Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Sure I mean why the hell not. One of the Bobs from Devo did some hosed up LP body modifications. And then there was Mark's guitar from the early days...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think with the newer one the pickguard is just a clear plastic guard with tin foil glued to the back of it lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Evertune is just a weird trem that doesn't go out of tune as easily, it has nothing to do with temperament. Is the wiggly frets things a temperament thing? I thought it was just compensating for the fact that you have to bend strings (towards the fretboard) in order to feet anything, so this lets you fret in even temperament more accurately across the neck.

edit who knew Willy was playing with true tune this whole time?

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 24, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
As far as I can tell "true temperament" has nothing to do with temperament, it's just more accurate intonation. "True" isn't a temperament the way even or well or Pythagorean are.

The problem with fretted instruments is you have to push the string down against the fretboard, which adds tension and increases the pitch. With fretless lute-like instruments like the viola family you can compensate by putting your finger in a lightly different place, there isn't a metal fret there defining exactly where it'll be pinched off.

Even temperament has the notes divided evenly across the octave. This means that the intervals between notes are consistent, relatively speaking. Even tempered instruments can comfortably play in any key for this reason, the gap between a and b is the same as the gap between eb and f.

There are some issues with this. For one thing, the natural harmonics in a note are not exactly lined up. The second harmonic of A4 (440hz) is 1320hz. E6, which is the fifth an octave up, is 1318.51hz. The difference for non-octave harmonics gets more pronounced the higher you go, and playing wider or more rich chords introduces a bunch of close conflicting frequencies.

edit the other reason I think it's kind of silly is the pitch of a string changes after you strike it, there harder you strum or pick the more sharp the note will sound, with it eventually dropping as it rings out. If you're going to be trem picking you should probably tune down slightly to compensate.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 24, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Actuary X posted:

Yeah it seems like you wouldn't be able to play along with other instruments unless they were set up the same way. You're going to be out of tune with them on some notes.

Again, I think the point of wiggly frets is just to be closer to even temperament, basically to counteract the problems inherent to the way guitars are built. It makes you less out of tune with a piano, effectively.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
This is almost the guitar Bach would loved most because it's absurd and extremely fussy, but the fact that it's not in well temperament would have turned him off entirely.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"Why doesn't Gibson just [simple solution to an obvious issue]" is like their motto

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you can nail the bridge Creep is an all-timer karaoke song.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
drat they got the SRV signature hat band as an accessory too!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Pariscaster might give Thread Hero Pat Finnerty's Hey Soul Squier a run for it's money.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Peter Tosh?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just a reminder that Chevy Chase was an early drummer in proto-Steely Dan.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
eppy gibby

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I used to work big box retail and our dumpster was 1) locked inside the building in a loading dock and 2) full of lots of broken glass and corporate still wanted us to spray red paint all over anything that went in there to discourage people rummaging through it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think anyone's actually mad, except maybe you.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Knowing absolutely nothing about him as a person, 60CH guy gives me extreme Church Guy vibes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Animal Friend posted:

i own two HM-2s and I just plug a telecaster staight into the amp (5150)

Ahhh yes, putting 2 hm2s into the effects loop is a gnarly tone.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just a quick recommendation for Spitfire Audio's LABS (a simplified sampler with some REALLY good instruments available) and Pendulate (a really gnarly mono synth)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's a lot of synths, is one of them a Prophet? I've been having trouble finding a good free prophet.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Does Beato ask him why he feels the need to wear a silly wig in APC?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's insane, is really because Billy is also bald and he thought'd be a bad look to have two white guys with shaved heads.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, if you have the easy means to record both your DI and what you're listening to when you cut it, there can be a value there. What you're hearing when you record is going to impact your playing and the vibe or mojo or whatever, and it's a good idea to build the track around that if you want the guitars to be center stage. That said, sometimes you want a little heavily limited clean channel mixed in with the fuzz to give it some clarity and you don't notice that until you're mixing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Counterpoint: Sunn O)))

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

syntaxfunction posted:

I used to have an old Yamaha OD10MII overdrive that was great, but then modded it to have a voltage choke switch and it loving ruled as a fuzz. Output was lower but just ran a boost after it lol

The real gem is leaving the overdrive on and putting the boost before it for when you want a distortion bordering on fuzz.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

OutOfPrint posted:

In the daw plugin world, Audio Assault released a fart pedal plugin and JST put out a plugin with 6 knobs that do absolutely nothing to preserve a mix when the client is watching and says the vibes aren't right.

