Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is someone really selling dactyls for 1.6 grand lmao

Ah, but they have build in wireless charging, so that makes up, oh, $100 of that price.

The other $1200, though... :capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah, i bought a smaller board recently, and my workflow is not taking a lack of arrow keys well. lack of f-keys too, but i press them less frequently.

I recently bought a Keychron Q10 and it's drat near my endgame. 75% Arisu, got my F-row, got my arrow keys, got a volume knob in the top left. My only real issue is no right Ctrl key, and I do use several right handed Ctrl and other key shortcuts. Feels like there is room for it in the bottom right, too. They just chose not to put one in.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

I can't find a Q10 kit for sale anywhere right now, it's nuts.

Also sort of nuts: Woot has a 60% analog keyboard up for pre-order now. https://next.wooting.io/wooting-60he

Oh, they had a full-sized one already: https://next.wooting.io/wooting-two-he

Keychron has the barebones Q10 with a knob in black available right now: https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q10-alice-layout-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40247689674841

Oh, gently caress me. They're sold out, but you can get the barebones in Purple now, too. My wife is going to want one.

And the Wooting 60 HE is kind of almost cheating now for Valorant or Apex players at the ultra-high end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glQNEbh79xg&t=277s

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

fritz posted:

Just a couple weeks ago I got my first mechanical keyboard, a Keychron K10, I don't know how I missed that the Q10 is in that alice layout, now I'm mildly kicking myself.

I should have bought the barebones black. I bought the silver color with keycaps and switches. Yeah it was only $20 more for caps and switches, but I don't like the Gateron Blues (not stiff enough, way too light after typing on Kailh Box Navies). The caps are ok, though.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

40g? Those'll activate if you look at them funny.

I'm using the Cerakey ceramic caps on my Q10. The normal right shift works for your right spacebar and it came with a short right shift.

You just need a 2u shift instead of the 2.75 normal right shift, and then 2.25 and 2.75 spacebars.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, I also got some 70g ones to try as well.

well of course that's a thing. might be heavy enough to trigger the 40gs themselves, heh

did you get those extra keys from Cerakey, or mix and match from other stuff?

It was all in one kit. I am having to use the 2u 0 key from the numpad as my left spacebar but the slight gaps aren't an issue for me. I only use the left B so I repurposed my right B key in VIA to be the missing right Ctrl key I do actually use from time to time.

They are really weird at first, but once you adapt to the cool and slick feel of the caps, they're awesome. I do have a slight complaint about the black version in that the glazing thickness is inconsistent so the shinethru of the RGB is a little hit or miss, but the white ones have no issues at all from what I have seen. Very happy with my purchase overall, and they shipped from Hong Kong without any issue in under a week. (The Kickstarter took a while to get specific editions done, but, well, Kickstarter. As long as you get what you paid for, you know the risks.)

They're now selling through IndieGogo for $140 USD for the 113 key base kit. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cerakey-first-keycaps-set-that-made-of-ceramic#/

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 5, 2022

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

I guess this is how my hypomania works now, huh

Mine was what got me started into mechanical keyboards to begin with. I just wasn't happy with how my keyboard sounded, and I was wanting more RGB blinkenlighten... but I also wanted a split and/or ergo board to deal with my carpal tunnel issues... Anyway, six boards later, here we are.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

jony neuemonic posted:

wow these are uh, interesting. I got box jades and they’re heavier than I expected but I think I like em. they don’t feel heavy in the same way clears do. it feels like it takes a bit to get them moving but then they’re nice and snappy.

I've gone completely over to the Dark side. Box Navy. Jades are just too lightweight for me now.

I do enjoy Gateron Oil Kings though, for my arrow keys. Holding them down and just giving me the nice change of pace compared to "how much spring force you want? All of it? Ok."

