Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What caused the Late Bronze Age Collapse?
goku
gently caress you
The Sea Peoples
semen
The Dorians
The Doors
:iiam:
:chaostrump:
:burgerpug:
:secsmug:
:420:
:wink:
Natural disasters
Climate change
:krust:
View Results

• Locked thread
Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The bronze age was bullshit anyway, all the good stuff happened a few centuries after the collapse. The same thing will happen to us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Iron had nothing to do with the bronze age collapse. It only became widely used after the collapse and bronze continued to be used alongside it for many centuries.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Seriously though, the bronze age people were heathens and that's why they were rightfully punished. The same thing is happening today.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

buckets of buckets posted:

How does this confirm the myths am I missing something? We already knew Troy was real and the Iliad revolves around the greeks invading troy, rather than some kind of trojan sea people hybrid attacking the hellenes

It doesn't really confirm anything, but we have some Hittite letters that speak of Wilusa (Ilion is another name for Troy and gave the Iliad its name), Piyama-Radu (kind of sounds like Priam) and Aleksandu (Paris is also named Alexander in the Iliad) but they have very different roles than in the Iliad, as Piyama-Radu was some sort of warlord and Aleksandu was king of Wilusa. The Hittites also speak of a kingdom of Ahhiyawa (Homer calls the Greeks Achaioi) in the West and they were sometimes in conflict with these people. So it seems likely that the Iliad and Odyssey preserve a distant memory of a real conflict, but with the details garbled over the years and of course whatever the conflict in question was it's unlikely gods played any role in it.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Rationale posted:

Iron weapons aren't superior they're just cheap. If you could do iron you had more weapons.

I think the sea people were just mercenaries turned pirates. They smashed a bunch of stuff, stole everything they could carry, and went back to getting drunk in the mountains.

Farmers retreated into the mountains to escape the sea peoples.

Change your hypothesis to getting drunk at sea like true pirates and it's good.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Erghh posted:

Shout out to the Dorians in the house.

Half-remembered history is awesome. It's amazing what people come up with to fill in the gaps/explain poo poo.

See also.

Dorians were like modern day Conservatives. They correspond.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

buckets of buckets posted:

lol if you dont think ares started ww2 but artemis won it

lol it was zeus' will that hitler invade russia lmao it was destined

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Erghh posted:

I can see that.

So the question is who was bronze age Trump?

If he wasn't too early for the collapse I'd say Shuppiluliuma.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

That Robot posted:

Actually the Bronze Age ancient Mesopotamian pantheon rules.

Ishtanna was vengeful when mortals wouldn't have sex with her. Well, who's having sex with her now??

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I think the bronze age people were decadent homosex partiers which caused the collapse.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

My religious grandparents and thus parents were convinced when I was a kid that the Roman empire fell because it "went against God and became corrupt."

When I actually read history I realized it was more "The Romans found monotheistic religion when they were on the way out."

They were also very religiously tolerant when they were at their height.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I don't think the sea peoples belonged to one ethnicity. It's hard to say though. The Egyptians mention a group of sea people called Peleset who may be the biblical Philistines, and the Philistines seem to have something in common with people living in the Aegean at the time.

Did DP cause the bronze age collapse? Yes, says prominent archaeologists.

Grevling fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 15, 2017

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Eric Cline is cool.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The thing to remember about these earlier cults, like in Mesopotamian cities and mainstream Greek and Roman religion, is that most worship was done collectively by offering prayers and sacrifices on behalf of the whole city. It was communal religion in a way that's almost gone now. The idea was to keep the gods satisfied so bad things didn't happen, it was like a mix between paying for insurance and a protection racket. If you look at how much ancient Athens spent on religion each year you get a sense of how important it was. I don't have the figure on me now though.

People also had their own household gods and superstitions, but even then they would often ask them to protect the family rather than the individual. Later on you'd get cults that were more focused on the individual's personal development and deliverance, Christianity being one of them.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm reminded of my (drunken, obviously) idea about Grog, the Prehistoric Alcoholic, the world's first caveman wino.

He and his buddy Magrog had many adventures.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

wide stance posted:

I still find it ironic that the only hard* evidence of a large bronze age battle is way the heck north of civilization, of which no account of history can make any sense of.

Or, why are dudes from the Iberian peninsula brutally fighting other dudes in northern Germany. A place cold as gently caress with no writing or anything of value to anyone at the time.

By *hard I mean actual clumps of bodies of fallen soldiers with hacked up bones and lodged arrowheads. Also healed bones from previous battle wounds and fancy warrior swag for the time.

The dates apparently don't match but here's what I want to believe happened: it's around the time of the bronze age collapse and the ruling elites all over Europe, whose power base derives from trade with the Mediterranean, are suddenly not having any traders show up and so a big expedition is sent out to figure out what the gently caress is going on. The site of the battle is as far as they came.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Maybe they didn't have ocean going boats.

Or maybe they were just tourists interested in the German countryside. I now think it's that.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

All mythical stories of heroes battling "dragons" can actually be rationally explained as fights with giant snakes.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

We need a new thread to talk about how cool Ötzi was.

Killing people with his bow and arrow, and pulling the arrows out of them to kill again.

They probably lured him into that glacier because it was the only was they could ever hope to kill him.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

ArmZ posted:

I was going to ask about him. was he from the bronze age?

He was a Neolithic man. He had a copper axe though.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Yeah, they were extinct at 1700 BC, which means that there were still mammoths around when people started building pyramids in Egypt.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Randaconda posted:

Wasn't it the dwarf mammoth that was still hanging out on some islands?

Yes, they were smaller and lived on Wrangel island. Russians still collect mammoth tusks there for ivory.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

This guy's channel is a goddamn pro-click.

Also recommend the book 1177 BC, it's a blast to read.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

He's charismatic but unfortunately he's flippant and his hot takes are often pretty far off.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I wonder if the motif on that gem is from some kind of myth or if it's just a generic scene of war. My money is on the former. I suppose it would be too much of ask of them to just carve E-RA-KLE-WE or something on the back, stupid dang Myceneans.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

If you think about it, just by having balls you're teabagging the history of the future.

Only if you dip your balls in a womb so you'll have descendants.

That's awesome! Hopefully it will be possible to read some of them.

Speaking of cuneiform, has anyone linked to a video of Irving Finkel yet? That guy rocks (and clays).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_fkpZSnz2I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOwP0KUlnZg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

I was at some ruins in CZ from like 1000ad and they had a big section where they encouraged you to touch these big old stone tombs and carvings to really connect physically with history. I didn't gently caress any of it though.

You insulted the Czech people gravely by not loving the stones, this is why no one likes tourists.

• Locked thread