Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
What kind of amp casters do I gotta buy for maximum tone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

None, the bottom should be entirely made of surgical grade stainless steel polished to micron consistency for maximum contact with the ground, improving earth shaking and therefore overall tone.

It was a trick question. I just wanted to see who the real tonesmiths are in this thread. You are correct that no self respecting tonesmith would ever use casters, but you forgot to add in the part where the bottom of the amp must be put on a series of “tone springs” and then bolted down to the floor with special “tone bolts” to get a natural speaker response and maximum tonez. Praise Bonamassa.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

This pedal is a turd.
https://reverb.com/p/dr-no-effects-turd-fuzz?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_--h_abz2AIVjIxpCh15Dw-aEAQYASABEgKWVvD_BwE&hfid=6314636

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

You will know that you are booked in a top notch venue when said venue has a large framed picture of the band Korn behind the bar and the best beer they have is bud light.
:negative:

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm really sorry to bring this thread down so loving hard, but she was "that dog" in the first page of the first thread and I wanted everyone to know her better; especially now. I did everything I could for her about 15 years.

My lame joke is my niece named her "Missy," but of course if I had gotten her first I would have named her "Stephanie Rae Vy."

Sorry for your loss.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

A human heart posted:

what kind of music do you play

Metal. :ughh:

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

fartzone_42069 posted:

I know the tr00/kvlt vs radio metal debate is all dead dumb and pointless.

I like the real metal. poo poo like Immolation, Bathory, etc. loving HATE Shadows Fall, Killswitch, Ax 7XFold, etc. All that watered down over produced not too threatening garbage for satellite radio. I call those bands radio metal.

But they're straddling that line between metal and super softened radio rock, basically metal meets adult contemporary. That's just horrible. Not everything has to be bludgeoning you to death, but also you can't flash devil horns to a singer who does those inhale vocals and then there's 10 synth tracks to back up the lovely sing along chorus.

My point is Korn are legends at sucking and are not pretending to be something they're not. They're confidently nu metal. I'm only talking the first three albums. But they're classic, timeless bangers.

How was the show?

Good. I shredded for like 20 people then got a free 32oz Bud Light and 11 dollars. I love Korn’s first 2 albums.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

I had a Ltd baritone for awhile, but then I realized I preferred the same tunings on a 25.5 inch scale guitar. Sounded crisper and less muddy. I generally never need to go lower than drop A. The dude that bought my baritone from me had it set up with some lighter gauge strings to drop c# and I wish I would have thought of that cause it sounded really good.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

massive spider posted:

My submission for stupid music poo poo: bands which have formed like, a month ago making 10 second “teasers” on social media for their forthcoming material.

Yeah I love bands that do this as if anyone gives a poo poo.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Worst pedal I’ve owned is a digitech rp50 followed by a T. rex tonebug auto wah. Donated both to charity.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

MrSargent posted:

Hey fellow Digitech hater! My worst pedal was a Digitech RP80, similar to the 50, but with the added bonus of having a really lovely expression pedal. It was my first pedal and I had no idea what the gently caress I was doing, I just wanted a bunch of cool effects. I did not get a bunch of cool effects.

Pretty much the same. I was new to guitar and didn’t know any better. I tried to like it but then one day I just plugged straight into the amp and it sounded better without it at all. Thing not only sounded like fried diarrhea, it was quite a tone sucker too. To this day I avoid multieffects even though even the modern cheap ones are probably much better. I now am an adult that owns 25+ pedals and only use like 5-6 of them.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Had my first out of town hell gig last week. Place was impossible to find, no crowd, no free beer/food/pay, opened for a karaoke act. Good times.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Gorewar posted:

Was the city at least fun to be in?

Yeah once we powered through the gig and got the hell outta there it was cool. No more weird out of town shows for awhile though.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Wark Say posted:

So, I have a question for you, Goons: What would you consider is the ultimate "Butt Rock" Guitar tone?

I’m not sure but it definitely involves a stock Boss ds-1. Probably into a dual rectifier.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

I really like the solo in Messhugah’s New Millennium Cyanide Christ. Best use of sad midi jazz trumpet guitar tone I’ve heard. I’ve seen them once live a few years ago and would definitely go again.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

field balm posted:

The stupid music poo poo is coming from inside the thread!

I lolled 'sad midi trumpet' though, great description of a guitar tone

I was actually thinking of the solo in rational gaze. Whoops.
My favorite messhugah vid-
https://youtu.be/e44dS8fwSIQ

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Can’t decide if it’s stupid or awesome. Leaning towards stupid.
https://reverb.com/item/11843055-sleek-guitar-bass-combo-single-neck-2010-white-gloss

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of Metallica and stupid poo poo-
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1143540002

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

kjetting posted:

This is pretty accurate.

