Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Snowy posted:

The last time I mentioned this I should have kept my mouth shut. I said that the links at the bottom of the page should say first page/last page since it went to the top of the last page, not to the last post.

Then it got changed to actually go to the last post, which to me kinda sucks because then I go Last Post >end of last page>immediately scroll back to top of last page.

Maybe other people want to catch up by only reading the very last post of a thread but I pretty much always want a little context so starting at the top of the last page of the thread was way better.

If we do change it back to First / Last page - which I agree is probably more useful - maybe we should swap out those words for the |<< (Refresh arrows) >>| icons for consistency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

On the color front, imo the color diff between a read post and unread one on the alternate theme in dark mode is way too small

Maybe the value #00142b would be good for unread. It's a similar brightness but the same level of saturation and same hue as the top two bars.

Before / After

Also, one more colour thing that should be changed is the background black should be changed to proper #000000 black for the OLED iPhone X, it's currently #060606.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Zenostein posted:

This is a pretty minor thing, but is there any chance you can tweak the bookmark colors? Using the white theme, it’s pretty difficult to read the unread post count for anything bookmarked yellow.

I reckon all the yellows in app should be the same as the stars on the forum list - #ffcd00 - which are slightly darker than the current yellow used for the bookmark numbers. If we could change the stickied thread corner triangles to this value too that'd be good for consistency.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Do you think as a compromise we could remove the notification badge from the forums icon, and change the star color on the forum menu to that same red?

It's the nagging feeling I get from the notification that I need to do something that irks me. I'd be at peace with them showing up in the forum list if they were more distinguishable from the starred threads I think.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

I'm not trying to argue that this way of thinking is particularly correct, but it's how I approach the project.

I think it's a good way to approach the forums honestly and I get where you're coming from.

Grace Baiting posted:

As the Ideas Guy™ for this, please note that I am owed 50% of any revenue accrued from this Idea.

Adding to that a bit, here's a mock up of how I could see it working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqSc06_5mZY

I've thought for a while that it'd be good for the background to blur / fade / both when a button's triggered and the icons come up since sometimes I hit a button and don't realised they've popped up.

Also maybe the 'Joined 08/10/2004' bit under the usernames could be switched to how it displays in the desktop forums - 'Oct 08, 2004' and given a bit more spacing below the username. It's a bit more compact that way and cleaner.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 22, 2017

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

It occurs to me we should probably take a look at our dark theme(s) and tweak them for iPhone X's OLED screen. Or maybe we make a dedicated iPhone X theme. Somehow I doubt iPhone X will be Apple's last OLED phone so it'll come in handy down the road.

I made a post a while back with some suggestions for color values with that and last read in mind that'd be good to test.

A seperate idea for the UI I thought could look good is a slight rounding of the corners of each post, it'd fit a bit more into the look of ios11 (in a good way!) and help to seperate posts at a glance as you scroll.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Wikipedia app just got an update with a Black theme for OLED displays that looks pretty good, maybe we could rip that off for our iPhone X theme?

The main difference between that and ours is making the background of the post body black rather than the spaces between posts. They also made their page header a dark grey which looks great too IMO.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

I'm on board. I also kinda wanna do the light switch gesture (to turn dark mode on/off) now that I'm aware of its existence in an app I use (Overcast, who I believe took it from one of the Twitter apps).

I don't know what this light switch gesture is but it sounds cool.

Here's a mock up I made for an OLED theme in thread view:

It's mostly all 000000 black. The dividing lines are 1a1a1a gray, and I gave them rounded edges so they'd melt into the OLED more. Text color values are all the same as before in this image but I think the link blue color should be brightened to 0066ff.

The background for the Parent Forum | Previous Posts | End of Page buttons could be 1a1a1a also.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 30, 2017

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hey I've done some :spergin: tweaks to some of the app icons here. They were incorrectly scaled before resulting in some fringing artifacts wherever 2 colours would meet. That's been fixed along with some tiny changes to :frogout: and :staredog:. I've also made some dark backdrop versions of :v: and the gold icon.

