Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here's the video it's from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrlVFsPocus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

So presumably it's some flavour of Linux?

loving Linux nerds. I'm a Linux nerd too

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

On the volume note I often get poo poo from some friends because I flat out refuse to not wear earplugs. Even the cheap musician ones are worth it to me. I'm sorry, but the first loud (aka rock) band I ever saw had my ears ringing for the entire next day. If "not feeling it maaaan" is what ear plugs do then gently caress it. I'd rather feel less and protect my hearing. I am hard of hearing in my left ear as it is, from childhood, I don't want to sacrifice any more if I can help it.

Wear plugs people. Especially people who play music. Gonna be pretty hard to hear yourself or your bandmates if you're loving deaf.

The drummer in one of my old bands was the one who convinced me to wear plugs all the time. He had mostly played in punk bands up to that point, no earplugs obviously. He was 35, had the hearing of a 70 year old, and was lucky to not be more deaf. gently caress that. My hearing is too important.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

My Bloody Valentine does that too. I've still got the earplugs and the cool tin they came in.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

So does Brian May from Queen, although that's pretty common knowledge

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

I have a friend who loves to Hetfield this song at karaoke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsRlgxJ7qO4

There's also Beatallica's entire catalog for gratutious Hetfielding

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

You could educate yourself about the instrument and music in general or you can buy an instrument that is ridiculous because you will never be able to master it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYnEmNzJNeM

I knew what video that was going to be. What a loving tosser

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallica

tl;dr: Lars' friend was starting a metal fanzine, and one of the proposed names of said fanzine was Metallica.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

I do too, but the only pedal I use with any regularity is a tuner

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Came across these guys on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrUQ9wDh2fE

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

So does that dude also think that drummers aren't musicians?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

I actually liked Steve Terreberry's video from a year or so ago called "What if Dragonforce played for ...?". Everything else of his is poo poo though.

Scott's Bass Lessons has some good stuff, but holy poo poo he needs to learn how to be concise. It's tough watching his videos because of how much he rambles.

I also like playing Jazz basses more than P basses, but it's not as though I wouldn't use one.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

I guess so. There wasn't any shilling, but then again I haven't seen any of his other videos in a very long time

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

I know it’s probably a joke but the nazis used the extremely old symbol of the swastika which is actually a beautiful symbol with great meanings and afaik mongolia used it quite a bit

Not just Mongolia, all over Asia it's a common Buddhist symbol, even being used as the symbol for a temple on Google Maps. There was actually a bit of controversy a while back when a bug in Google maps replaced the hotel symbol with the temple symbol.

The only reason Western Buddhists don't use it is because the negative connotations of the swastika with the Nazis are so bad. Of course, the Nazi swastika is slightly different to the Buddhist one, but lots of people aren't aware of that.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

I have nothing like those stories, but to be fair I haven't played in bands that much since high school, and for the ones I've played in since then we've actually had our poo poo together. When I was in high school though, holy poo poo finding a reliable guitarist was a nightmare. I've had more than one show where the guitarist flaked out at the last minute so we had to find someone else.

The worst was definitely a school battle of the bands type thing, where 1. we had to find a new guitarist at the last minute, 2. because of that, and because we were playing in drop D, he and myself (bassist) weren't tuned to each other and 3. the drum set wasn't well set up so the drummer had to stop for a couple of measures in the middle of the song because the kick drum had slid forward and he had to pull it back. Needless to say we did pretty poorly. Oh well, nothing in the 15 years since has ever come close to that trainwreck.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvE5gzwWEHM

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

So the triple neck JEM, it’s a 12-string, a 6-string, and... a hardtail 6-string?

E: oh poo poo is that fretless?

Yep, looks like a fretless to me. Didn't Steve Vai play one of those?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

The first Berklee grads that came to my mind were the Dream Theater guys (yes, I know they didn't graduate) and I was going to say that I thought their first couple of albums were decent, but you could very easily argue that the reason for that was Kevin Moore, considering how poo poo so much of DT stuff was after he left.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

*I recently built a Crowther Audio Prunes and Custard and that poo poo is loving wild and quite original

That pedal is amazing. I only own three pedals (that, a Sansamp VT Bass and a Boss tuner) and the Prunes and Custard has served me very well over the years.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

I picked up a sixer of the megadeth beer a few months ago and it was pretty good.

I did not know that Metallica and Megadeth had beers. I've had the Iron Maiden one and that was alright

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

I'm not even sure what colour my sign is supposed to be. It just links to the homepage and I can't be bothered trying to find it from there. Canary diamond, so yellow maybe?

