Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Best keyboard, and it natively supports dvorak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

George posted:

lets talk about pedal feel

Legit been thinking about building one...I mean it's just a switch. Also carrying one of those around is real dumb.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Fabricated posted:

We have a few people in engineering that use these due to severe carpal tunnel syndrome and they swear by them.

yeah that's why I bought it, I started noticing slowly increasing wrist pain, and decided to preempt it as much as I can. Works for me and it's mostly gone away.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

I used to read about keyboards and think about them but after I got a kinesis I stopped because its that good. I miss the topres on the HHKB I sold but not enough to switch away from the kinesis.

Do you use the wrist rests? I’m afraid that if I put them on and hate them, removing them will leave a ton of glue goo.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Careful Drums posted:

yeah i guess, i'm all Punch The Keys So Everyone Knows How Hard I'm Computer Using

"That's the sound of poo poo getting done."

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I bet Unicomp still uses that one

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Learn dvorak.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

to be fair, that is a fringe benefit of learning dvorak

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

our fearless leader

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Against my better judgement I loaned my model m to one of the helpdesk guys who wanted to try it out. I'm 90% sure it's older then he is. Just gotta reel it in nice and slow and soon I'll have the entire help desk staff clacking away on unicomps :getin:

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 26, 2017

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

blugu64 posted:

Against my better judgement I loaned my model m to one of the helpdesk guys who wanted to try it out. I'm 90% sure it's older then he is. Just gotta reel it in nice and slow and soon I'll have the entire help desk staff clacking away on unicomps :getin:

:lol: his coworkers made him return it before lunch

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

JPEGBabes posted:

I've got a high mileage keyboard and thinking about going for the Unicomp Model M clones. Worth it?

buy one of the 122 key variants, and a bigger desk

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

a very small horse posted:

the kinesis is goddam impossible to type on and the modifier keys are all kinds of hosed up

you’re a liar and charlatan

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

protip when you go Kinesis, switch to Dvorak or whatever other layout you prefer. Rip that whole bandaid off.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

It's far more socially acceptable to buy a kinesis because your hands hurt than to know every detail about the minute differences between 12 types of cherry switch.

that's what I tell everyone anyway. cool thing is after 3 months, my wrists actually did stop hurting.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

okay dad

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Get the advantage, you'll be so glad you have cups to type in.

seriously, look at the referb models, they're usually under $300.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

angry_keebler posted:

my only beef with it is i don't like the numpad as a toggle on the right hand. there's 3 hectares of empty space between the split, just put a regularly shaped numpad in the middle

that’s where my sticky notes go though

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Dvorak only kinesis advantage.

best part is because of the keywells/ergo design, it's easy to switch back to qwerty on a normal non-ergo board.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

advantage + dvorak. this is important.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

burn the heretics

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Sniep posted:

I hope u like the best keyboard available worldwide

no bowls

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Who was saying that the empty space on a kinesis is useless?

some fool

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

3D printing a candy bowl to sit on my keyboard seems like a bad way to live life.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

seconded

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

no bowls, no keyboard

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

if you can scrounge another $120, they’ve got refurbs on their site for $270. That’s what I went with, and I think all it had was a slight scratch on the case that I would have made in a week or two anyway.

if not, that split might work out for you, along with careful thought about how your desk/chair/etc is all setup. bowls+tented trackball made all the difference for me.

edit:discontinued new Advantage boards for $230 too.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 22, 2018

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Have you all bought advantage 2s yet? There's a new model out with twice the drive space for macros. (4mb!)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

can we talk track balls here too? I want to talk about my track balls.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

pram posted:

not even a keyboard so uhhh no???

It's got buttons and lives near the keyboard though

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

i just got a new track ball. we should have a thread. all balls matter.

I’ll start the wiki

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

still have an in assembled ergodox infinity kit that I can’t be bothered to put together. why bother the advantage is great. What kinda price should I ask for/where do I sell it?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

open and close your hand. did your fingers move in an arc? if so, a bowl layout might be for you!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

in that case i need a keyboard that goes

qwert
a[sd together] f
zcxv

you surely mean

‘,.py
aoeui
;qjkx

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

second gen has better macro functionality I believe. though there are older versions that weren’t called the advantage. if it’s in good shape, i’d buy it at $80 just to have a spare.

edit:looks like the original advantage has rubbery F-Keys, vs hard plastic mechanical, less storage, and might not support key remapping/dvorak as easily.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 1, 2018

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

my 2nd gen keys are good enough, so gen1 probably fine too then. buy it op

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

echinopsis posted:

our hands will never evolve to type on normal keyboards if we dont take them out of their comfort zone

you'll need to get a date first

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

get a Advantage2

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there are many flavors of repetitive stress injury and carpal tunnel syndrome is highly publicised just because it is the one with the best surgical treatments

you can also enjoy tendinitis, ulnar nerve damage, arthritis, and other fun conditions

I was waking up in the middle of the night because my wrist felt like it was on fire. After a month on the advantage2 that went away. Over a year later, it still tingles occasionally but it's 85-90% better. Not a doctor but bowls worked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Trackballs are good too, Elecom Huge here.