Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Dewgy posted:

to get this wonderful value, you’d have to buy a Japanese guitar for $1000, then pull the neck off, then because he put a US neck on it and Dave Allen pickups, it’s now worth a truck made out of smaller trucks

When was switching the necks on Fenders a thing? I only know of it because I wound up getting the the unwanted half of the swap from a shop (Stratocaster with US body/Japanese neck) because it was the better of the two left handed options there. In talking to the shop owner he apparently tried his best to convince not one but two different people that it was dumb and devalues both guitars to no avail. I guess the second person did a US/Mexico swap? It makes no sense to me, and I don't notice it really on mine, but I am a guitar nooblet that just started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I dunno that case looks to be of decent quality, unless it's gone moldy being in a dank basement?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I am also somewhat sure that guitar is in fact awesome music poo poo. Stupid music poo poo is me foolishly getting two of the same guitar pedal off of ebay because impatient me was so sure that I'd lose the auction on the one. Whoops.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I wish I was skilled enough to go on tour but alas no. It's not even a super good pedal (I don't think?) I just wanted to dork around with a cheap simple delay. At least between both orders I'll have the box, manual, random Roland power supply, and instrument cable too. Hooray for completeness?

I am sorely tempted to wire both of them in to see what happens, even though it probably just produces an endless loop of cacophonous noise.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Wark Say posted:

If it's anything like the amps, then you're in good hands. Jet City makes (made? I dunno at this point) good stuff.

So far so good I think, the first one arrived a couple days ago and seemed to be fine in my limited testing. The next one arrives tomorrow.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Skimming that exception list, did they just list every pedal manufacturer they carry?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Anime Reference posted:

My favorite detail is that the strings don't seem to be going through the body holes. Where are they going? Is it a hybrid top-loader/string-through bridge, or did he figure out some ingenious way of stringing through the saddle screw holes?

I had to look and re-look to see this but dammit you're right. I can't figure out where the hell the end of those strings are going unless the ball end is resting against the back of the saddle pieces? But then you'd be able to see them in the photo I think. And yes I thought it was a factory screw up too because of the plastic on the pickups.

edit for new page:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Rifter17 posted:

Any one else have a wacky collection?

Let's see here,

A dinged up left handed Strat.

A made in China "Lucinda" classical guitar that won't stay in tune. Perhaps the gauge strings I put on are too light?

An old made in Japan electric that's kinda a Jazzmaster clone? I wound up slapping the cheapest Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridge on it since the original was missing all the saddle pieces. It hasn't really helped as the action is way too high and lol at intonation.

So to answer the question, no. Thank you for coming to my talk on extremely poor guitar purchases.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
We're opening it up to wierd instruments in general? Because I have a cajon I was totally going to find time to practice. Was great for getting around college dorm room "no outside furniture" rules. Doubled as an extra seat in addition to table space and still holds my camera bag today.

I should dig out the book and DVD I got and give it another shot.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Thank you for this, Facebook ads.

Can be pre-ordered (I guess?) here apparently.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Honestly I was mostly shocked at a Wilford Brimley joke in 2019 no matter what the hell the pedal purports to do.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I like how they just cycle through the available colors and rewrite the vague descriptions for each, just like actual horoscopes. Do they need to sell Candy Apple Red a lot because comes up three times: bold enough for the Aries, but refined and classic enough to be a second tier option for Taurus, but also "speaks volumes" for the Cancer who doesn't want to "outwardly command attention." Feels like something that should have been dreamt up at the height of 1970s "hey baby what's your sign?" mania.

And of course not super accurate to me either. I don't mind a bright red guitar, but I'd maybe opt for orange, green, or blue first. Not that I have a choice really I'm left handed, and drat glad mine is some kind of burgundy at least.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
And my left handedness has saved me again from errant guitar purchases because goddamn is that soviet guitar just the right kind of ugly. Don't doubt that it probably sucks to actually use though.

Edit: You know what really makes it is the fake pinkish snakeskin pick guard. Let's make that the new happening trend in guitars!

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 16, 2019

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I though those were push pins at first. Didn't realize it was bedazzled. Though what really gets me is the upside down freebie AAA sticker between the pickups, I can't wrap my head around that one unless it's covering some damage?

I also feel guilty that I never come across these gems (ha!) worthy of being shared in the thread.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm pretty sure at this point even Brain May has copies of his guitar for stage use. Not as many as Springsteen but some are different tunings and if he breaks a string or something he's extra hosed due to the loose rollers they sit on (and hold in) at the bridge.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Welp I've tried my local craigslist and it's rather the boring assortment of low to mid range guitars with the occasional Guitar Hero controller sprinkled in. I did however learn that electric upright basses look weird. But never fear, eBay pulled through:

I don't mind the cigar box aesthetic here, but I question if an oil can is strong enough/thick enough metal to take the string tension for a long period of time. Hell it doesn't look good as it is now.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Stupid music idea: The department store in town is going out of business and selling off everything, including the fixtures. All the mannequins are currently marked for sale. I talked about this with a friend last night and we came up with the idea to maybe buy one and shove some motors in the the right arm so I can turn it into a stupid guitar stand that does this when I hang a guitar off it.

Pretend I actually posted the half mannequin (waist down, for showing off pants and leggings) that some one was selling as a keyboard stand with the keyboard on my local craigslist a few weeks ago.

