Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
What if it were 3 necks? And pretty much unplayable by normal people? And what if it was a guitar, banjo, and mandolin?

I think I posted this in the old thread. Built by a gospel/bluegrass guy from West Virginia supposedly in the mid to late 50s. Two necks pieced together to make the guitar part, so past the 20th fret it's just for looks. A dog-ear P90 buried under body filler, with two different DeArmond Guitar Mikes on the banjo and mandolin. Gibson branded banjo tuners on what might have been a Gibson banjo neck(there's traces of the original inlays that look very similar). My dad tasked me with trying to make it playable, but I don't think it's worth it for something he doesn't know how to play.

I do plan to pull the strings off so I can see what the date codes are on the pots, and maybe see if I can the electronics sorted. I'd love to yank the P90, but it is original to this monstrosity and I doubt I could get it out without trashing the area around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTdCMJl_JTo

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Would on both, but only for 10% of what they're asking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tza2oA71Ppo

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

old.flv posted:

I want a Les Paul that just has a series of knobs embroidering the perimeter of the body now

Reminds me of the Harmony H59 Rocket III

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I think this is firmly Stupid Music poo poo

https://reverb.com/news/john-mayer-reveals-new-image-of-strat-like-prs-model

Because the industry really needed another high dollar Strat copy

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Most will say Gibson(even on the Epiphone clones), some sellers offer custom logos or headstock shapes. Depending on your country, it might get confiscated if it says Gibson. US customs doesn't seem to really care as long as you're not bringing them in by the boatload.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
My 70's Japanese copy is the same combo, and to be honest I like it, but it would probably look better with white pickup rings, poker chip, and pickguard

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
500+ acoustic guitars going to be destroyed in the UK because they have East Indian Rosewood.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/more-than-500-cordoba-guitars-condemned-after-arriving-at-port-of-felixstowe-1-5490136

From what little info is out there, it sounds like the importer/distributor had the right permit, but I'm guessing Cordoba didn't have the right paperwork on their side.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Might be just me, but this is some double stupid

Only registered members can see post attachments!

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Snake inlay for life.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
They actually sorta reissued it as the Squier Master Series Esprit back around 2005. I picked one up around 2007 when they were discontinued and blown out for ~$200. Made in Korea, Duncan Design pickups, set neck, body and neck binding, etc. They are wider than a Les Paul, and even though it's chambered mine is still fairly hefty.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Now they just need to add a banjo neck

One of these days I really need to take this all apart and see if I can make it playable. Tuner buttons are all crumbling, necks are all warped, action way too high, pots are junk, etc. And the guitar neck fretboard is mostly decorative past the 18th fret.

Of course, it was built literally in a shack in the hills of West Virginia by a guy with a 6th grade education 60 some years ago.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Found on AliExpress, stupidly awesome

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I've got some oddballs(Harmony SG), but this is the only one I really call weird. Posted before in this thread.

The Guit-Banj-O-Lin, built by a bluegrass/gospel performer named Rex Parker back in the late 50s. Questionable fret placement on the guitar neck past the 12th fret, and it's uncomfortable and unpleasant but playable. The banjo and mandolin necks are pretty much unplayable, mostly due to the sky-high action on both.

DeArmond pickups on the banjo and mandolin parts, and a non-adjustable pole piece P90 from a pre-1950 Gibson ES125.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
John Jorgenson Hellecaster Strat from the late 90s if I remember correctly.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

And the sequel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YcLwxkQKMU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Norlin-Era SG owner checking in.

1975 Standard. Extra holes, broken heel, wrong bridge, T-Top bridge pickup, "vintage" Super Distortion in the neck. It has a good 45 years of wear on it, and it shows. But it plays great, sounds great, and was $350.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Kinda stupid but kinda cool poo poo.

These are two Mako branded Strat copies, with a factory EVH knock-off paint job from the early 80s. Made by Samick in Korea. Not mine, unfortunately.

Look closely at the patterns, they do not match up exactly because these were hand taped and sprayed. Chances are you can even see overspray and spots where the paint bled under the masking tape. I know I can see it on my Hondo copy of a Fender Lead I. Also a factory paint job, but this one as made by Tokai in Japan.

Korean labor in the 80s was so cheap you could afford to have that kind of manual work done for what was essentially a low-end guitar.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Stupid Reverb poo poo

List something as "Les Paul Copy", and it will change the wording to "Single Cut Copy" at random in the next day or so. Understandable, but gently caress Gibson.

