Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i keep wanting to learn emacs as the people that are really good at it seem exceptionally competent

also magit looks like a pretty good way to use git

possibly doom branding will get me to take the plunge finally https://github.com/hlissner/doom-emacs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

eschaton posted:

did you know they made this with a proper layout too, with the control key in the right place?

my type 5 was my favorite keyboard ever :( though i barely remember how the key switches themselves felt, it seemed Fine. also: compose key

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
accidentally clenched and pasted ascii art dongs into workslack

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Sagebrush posted:

i believe that's the v6 and i am seriously considering one

the cable coming out looked like it was the tip of a vape apparatus for a moment and i had a 'of /course/ there's a keyboard with a built-in vape' thought. at least the 105-key yosvape is just vaporware for now

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
I need a new keyboard. Cared too hard and got an Ergodox EZ that honestly hasn't been great for me, but at least a previous employer paid for it. Anyone that formerly was a model m kid have anything they swear by? (look, i literally grew up with a model m and am mad it's a hipster thing now)

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
the gentle curve was very nice, and the keycap shape made it easy to know where you were! plus i'm an idiot and do like the clicks, but as long as it's crisp and not mushy i don't care overly- i think a straight-up model m clickiness is probably too much

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
ty for the good advice! i'm gonna spec this out now

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
yeah, while i kinda like the tactile feel the clickiness itself is a little too much- i think my ergodox has cherry mx browns but it's honestly too mushy. i wish there were a keyboard store to go sample this stuff at :(

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

It's not free but these are definitely a thing on amazon

i feel like i should buy one of these, get what i need out of it, and stick it in one of the little free libraries for the next idiot that needs it

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
yeah, i'm extremely wary of actual long-term quality of keyboards. the last two i've had suffered eventual key-repeat issues; at least my most recent one has qmk so i could screw with debounce timing, but i consider that not a real solution. sucks to hear about keychron, they were my main contender :(

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

another week another keychron

my first wired only one. mostly a backup slash alternative keyb for the gamin pc

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CBWJ9SKX?smid=ASKDIKGC8TC4&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1

if the deal stops just know that this mf was $27.99 lol. ridiculous deal for what u get.

also red backlight HACKER MODE

well i can't not jump at that, ty :cool:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
as long as i'm in a keyboard-buyin' mood i got a present for a big tolkienhead friend with an upcoming birthday, check this wacky thing out

https://drop.com/buy/drop-the-lord-of-the-rings-elvish-keyboard

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

they have started giving the gimmick tinymonitor keyboards flip-up

hm.

feels weird but that's actually kind of cute and might look good on a desk with the right surrounding aesthetic

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i'm also liking that cheap keychron way more than i expected to. it's not Crisp like i usually like but still very pleasant to type on and not error prone. biggest complaint: the scrub-tier 'mac/pc' toggle combo but i guess i just gotta reflash it for whatever i want for the long haul, nbd. absolutely worth the paltry pricetag

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

since we were talkin elsewhere i made yall a video of some of my keyboards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQS5KkX_pxs

dope! in your opinion, what's best/least irritating to actually use of those for non-james activities? i forgot how kinda 'loose' the M sounds after all these years

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i got that cheapo keychron (c3 pro) that jonny mentioned a bit ago and tbh it's pretty drat nice for a $30 keyboard

i did wind up getting a 'nice' keyboard from drop (the ctrl v2), though. feels like a murder weapon from a modern columbo

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
so i got a recent employer to foot the bill for a prev-gen ergodox and i gotta say that aside from the split keyboard thing i honestly wasn't a fan of the ortholinear thing. and i really wanted to like it! but after a year i could tell i was actively avoiding ever using it, which is obviously the opposite of the point. maybe it works for some folks but i'm drat happy with my normal, non-ortho ctrl v2

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

post hole digger posted:

please, step into my keyboard cellar,

Model M for Montressor

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

gnatalie posted:

keychron q0 numpad barebones arrived today, lubed the stabs and put on bobas

rejected dracula flow lines

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

shiiit the wired ones are even cheaper. alice qmk board for 40 bucks if u want.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CRVLP3F5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2A8YG9H54A5SR&psc=1

how do you like the lack of shine-through lighting in the keys? is it still pretty much Fine? (i can't believe i'm even thinking about buying another keyboard but i like the physical layout a lot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

you're not supposed to actually use those keyboards for typing a lot. they're for posting soft-lit photos of and making snobby youtubes about

lol

yeah i keep wanting to get a kinesis. the shittiest job i ever had (maintaining chef cookbooks for openstack lomarf) also had an advantage 2 for me in my isocube and it was great