I also had a giggle at the fact this woman doesn't seem to realise that the Southern Hemisphere exists and that Capricorns are born in the summer here.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Death Panel Czar posted:

The only time I ever saw a video by this guy, he was taking 20 minutes to say "did you know you can play basses through guitar amps?". Who's the target market for dead air and "tips" that are old news to everybody and their mother?

While definitely possible (an electric signal is an electric signal after all) I thought that was generally a bad idea since the lower frequencies of a bass are liable to damage guitar amps/cabs.

The other way round (guitar through a bass amp) is fine though, and a lot of guitar players did that back in the 60s.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. Maybe the person who told me that got confused between power and frequency, since, to get the same volume, you generally need a more powerful bass amp than guitar amp.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

That's actually a weirdly prolific myth. I've heard it from multiple different people too.

It's incorrect, but that doesn't stop it from being repeated fairly often.

Care to explain more? It does piss me off when people say something is wrong but don't bother to say what's actually correct.

E: I'm happy to be corrected, but just saying "you're wrong" doesn't help anyone. Be constructive

1000 Brown M and Ms fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 17, 2019

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

I had to read your post a couple of times and I think we're misunderstanding each other a bit. Sorry for being snarky.

I interpreted this:

GreatGreen posted:

That's actually a weirdly prolific myth. I've heard it from multiple different people too.

It's incorrect, but that doesn't stop it from being repeated fairly often.
as replying to my statement about needing a more powerful bass amp than guitar amp to get the same volume.

But I think you meant it as a reply to my earlier statement about frequencies, right?
IIRC, the details I heard about that wasn't that bass frequencies were more 'powerful', but they have longer wavelengths (true) and therefore push more air (also true) which means that the speaker cones move more and hence can be damaged if they move too much, which I'm guessing is not actually true, at least in this case. I dunno, I guess it sounded reasonable to me at the time and I never really thought about it much. To be honest that wouldn't be the first time and it probably won't be the last.

You are totally right, there's a lot of bullshit around audio and I think part of it is that there's a lot of subjectivity around what you're actually hearing, not helped by people having tinnitus or whatever. It also doesn't help that there's a lot of actual science involved and it's really difficult to tell what's legit and what's not unless you're trained in and familiar with science. Even then that's no guarantee.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Rifter17 posted:

Frequency is only the rate in which a speaker cone will travel. There's no extra air pushed or the cones moving more. If a speaker is being driven to go +/- x depth, it shouldn't matter at what frequency. And it would be strange to think that a slower rate would cause damage.

What really happens is that at equal intensity, the human hearing system can't hear bass frequencies as well as other frequency ranges. So to have equivalent perceptual volume, you have to increase the intensity and you are then moving the speaker at a greater depth.

Siivola posted:

The closest I've come to an explanation is that if you push an amp into clipping there's more power being sent to the speaker than the wattage rating of the amp indicates, because of how amp power is measured. This is, I'm told, easy to do by accident with the bass since those frequencies need to be much louder to get heard.

Crank responsibly, kids.

I think we're all on the same page now and that must have been what the person who told me that was confused about all those years ago - it's not the bass frequencies themselves but how much louder they have to be to be able to hear them at the same volume as treble frequencies.

So am I still right in saying that you'd generally need a bigger bass amp than guitar amp to hear them at the same volume?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

no broccoli please posted:

Samuraiguitarist

Has he gotten better? I remember watching a few of his videos a while ago and I found them quite jerky to watch because it seemed pretty much every sentence was filmed individually and then edited together.

Kmac2021

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

former glory posted:

A Jacob Collier video popped up tonight and I thought maybe this 5th or 6th video I watch of this guy can finally show me how to appreciate the otherwordly super musical genius at play.

Good, I'm not the only one. He's obviously an incredibly skilled musician, but I just can't get into any of his stuff. It doesn't help that I really don't like his singing voice. Something about it just doesn't work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

hexwren posted:

The stupid music poo poo today is Paul Gilbert selling a guitar to try and raise money for Juan Alderete because this loving country will just let anybody die if the money's not up-front

https://reverb.com/news/paul-gilbert-to-sell-ibanez-ice-stroyer-to-support-juan-alderete

It appears to have sold for 16 grand, which is nice but what the gently caress.

I didn't know he was Marilyn Manson's bassist, so I first read that as Marilyn Manson had suffered traumatic brain injuries as well.