Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I could use a numpad I guess, my kinesis doesn’t have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

oh I had one of those.
https://i.imgur.com/xdXmIzB.mp4

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

bought a k7 only to realize it has no tilde or backtick

why the gently caress would you make a keyboard with no tilde or backtick?!??

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

outhole surfer posted:

They are likely on a layer, usually under Esc.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah its fn1/fn2 + esc

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

outhole surfer posted:

The same reason some lunatics like 40% boards. "Well, I don't ever use that key, so why should it be on my board?"

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hey I was curious and I looked it up, apparently resting your wrists is bad form because it encourages slouching. it’s better to hover as you type because it allows you to use your shoulder muscles which also reduces the load on your wrists. what does the keybaors thread think?? I’m trying my kinesis without wrist rests (I have both tenting kits lol) and it’s definitely making me sit up straighter

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
at my pc I sit on a rocking stool that works like a marissa ball. it’s good for posture i suspect coz I do sit up straight a lot

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I have a rocking stool too I should try it again

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

hey I was curious and I looked it up, apparently resting your wrists is bad form because it encourages slouching. it’s better to hover as you type because it allows you to use your shoulder muscles which also reduces the load on your wrists. what does the keybaors thread think?? I’m trying my kinesis without wrist rests (I have both tenting kits lol) and it’s definitely making me sit up straighter

yeah i'm movin around so much on my keyboard when playing game (the bulk of my computering) that my wrists never hit the desk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

keyboard should be as flat and low as possible so that you can rest your entire forearm on the desk while typing. the most biologically neutral position.

a wrist rest would be fine but i think it'd be better if it's like a foot deep. wrist pillow

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

i once saw a desk with the keyboard area 'scooped' into it so the keyboard rested with the front edge pointing downward, almost toward your knees

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, ok, this is tolerable with the fn keys

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m back to the wrist rests. with the boards tented, they’re up too high to be comfortable and I can’t lower my desk any more without it hitting my knees. ain’t gonna lay them flat either, tenting is vital

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

keyboard should be as flat and low as possible so that you can rest your entire forearm on the desk while typing. the most biologically neutral position.

a wrist rest would be fine but i think it'd be better if it's like a foot deep. wrist pillow

every time I sit at a common workstation I have to flip up those stupid little keyboard feet. some of the Dell or hp keyboards are wedge shaped so you can’t get them even close to flat, drives me nuts

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
work kb is 5.5 degrees, home kb is completely flat, works well enough for me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m back to the wrist rests. with the boards tented, they’re up too high to be comfortable and I can’t lower my desk any more without it hitting my knees. ain’t gonna lay them flat either, tenting is vital

Ohhh thought you were using a flat board. yeah i'd have to use wrist rests if my keyboard was pitchin a tent

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the dispensary manager at work doesn’t like change and so we’re just stuck with having them in an rsi encouraging position

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
c3 pro's back on sale if anybody missed it first go-round and need a good cheapie

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CBWH8VPN?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_54NV3KPW5C1W76R51F8Y&th=1

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

well i found out why there are hardly any replacement keycap sets for the kinesis advantage lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Here you go:

https://kinesis-ergo.com/shop/dvorak-keycap-set/

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

New Kinesis keyboard I haven't seen before.

https://kinesis-ergo.com/shop/advantage360-signature/

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

haha that is literally the exact keycap set i'm typing on right now. they used to sell the kinesis advantage 2 with those keycaps straight from the factory but i guess they discontinued that SKU? https://www.ergodirect.com/18612-kinesis-kb600qd-advantage2-qd-ergonomic-keyboard.html

problem is they're ABS and not PBT

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
still use my 7 years old filco majestouch 2 convertible and it's need suiting

Olivil fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 29, 2024

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
A few weeks ago I pre-ordered a nuphy gem80 solely based on the length of ad copy on the product page and the inclusion of videos depicting the typing sounds. It came in the other day and it's been everything I imagine I might have hoped it would be, had I actually read that product page.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
keychron q0 numpad barebones arrived today, lubed the stabs and put on bobas. feels good man

Empty Pockets posted:

A few weeks ago I pre-ordered a nuphy gem80 solely based on the length of ad copy on the product page and the inclusion of videos depicting the typing sounds. It came in the other day and it's been everything I imagine I might have hoped it would be, had I actually read that product page.

awesome, if i was looking for a tkl that would be it

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

gnatalie posted:

keychron q0 numpad barebones arrived today, lubed the stabs and put on bobas

rejected dracula flow lines

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

anyone tried the moergo glove80?

looks like they use low profile kailh choc v1 (red, red pro, white, brown). what do folks think about those switch types

i'm reading that kailh choc v1 whites don't necessarily match up between the clicking mechanism and the actuation mechanism and that the browns are kinda scratchy? are the reds any good?

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper
i use the choc white v1 and i like them, but box white are my favorite. the click and actuation are close enough, that i've never noticed.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Finally figured out a numpad layer setup I like:

+ 7 8 9 0
- 4 5 6 /
. 1 2 3 =

Over:

q w e r t
a s d f g
z x c v b

Shift + for *, Shift - for /
Tap right shift to activate the layer one shot, double tap to toggle the layer on/off.

It might be my 'tism showing but I get immense satisfaction out of tailoring my keymap to my personal preference, been thinking of spinning up a little web app to demonstrate what I've come up with.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i simply use a physical numpad

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I don't have a numpad on good computer, only on bad computer.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/8s2JzbB.mp4
Set up some nifty layer/state LED indication stuff

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that’s sick

I keep meaning to do that too

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

https://github.com/KohlJary/qmk_firmware/commits/kohl-config/

Can take a look at the commits from today and should be able to figure the rest out from that I think. Added indicators for all of the different modifier combination states, also split which keys have their LEDs modified depending on the condition.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i thought the product photos were just like, a teardown, so imagine my surprise when this little fucker came in 3 boxes, one with kb, one with switches, one with caps

First time i've done that!

it's pretty slick, i like it. there was a 20% off coupon when i got it, so it was 57 bucks after tax for an alice board with qmk/via, south facing rgb, bt/2.4/usbc, double gasket, hotswap

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CYP9Z5M4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought alice meant it had two B keys, huh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Some of them run double B's, some don't. I know how to type so i prefer the single ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t know how to type, and want a double Y too