Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What caused the Late Bronze Age Collapse?
goku
gently caress you
The Sea Peoples
semen
The Dorians
The Doors
:iiam:
:chaostrump:
:burgerpug:
:secsmug:
:420:
:wink:
Natural disasters
Climate change
:krust:
View Results

• Locked thread
Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I fondly remember the ITT Bronze Age Collapse thread.

Someone posted lines of the Illiad along with pictures of Mycenaean armour and it was really cool to see that the descriptions of boar tusk helmets and the like were dead on. It was pointed out that the only part of a Mycenaean noble (i.e Achilles) that wasn't covered in bronze armour was the heels. Very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Randaconda posted:

The book by the same title is really good.

Seconding. One of the best books on the period.

Can someone briefly explain how Palace-based economies worked? It's one of the things from the period I can't wrap my head around.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How did temple prostitution work?

Durrant says that in Babylon all women had to go to the temple and whore themselves out before before being married. Was that a real phenomenon?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

hakimashou posted:

Yeah it was like volunteering.

Was it sincere religious devotion or a way to get a dowry? Maybe both?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wish there was more popular history on Assyria that wasn’t based on work done in the 20’s and 30’s. Authors know that the Assyrians exaggerated their atrocities as a form of intimidating propaganda and yet history books are still full of pages and pages of descriptions of mutilating prisoners which while exciting, overlooks how Assyria worked as a functional society.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I know social history is usually seen as not very exciting, but it drives me crazy that there are hundreds of English language texts on everyday life in Rome or Medieval England but every other civilization might get a quick blurb on their staple food and mention that peasants were poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Osprey illustrations are pretty great.

• Locked thread