Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

polynominal-c posted:

Ah. This tells me you're at least in your forties now...

early 30s and i've reticulated some splines in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Mister Speaker posted:

how have i never heard this

Creep got ruined for me because I used it to learn barre chord technique and played it daily for a month or two back in the day and this Prince version rules

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

"ah yes, jaguar and reverb, those are two fender guitar words for a dorky hat"

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

stratdax posted:

Every once in a while my brain reminds me this exists. I'm sure most of you have seen it but for those who haven't, here's the Geoff Tate EPK.

this was my first time seeing this, holy poo poo

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

japanese guitar store i follow on reverb just posted a...metalzone watch

if this was an hm2 i'd be tempted

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Snowy posted:

Link pllllleeeeeeaaaasse

https://reverb.com/item/65934957-roland-vintage-boss-mt-2-metal-zone-rare-promotional-wrist-watch-1999

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

field balm posted:

however, if you need a convenient way to transport your watch and mouse you're in luck!

knobs are in the wrong spot

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

adary posted:

Totally in the wrong spot. They have to be maxed out, not sit at 6 oclock.

I know the classic chainsaw sound is all knobs on ten (and all HM-2 merch should have the knobs there unless you're selling to MBV fans or something) but I actually prefer it with the gain at zero into a high-gain amp. The gain knob is kind of an on/off switch and the no gain sound is like an EQ into a more usable gain structure and sounds awesome - you still get the chainsaw nasal snarl but it's way more usable.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Gramps posted:

I kinda use the classic car standard of 25 years but calling a 97 lester "vintage" makes me feel super old... poo poo

I think trying to attach a number of years to it is arbitrary and it really ends up being people who grew up with a specific type of music, car, or whatever getting serious money to collect the things that spoke to them when they were young. 25 years is a pretty good baseline for this but I think of it more as like old hair metal dudes driving up the price on JEMs and old Ibanezes and stuff like that when they got tons of money so that stuff is now collectable and therefore it is "vintage."

It's not totally my expertise so I may be off here but I think this is starting to happen with offsets with the people who were into grunge, alternative, and shoegaze in the 90s.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

how old does a guitar have to be until it's officially vintage? i have a '97 gibson les paul studio. it rules and is also beat to poo poo in an authentic way because i gigged with it in punk bands for like 15 years.

I think if you have an LP Studio that is from the 90s and has 15 years of gigging scars it definitely qualifies. I also want pictures because it sounds cool as gently caress.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

TheMightyBoops posted:

I always think of vintage as a demarcation of guitars so old you wouldn’t want to play them anyway and they’re for lawyers and day traders to keep as diversified securities. Therefor 90s Jaguars aren’t vintage because ever since someone brought Jaguars up in another thread I wanna play one real bad.

yeah I kind of want an offset also but I looked at prices recently and went "what the gently caress?"

if a guitar needs a refret but you're afraid to do it for value reasons it's vintage

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

yeah that loving owns, if i saw a guitar with scars like that on reverb i'd assume it's a hell of a player because the previous owner played the poo poo out it

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the videos where he built a tele on a workbench to disprove tonewood and the one where he made an amp out of a toolbox full of pedals duplicating the eqs of other amps and got very close to their sounds were hilarious. i love the idea of challenging guitar orthodoxy like he has.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Mister Speaker posted:

No other music gear related April Fools' jokes this year? Just that 'battery simulator' pedal??? I'm disappointed.

Actually the 'holiday' has been pretty lackluster in general. I stayed up all night (working a graveyard shift, not by choice) and figured I'd get a jump on some pranks but there was barely anything.

sweetwater is giving out four course meals with orders

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

JesustheDarkLord posted:

All of my amps are old as poo poo - 60s-80s.

If I wanted to modernize what should I look at?

what are the old amps

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Gramps posted:

Neural Amp Modeler. The open source free one. Figure it out. I'm selling off all my poo poo now because of it and I cancelled a physical amp order as well. It broke my brain.

i messed with this a week or two ago and was blown away by how good it is. honestly think this cuts off stuff like neural dsp/stl/etc at the knees.

where are you getting models? found someone's github repo with a bunch but i think there's probably better out there...

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i cracked up at the relic job

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Shugojin posted:

I've barely had any calls from them :shrug: but that might be because i just ignore the call if i see fort wayne indiana on the ID and they gave up

listen i will give money for things when my sad brain makes me think i want a thing

honestly same, i get a ft wayne call once a year i ignore

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Thinking about picking up that SM7dB to really impress the coworkers on slack. Sorry people are cumulatively assholes, hope you had a good holiday!

my coworkers said i looked like a youtuber when i used mine

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

massive spider posted:

I drifted around the timeline of this trying to see if there was anything worth watching, stumbled on rob chapman, shuddered and turned off.

most of it was forgettable but matteo mancuso playing like flamenco jazz fusion shred or some poo poo was crazy. 3:17 if the video doesn't timeskip properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6YvB0NblPw&t=197s

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

so it's just doing the bc rich bich thing but for all the strings as a six string?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Mister Speaker posted:

There's a nostalgia aspect to it for sure; seeing pre-teens pine for the awkward era of emo that even we didn't like going through is very funny.

it's kind of fun seeing bands like static dress pop up that i would have absolutely loved at 14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvDGnZDPA0g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the matte black and gold strat with the flamed maple neck next to it is kinda sick though