Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Well, at least we don't have to look at the headstock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Don't yellow roses mean "let's just be friends"?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
They didn't play here because the promoter for the Australia/NZ tour was grooming underage girls, and a bunch of bands (Sleep, Chelsea Wolfe, others...) rightfully cancelled their gigs.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Happy Vai-lentines day

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I paid far too much for a Japanese HM2 which sounds...exactly the same as my one from Taiwan.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
The DiMarzio :siren: TONE ZONE:siren: and air Norton pickups that Ibanez are using these days sound like poo poo. The old V7 and 8s they used to have were much nicer.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I’ve got one of these. The volume knob is in an annoying place, and it doesn’t have the Edge zero or pro bridge. Other than that it’s good.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Same but the 570...Which they don't appear to make left handed.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It’s just before 11am and Henry Juszkiewicz is pacing in his office trying to think of some new ideas to save his company. He looks down at his right hand. It is filled with his own acrid poo poo. “Ah-HA!” He exclaims before hurling the whole steaming mass at the farthest wall. “Neon Green J45!!! Henry, you’ve done it again old boy!” He says before collapsing to the ground and pissing himself.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2018/J-45-Neon-Green.aspx

If that were a <$400 Yamaha or Ibanez acoustic I'd buy that in a heartbeat but no way is that happening at Gibson pricing.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Gold hardware :barf:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I'd be totally ok if Tool never released any new music, especially they did it to troll their insufferable fans.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Death metal Left-handed guitars come in any color you want so long as it's black.

Playing left hand path, on a left-handed guitar though :getin:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
P-90s are single coils, JM Pickups are also single coil pickups but they're not P-90s... except for the Jazzmaster pickups which are Strat pickups in a JM casing.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I had DOD bass grunge until the switch on it stopped working... and I realised how lovely it sounded after we opened for some other band whose bass player also used one. It had a knob labelled "stupid".

One of our guitarists used a Boss DF-1 feedback/distortion, and the other had a BUTT FACE DOD Grunge but moved to a Metal Zone.

So we were pretty much the bad '90s pedal band :v:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
edit: Okay, probably not that many.

Malaria posted:

Like how many pedals do you people all own?

I don't know, I've lost count... like there's at least 4 delays, 5+ wahs, 3 choruses, multiple big muffs, some fuzzes and other things that I've built, a bunch of old big box EHX stuff, Japan and Taiwan Boss HM-2s and a tuner.

When I do have time to play it's usually just Angus Young style: Guitar - cable - amp.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

I'm pretty confident Boss are announcing a wazacraft metal zone this week which is extremely stupid music poo poo/hilariously Rad.

It'd be cooler if it was an HM-2 that had an actual working dist control that did...something.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
But the Metal Muff is literally EHX's copy of a Metalzone with some mods anyway.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I've never owned (or made) a tubescreamer or any YATS clones... what am I missing?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
My usual sound is either clean or fuzz bass (either a big muff or HM2) into a clean solid state amp.
or for guitar: direct or with a fuzz face/big muff/superfuzz into an already dirty tube amp with the EQ set to a mid hump.

The fuzz (I really like fuzz, don't look at me like that) probably makes a using a TS pointless anyway :cool:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I'd rather be Tad and run four maxed distortions at once.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Johnny DeMarco is my spirit animal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J3caoAvXE

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Fender offsets are pretty sweet looking guitars, but you can have too much of a good thing :stare:

Good thing I play left handed, because I'd totally buy that.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 24, 2018

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Here I was thinking the DOD Bass Grunge was the worst possible distortion to use on a bass, but what kind of lunatic uses a RAT?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Inaccuracies of the listing aside... the Fender 400 PS was pretty stupid music poo poo back in its day.

:siren: THE MOST POWERFUL TUBE AMPLIFIER OF ALL TIME :siren:

edit: vvv damnit.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 19, 2018

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

they're perfectly fine like every other mid-budget korean instrument, but they're the affliction shirt of guitars

If you're left-handed, Schecter have a way better range of decent quality lefty guitars compared to pretty much everyone.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

BonHair posted:

Good parenting is normally being supportive of left-handedness, but :bahgawd:

I started out playing right handed, and switching to playing lefty after a few months of struggle instantly felt more normal to me and was a heck of a lot easier in that it didn't feel like having to constantly fight the instrument.

Presumably this isn't a real complaint from a lefty having to play right-handed though, compared to the "plenty" of lefty complaints which from experience start and end at "we don't want poo poo either" and "some more colours would be nice", you rightist twat.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Is that playing LH, but strung upside down? Yeah that is weird, although Albert King, Dick Dale and Scott Reeder (bass player for The Obsessed/Kyuss/Other bands) play that way... Kurt Cobain, Jimi, Paul McCartney, Tony Iommi, and a bunch of others who all seem to play in doom bands play mirrored, Billy Corgan is a traitor to the cause plays right-handed.