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

I have both a Logitech MX Master 3 and a Corsair Scimitar. I end up alternating between the two, but the odd thing is, I end up using the Scimitar for work just as much as for gaming. Shortcuts to Screen Grab, volume control, media control, horizontal scroll, and sniper, all without moving my thumb more than an inch at the most.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Armitag3 posted:

That's one nice slab of chocolate, though mine had Function keys and I can't do without

So you'll probably want the K8: https://a.co/d/3414nOW (Amazon)
https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k8-pro-qmk-via-wireless-mechanical-keyboard (Keychron)

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

uh oh, loaded my first customized firmware onto the q10 and it's really fun (it would be more fun if `qmk flash` worked and I didn't have to use the QMK Toolbox app)

this won't go anywhere good I'm sure

I just use the VIA suite for mine, but no, no good can come of custom layouts.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

cinci zoo sniper posted:

moonlander or ergodox via zsa.io, raise or defy via dygma.com. im on dygma raise atm myself, and while the software is clunky (while zsa seems to be literally best ever without writing your own firmware code), it still has allowed me to customize anything i've reached for

Moonlander and Ergodox are quasi-ortholinear boards and can throw muscle memory off if you have to jump back to a normal staggered board. Also the thumb clusters become very useful once you adapt the layout to your tastes and it just adds to the complexity of juggling back and forth.

I love my Ergodox, but I was missing the F-row so I've switched to a 75% Alice (Keychron Q10), and while I have my F-row again... I still kinda miss my thumb clusters. I need a Moonlander or Ergodox XL with an F-row, I guess.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Just a Moron posted:

Lord help me I'm thinking of spending >$300 on one of those moonlander keyboards. It feels boojie as hell but I am using the computer most of the day and my wrists and fingers are starting to feel it. I do still have to use a regular laptop keyboard fairly regularly, has anyone here successfully gotten comfortable switching between ortholinear and staggered layouts?

I've got an Ergodox EZ, the precursor to the Moonlander, and I loved it... except for the missing F-row. So I bought a Keychron Q10 (75% "Alice" style) which I also love, but now I miss the thumb clusters on the Ergodox. If you really adapt to it, you will have issues going back and forth to normal keyboards. There's just no way around it. Not major, but "doh, I meant to type =, not Backspace" will be frequent the first few hours of any shift one way or the other.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

I guess Cerakey shipped but I didn’t fill out my backer survey for some reason so probably a couple of weeks until I get mine. excited!

I'm hoping I finally get my stretch goal keys so I have actual spacebars for my Keychron Q10. Love the caps though.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

yeah I'm thinking about putting them on my Q10 but I forget if I ordered enough extra keys

The normal 108 key set will cover it. You just have to use your right shift as the right spacebar, and then a 0.25u-too short 0 from the numpad as your left spacebar... Hence my needing the stretch goal keys from Kickstarter.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Ceramics >>> all other materials. They just friggin' rule. Smooth, cool to the touch, semi-translucent if you want RGB lighting. Just the best.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

mediaphage posted:

yeah those are kinda interesting but lol @ $200 for keycaps

Hi, welcome to the wonderful world of mechanical keyboards. Not as expensive as audiophile-grade speakers, but they're working on it!

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jenny Agutter posted:

adults use a 10-key and function row

I had to break down and add on a Q0 numpad to the left of my Q10, so yes, despite the RGB insanity, and the macro keys, I've got a fully functional 108 key layout available to me. And missing the F-row is what led me to give up on using an Ergodox EZ.

Sagebrush posted:

i don't think i'd want to constantly type on ceramic, an incredibly hard and abrasive material

The caps themselves are so smooth to the touch that your fingers just kind of slide off of them. Pure downforce to overcome the keyswitch spring, but you don't really feel any "hardness" to them. I've used them with both Kailh BOX Navy and Gateron Oil Kings, so whether you go for super stiff and clicky, or just smooth elegance linear, the ceramic doesn't feel hard or abrasive at all.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

the Q10 has two B keys because I guess people who Type Correctly can use either thumb for that key on un-split keyboards. I thought it was silly but I have noticed that I do use both somehow

