Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What caused the Late Bronze Age Collapse?
goku
gently caress you
The Sea Peoples
semen
The Dorians
The Doors
:iiam:
:chaostrump:
:burgerpug:
:secsmug:
:420:
:wink:
Natural disasters
Climate change
:krust:
View Results

• Locked thread
Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

http://ancientworldpodcast.blogspot.com/

Is a very good, and EXTREMELY LONG podcast regarding ancient history. If you have hundreds of hours to waste, or a specific interest, give it a listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm sorry that this is NOT Bronze Age Collapse related, but this is GBS's only running history thread so I just wanted to say I just found out that Mike Duncan, host of the awesome "History of Rome" podcast just published a book:

The Storm Before The Storm

About the Marius/Sulla/Gracchi adventures in the generation(s) RIGHT before Caeser.
This is an amazingly interesting time frame filled with really cool poo poo. If you liked the podcast, you may want to look into it.
I have not gotten it so can't vouch for it, but just wanted to toss in some free pub for a good history dude.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

just another posted:

so what was so special about Central and South America that enabled such large and complex cultures to flourish there?

i mean up here in the Pacific Northwest we had some pretty dense population pockets thanks to stable and bounteous food supplies, but none of the temples or earthworks.

Or is it not enough to have infinite salmon if you don't have expansive agriculture to keep people rooted in place?

This isn't intended to sound dismissive.

.Population density at the times you're comparing
.Scarcity of foodstuffs as a result, especially seasonally (did lack of scarcity drive improvements in technology)
.Population influx/trade route availability from other areas, and navigability of the area
.(this is a bad term, but) 'workability' of resources of 'impermeable' structures like the stone/bedrock exposed to them?

I'm legit not calling them out, I'm curious.
E: I'm also certain that my questions make me seem a total rube idiot, they were just my first thoughts. Sorry.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 17, 2017

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Holy cow, the skill and tact that went into that.

Obviously you get into so many facets of architecture, science, art, mathematics, that were lost, refound (or weren't!), and just to see an object like that. ...My gosh, profanity doesn't do it justice.

Years of artistic training, dealing with the medium, having to sculpt something like that in such prose, in miniature, knowing that this, while, amazing thing, wasn't just done once, but done by someone who had to have been schooled amongst peers who did similar works which are no longer extant...homina homina...

You know what I mean? This wasn't just one lady or some dude churning these out, right? This took generations of schooling to get the design right and get this poo poo down, and then to find the right medium to lay it out in. Awesome.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 17, 2017

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'd love to know the interpretation of the inscription, based on the line drawing, of what is happening in that scene.

"The nude warrior absorbs a shield charge, coming from an opponent coming from the higher ground and insta kills him via thrust through the lungs/heart body cavity"

Why the bulbous ends for their halberds for non-blunted weapons?
I dig that he's already killed his opponent's buddy based on their pre-tartan underpants (yes way out of date, but if the pattern is true, it's tartan underpants, kidding).

Why did an armored pike-run down a hill fail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

so what did happen to the semen peoples

They came

• Locked thread