Finally, the list icons for larger devices has been redrawn as there was an error in there.

Can someone please drop these into the app? Thanks!

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

there's no new dark mode that i'm aware of

I posted some colour values for a future black OLED mode a while back that are probably on a list somewhere. Maybe obi_ant means the dark mode with alt app theme?

I do think that in addition to a new iPhone X theme we may as well swap out the current (very close to) black (#060606) with absolute (#000000) black on the dark mode already in the app. I don't know about coding but could that be accomplished with a find / replace?

carry on then posted:

Done. I also fixed the icon gallery's background in dark mode.

Thanks!

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

quote:

Love it!

Realised I didn't mention it at the time - the :doggo: image above is a link to the folder containing the graphics for the app.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I normally read towards the top of a page. I think this would be different for everyone.

How about the last post has say, half a screen of blank space underneath it. Like a buffer that you need to scroll through before beginning the pull to next page trigger. I think that absence of text would be visible enough in the peripheral vision for the user to realise they've reached the end so they'd be more conscious of scrolling further. Like how it is when you open a previously read thread and there are only 1/2 posts left.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

When browsing on iPad with a keyboard I hit the space bar to jump down the thread a bit. Quite often this stops working - it can be if I look at an image full screen, or click a link then return.

I've noticed that I can (sort of inconsistently) get the space bar working again by pressing various buttons in the thread (thread settings, share button, (...) button. If I mash these buttons on and off enough eventually the keyboard has an effect again.

It feels similar to if a window on a desktop loses focus or something. Would be great if this didn't happen but realise it's a bit of an edge case.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hey I'm procrastinating again which means I've given the app icons and main :v: throbber an overhaul. Little tweaks where I can to simplify them and clean them up.

If someone could try popping them in an upcoming beta for a test spin that would be rad.

Here they are.

All the dimensions and naming should be the same except for the blue circled ones that look like this:

These ones I've upped the dimensions from 64x64/96x96 to 72x72/108x108.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Icons look good I think.

The ignore one should be a crossed out eye instead of open though.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Touché!

I like the new :v: throbber in the dark theme, but I like the outline one better in light theme. I’m pondering keeping both. What do you think?

Maybe try switching the new one to grey? It's heavier now so maybe it needs to be lightened up.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah excellent work, Pokey.

I was thinking - should I update those private message icons? I don't really PM so have barely used the feature but they look quite dated at the moment.

What are the states that currently exist for PM's? Unread, read, replied?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Jerk detected! User ignored.

Or just

User ignored.

Would work even with a huge font. It's clearly a pushable link so the rest isn't needed.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

There's also "forwarded". I stole them from the site proper, assuming that people would know what they meant in that case (if they know at all), but I'm open to new icons.

Hey, I've made these now. They're named unread-msg, read-msg, rep-msg and fwd-msg.

(In the 2x & 3x folders)

I've also made changes to the others in the set (still same naming and dimensions) so if you could pop those into the next beta that'd be great!

e: Some other things - Share URL could maybe just be Share. I've changed that icon to the more typical share icon.

The brightness sun icons in settings currently appear black on the dark theme.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 8, 2018

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Not sure about this particular one but I'm always on board with goofy animations for things.

Yeah I love 'em. I'm not one to volunteer spanky's time but if there are any requests…

Where else in the app could we have unique animations? I made some others a while ago we could try implementing. I think the :v: and :niggly: work well in their current places (loading threads/loading thread lists.) I thought the tick when you add a bookmark could be replaced with an animating tick on the book icon. Removing a mark could have the cross on a book (currently does another tick I think.)

Just previewing this post now and there's a blank screen for a second. Maybe one can go there? Top priority would probably be a satisfying animation for when you make a post.

I'm always willing to add new app icons. Not all of smilies translate well though.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Maybe this animation for a new post?

Link.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Sereri posted:

That might make people feel too good compared to whatever garbage they just smeared into a thread.

