Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spankmeister posted:

Yes, this entire outfit is giving me the hacker heebie jeebies. I noticed a couple more problems which I wont discuss on an open forum for search engines to crawl, but what I saw wasn't exactly confidence inspiring. Mostly it looks like it has been abandoned 10 years ago.

I guess that makes it less likely to be strip-mined by private equity, at least.

I wonder how much volume this actually is, given SA and app usage. maybe I should just hack something up in cloudflare’s free tier and see if it bankrupts me

(or I could write it and give it to Jeff to use on their Cloudflare account for the forums in general, and then it could use SA auth for posting!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

You know all this works better without API key fuckery with the catbox shortcut I posted months ago right? You just have to live with British and Australians maybe not being able to see the pictures

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
No idea what cat box is so I looked it up. Apparently it's also blocked by Spectrum, Verizon, and Comcast. And they don't seem to allow image hot linking:

quote:

You cannot use Catbox for commercial services without prior approval. Examples include: a CDN (Content Delivery Network); image host for your business/ecommerce site (embedding hotlinks to Catbox files on your Wordpress site); or as source for videos that are streamed on sites other than files.catbox.moe directly.

Clarification on the above: this only applies to files that are hotlinked outside of Catbox. If you create art, animations, or otherwise, you are free to distribute your creations via Catbox.
Should you violate any of the above banned content, your offending files will be deleted, your account (should you have one) banned, and your IP blacklisted.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Boris Galerkin posted:

No idea what cat box is so I looked it up. Apparently it's also blocked by Spectrum, Verizon, and Comcast. And they don't seem to allow image hot linking:
Disallowed for commercial purposes. Works fine on Comcast here. I think hosting non-image files probably has to do with it (and definitely does in those countries where it is banned for sharing soccer videos)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Is the extra long long press image bug fixable or is this my new, slightly worse life

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mawarannahr posted:

Disallowed for commercial purposes. Works fine on Comcast here. I think hosting non-image files probably has to do with it (and definitely does in those countries where it is banned for sharing soccer videos)

I’m pretty sure having the images displayed on a site that charges an admission fee is commercial use, if using it for a business’s Wordpress site is considered to be such.

And I don’t think the app is going to be integrating with an image host that can’t be seen in the UK or Australia, tbqh.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

You know all this works better without API key fuckery with the catbox shortcut I posted months ago right? You just have to live with British and Australians maybe not being able to see the pictures

I was doing this for purposes of app integration, not shortcuts. As Subjunctive already mentioned your suggestion falls short for that purpose.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

I’m pretty sure having the images displayed on a site that charges an admission fee is commercial use, if using it for a business’s Wordpress site is considered to be such.

And I don’t think the app is going to be integrating with an image host that can’t be seen in the UK or Australia, tbqh.

Yeah, my suggestion was a little tongue in cheek, and I do use postimages for those reasons, but it's clear from what has been posted that postimages has no loving clue what they are doing and are not long for this world.

I think it's still non commercial use unless Jeffrey does it or Awful.app becomes paid

In general you have to be some kind of insane or stupid to run a free image host

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You say that but I’m half musing about rolling my own to self host and so on. I know there are some out there already but I’m not sure they’re set up so you can easily add stuff to them and get a link back like you can with imgur/postimages.

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat
Is there a option to have copied embed links not be a a million characters?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Barcley posted:

Is there a option to have copied embed links not be a a million characters?

that's not the ios app's fault. paste it into wherever you wanted to go, then delete the question mark and everything after it. it's just useless tracking crud websites add these days.

as an example, https://youtu.be/ssob-7sGVWs?si=EJ_JaURjCxLQ1IC9

can be cut down to https://youtu.be/ssob-7sGVWs and still works

(this is just a link to the cathode ray dude video that dropped today. you should watch it. gravis is funny and cool and good.)

ps: if you're sharing a youtube link and it has a "&t=" part, keep that, that's the part that tells youtube the link is to a particular second in the video.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

iOS was supposed to have some feature that stripped that stuff but I don’t know what happened to it and I personally would not want to sign up for handling the inevitable support issues if I added something like that into the app proper

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It's not an easy problem to solve because url parameters are totally valid in some cases, like for the aforementioned timestamp on YouTube, or searching on Google. For example if I search "something awful" on google in a private window I get the following:

code:
https://www.google.com/search?q=something+awful&
Where there's literally 1105 more characters appended at the end. All of it is probably used to identify who I am, while the part above is sufficient to actually run the search (without the &).

Not sure how you would make a single rule that would stop out all these extra parameters, while also keeping the ones that matter, like q= in this case.

But anyway, I do have a shortcut for this that I made some time ago. It won't work for things like Google because it'll strip everting after the "?" sign. But it works for most websites.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/a6ac7a8b61ba43c684484eda617b2041

Highlight a url or share the link, select the shortcut, and then copy the resulting URL's

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I can’t figure out what the conditions are that cause it but seemingly randomly the plat grenade drops from the end of a username to the space between the username and the join date. If it happens it happens on the whole page rather than just one post.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Is it me or are the order of these buttons sometimes switching around?

I was trying to view pencilhands’ new ahegao hipster pug avatar and ended up accidentally putting him on ignore. The three-dots post menu changes too sometimes and I accidentally report posts :(

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

buglord posted:

Is it me or are the order of these buttons sometimes switching around?