You've been beaten to the punch with the idea.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Yeah I figured it had probably been done. But I still like the idea of giving it a robot arm with a motion sensor on it does the bill and ted future universe greeting when I go near it. :v:

Not saying it was a bad idea, it's more creative than that listing and oh hey look it's still up:

Re-reading the description they definitely are desperate to just sell the mannequin legs, because they didn't think it through and actually attach the keyboard to them. As usual there are no other real affronts to music humanity on my local craigslist unless you count these cigar box guitars, but I have no clue what makes one of these good or not (and neither does the seller). I guess I should be thankful the site is full of normal music poo poo in my area?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Count me as another person too chicken to buy anything Gibson because of the quality issues. I like the sound of an SG but eeeehhh at buying one especially sight unseen. Realistically I could just get the pickups and slam them into a kit or something but :effort:

And this week on it came from craigslist:

You really, really couldn't find a neutral background spot inside the house?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I kinda want to try that extra sharp guitar for some reason (probably due to my secret love of warlock shaped guitars). As classic as the surfboard guitar is I don't want to touch it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BonHair posted:

Stupid music shoes reminds me of the stupidest music shoe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxVODwaVm_Y

God does J Mascis look so incredibly bored using them, though who can blame him since this apparently was a publicity stunt of some kind that went no where. Unless some one at Converse was hoping that this would go viral and make it a viable product?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I feel the same way about both Dreamtheater and Yngwie Malmsteen. I know they are both musical masters and have a lot of technical skill, but they are both above my head as well and I find them mostly boring to listen to for fun.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Is this image so old that it has already made the internet rounds? Apologies if it has.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Concatenation posted:

Post your gear regrets.

A too cheap classical guitar bought off of Amazon in 2002 or so. It was bought by my mom to shut up kid me wanting to play guitar before either one of us knew what to look for in an instrument. Killed my desire to and enjoyment of playing for way too many years. Finally just donated that loving albatross last year just so I didn't have to look at it ever again or try and figure out why it wasn't holding in tune. Old strings? Wrong gauge? Warping? Don't know, don't care.

The other regret is buying Ibanez' bottom end steel acoustic that inexplicably is also electrified. How they can do that at roughly $200 new I don't know. Besides being super wide in the lower bout which meant that only an overkill hardshell case would barely fit it, it is extremely stiff to play. I thought it was just my weak rear end fingers but when I tried a different brand and price point shortly afterwards I discovered that no it was not. So I bought that one instead and never touch the Ibanez anymore.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Eh let's have some lighter stupid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfXDgxsaXAY

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Wark Say posted:

That's our cross to bear for the weirder off-centre riffs, buddy. :(:hf::(

How many left handed goon guitarists are there? It seems like it's a higher proportion than the average population. Thus far there's you, iospace, and me, but I feel like I am missing at least two other frequent posters...

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Excellent! Glad to see us left handed freaks coming out in force here. That's 5 official goons so far?

There is absolutely nothing stupid here :colbert:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
first thing I though of was this though:

I find it more tasteful plus its an order of magnitude cheaper, only 17 grand on reverb. Dunno what the Dean versions of it cost.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Lol poo poo I was just looking for a clean picture of Jon Entwhistle's spider bass, the fact that it's the 8 string version of his signature model didn't really register. I don't think Entwhistle himself used more than 4 strings? Granted I only looked at the whotabs website for like five minutes...

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Rifter17 posted:

I think that's what I'll call my guitar: "flying I"

What's playing one of these like? There a left handed one that's been on eBay for months that's been bugging me. Here but I don't have a spare $750 anyways.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I don't why it hasn't occurred to me that for that price I could probably buy a neck and other parts with the finest tone wood 2 x 4 at Home Depot and do it my self if so inclined. Would probably end up similar to the the original log that started this whole thing but eh, might make a fun future project. Never thought how the knob placement can be an issue on it that kinda sucks though.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That circle guitar is halfway to just a straight up music machine like the famous Wintergatan Marble Machine. It's nifty but in the grey zone between a machine and an instrument. Also I feel like you could achieve the same effect in a synth or messing with samples of guitar strings being plucked. Like they reinvented the wheel here.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Funko pops are made of vinyl right? My stupid secret wish is to have 'em recycled and pressed into records. I'm sure there's a number of reasons it's not logistically possible, and that they'd all be a uniform beige brown color in the end, but one can hope.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I was concerned about paint, aren't some details painted on to them? I'd think you'd have to melt them down anyways because all the record pressing machines I've seen video of work with a biscuit shaped blank and nobody is going to retool one to accept the unmelted figure.

This is where I admit that I shouldn't be throwing stones like this, as I am guilty of having bought two of them. The bulbasaur figure isn't as cute anymore as when I first bought it, and I gave the tootsie pop owl mascot to my mother. That's probably at least half of their sales though: "I know you like *thing* so I got you a funko pop of *thing*. Happy Birthday!"

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm disappointed no one posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsN9_QB4jYI

We all watch his channel, admit it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
If guitologist is who I think it is on youtube I gave up after twoish videos. Something about his mannerisms and tone rubbed me the wrong way, I didn't even get to find out he was a chud first hand.

edit: Don't really want to give him more hits but I was just looking over his youtube video page trying to remember which one I watched and

I'm not clicking that.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 12, 2020

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
What. It looks like a photoshop error. Also good luck finding a head replacement when that is no longer manufactured.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Google list of amp manufacturers, ctrl-c, ctrl-v. Done. The fact it's in alphabetical order is the give away.

That people feel the need to do this on their super common item listing is still dumb.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Now I suddenly feel justified in never being able to get into Clapton's work. Though I wonder if his biography is like that because he don't remember poo poo through all the drugs. I don't have a source but supposedly he doesn't remember doing the eyesight to the blind scene in the movie version of Tommy because cocaine. Guess I got lucky with reading Roger Daltrey's autobiography, which was interesting, but is mostly his perspective of how events and poo poo went down and who did what in The Who and beyond, not so much about songs and the music itself. He does mention that he didn't really find his voice as a singer until Tommy, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I may be :thejoke: myself here but

The top one is an actual do nothing pedal you can buy.