Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What caused the Late Bronze Age Collapse?
goku
gently caress you
The Sea Peoples
semen
The Dorians
The Doors
:iiam:
:chaostrump:
:burgerpug:
:secsmug:
:420:
:wink:
Natural disasters
Climate change
:krust:
View Results

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i know the time lines dont line up, but i still say iron weapons killed the bronze age. it makes perfect sense, ironworking is the ultimate disruptive technology. to make bronze requires extensive trade routes and developed civilization, but any hillbilly in the back woods can smelt bog iron. suddenly the fringe people can make weapons, when before only the powerful could afford them. recipe for disaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

They had trouble with Jews and later Christians. Though mostly because the nature of Christianity and Judaism was so different from what was the mainstream of religion back in the day that it was near impossible to understand from a cursory look and almost looked like atheism.

romans didn't give a poo poo about understanding your religion, all they cared about was doing some token sacrifices to the emperor to show your loyalty. you didn't even have to believe in it, you just had to do the physical actions. i don't think its fair to say romans had a problem with jews and christians, it was jews and christians that had a problem with Rome

not that rome was 100% religiously tolerant. they suppressed the gently caress out the the drudic religion, but thats because they like to sacrifice babies so i will give them a pass.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
dp

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hihohe posted:

Were Aztecs and Mayans a bronze age civilization?

no, the Mayans were around about the same time as the Roman Empire. well into the iron age in europe.

the maya had some primative metal working, gold/silver/copper. stuff that is easily worked, but mostly for jewelry not weapons/tools

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

That Robot posted:

I still have to wonder how Plato conceived of the idea of Atlantis — if it was a distant memory of the palatial polities in the Mycenaean period, Minoan Crete, a hitherto undocumented civilization or if he was doing it for the lols.

he didn't make it up, Solon told him about it man :tinfoil:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

wide stance posted:

I still find it ironic that the only hard* evidence of a large bronze age battle is way the heck north of civilization, of which no account of history can make any sense of.

Or, why are dudes from the Iberian peninsula brutally fighting other dudes in northern Germany. A place cold as gently caress with no writing or anything of value to anyone at the time.

By *hard I mean actual clumps of bodies of fallen soldiers with hacked up bones and lodged arrowheads. Also healed bones from previous battle wounds and fancy warrior swag for the time.

chew on this: we've had organized societies a lot longer than we have had metal weapons. there is 6,000 years of what we would consider proper "history" with kings and cities and all that before the bronze age. the Neolithic, now thats a mysterious age. none of that poo poo was written down of course, because writing wasn't invented yet!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Grevling posted:

The dates apparently don't match but here's what I want to believe happened: it's around the time of the bronze age collapse and the ruling elites all over Europe, whose power base derives from trade with the Mediterranean, are suddenly not having any traders show up and so a big expedition is sent out to figure out what the gently caress is going on. The site of the battle is as far as they came.

walking from spain to turkey is a bit of a challenge. they maybe should have taken a boat

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i already tried my man, they just dont seem interested in the neolithic. this is bronze town. perhaps we should make our own neolithic thread, maybe give it a flintstones theme?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Speleothing posted:

Naw, I'm super into it. The real trick is to get people to stop talking about iron age things like Rome and Greece.

Tell me about the big cities. Did Zuul wreck some faces?

no one really knows! none of it was written down or remembered. at best we can say things like "this culture makes pottery like this, unlike the culture over here that makes pottery like that". there are mass graves with weapon wounds from that period, so there was definitely something resembling warfare from time to time:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/aug/17/mass-grave-prehistoric-warfare-ancient-european-farming-community-neolithic

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SniperWoreConverse posted:

how were these made, seriously. They're beautiful.

I want to melt down my beer cans and steal scrap copper and make this how do I do it

bronze melts down nice and easy, its actually not that hard. they melt a bunch of bronze and cast the entire sword/hilt in a sand/clay mix. it would look like a jagged mess when its first cast, so they then clip off the extra bits of bronze and polish it by rubbing it down with fine sand.

its a lot more work to make a steel sword

Telsa Cola posted:

But there is nothing to prevent someone from
doing so in a H/G society, people weren't just going out and bringing back exactly x amount for x people, surplus got brought back which could be stored and traded. The average "work" week for a H/G just to get food is often put at around 20ish hours which is little more then 3 hours a day which means you could gently caress off and do crafts for the rest of your time if you wanted too. Basically food production was not a bar to specialization.

Basically to answer the original question we dont actually know why societies got more complex and there are a poo poo ton of possible answers ranging from economic to political reasons.

sure you have lots of leisure time as a hunter gatherer, but you also have to carry everything you own on your back. that doesn't leave a lot of room for elaborate art or heavy tools that are not absolutely essential. people began to specialize and create different objects (like pottery) once they were settled and didn't have to carry all of their poo poo around everywhere.

Edit: Though it just occurred to me, some hunter gatherers did use their vast leisure time to build monuments. They didn't carry it around though, they left them behind for large portions of the year. They were quite elaborate though, for people using stone tools who haven't even figured out agriculture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHG9URGDt6s

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 24, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

That Robot posted:

I’ll allow it. I love history in general, particularly antiquity.

There was some intricately carved gemstone from Mycenae that was found recently. It supposedly had better perspective and skill than anything previously discovered from that period.

It’s pretty cool to find something like this not only from Ancient Greece but OG Ancient Greece.

:eyepop:
wow thats really good poo poo! I though those guys could only manage those geometric patterns. thats quite impressive

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I know social history is usually seen as not very exciting, but it drives me crazy that there are hundreds of English language texts on everyday life in Rome or Medieval England but every other civilization might get a quick blurb on their staple food and mention that peasants were poor.

might have something to do with ancient rome being part of english history. if you want to do serious history about other cultures you are going to have to learn another language. heck if you want to learn any serious European history you will need another language.

history professors are almost 100% bilingual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

basic hitler posted:

nobody imagines what their oils and hands can do to things., but it really is profound, especially with older things.

Just reading an old copy of dune, the copy I have is from 1984 and has a bunch of movie advertising on it lol, and just turning the page in the wrong place can fade the lettering.

i work in a historical archive of rare documents. we only put the gloves on when handling stuff in front public rubes like you. in the back room we just free handle the centuries old books :twisted:

• Locked thread