Like this post.

Hmm yes maybe this one is more appropriate.

:shrek:

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Any screens that just stay blank while loading are bugs, we should fix those (custom animation or not).

Anywhere we show the loading hud is a candidate for a custom animation. I've also been thinking about a nicer way to report progress when tapping actions in popovers (like when you tap the … on a post). Not saying we need custom animations for every action icon, but if you get super bored… :)

Oh yeah that's a cool idea. So you mean like if you hit the Post Settings button in the lower left the circular switches would swap places or something?

At the moment those bottom corner buttons (and the ... button) are obscured a bit by the 'tab' of the bubble that appears. I feel like that interface needs to be updated a bit - like maybe the background could dim more and blur out to emphasise the new window in the foreground. At the same time the button pressed could remain at full brightness and animate to its active state. Could also remove that little tab on the bubble.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 26, 2018

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The icon for share in the latest beta should be the one named 'copy-url' instead of 'copy-iphone'

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I've made a new folder here.

Inside I've got some new things.

Animation for Bookmarking a thread:

Animation for UnBookmarking a thread:

I've made a new 'default-tag' for PM's, that should look like this when put in:

It will need to shift in colour based on the app theme.

A new 'no-tag' for the ones currently without created tag art. It will also need to shift in colour based on the app theme. The existing one looks like this:

A new ignore icon so we don't have the same icon for 'ignore user' and 'mark unread'

Also included the aforementioned copy-url@#x.png for easy access. This one needs to be used for 'Share'

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

Those are sweet

Thanks!

Two more things someone can try out in the next beta:

I've made these as png sequences and put them in the Toggle Animations fodler.

They're both 10 frames long. Ideally you'd push the button, they'd play to the 10th frame and stop, then hitting it again would play them backwards back to the 1st frame.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 5, 2018

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

These look great, and it's no trouble to have them match the app theme, but they're 40x40 points and the actual tags are all 45x45 points. Do you mind booping the no-tags out a bit? Thanks!

Here are some updated ones that should work.

In the 2x / 3x folders

We're currently using the 'share' box-with-arrow-coming-out for post options, and it seems weird to hit that icon and have the same icon appear within that next menu. I've switched it back to the previously used chain link, which I've seen used by Apple somewhere before.

Also tweaked some others.

pokeyman posted:

I was picturing the button in the popover itself would turn into a spinner. Something like:

1. Tap … button on post.
2. Popover appears.
3. Tap "Mark Read".
4. "Mark Read" turns into a spinner.
5a. Operation succeeds: "Mark Read" spinner turns into checkmark and popover closes shortly thereafter.
5b. Operation fails: "Mark Read" spinner turns into X, show alert informing user of failure.
5c. User dismisses popover: no problem, operation continues in background. If user taps same … button again, "Mark Read" is still a spinner.

Okay, so you'd need 3 new animations then I think - a spinner that occupies the same space / shape as the circular icons, then a 'success' and 'failure' animation that (as seamlessly as possible) carries on from the spinner.

Do you think I should make these at the same dimensions or would it be possible / a good idea to make them at say, double the size so you could make them expand and center on screen once pressed?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I think I'll need to make the 'no thread tag' look more generic. Currently gives off too much of a something has gone wrong vibe.

Could we maybe look at combining the existing theme options into a more concise menu that we could add an OLED one to? Rather than splitting light, dark and having an alt switch it could be arranged like

OG light / OG dark / Alt Light / Alt Dark / OLED. Shown as themed circles ala the 'style' menu in thread settings.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

Yeah I think the problem is the new no thread tag look is based on the icons, so it's a mis-match with the other thread tags and it stands out because of it. The goal isn't really to stand out and say "This tag doesn't work!" it's more so to blend in with the other tags when there is a problem. The original idea was it would blend in with the other thread tags but act as a to-do for Diabolik and me.

Yeah maybe one of these would work better? Or - and here's a thought I just had - What if it's whatever you set your app icon to?

