Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What caused the Late Bronze Age Collapse?
goku
gently caress you
The Sea Peoples
semen
The Dorians
The Doors
:iiam:
:chaostrump:
:burgerpug:
:secsmug:
:420:
:wink:
Natural disasters
Climate change
:krust:
View Results

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Sea people' are actually just pirates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I recall watching a documentary that basically described an economic bubble of bronze in the British isles, where the spread of better ironworking techniques suddenly rendered entire arsenals obsolete.

Ancient history is awesome.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My guess is that Sea People were proto-Carthaginians.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

A smart person. Iron working is more complicated than most people think. It's not just throw a red rock over some fire. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrought_iron

So basically, bronze requires more materials and thus is more expensive to make, but easier to work with at the start, while iron is harder to use but incredibly useful once you figure out how?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grevling posted:

They were also very religiously tolerant when they were at their height.

They had trouble with Jews and later Christians. Though mostly because the nature of Christianity and Judaism was so different from what was the mainstream of religion back in the day that it was near impossible to understand from a cursory look and almost looked like atheism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

naem posted:

Yes exactly. Bronze also doesn't rust and can be reused; its not as strong as steel but after a battle you can pick up the broken pieces of damaged gear and melt it down and pour into a mold for more swords etc

Iron is like everywhere though and once people were forced (from lack of tin to make bronze with) to try to make crude steel (iron is soft and alloying/hardening it takes crazy high temperatures) they realized EVERYONE could have metal tools/weapons

A more recent thing could be aluminium; it used to literally be more valuable than gold, and so hard to get it was actually obscure (and possibly the inspiration for Tolkein's Mithril). Then suddenly they discovered they could process it from bauxite, and it became used for everything, especially cheap disposable/recyclable containers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbf mostly I just enjoyed the mental image of a gaggle of archaeologists digging up a guy with massive crush injuries and immediately deciding that temple of doom was a documentary

if I spend 100k learning to dig up pottery you better believe that everything I find is going to be from a death cult

Archaeologists are so prone to this there's frequent jokes in sci-fi and post-apocalyptic settings of future people assuming Mickey Mouse and Goofy were animal-headed gods.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Blue Star posted:

Here's something i've often wondered about polytheistic religions:

Were all of the different temples dedicated to a specific god part of the same system? Like if I go to a city and there's a temple to Ishtar, and then I go to another city and there's another temple to Ishtar, are these two temples connected? Do they communicate, send letters to each other? If you're a priest in one temple, can you get transferred to another?

Depends wildly on the religion, and where you are, I imagine. The state religion in Rome, for example, might be centralised under a Chief Priest, who in some cases is the Emperor himself, and have some measure of centralisation as part of the government. Something similar would probably apply for the Caliphate later. And of course, plenty of places where the king is also considered a god, and is thus on top of the religious heirarchy, though how much they are personally involved in it may vary.

Temples that worship the same god or practices might at least in theory be in touch, and if a temple is in need of a new priest then they might send a messenger to ask and an acolyte might travel to set up shop there, at the very least. Although there might be as much rivalry or conflict over different practices and interpretations. (as there is ever)

Should be noted that with polytheistic religions, you'd often have different levels of participation; people visiting to pray and offer sacrifices for things under the god's domain; whether a sacrifice to Mercury for safe travel, to Neptune for a safe and swift voyage, and so on; and then the inner cult for worshippers dedicated to that particular god and temple, which ranges from outright cults to something resembling a fraternity. (Which I'm pretty sure take at least superficial inspiration from mystery cults, hence being 'Greeks')

I'm not sure if the Catholic church has any precedent for being an explicit religious organisation that crosses national boundaries with its own hierarchy and management.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I love threads like this. I feel one of the best ways to understand history is to try and get a feel for what it was like to live in that day and age, how things were different (or similar) to modern life and what views on the world might have been like.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of my (drunken, obviously) idea about Grog, the Prehistoric Alcoholic, the world's first caveman wino.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Obsidian's main use by Mesoamerican civilisations was for blades, since it gets insanely sharp, and even then for weapons they slotted obsidian blades into wooden frames. (which would also serve as clubs for when you didn't want to kill people and instead take them captive for ritual sacrifice)

It's different circumstances and opportunities; not enough good iron and not enough pressure to develop it, and isolation from civilisations that did. Similar reason native Australians never developed much technology; hard to when you don't have any of the reliable crops or livestock the rest of the world took for granted.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

naem posted:

Conan was set in the the chaotic dark ages after Bronze Age civilization collapse and before the Iron Age reorganized people back into nation states, especially the part with the giant snake

I recall learning in Classical Studies that a lot of Homeric stories and mythology were basically the Greeks looking back at a bygone era before the collapse and reformation of civilisation, a historical wild west where anything could have happened.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm the world's first town drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

might have something to do with ancient rome being part of english history. if you want to do serious history about other cultures you are going to have to learn another language. heck if you want to learn any serious European history you will need another language.

history professors are almost 100% bilingual

I'm reminded of Tolkien, that dude knew a zillion languages including a few he made up.

• Locked thread