I was trying to view pencilhands’ new ahegao hipster pug avatar and ended up accidentally putting him on ignore. The three-dots post menu changes too sometimes and I accidentally report posts :(

If the place you touch is on the bottom half/top half of your screen, the list will grow a different direction. It's weird to get used to but apparently also not a simple thing to fix

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's not an easy problem to solve because url parameters are totally valid in some cases, like for the aforementioned timestamp on YouTube, or searching on Google. For example if I search "something awful" on google in a private window I get the following:

code:
https://www.google.com/search?q=something+awful&
Where there's literally 1105 more characters appended at the end. All of it is probably used to identify who I am, while the part above is sufficient to actually run the search (without the &).

Not sure how you would make a single rule that would stop out all these extra parameters, while also keeping the ones that matter, like q= in this case.

But anyway, I do have a shortcut for this that I made some time ago. It won't work for things like Google because it'll strip everting after the "?" sign. But it works for most websites.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/a6ac7a8b61ba43c684484eda617b2041

Highlight a url or share the link, select the shortcut, and then copy the resulting URL's

Awesome, thanks for this!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I even have the shortcut switch back to Awful for me and it works great.

This stopped working for me.
I just get an error saying the files don’t have the right structure. I tried different setting. But nothing seems to work. Uploading to Imgur through a phone doesn’t work anymore even with desktop version of the page. or going straight to /upload. So I wonder how everyone manages to upload pictures now ?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Go back a few pages in the thread. Short version is Imgur broke something and the shortcut doesn’t work anymore, there’s an alternative one with PostImages that works essentially the same way.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hey goons I made a thing to upload pictures to postimages thanks to someone else reverse engineering their API:

https://github.com/ShareX/ShareX/issues/472

Taking a screenshot and uploading via a shortcut:

Here's the shortcut:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/aac0490fbdb349a1bd78dab37b5d7d67

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/05a19d6803b444a98e1f5577e693d9d1
(this one has a menu to copy the url or timg code)

Someone better than me can play with the shortcut a bit and post an even better version.

There is an API token in the shortcut which was just obtained by right click view source. It's the same token that's posted in that GitHub.

Test

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Difficult to reshare from that host.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I appreciate the coincidence with the usernames here, mrfart and fartknocker.

---

I just tried to post too fast in a slow thread and got this error message:

I'm assuming the message title is wrong.

E: maybe it should say "this thread" as well?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So back to the having to hold for 10 seconds on an image issue. One weird thing I’ve noticed is that after you have done it for one image the next one you press pops up in the appropriate amount of time lol.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

MarcusSA posted:

So back to the having to hold for 10 seconds on an image issue. One weird thing I’ve noticed is that after you have done it for one image the next one you press pops up in the appropriate amount of time lol.

Only if you press the same image the second time, right? If I try two different ones in a row, I get the long delay on each.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Only if you press the same image the second time, right? If I try two different ones in a row, I get the long delay on each.

No I got it for different images. I was saving memes from the meme thread and noticed it.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
What's fun is when you're trying to do the very special double tap dance instead of the extra long method and you keep sending to the bottom of the long post because you have that double tap feature on :manning:

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Test

e: thanks for the shortcut. Finally able to phonepost again.

Are we ever going to get the premium upload feature here? I miss that ever since I switched from android. (Would code it myself if I had any experience with iOS/swift , but alas)

gbut fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 7, 2024

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Had to delete and reinstall the shortcut from the link posted above. Testing picture of my backyard installation this week:

Edit:

It works, just took forever (I’m impatient) to upload and spit out a timg for me!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gbut posted:

Are we ever going to get the premium upload feature here?

Do you mean the forums attachments?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Luxury uploads.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean the forums attachments?

Yup, the luxury uploads.
I think I read in one of the updates (maybe even this thread??) that the media will be extracted out of the db and will increase is allowed size at some point “soon”.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

gbut posted:

Yup, the luxury uploads.
I think I read in one of the updates (maybe even this thread??) that the media will be extracted out of the db and will increase is allowed size at some point “soon”.

"soon" lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I hope extracting the images from the database isn’t taking a lot of the time!

I think you will find support for that added very promptly once it’s working. I wish I had an estimate of how much image traffic is generated from app uploads, because if it’s not too much I would just whip up a Cloudflare/Backblaze image hosting thing and pay for it myself. It can’t be that much, right? It’s probably the cheapest way to do that sort of thing, and it’s very tempting.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It's tempting but then you need to have some sort of policies in place for removing content that violates things like GDPR or the CA version of it, or content that is CSAM and and and… or even just simple copyrighted material. Probably better off letting someone else handle all that lol.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I know but…yeah.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Goons have come a long way, but yeah, not sure if I’d trust us that much.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hey goons I made a thing to upload pictures to postimages thanks to someone else reverse engineering their API:

https://github.com/ShareX/ShareX/issues/472

Taking a screenshot and uploading via a shortcut:

Here's the shortcut:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/aac0490fbdb349a1bd78dab37b5d7d67

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/05a19d6803b444a98e1f5577e693d9d1
(this one has a menu to copy the url or timg code)

Someone better than me can play with the shortcut a bit and post an even better version.

There is an API token in the shortcut which was just obtained by right click view source. It's the same token that's posted in that GitHub.

We should probably put this in the OP

Edit: test

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Surely this third party image host won't present problems in the future!

(I know I know -- I just wish attachments 2.0 could be accelerated in any fashion.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Astral was on a leave of absence for most of last year and has 20 years of stuff to unscrew; I generally believe their claims of priority and I appreciate declining to commit to a timeline so they don't get chased off when it is inevitably delayed.