Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm at a beer fest with a band and this fucker is running his jazzbox through a fuzz it sounds like (and it sounds awful because he keeps doing open chords this way)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

For all the dumb poo poo vai does he is remarkably, abnormally good at actually using anything he puts his name on.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

sweet just what i need to add to the stable with my worldcom flying v and my enron firebird

given the amount of stupid poo poo with enron branding they gave my dad when he worked there i'm kind of surprised they didn't give him an enron guitar

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also Steinbergers are weird but I don't want to call them stupid. They're just, y'know, weird.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

also a good reminder that the common criticism of srv as a 2nd rate hendrix is totally off-base

he's a 2nd rate albert king

That appropriate given that Albert is the one he grew up trying to be

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Gringostar posted:

should make one out of magnesium and give it to varg vikernes, and then light it on fire while he is holding it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

That happens very very rarely

More often there's just mad volume issues and everything is just a muddy wall because the venue PA sucks

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's probably weed but I first imagined a barbecue pit in the middle of a metal concert and was not displeased by the idea.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Les and Leo are both :wtc:ing in the great luthierie beyond

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

otoh you can get this for 3 hunnit

Ah, the mythical Starburst coloring

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm not even kidding but I seriously want some pink Starburst after seeing that guitar.

Yeah I didn't even mean that as a particularly bad thing

The colors just really remind me of starburst candies and it was also a mild pun

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

I love it.

How does the trem bit stay on, that doesn't look very stable

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Malaria posted:

Yeahhhh. Nile rules.

Karl is a huge nerd though.

Guy who founded a band whose whole thing is ancient egypt is a huge nerd??? :wth:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Your guess is as good as mine, I stole it from the bootleg stuff Facebook page because it made me laugh.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

Man I want to hear those neck pickups.

:same:

I'm really curious about it which is more than I can say for most of the monstrosities we post here.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

For a sibilant tone

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I wonder what's even going to happen to the hollowbody Gibsons now that they're selling that factory anyway.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

Holy poo poo, that was all in like the last 5 years too. What the hell were they thinking? Every analyst in the company must've been shrieking "NOOOOOOOOOO" at the top of their lungs.

Shortly before they got fired by jusciewhatever

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also all the money is in regular rear end cables that you can sell at a 95% margin because audiophiles are gullible idiots

I assume, I don't really know what the margins on the other stuff are like, probably healthy though

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You forgot about the part where despite the $3k paywall the quality control is infamously lovely these days and you might well get a guitar that can't stay in tune through a song because somebody cut the nut wrong.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 23, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Why scallop bass

why

whyyyyyy

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also I like how it's trying to blend in with the floor out of shame

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

If you go for the decent grade (~$600-800) and swap the pickups you can get some real good guitars. My friend has a couple Les Pauls (I think one was a deluxe maybe? It had coil taps stock (and still does even after I switched the pickups for the John Petrucci crunch lab and liquifire) and a black beauty type (I replaced the pickups with Burstbucker Pros for him on this one) that are both pretty good. I'm not 100% sure the black beauty one isn't secretly a brick but that can be normal for les pauls.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Malaria posted:

What the gently caress?

Close the thread. This is the stupidest music poo poo possible.

Eh I think the 100,000th (?) guitar they made was uglier

like it was an inlay guitar

everywhere

or maybe not uglier but certainly gaudier

....okay it was differently ugly and gaudy

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

triple clutcher posted:

here, have the Martin D-420 as penance:

oh my god this is real

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Just a big array of knobs all labeled as knob 1, knob 2, knob 3...

Pedal is named Box With Knobs

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Honestly I have enough assorted pots and knobs that I'm tempted to make that now, it just needs some jacks and a box

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

How did I forget about sparby, darby, and farby

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Go home Gibson, you're Dean.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

"Comments are disabled for this video."

drat, i wanted to figure out the tone secret

the secret is no pants

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm the two acoustics half hidden on either side

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The 80s active circuits in BC Richs designed by Neal Moser are some loving secret sauce like a motherfucker. Look at the guitars Neal Moser makes on his own now, they are definitely carrying on the tacky legacy of 80s BC Rich: https://www.nealmoserguitars.com

Also, this may be a bit extreme but this is (hilariously) making GBS threads on the accomplishments of Leo Fender in a way that I find crosses some sort of really nerdy line:

this guy is near me and he claims to be affiliated with Moser in some way

Though he does do a pretty standard les paul, tele, and flying V (and posts neat pictures to facebook about assorted guitars in different stages of production)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Wow I like their Les Paul headstock. How did nobody else think to raise the ends of the "open book" into devil horns before?!?!

Hahaha I hadn't noticed that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah that one I actually just legit like, it's a standard shaped flying v with nice wood.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Malaria posted:

My dream for when Gibson goes under is that Fender will buy them and just make cheap les pauls that are only sold at Walmart.

Gibson already makes those the sub brand is maestro or something

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

For all the silly music poo poo the other companies do Gibson is the one who does the most utterly stupid music poo poo. Like BC Rich makes a bunch of silly, gaudy, 80s as hell guitars but at least you don't need to make partner at the firm before you can buy one.

Also I assume if an artist who has a signature deal with them says "don't chamber my signature model" they will, you know, not chamber the drat guitar.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

hexwren posted:

Wait, what? I assume this is from an actual case.

Bill Kelliher from Mastodon.

"Bill Kelliher posted:

It was a lot of reasons.

“I never really felt like I was accepted at Gibson. The communication over there is terrible.

“They kept loving up my guitars that I was asking for. I didn’t ask for a lot – I just had a few certain things that I would like with my guitar – I told them I didn’t want it chambered and they made my second guitar chambered.

“All the guys I worked with over there – the A&R guys were getting fired left and right and the company just seemed to be falling apart to me. There were new guys who would come in and they didn’t know poo poo.

“It was a breath of fresh air working with ESP. They were interested and would ask me what gauge strings I played and what tunings I play – Gibson never cared about any of that stuff.

“Kids would get my guitar in the mail and ask me how to tune it because it wasn’t tuned and then I would tell them how to tune it and they would say it still doesn’t sound right and it’s because they’re not putting my gauge strings on there.

“They weren’t even tuning the guitars to my settings or specifications – just little things like that. Things that make the guitar a Bill Kelliher model, like put it in my tuning so that when it shows up, it’s different.

“ESP wanted to know all that stuff. They’re just friendly and nice and they’re interested in me and my band and what they can do for me rather than this company.

“Gibson just wasn’t… I don’t know, I think they’re on their way downhill honestly.

“Every guy I talk to – I mean, look at James Hetfield. He was at Gibson, played Gibson stuff and they didn’t want to work with him, so he went to ESP. And he’s one of the biggest loving guitar players in our kind of music.

“It seems like there are a lot of bad decisions being made over there.

“But ESP is really great. They treat me really well. I love my Sparrowhawk that I designed. It’s the best playing guitar that I own.”

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

No copper. Still polished. Make sure your chassis ground is the one true ground to eliminate distortions caused by the incoming power.

the One True Ground

Forged in the fires of Mount Blues by the dark lord Clapton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Apparently Gibson is suing Funko Pop over using Gibson guitar shapes on their little dolls of rock stars