Really stupid, list something as an "LP Copy" and it will still change the listing to "Single Cut Copy", but it might take a few days or more. gently caress Gibson.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
After listening I had to look and a quick search later :stare:

https://reverb.com/item/31787441-boss-tone-jordan-10-amp-1970-s-80-black

Looks to be the same as the Mako Piranha practice amp I have, which was also an IMC product. The Tube Blaster switch is more less a Tube Screamer built-in. MIne does not get that fuzzy, though, and now I want to know what I need to break to get there.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
They all look like rip-offs of the Ovation Breadwinner

Only registered members can see post attachments!

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Not to stand up for Gibson, but Epiphone was making single humbucker Coronets up until at least 2010 as promotional guitars for different events

https://reverb.com/item/34317903-epiphone-coronet-master-craft-pro-tour-2008-ebony

https://reverb.com/item/34020004-2010-epiphone-coronet-hard-rock-cafe-breat-cancer-awareness-promotional-promo-guitar-autographed

There were also Japanese built Coronets more recently that were an artist signature model

https://reverb.com/item/28074954-epiphone-limited-edition-elitist-tamil-okuda-coronet-2018-silver-fox?show_sold=true

They don't say Coronet on them, but neither did the originals.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

That would be this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otf_s-6jWLM

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Chip McFuck posted:

That Les Paul reminds me of this custom Jazzmaster I once saw:

Yeah, that's about perfect.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

I'll admit, I kinda like it, but good luck playing that Tele neck without hitting the tuners on the LP side.

Yours for only $750 shipped on Reverb

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

No, that's all wrong

Stupid! Rare?

Looks like an old Hondo

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Still trying to figure out of this is a real name or a typo, or a typo that became the real name

Rhapsoby? That has to have been Rhapsody at some point and then someone screwed up the logo, but there are other models from a span of years with that name and logo. Also wondering what happened to the y, the other logos have a normal looking y at least.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Eastwood Teleolin at Guitar Center

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

Stupid guitar youtube poo poo
Some guy I used to watch his videos called the guitarlogist posted a picture wearing a guy fawkes mask saying "this is my mask"
Unsubscribed right then and there.

Yeah, he's always been chuddy and has gone over the edge the last few months. Sad because he used to post decent stuff on amp mods and plain weird guitar stuff like turning an old 8 track into a fuzz pedal.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

Too many knobs

Too many? Seems like it's missing phase toggles to me. And I don't see any way to do serial/parallel, either.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I like it, but I also own this Explorer copy

That does this

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

And that weird clone thing is rad. Have you posted it on SA before? It looks familiar.

Yeah, it's been posted a few times. Early 80's Hondo, made in Korea. On their Explorer copies they also did checkerboard, spider-web, and EVH-inspired stripes as well as one that was half web/half EVH-stripes. There's a Blue/Orange spiderweb on Reverb right now. Note, no matter what that seller says, it was made in Korea.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
You know the tie never comes off, not for anything.

And Toyah is 5 years younger than Kim Gordon.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

And that's where Epiphone got the design of the first gen Coronet, no joke.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Don't know if it's stupid or just frightening, but this is apparently a legit spalted maple top FireFly 338 someone received.

They posted other pics and it is real, so far as it being on the top that way. Some kind of Furby-Predator-Pokemon-owl-demon.

I've seen some nice patterns, but that seems too insane to be real and for it to have left the factory that way.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Isn’t it a photo laminate?

From what I've read from the people "in the know" in the Firefly group it is a real veneer, and for the last batch they were way more picky with their supplier, so there are more "weird" ones. Like this one, also from the latest batch.

Cthulu?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I played a friend's Hamer that's basically a PRS type thing and it feels so wonderful that I'm becoming concerned.

I had a Korean Hamer double cut and a PRS SE at the same time, and the Hamer was better in every way except resale value.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I'm the stupid poo poo today. Made a stop at the pawn shop on the way home and bought this.

Lotus Strat copy, basic black, made by Samick in the early 80s, really nothing special, but it was only $58 with tax.

Why would I buy that?

Came with a very nice hippie strap, probably an Ace, legit "vintage" with all metal hardware and easily worth more than the guitar(to me, anyway). Not quite worth what I paid, but I can dump the guitar on Reverb for more than I paid so the strap is basically free. Then I can throw it in the box with my other vintage straps and never use it because a modern strap is much more comfortable and doesn't smell like cigarette smoke, old beer, and dirty hippies.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Not sure there's anyone that would want this anymore

https://reverb.com/item/39191904-fame-hondo-series-8200-bass-with-custom-trump-artwork

Sadly, it was probably a pretty decent bass before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
How can Fender make a 70's hardtail and not offer it in a sunburst or natural finish?