The Dave posted:

Honestly maintaining OG & Alt themes just seems silly. They're so similiar and I get you didn't want to step on any toes when you first did it but rip the band aid off. I personally like the OG more and want duller colors when I'm using the dark theme in low light but it's such a minor change people will adapt.

Maybe the best route would be choosing a base, light/dark/yospos, and then being able to customize a primary color with some presets provided.

I think this is a real good idea. I remember when I used the Android app you could choose heaps of the colours and it was great customisation but way too many options. I said a while ago it'd be cool if you could choose the accent colour and the app would auto lighten / darken it in certain places where required, like the 'Parent Forum, Scroll To End...' menu would be the user selected accent colour + a semi transparent layer of black on top to dim it. All the non accent colours could be neutral / grayscale so any colour you chose would look pretty good.

The Dave posted:

This mock up is a little chaotic but it's trying to show off a couple of things, I think in regular use and in the middle of threads it would be super clean:

I really like most of the changes / features you put in here. The small, cropped thread titles have always been a bit annoying so the extra space is good - I do feel like a the post button should be one-tap away rather than (I assume) put in a menu somewhere. The page progress bar would be awesome to have. Also using that End of Thread section as a functional space is dope.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

Yeah it’s the catch of making that area bigger. My idea was the bottom right becomes a catch all three actions menu that includes reply. Also liked moving that action towards the bottom of the screen so then there’s nothing relying on the top bar and making everything very reachable.
Yeah on second thought I guess it's not that big a deal. It's definitely more reachable, and quoting a post is two-taps currently too.

The Dave posted:

Idea no one will like: reply as a 3D Touch shortcut option on that button.

I don't think anyone would ever find that feature but it's not a terrible idea.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

I also imagine using menus like most apps use now (this iOS native component? that's my assumption):

Would be cool if I could timg mp4 files.

It looks great.

Is there a reason to have the thread title at the top of that menu? It'd look heaps cleaner without.

Same with the quote mark.

Is this the end of my icons :ohdear:

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

I'm just noticing maybe the thread tag is stretched on that menu? Whatever this is supposed to be rough.

I thought the context and showing the thread tag was nice? No functional support, I was thinking for user name taps you would get their name + title + Join date + avatar up top as well and I thought maybe this followed that template.

It feels like it's doubling up information to me cause the thread title is already at the top of the screen. I guess it is sometimes truncated up top so there is a benefit to it. Could it be reduced in scale a bit maybe?

I like the idea for user clicking. Like a mini profile page almost.

The Dave posted:

Not obvious, but I'm using the quote mark as a button to jump to the quoted post. Arguably does not have to be blue.

Oh this is actually pretty rad then. Ignore me.

The Dave posted:

Oh no. I'm just using Font Awesome 5 to have something quick to put in these mock ups, no intention to redesign the solid work you've done but too lazy to manage them in my sketch file right now.

Phew!

I think the new post time placement is good but they seem too prominent now. Could they be a bit smaller perhaps? Maybe am/pm could be lowercase with a space between the number and am/pm to make it less shouty.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I've experienced a few crashes this last beta when I've come back into the app after a while and tried to open a thread from bookmarks.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I tried this but the app spat me out on to my home screen again

E: This was on an old iPhone 5. On a newer one now and not getting any issues.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 21, 2018

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hey The Dave if I can help in any way with the OLED theme you've been working let me know. Graphics or mock ups or something.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Thanks for the kind icon feedback!

The pull for next page seems better than before on the Xs. Once triggered though it takes a lot of movement back up the page to disable the trigger, if that makes sense.

Also, is it possible to give a haptic mini vibration on trigger? That would really level it up.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I thought it was on pages where there are deleted tweets

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

On the latest beta if I tap a tweet I'm no longer taken to it. I can still hit the tweeters user name to go to their account though.

e: holy moly I can play embedded twitter videos in app though

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I can't tap on quoted pictures to view them either.