Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

Nice butts don’t really have a gender tho

The hip/waist ratio does though, they have extremely feminine body types. Add in the voices and hair and people defaulting to calling them by female pronouns makes a lot of sense. For instance Diamond is one of the most feminine characters in anything I'm watching this season, not female, but definitely feminine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about using he/him pronouns for robots like in Transformers? Is that wrong?

Or just use "they" because they don't have genders? Why is this so hard?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

This is all my fault. I'm just gonna stop posting, I can't stop loving it up. :cripes:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

That was a good read, thanks for posting it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Yeah, I find it interesting in that it seems to be in part a very disturbing way of informing the viewer of Phos having thoughts of self-harm. :smith:

I think Phos also does not really see the scale of the downside of losing parts of their body and memories along with them because it's hard to put value to memories you don't have anymore. Phos is so focused on trying to be useful that they assign too much value to their fast new legs, and little value to the memories they lost. I could see a very sad outcome where Phos eventually loses things like their memories of and feelings for Cinnabar, Sensei and the others. :smith:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

dogsicle posted:

why does bort have the longest hair

Incase their sword breaks or is lost.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

EagerSleeper posted:

Is the reason that the Lunarians usually don't go after Sensei because they are bald, hence not as colorful, shiny, and attractive as the other gems?

Also, this episode was pretty hosed. "Oh hey, there's a flesh-colored, slimy-looking torso of a gem person coming out out of the rock. Even though it looks kinda horrifying in its wretchedness, maybe this is the equivalent of a gem baby? :3: Oh gently caress, it just splattered everywhere."

I think they would take Sensei if they could, but considering how powerful Sensei seems to be that looks like it's pretty much impossible. I wonder what Sensei is made of?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Here's a neat piece of art someone made for the latest episode: https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=66066914

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

That scene gives me chills

Not empty quotin'.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Extremely depressed Phos makes me sad. :smith:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

For a start, he looks completely different from the gem people, and he's not targeted by Lunarians. Whatever he is, it's weird.

That assumes that their reverence for him is not covetous.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

What part of what I said suggests I didn't read your first sentence? I'm genuinely curious about how your brain functions.

I'm wondering if you even bother reading what they say at all since:

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Good work, you're good at showing how good you are at reading the first sentence. Maybe you'll read deeper next time, or think about content!!

The show's imagery and a good chunk of plot beats are 100% purestrain Buddhist in nature. It's really fascinating how deep it goes on this.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

lets hang out posted:

its probably right for us to refer to the gems as thems and theys but i think it's a mistake for translators to change the way they refer to one another because there's a reason that they use those terms. but i dunno maybe they got with the author about it and she was cool with it?

also i'm surprised its a thing now since no one cared about "yellow nii-sama" back in ep 6

Yeah, but there can be multiple reasons why the author might choose a certain word for the character to use, for instance when people hear "Boku" they often think it is just a male pronoun, but it also implies youth and immaturity so it can be hard to tell what connotations the author wants you to take from a particular word choice, even more so for people who are not fluent in japanese.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

L-O-N posted:

Speaking of being translucent for photosynthesis, did anyone notice in episode 4 that King eats with her rear?...

Well yeah, I'd sort of assumed that everyone noticed that since octopuses and squids and such all have their mouth down there.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I don't think Kongo is in cahoots with the Lunarians or anything like that, something like that does not make sense in light of the things Kongo has said to the Lunarians when alone, like when the Lunarians attacked in winter. I think Kongo is benevolent, at least from their own perspective, but whether Phos and the other gems would agree is something we don't know.

Anyway, very cool episode, I did not think I would end up feeling sad as that giant Lunarian passed away but they sure got me in the feels right there. Anyway, looking forward to meeting a new gem next week, one with the most 80's rock band hair I've ever seen.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

I did wonder if Kongo's name was a reference to the Congo (which should also really be spelled Kongo) and its historical significance for gem mining.

Kongo means indestructible or adamant in Japanese.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

What a great show, it's really amazing to see a show do the sort of character development we see with Phos in only 12 episodes but they managed it perfectly.

Oh my god that Cinnabar blush. :3:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Myriad Truths posted:

Did any of those have negative consequences though? Particularly when it comes to being bitter and distant, I have a hard time counting that as a character flaw because so many anime treat it like a positive thing because the character is now cooler.

I'd say that achieving one's goals but finding the results of that utterly hollow & pointless and finding oneself in an even worse place afterwards is a pretty big bunch of negative consequences.

I mean, the whole point of some of the gems finding Phos more cool & competent is the dichotomy between their reaction to the "new" Phos and how utterly miserable Phos actually is. Phos got exactly what they wanted, they are now the cool, competent Sempai who can send the Lunarians packing with ease. They are also an insomniatic, self-hating, guilt wracked basket case having hallucinations where they watch someone they truly looked up to basically die over and over again due to their own incompetence. I'm pretty sure we already know if the price Phos paid was worth it, Bort asked that question for us and we already have the answer: "Not a single good thing has come of it."

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

Brain damage can also cause behavioral shifts like what happened to Phos, but it's probably easier to just say Phos grew up from adolescence into a brooding teenager.

fake edit: lol did I just equate being a teenager to brain damage oh well im keeping it

I'd much rather attribute my week long obsession with Libertarianism when I was 16 or so to brain damage than anything else so I'll take it. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

they are not girls but im still having a really hard time not calling dia "she".

Dia has very feminine mannerisms so that's not too surprising.

• Locked thread