Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What caused the Late Bronze Age Collapse?
goku
gently caress you
The Sea Peoples
semen
The Dorians
The Doors
:iiam:
:chaostrump:
:burgerpug:
:secsmug:
:420:
:wink:
Natural disasters
Climate change
:krust:
View Results

• Locked thread
Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
One of the things which changed my perception on life forever was touching an inscription by Xerxes, located just outside the gargantuan hewn-out throne room of the rock of Van - imperial capital of ancient Urartu. Went to Gobleki-Tepi a couple of days later.

Anatolia is really cool if you're an ancient / bronze-age history buff, the Turks don't particularly give two shits about ruins that aren't islamic so you have access to places that in other countries would have been fenced off for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Telsa Cola posted:

So I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat here but honestly people shouldn't touch things of archaeological or historical significance with their bare hands unless its been okayed and even then I'm hesitant. The oils gently caress things up alone not to mention the damaging effect of repeated touching. Its been a real problem at archaeological sites and museums.

That being said, Im glad you had a moment of connection with history and I wish more people had that. I have seen enough carved modern graffiti on ancient sites to make me wish people either respected it more or just didn't have access to it. There has been an ongoing debate in heritage management basically around this topic and it doesn't look like it will be settled soon.

I'm aware, I worked as a museum collections archivest for some years. I figure that since I had to freeclimb 60 feet of poo poo rock to do this that there wasn't much risk of erosion from casual tourists. :v:

That Robot posted:

Did you see any Ancient Greek ruins in Anatolia? Also how was Gobleki-Tepi?

Lots, Hasenkeyf is a massive city going back to the bronze age which the Turks are about to flood behind a dam, stunning volume of things to explore there because, again, they give no shits about anything not Turkish.

Gobleki-Tepi was mind blowing on an existencial level but the really cool stuff is actually in the museums at Salinurfa and Ankara.

Rime fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 9, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Oh, hey, new tablets!

Archaeologists Uncover 3,250-Year Old Middle Assyrian Tablets In Iraq’s Kurdistan

Unfortunate that they were unbaked. :(

• Locked thread