My favorite Metallica product will still forever be the “Some Kind Of Monster” movie. It really showed the dangers of having too much money, and makes you feel sorry for Kirk who seems tired of the enormous egos and drama and just wants to play in a band and noodle on his guitar.

I consider it to be my generation’s Spinal Tap.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

2x15’s are pretty rare to find in the wild where I live which is a shame cause they’re cool.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Wark Say posted:

This is going to sound like a brag, but it's not: I have 10 times that.

Wanna know what I use most of the time with my bands?
  • For the death metal band and the post rock band, I use a Line 6 POD HD500. Yes, the one that's almost 10 years old at this point, usually combined with a Mesa Boogie Recto-Verb 25 head, but sometimes I use whatever it's available as backline, because I literally have my 12 patches set up twice to go either direct with Amp Modelling to the front or 4-cable'd with no amp-modelling.
  • For the covers band and when I play the Weddings/Quinceañeras/Sweet Sixteen/etc circuit, I use 10 pedals and I can tell you the order without even being at my rehearsal space: (front end) T.C. Polytune Mini Noir, Ibanez Weeping Demon, Xotic BB+, Electro-Harmonix The Glove, Devi Ever Aenima, (FX loop) Fender Chorus Pedal, Line 6 Tap Tremolo, Line 6 DL4, MXR Micro Amp (what ties them together) T.C. Sentry. As an amp, if I'm not using a backline, I usually bring my Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 Plus.
Out of that whole list, the only thing that's sorta uncommon is the Aenima and that's because Devi decided to make them a one-time deal. That's it. Out of +400 pedals and almost 40 Amp-heads/Combos, I use a Multi-FX Pedalboard, 10 Pedals and two amps. And while I'm at home? A Yamaha THR10x.

I am Wark Say and I invite you to my glasshouse of stupid music poo poo. :mmmhmm:

Post that wall of amps. Or maybe walls in your case.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

So I cleaned out a room to put all my music stuff in one place. Got it all setup. Decided to play guitar. Shook a picture off my wall and into a glass table almost as soon as I started. Felt pretty stupid while cleaning up tons of glass. Music room is looking good though. Lots of poo poo piled high.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

So they’re trying to do another Woodstock in 2019. That’s my stupid music contribution for today.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

Plus he plays a boring old Washburn super-strat, and doesn't have a signature guitar.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ASABEgJJSPD_BwE

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Why does it cost a fortune yet look like a dollar store toy watch? Why doesn’t the pitch video include any sound demos or dive into the interface? Why is a synth watch any better or more convenient than one of the many synth apps available on most smartphones for way way less money? It’s all so very stupid. Nice find. 👍

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Fors Yard posted:

Watched this recently and explains that it was basically Lars' fault and the producer wanted to make a separate mix that he thought sounded better but it was too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmFgeFh2nlw

I like the part where Lars asks the producer years later “We did have bass on that record, didn’t we?”

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

https://sports.theonion.com/super-bowl-halftime-show-marred-by-functioning-sound-sy-1832309931

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

I like to think that the movie crossroads is real and the devil cursed Steve Vai with a ridiculous looking signature instrument for losing a guitar battle to Ralph Macchio.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That's just a lovely spraypaint job, isn't it?

Also why did they spraypaint over the pickups and the pickup switch? What the gently caress

If you look closely on that shelf you can see that cans of spray paint he used. Krylon and Rustoluem. Goober didn’t even bother to match brands. I’ll give the guitar a 1 out of 10 due to the packers sweater slung over the chair. Nice touch.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Tell me about some of your hellgigs. Mine isn’t too bad but entails driving 80 miles for a gig then we couldn’t find the place we were playing at cause our navigation software kept routing us to a dead end due to construction. It was ridiculous cause the drive was supposed to take 5 minutes from where we were but took about an hour to find and no one answered when we called the venue. Once we finally arrived barely on time there’s nobody there and then we found out we are opening for a karaoke act, no money, and no free alcohol. Got a flat tire on the way home. That’s it. Please share your hellgig stories.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

What music were people playing, I'm trying to get a sense of what the audience (or lack thereof) would be.

Metal.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

CheesyDog posted:

Played three hours to almost empty room in a "country club". Given that this was supposed to have been a more upscale gig than our normal dive bars, I had invited some family to come watch.

The "country club" turned out to be the kind of bar that has to go "members only" because they keep losing their liquor license. The free dinner was some corn chips with shredded cheese poured on top and microwaved. The dish itself smelled like nicotine. The beer smelled like nicotine. The building itself looked like the barroom from a 1970s Clint Eastwood movie that had never been cleaned or remodeled in the subsequent 40 years; this description also applied to the patrons.

We spent most of the time dealing with a belligerent drunken late-50s lady who alternated between complaining about our song selection and shouting "now you got some dancers!" and boomer-twerking when we did play something she liked.