One of my teachers used to do something like that with rack gear, there was one preamp that just had a giant unlabeled knob. He wouldn't patch anything through it, but if the A&R rep was getting in the way he'd be like "buddy I really need a hand with this. You gotta turn this knob up every other snare hit, okay?" It'd keep them busy and you could get them to think it was doing whatever they needed to get the vibes right.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Imagine that "tree law" comic but it's thread regulars chanting "katana"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I think that top neck is a danelectro 12 string, that looks like their headstock and I'm p sure that's a 25" scale.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Love that even Snow White makes a dumb face while playing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

JamesKPolk posted:

you're right he's more like proto-prog

less facetiously, I don't think the same thing is happening w/ hendrix/clapton as w/ vai, malmsteen, petrucci, satriani, polyphia/animals as leaders (which yeah is totally a thing) - people just like classic rock with good guitar, it's a similar appeal to led zeppelin imo. or dire straits. (clapton being an rear end in a top hat colors this a bit)

Weather report I have only ever encountered as good jazz fusion supergroup w/ Shorter getting talked up most but I could see Jaco worship being a thing. but then the only people I know who like fusion are musicians or otherwise overly studied so maybe there is something there.

the prog-fusion continuum maybe

Blues ----- (Sabbath) ----- Stoner Metal -- (Sleep) ----- (Gojira) -- Prog ---- (Steely Dan) ---- Fusion

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Kingo Ligma posted:

Stupid music poo poo:

Went to a show last weekend with an extremely self important sound guy.

"I'm Not a DJ" T shirt
Rubbish bin with sign taped to it saying "please file advice for the soundman here" next to the console.
Talking to musicians like they're idiots

Surprising absolutely no one, the mix was dogshit.

Yeah, I remember playing a show once and I asked the soundguy where he wants my amp and he started going off on me about "do I come to your job and tell you what to do"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No 4-neck acoustic, voted 1

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

widefault posted:

yeah, I'd about guarantee he is.

I've been on a Winters Brothers kick lately, which reminded me of personal stupid music poo poo. It took me way too many years to connect the Dan Hartman in The Edgar Winters Group who played bass, sang, and wrote "Free Ride" with the Dan Hartman that sang(and wrote) "I Can Dream About You".

Also awesome music stuff for the double neck guitar/bass with both being used in the same song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIBOG8BRcdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=621Nk3Ubz4A

Died way too young

Dan actually played guitar on Free Ride, although he did generally play bass for the band. Another guitarist (and singer) on that song is Rick Derringer, who would later go on to have a very strange career, producing pretty much all of Weird Al's 80s albums and writing this little ditty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJDAVvs_JA

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Rock Band obscene parodies are a long proud tradition. We always had Deep Purple's Nutsack Star.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Truly a bargain

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That lower horn somehow looks even more like a horngus than on most guitars. Somehow even more than the glanstock there.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Who is Machine Gun Kelly for? Asking sincerely.

My 12 year old nephew likes his pop punk poo poo because he's a fuckin poser

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Dude's got a kid older than most of his audience.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

sporklift posted:

I blame August is Falling.

Even on a Saturday noight?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It’s a nightmarish, crude version of David Lee Roth’s style which is already nightmarish and crude.

Is that pic from when Vai was playing for Roth? I mean the causation could go either way with that, like how Kenny Aronoff touring with The Smashing Pumpkins on Adore wasn't the reason he dressed like a divorced dad trying to date a goth girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Gibson should do more guitars with maple boards. Not that guitar, but other ones.