Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Wark Say posted:

Keytars can be cool. On select occasions.

Could it be a Steinberger and not a keytar?

Edit: Like Eddie's 5150-era version:

Double Edit: No, it looks like a keytar, lol.

woodch fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

prefect posted:

Stupid stuff is :cool:

Gonna dox myself here, but I was actually Rick Nielsen's "computer guy" for a short while back around 2000-2001. He'd bring his various Mac machines into the shop I worked at to have stuff done, and eventually he asked me to help him set up some network stuff for his computers at home. Super nice guy, and when he found out I played guitar he seemed genuinely interested in hearing stuff I'd been working on (which was shameful home-recording stuff at the time).

That's my celeb guitarist in real life story.

For content, I discovered this dude a while ago. He's done a bunch of "reacts to" videos, and they're just priceless (don't let the username throw you):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa4EmeLhg2M

Watching him discover these guitarist for the first time is just adorable. Give his channel some love.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
One of my favorite Dokken songs done cover justice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GMhvu4LbhM
This guy has a few other pretty solid covers on his channel, too.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
On the subject of isolated tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80dsyo2Ox-0

I always forget how amazing John Entwistle was. I'd like to find the isolated bass for You Better You Bet if only for that opening riff.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
Relevant hearing-loss-related interview with Paul Gilbert (time stamp is where he starts getting into it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVO1pv5Vf5w&t=747s

I used to have golden ears even just 15 years ago. At that time, I'd been in a band and played my share of pretty loud shows, including the first live gig I'd ever really done, and the first one we'd done as a band. I had no idea how to make my amp sound "good" mic'd through a venue PA, so I set it pretty much like I did at rehearsal, only a bit louder, and it nearly took my head off. It was so sharp and bitey. And LOUD. And it was right next to me on stage, pointed right at my left ear.

I hit the opening chord of our first song, and very nearly shat myself. My hearing's been a little lopsided ever since. Not dramatically, but noticeably.

Overall, though, I didn't really learn my lesson about my hearing, just about how to get a better live sound without decapitating anyone or myself. When the band ended, I kept going out to shows where the band was WAY too loud for the environment it was playing in, and my hearing has been permanently changed from it. There's a constant ringing that comes and goes in volume. The crisp, high end I used to hear is either gone, or just a hissing noise. Mid range sounds are missing clarity now, too.

Overall, my hearing's still pretty decent, and I've learned how to compensate for what I can't hear as well, but it still sucks to know I could have better preserved it by simply wearing some earplugs.

Oh well. Rite of passage, I guess.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

More like baffling tone.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Gringostar posted:

pretty sure these have been posted before but here it is again because holy poo poo this is dumb

It occurs to me there may be corresponding tab books for this to help beginner guitarists get fingerings right.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Wugga posted:

I have a guitarist buddy who has a really sweet, unique style of playing but he doesn't develop at all because he doesn't practice ever so he's always stuck at his level (and probably getting worse as time goes on). It's kinda sad.

He actually said once that "practicing doesn't help him". I wanted to punch him.

Except for the 2nd part, that's me, totally.

What bothers me the most is that I don't feel like playing anymore :( . I listen to stuff I've recorded once in a while and wish I felt like playing again... I'm prepared to suck all over again until I get my chops back, but I just don't feel like it. It probably has a lot to do with my newish job where I'm on call every other week, and no matter what I'm doing, I have to drop everything and answer the phone when it rings, which really cuts into my enjoyment of anything engaging or fun. Maybe if I can get myself promoted above that stuff, I can get back into playing regularly again.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I’m always trying new things, staying mindful of my technique and current ability, learning new scales via noodling. I practice in the way I do everything else in life, chaotic and weird. It works for me though. Sure I’d love to be at the level of a Guthrie Govan but I have no interest dedicating myself like that.

Your buddy sounds... odd. I guess. If he’s happy though I can’t hate on him too much.

That's exactly how I eventually learned to play. I still can't read music. Oh, I can read guitar tab, but I can't look at it and play it... I have to hear it and noodle around to find it... tab is like a map to me, not an instruction manual. I'm terrible.

I had a lovely self-amplified Toys-R-Us guitar that took two 9V batteries that died within about an hour of playing, so my early months of playing must have driven my folks nuts. My dad showed me how to read those "box chords" on music, and basically said "That's everythign I know... go nuts".

I started by figuring out some songs I liked-- mostly The Cars and some poorly transcribed Van Halen-- and learning to contort my fingers to make the chord shapes I saw, and make it sound close. Repeat for months and months until certain things start to gel in my mind-- moving the chord shapes up and down makes chords in different keys! This changes EVERYTHING!-- and callouses go from painful to useful.

Learn how to read guitar tab, get a slightly better guitar/amp setup, learn about tuning up and down to match the record, playing along with songs trying to learn them. That last pretty much got me banned from playing while my parents were home lol. There's only so many times you can listen to someone trying to learn a song over and over again before you go mad, unless you're the one trying to play it.

And so on... I'm sure that taking lessons, learning proper technique from the beginning, and learning to shred scales would have helped a LOT, but the path I took was still fun and enlightening. I say whatever method you use to learn an instrument is a good one if you end up making sounds you like.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Reason is my DAW of choice and I have a guitar plugin for it that has a dedicated drop D switch :v:

What wizardry is this? There's a handful of drop D tuned songs I've always wanted to try and learn, but getting my floating bridge to cooperate is such a pain in the rear end... does that plugin really work?

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

GreatGreen posted:

Angling cabs back is a very pro move. 2x12s and even some 4x12s sound like muffled poo poo when they’re pointed at your shins due to how directional guitar speakers can be.
I discovered this quite by accident at a gig. Unfortunately, it didn't click in my mind until much later in life, but where you point the speakers makes a huge difference if you're using your amp as your guitar monitor.

We were playing an outdoor gig, and the stage was kinda wobbly and angled, and the casters on my cab didn't have locks or anything, so I just tipped the thing on its side. This was a 4-speaker angled cab sort of behind me, so the sound went around my left and right a bit rather than below and up, and the sound was AMAZING. Best sounding gig I ever played.

Lots of factors at play as usual, of course, but in retrospect, every time I put that cab on it's side it sounded great.

And it was just a stupid Peavy V120.

On another note, this made me nostalgic for my old band. Here's a clip from the only known video of us. In this episode, the singer forgets the words to his own song. Hilarity ensues. Definitely Stupid Music poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mujvrpIFbI4

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Wark Say posted:

That's campy as hell. I sorta like it.

Me too. Can you imagine it under stage lights? It'd be radioactive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

NonzeroCircle posted:

There's even that grim sounding 'Justice Kit' preset he could use! Shame there isn't a black album kit. Or a St Anger one :can:

They've been selling a St Anger kit forever:
https://www.foldingchairs4less.com/BD-F002.html?dwvar_BD-F002_configColor=Red&cgid=metal-folding-chairs
(Get it in red to show just how anger you are)