After playing the last twenty minutes to an empty room we called it at midnight, only to be banned from the venue because they were open till 2:00 AM and we had quit playing "early".

Lol, the place I was at did offer us some terrible looking food. None of us tried anything. I like how your venue acted like banning you from a shithole they were probably lucky to have you in was a fitting punishment. I don’t think they realize they were probably doing your band a favor.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

CheesyDog posted:

50s Twerker lost her mind for "Get Lucky", of all things.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

gently caress Your Website posted:

New Years' Eve gig in a Midwestern basement with the typical insufficient punk rock PA, vocal mic stand sitting half in a puddle of standing water the entire time, any time I so much as brushed the mic I got shocked.
I’ve heard of this happening but have never seen it in the wild. Reminds me of this one show I went to where the band was using a 8ft ladder as a mic stand.

massive spider posted:

According to the bassist and drummer when they woke up in the night the venue owner had elected to sleep on the bar room floor with them.

LOL!!!. Screw that guy!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't know how the gently caress we even got booked there, but my bandmate did all the booking.

I was in my last band for over a year and a half and still to this day have no idea who did the booking or social media stuff. I think it might’ve been the guy I replaced.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Wark Say posted:

• I've been playing instruments since I was 6
  • I started playing with a rondalla when I was 8 and started busking at 10
  • I turn 35 in July.
I could probably make a thread on hellgigs and at the very least fill several pages of posts on my own easily. But I'm going to start with something from my most recent exploits. Sorry in advance if I get too wall-of-text-y for the mobile-only goons reading this. First, some background:

A little under two years ago, this friend I have that teaches at the local Yamaha Music School told me that a drummer she's friends with was looking for a guitar player for an "early In Flames / At the Gates" style sound. Two mid-March 2017 rehearsals later, we had a band. He already had a lead guitar player and through other mutual friends we secured a bass player for the 2nd rehearsal and we've been in the band ever since. That same weekend, a friend who had just finished rehabilitation after his car crash had begun to slowly re-learn to drum, but he needed money, so I agreed to help him back on his feet, so with him as the foundation, we started both a "bar/covers band" and a wedding band...

... then a month later, this girl who I've had met maybe twice contacted me and said "Do you like Explosions in the Sky and Isis the band?". If I were a cat, both bands would be like catnip, so it was the quickest yes I've given to somebody. So in less than 2 months I went from being a semi-retired recording engineer with no day job to being in 3 -technically 4- bands. Oh, and I had gotten a day job shortly after.

Back to 2019 and more specifically last weekend at a wedding reception, this dumb, angry motherfucker started baying orders at me that we should be playing now. I told him that, traditionally, it wasn't until everyone was at their tables that we started playing. Since I was washing my hands off after doing my business, I was kinda just trying to get him off my back when all of a sudden, he pulls a gun on me and starts yelling at me.

Some context: Monterrey has always had a mafia/cartel problem. Even before "the 1st wave of gang violence" that started back in 2008 and lasted until like 2011, the local/national mafia has always been running some big chunks of Monterrey's metropolitan area. Like, it's probably not as bad as, say, New Jersey or some other cities in the US, but it's there.

Luckily for me, the shithead's dad (who also happened to be the bride's dad and the one bankrolling this whole thang) swung by and proceeded to smack his son for being a dumbshit. He apologized and requested if we could start playing in a couple of minutes, since they wanted to start doing toasts and all that junk, so we had to do our thing. The reception went fine and everything, but as someone who hates any type of gun and gun-related violence, it still kinda put me on edge.

So yeah, I suppose that's not so much a hellgig as it is "dealing with the physical avatar of the scum of your local area".

I love long texty posts especially when I’m board at work. Having a gun pointed at you counts as a hell gig in my book. A hellgig thread would be cool. Thanks for sharing.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Ask and ye' shall receive. A HellGig thread!

Oh hell yeah!!! Nice job. 👍.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Yes you are.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Somebody sent me this. This is not good and NSFW.
https://youtu.be/b4q2hl44vT8

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

rickiep00h posted:

What did we ever do to you to deserve this.

You don’t always get what you deserve but you always deserve what you get here in the stupid music thread.

Anime Reference posted:

Hey, do you want to pay $1000 for the privilege of digging through a pile of Juno-106 shards to see if anything useful survived?

I own a working Juno 106 and now I’m thinking about charging people 10 bucks to touch it. 25 for a picture. Or sell it, I don’t know.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

My neck is still sore from headbanging too much during a gig last Saturday. I’m old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Is this stupid or awesome music poo poo? I can't tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwkF3-JmSeA

A bit of both. His studio is pretty awesome but I think his 16 string all high E’s guitar with a dick on the headstock qualifies as stupid music poo poo in most circles.