I just put my right alt that I never use as my Q10's second B key, and then my right Ctrl key as the right alt.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

echinopsis posted:

question that needs to be answered on top of how good a ‘board feels to type on is how many typos you make

imo blues and browns, are just a smidge too light.

is it greens that have the power and strength of clears but the click of blues? I would love to try but tbh idk think it’s necessary, clears still have that threshold to cross and that’s what matters

clacky boards may be superior still, and the clack is acceptable whereas the click is tinny and defeating

clears are clack-ish, the sound of bottoming out on a solid metal chassis

You want Kailh Box switches if you want the click but with more downforce needed to actuate. The difference between Kailh Box White, Box Jade, and Box Navy is kinda subtle, but I prefer Navy (the stiffest) out of any of them. They use a totally different technology to produce the click as opposed to a Cherry clicky switch so the clicks are less tinny, too.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

how split? the q10 is a full split (Alice) TKL that does QMK/VIA, but both halves are fixed to the same base so you can’t vary the angle or separation distance

(per-key RGB, 5 extra/macro keys, hotswap switches, etc)

Arisu (Alice with arrow keys) boards are always flat, AFAIK. I don't know of anybody who has yet to do an Arisu tented... maybe if all three of us go yell at Keychron they will? They seem to make every other crazy-rear end layout. The Q11 already exists as a split 75% board, just without any tenting.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Its a Rolex posted:

Q11 is promising if the switches are hot swappable, I guess I could 3D print some stands to tent it or something

It's just as programmable and remappable as any other Keychron hotswap board via, uh, VIA.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jonny 290 posted:

Page 3? gently caress that.

Queued another one, will be here Saturday.

keychron k8 with reds, though it's hotswap so i can gently caress with it

i like the caps they're like off an old mainframe terminal or smth

That specific color way is in tribute to the old IBM ThinkPads.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

echinopsis posted:

those keycaps are sick. is that DSA profile?

OSA.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

jony neuemonic posted:

keychron has a board with the numpad on the left now and i am mighty tempted

I just bought a Q0 numpad and have it to the left of my Q10. I think it's my endgame layout. Alice 75% and a left numpad.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

disaster pastor posted:

that's really pretty

hey, this is probably the right place to ask: where should I be looking if I want modern keyboard quality but some kind of grotesquely 1980s depravity? looks like my boss is going to walk over with his coffee and cigarette and be annoyed that I don't have an ashtray, maybe has a billion keys, and when the keys light up it either means there's a soviet missile launch or there's so much smog all our stuff broke

You're probably looking for a Hyper 7. https://mechboards.co.uk/products/hyper-7-v4

$500 USD for a 173% abomination of an aircraft carrier (the class of keyboards even larger than so-called "battleships" that have more than 108 keys.)

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

how the gently caress do you design a keyboard double the size and with like 200 keys and *still* manage to put a bunch of keys in non-standard places and with shrunk sizes?

I have no idea. The sick, sad thing of it is, though, part of me wants to use this as the base for a chimera of a monstrosity of my ultimate dream layout. A battleship, but based around a 75% Alice layout for the main alphas, with thumb clusters like an Ergodox instead of just spacebars, and the two side banks (one as a numpad), and the top rows. I guess the whole thing should be modular then. Left bank, right bank, top rows, left alpha, right alpha. 5 modules, 2 PCBs for each of the left and right banks, so 7 PCBs. I'd probably only need, what, $3000 for prototyping? Who wants in on the group buy? /s

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

disaster pastor posted:

man, some of those are really nice. I might have jumped on the keychron already (buying from Amazon or somewhere else) if it were backlit

Both the Q3 pro and the normal Q3 have RGB backlighting, with south facing LEDs. It's just that they don't include shine though caps for them.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

I have the Keychron Q0 numpad and it’s nice

I have mine to the left of my Q10. Yes, it is quite nice, and fully VIA programmable with the possibility of multiple layers.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

blues are fine but they aren’t substitutes for model m clack

Not even Kailh Box Navies beat the Model M.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

post hole digger posted:

i am going to buy a keychron q3 and some box jade switches and build a new keyboard i think. make something that i will get yelled at for using too late at night.