Whatever works for the player is cool and good. :v:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Verizian posted:

Avoid the Edge III. It works fine at first but one misstep and the knife edge pivots just crumple like butter and you can't just drop in a new trem without spending hundreds.

Other edge trems are better as you can replace the knife edges. Setup is a balancing act between the springs in the back and the strings in the front and the challenge is getting all 6 strings balanced while in tune, as the springs are essentially offering even pressure on the back you're really balancing tension from the low strings to the high ones, so always restring and tune in the order 6-1-5-2-4-3. Once you get the lowest and highest strings balanced you'll have fewer problems.

Floating bridges are a pain in the arse to change strings on, and people will say that you have to change one string at a time. This is a lie:

Here is the process I've done for Edge and Edge Pro bridges on the RGs I've had (It works for me, if you break your guitar somehow, it's not my fault) :v:

1) If you put a small block of wood (or a pad of post-it notes works well) under the bridge so it can't fall into the body - You want something which is small enough to easily get out again, and thick enough so that the bridge sits flat, then you can remove all of the strings and not have to spend 3 hours setting everything up again.

2) Remove all of the strings, loosen off the clamps, and set the fine-tuners to halfway - the springs pull the bridge back against the block, you can clean all the TONE crud off easily, life is good.

3) I usually feed the strings in so that the ball-ends are at the headstock because I'm lazy and can't be bothered cutting them off, and the balls stop the strings from slipping when you tune up (if you have locking tuners or vintage style with the slots instead of the holes this probably doesn't work and you'll have to cut the ends off anyway).

4) cut the strings at the bridge end about 1-1.5" from the saddles (This just happens to be in line with the edge of the cavity that the bridge sits in), then feed them into the bridge and clamp down. You want enough length that you can tune up to pitch, but because they're held on by the balls at the other end, you don't need more than a turn on the tuning posts.

5) Tune up - stretch the strings etc, once everything is in tune (i.e. balanced properly) the block under the bridge becomes loose, and you can take it out.

6) Check the tuning, fix the clamps at the nut, adjust tuning if necessary at the fine tuners and you're done.

The preload on the bridge springs shouldn't need adjustment unless you change string gauge or are setting up for alternate tunings.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 1, 2018

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I like how they seem to be surprised at all this, like John Lydon hasn't been doing and saying things to wind people up/get a reaction for the last 40 years or so.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

As a bass player I want full communism now.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Why does rock'n roll need saving anyway, who seriously thinks that bands of white guys playing guitar based music isn't just completely played out going to stop happening?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Use a 7-string set, and throw away the high e?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

By the time he had like 3 different transistor stages with 3 more op-amp stages I was like "bro that is literally nothing like the original circuit." If his point was to demonstrate how small changes to a circuit's architecture can make substantial differences I think he could've stopped in the middle.

Compare a Tube Screamer to an OCD or a Timmy. Same architectures, different results (well... that's up to your ears but it's true imo).

I'd have taken "is a copy/clone of" to be more like how a Vox and a Crybaby wah are the same circuit (at least the old un-bufferred CBs), but with slightly different component values rather than adding extra stages and changing how the clipping is done.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I think they’re having a bit of fun with an led but if that was one of the 6L6s it would indicate that the tube is getting runaway current/overbiased and is extremely not happy.

In that position it’s one of the preamp valves, and assuming they’re not having a laugh I’d have guessed that it’s lost vacuum from how cloudy it looks.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
ZOOM! ENHANCE!

Looks like one of these?
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/jet-city-amplification-retrovalve

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
When you can buy 10 boards for a dollar (+shipping), why wouldn't you build your own? :v:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I’ve fixed several broken crybaby pedals over the years, nearly all of them had broken input jacks where someone had stepped on the plug and levered the jack off the board, reflowing the solder fixed them.

now I have more of these drat things than guitars, but they all sound different sooooooo

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 20, 2019

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Tad Doyle had something like an HM2 -> Fuzz Face -> Rat -> Big muff -> Digital chorus chain, and sounded awesome. :colbert:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
They don't use standard strings, you need ones with balls at both ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

sigher posted:

It's like a Steinberger, at the bridge the knobs pull one end of the string as you tighten it.

edit:

Actually, that Agile is using standard strings, the top part of the neck fastens the strings down with a tightening nut.

Slightly less stupid music poo poo.