Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
schmug
May 20, 2007

So I will be flying into Bangor Maine in a couple weeks, and then traveling down to Bar Harbor to stay for 4 or 5 days. Any recommendations for some interesting locations with pretty scenery and some light hiking/ day drips? I will be taking some camera gear so I'd like to get to some cool places for some picture taking. Cadillac mountain looks pretty sweet. Is that doable for an old man(42) in very mediocre shape?

Any food place recommendations? Want to eat me some crustaceans while I am up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Well as far as ANP goes, you can take your pick of views. I mainly took the Island Explorer bus tour of the loop road, but the bus service only ran up through Columbus Day. I know that Thunder Hole has always been exciting, especially when it's a rough sea. If foliage is your thing, I think this part of Maine has already peaked, but you may get lucky. There are a number of little fishing villages on the island, and you may still be able to catch some lobster places that are still open either on the island, or in the Trenton/Ellsworth area, but a lot of them are seasonal and are closed up by the end of October. Edit: A little bit out of your way, but Ruth and Wimpy's is delicious food for not too bad a price. Just gotta get there before the 28th of October.

Map of Mount Desert Island:

I can't offer any advice on the climb, I've only ever driven up Cadillac. :shobon: Hope the post helps!

WHICH WAY MADNESS fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 15, 2017

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
I was at the park last year, mostly drove around except for doing the Precipice Trail, which could be a challenging climb. It has lots of narrow ledges and rebar grips sticking out of the side of the rock face you have to climb on. There were a couple lobster pounds not too far outside of the park, assuming they are open at this point, they are a lot cheaper than the restaurants in town.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Yeah, kinda sucks I'm going so late in the season(at least for the fall colors), but it just worked out that way. On the other hand, there should be way less people. I will be there the end of next week so hopefully not everything will be closed down.

We are renting a car in Bangor so transportation won't be an issue. I'm sure we will branch out from Bar Harbor to somewhere... Probably down the coast towards Portland and check out some of the 14,000,000 lighthouses along the way...

• Locked thread