If you're buying from Keychron direct, I'd recommending spending the $20 for switches and keycaps, just to have them as backups if nothing else.

Of course everyone's customer service experiences would say buy from Amazon or another 3rd party with a better returns policy, so YMMV.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

KidDynamite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgKJIMyz9kI
i want these caps and switches for my moonlander. how do i make this happen?

i got asmr tingles for the first time.

The caps are easy to come by. They're what I use on my Q10. Just order a set from cerakey.com. Now they won't fit every key of a Moonlander, especially the thumb clusters, but you can replace all of your normal 1u alphanumerics. Plus the ceramics are fairly translucent, even black, so you will get some shinethrough.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Shaggar posted:

i just got a keychron 6 pro w/ the banana switches and they feel real nice. I replaced the caps cause they ones it comes with have an insane profile.

really like the look of those cerakeys tho

Dooooo iiiiiitttt.

Ceramic is the best possible cap material, other than maybe solid metal, but yikes. Ceramics are bad enough at $149 for a full set.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

echinopsis posted:

I love the look of this keychron and there is so much else to love about it

but drat I wish it had harder switches than browns. so easy to typo, wtf

So get stiffer, stronger switches. That's the beauty of mechanical keyboards. Make it yours, the way you want it.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jonny 290 posted:

disagree. ctrl+ins / shift+ins is clutch if you use putty on windows.

So just set a Fn + (key) combo for one or both of those as 2nd layer keys in VIA. Boom, no more need for Insert by itself.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

psiox posted:

I need a new keyboard. Cared too hard and got an Ergodox EZ that honestly hasn't been great for me, but at least a previous employer paid for it. Anyone that formerly was a model m kid have anything they swear by? (look, i literally grew up with a model m and am mad it's a hipster thing now)

Go look at Keychron.com and look at all of their various layout options. Find one you like and then if you're in the US, go buy it from Amazon.com because Keychron's support is terrible outside of China.

Sadly, most Keychron boards are not available with especially clicky switches, so you might want to factor in another $20-$80 for replacement switches, depending on how niche you want to go. Kailh makes a bunch of different options for clicky switches in their Box series. Box Navy are probably the stiffest and loudest, but there are a plethora of choices.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

psiox posted:

yeah, while i kinda like the tactile feel the clickiness itself is a little too much- i think my ergodox has cherry mx browns but it's honestly too mushy. i wish there were a keyboard store to go sample this stuff at :(

24 Switch switches Tester with Acrylic Base Blank keycaps for Mechanical Keyboard kailh Box Heavy pro Purple Orange Yellow Gold (Kailh 24 Switch Tester) https://a.co/d/fA2iXn4

$16 from Amazon for 24 different Kailh switches.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

echinopsis posted:

no u can’t take it back you said you want one

I'm a big enough dork that I actually own the Matrix version of the Cyberboard. It's a drat cool art piece that's usable as a 75% keyboard. I've just come to the realization that I can really only use split or Alice layouts anymore, so it just sits beside my desk with a continuous Matrix rain going on the keys and the LCD, err, matrix.

Even as an art piece it's overpriced by at least $200, if not $400, but still, it's not as bad as audiophile gear, watches, pens, or high-end tuning for a car.

Edit: Wait, dammit, I can even recognize the keyboard he's replacing with the Cyberboard in that clip. It's another hideously expensive board from Angry Miao using leaf springs for its mounting. https://www.angrymiao.com/en/am-afa/ Not even I'm crazy enough to buy multiple Angry Miao boards.

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jonny 290 posted:

oh that fuckin whips yesssss

360 bucks sounds absurd for a case, but their old case by itself was $200 and the DIY screen kit they sold was $160, so you're basically wasting your install time if you don't buy this version instead. Also apparently the new one is wider so your GPU can breathe better to the tune of 10 degrees C in gaming.