Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Uuuuugggggggghhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dirt posted:

Is that a good or bad reaction?

Yeah let me clarify:

That guitar looks like it should come with a puka shell necklace, an aerosol can full of week-old body odor, and a restraining order from a girl who's just barely over the age of consent.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The first song ever played on that guitar will definitely rhyme the word "love" with "above". The second will try to rhyme "baby" with "save me", with limited success.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The third through twelfth songs played on that guitar will be aborted attempts at "More Than Words" interspersed with "wait wait wait...okay". It will end after twelve attempts because the work friend's barbecue is over. The next time it is seen in public will be during divorce proceedings.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's a little bit of an overreaction dude, that guitar would be played for a week and then sit in a case in the closet for years until the guy's mom sold it on craigslist for $100 because he moved to costa rica to be a surf bum and never calls home because there's not a place with electricity within 500 miles of where he lives now, dude.

Yeah but she had to sell it; she cosigned his student loans and those people are loving merciless and it's not like HE is going to pay that poo poo.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dirt posted:

Cool thing about that guitar is I saw it listed for like 3 grand on Reverb

That reminds me of something my mother used to say: "I'm not mad, I'm just very disappointed right now"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

Every so often a part of me thinks 'just get a PA/poweramp and use Amplitube through that' then I remember that's

A: probably more poo poo to carry
B: more variables to go wrong
C: I'm bad enough for fiddling with an amp and a couple of pedals, let alone all the stuff on there
D: WWVD (What Would Vai do?)

Amplitube is great for recording, but yeah it sounds like a massive pain in the butt for live stuff. If I were going to do that, I'd probably get a mac mini that I would set up just for that purpose or something.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there is an ipad version of Amplitube but IIRC it doesn't have anywhere near the full complement of gear.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
OH wait, that was the case at first but now it looks like they've added a lot.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cGoDns8wTA

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

I've never seen a crowd long for death that hard before

don't worry buddy, you'll get a gig one of these days

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

That sure looks comfy to play sitting down. I love the feeling of knobs digging into my thigh.

So you'll slow dance with me after all?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Literally the best drum solo I've ever seen.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
To be clear, that was more a statement about my feelings about drum solos than anything else.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Where’s the rest of it?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
that’s what she said lol owned

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
that is also what she said

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I think I've had this nightmare.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OutOfPrint posted:

Man I want to hear those neck pickups.

I'm more interested to hear the rationale for those neck pickups.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

We don't have an "awesome music poo poo" thread so here's this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoneBwNcENI

I really want to throw a pair of Barbie panties at him.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

For a brief second that gave me exactly the same feeling of sadness I have when I see a three legged street cat who's extra friendly with people.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Malaria posted:

For 450 bucks you can get this "hand carved" custom abortion

Ah yes, the famous “Crawling V” body style.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Peavey's logo looks like it was drawn by a teenage metalhead stoner because that's who their products are for.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

I've always hated the argument that music isn't good unless it's recorded by one band in one room in one take. Raw technical musical ability at both a personal and group level is fine and good, but at the end of the day, literally the only thing that matters with recorded music is what comes out of the speakers. Doesn't matter if it's done by the whole band at the same time in one take or in a million different takes in different places then all emailed to the producer and mixed together later. Who gives a poo poo. It's music. It is 100% aesthetic. If it sounds good, it is good.

Back in my more punk rock days I sorta had that mindset, but when I started listening to some more adventurous stuff it wore off fairly quickly. There's just a lot of amazing and interesting music that is all but impossible to do live unless you're at least incorporating recordings from the studio into the live show.

It's always entertaining to see someone who has a ridiculous amount of technical skill pull of something amazing live, but honestly I'd prefer to listen to somebody do something innovative and/or passionate regardless of whether it requires any technical skill at all.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

Jared Dines got his 18 stringer finally.

I would love to walk into a bar and see someone unpacking an instrument like that because I would immediately know I wanted to go to a different bar.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don’t watch Dines or particularly like him but I don’t get why everyone is so butthurt about his goofy dumb guitar. It’s a joke!

I have no idea who he is and didn't realize that the guitar was supposed to be a joke.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

I hate Disturbed but I have respect for their frontman who's like super smart and was working on a career in the medical field before doing music just because he wanted to. poo poo's dope.

One of the dudes from Bad Religion has a Ph.D. in biology and there was actually a Bad Religion fellowship you could get in the sciences for a while. Dunno if it's still around though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Dexter from The Offspring has a PhD too hahahaha

You gotta keep 'em dissertated.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

The one thing I'm glad is that, for however many whine that "the guitar is dead :qq:" and poo poo like that, for as little as... I dunno, 400 dollars? Or something like that, you can get a Korean-made Agile / Indonesian-made LTD which will, 9 times out of 10, hold up for you. I mean, sure, you're probably gonna want to spend at least 200 bucks in putting locking tuners / different pickups at some point, but still! And if you save up like 800 bucks, you can get an LTD's with locking tuners AND SD / EMG pickups or hell, even with an Evertune if it's a limited-edition kinda dealie!

The other guitar player in my (sorta) post-rock band has like at least half-a-dozen expensive guitars and whatnot (we're talking an Aristides 7-string, a Maryland-made PRS Custom 24 and a Mayones 8 string, to name the 3 I can recall off the bat), but for live / recording situations? She uses an LTD Eclipse that came with an Evertune bridge and a Gretsch from the Fall Out Boy dude that I helped her with installing locking-tuners. I myself mainly use a 28.5 Inch Scale Agile Baritone, which I've taken to tune similarly to what Steph from the Deftones would use in a 6 string (F♯-C♯-F♯-B-D♯-G♯). I got it for 350 dollars.

That is loving nuts. In the best way. :dance:

I will spend serious money on an acoustic or classical guitar, but I never have and never will throw down serious coin on an electric. Past the $500-ish mark on the used market, I have never found a high-end electric that I thought was worth the extra money.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dex_sda posted:

:same:

By 500$ a guitar feels good, plays good, and sounds good out of the output. Then it's all in the amp. An acoustic/classical is the entire instrument, by contrast.

Yeah exactly.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gringostar posted:

i have so many questions

Well they definitely look like they have a lot of improvements to make.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i always took it as a sign that person never played along with songs

Yeah it's a separate skill that has to be learned. I worked with a few drummers when I was younger who were great at keeping time on their own but found a metronome so distracting that they just kinda lost their groove entirely. They learned eventually, but it was frustrating for a while. I think it's harder on drummers than on most other musicians, because a lot of guitarists and bassists learn their poo poo as "I play along with the drums" or "I play along with the drums and bass", while drummers who don't practice with a metronome or backing track learn "everyone else plays along with me".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Groundbreaking design from PRS:

Hmmm yes, the classic Scatocaster.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dang, that is definitely a family sized buckethead.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I also just threw up in your mouth a little.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I haven't even heard the album yet, but boy, this certainly sounds like some stupid music poo poo alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c24Wp4N34oA

Don't dream it, be it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGWuyMKT8wU

Stupid music poo poo in the best way

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chalupa Joe posted:

Gold hardware :barf:

So loving agreed.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

This video is wonderful and I don’t get how she didn’t win that contest :colbert:

Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tfw you get so good at your instrument that you are indistinguishable from someone who is extremely bad at it