Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The :frogout: app icon made me smile. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any way to fix tweets not properly loading on a page? It usually works as it should, but on random pages I'll only get the text instead of the embed. Reloading the page usually doesn't help.

Also, in case this isn't a known issue: sometimes when making a post, the preview screen won't let me post, instead leading to another preview screen (and then another). Canceling out resolves the issue (allowing me to post what was previewed).

This happened with this very message btw.

[iPhone SE]

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 21, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Version 3.29 should point here. Did we screw this up?

It links correctly, for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Would it be possible for embedded tweets to open in twitter when pressed rather than in Safari? Or is that out of your hands?

E:My bad they apparently already do. Maybe I accidentally flipped the setting when scrolling.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 22, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

This seems like a bug in the app maybe

Edit: vid url in the top image is valid, but it gets formatted improperly on the preview and results in a broken video box/YouTube error when posted.

I think that's just because it doesn't know how to format "youtu.be" links (which Youtube provides for sharing). Copy the preview text, change "video type" to "youtube" and it should embed properly.

If you pasted a "youtube.com" link it would've formatted properly, I believe.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQSE7STCpSY

code:
[video type="youtube"]aQSE7STCpSY[/video]
I think "youtube" might have to be in lowercase. (posted via awful)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Caithness posted:

Also also sometimes my forums list won’t display anything above or below the ones it was on when I opened it, and clicking the ones it does display becomes very finicky. This can be fixed by quitting and restarting the app.

Was going to post about this soon. Like described above, most threads will simply turn blank, the remaining thread/s stay in the order they were in, as in they don't jump up to the top of the list. (E: this is in bookmark view)

Separate issue: sometimes I feel thread selection is too sensitive. I accidentally deleted a thread today. I'm not sure if being able to delete a thread so easily just by pulling is by design. (Still not sure what I deleted).

E: one more thing, sometimes I can't select a thread from my bookmarks. I can scroll the list but the app doesn't seem to respond to pressing. More specifically it doesn't respond to pressing to open a thread. The bottom buttons (lepers, settings etc.) respond fine.

[iPhone SE]

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 1, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TraderStav posted:

I also deleted a bookmarked thread and it happened so fast I had no idea which one. The tolerance between grabbing a thread for deletion and swiping back to view a thread is too narrow.

Perhaps a pop up box asking if you want to remove the bookmark would solve? I imagine that is a pretty rare action as to not being overbearing.

A common way (I think?) of handling tab deletion is to have the swipe only reveal the delete button, rather than be an alternate way of deleting in itself (that's how I first assumed it worked with Awful; maybe it did before).

It makes the process a bit slower, especially if you're deleting a lot of things, but I'd prefer the peace of mind of less accidents.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Editing also doesn’t work for me, but unlike the previous solution I haven’t been able to discover a work around.

It does usually work for me (with the same workaround), but once or twice I've had to restart the app to get past the preview screen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

I think there is a bug that I actually like: when I try to click the link to view the post of someone I have on ignore, I get a different random post from earlier in the thread. So I still don’t see the post of the person I have on ignore, saving me from my own curiosity.

In my experience that only happens with unread posts. If you load the page again it should display properly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

carry on then posted:

Anyone else having an issue with external links when using Awful Browser? Specifically, tapping the link causes the status bar text to darken but nothing else happens, and the app starts behaving oddly? Trying to track this thing down but I’m not sure if anyone else is seeing it.

I've had that happen at least once, but I'm quite sure it was before the last update. I didn't report it because it didn't recur. (may have happened twice, can't remember for sure.)

e: iPhone SE, if that helps at all

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 18, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Do post previews not load for others sometimes? This is an issue I've had for ages but assumed it might have been the fault of having an old phone, but I'm still getting it with the new SE. Changing pages in the thread sometimes fixes this.

MarcusSA posted:

This is a weird bug but the titles of the threads disappears if I lock my phone with the thread up.

It obviously comes back but it’s gone till I go back to my bookmarks.

Do quotes only show up that way on the big cool phones? This is what I see

Or is it a theme?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The dog icon was genuinely great

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If SA's not quite dead, I'd like to suggest a minor feature for Awful. Would it be a lot of work, and something others don't mind, to make pressing the bookmarks button when already viewing bookmarks scroll the page to the top? Just a way to make refreshing the tab more convenient.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 4, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

carry on then posted:

you can just tap the status bar at the top of the screen. works on any iOS scroll view

For me it's a question of comfort, especially with a larger screen. YouTube and Twitter and probably others work this way.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Think scrolling is enough.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Or resize.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thank you.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

my posting is just that bad :[

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Clicking an SA quote loads a new page (as it should). But on iPhone I can swipe from the left edge of the screen to return to where I was reading. How I do this on ipad since swiping from the left pulls up the bookmark bar?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 28, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

The arrow in the upper left corner should take you back. That’s how I do it on my iPad.
Yes thanks that works. Though I think I accidentally managed to do it once with a gesture.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don't actually mind it. Makes it a bit easier not to overlook what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

the app has been a bit laggy since the last update. iPhone SE 2020.

It stutters when scrolling. When pulling to refresh, the rotating smiley will stay for a second too long (after the bookmarks have refreshed). Keyboard may take longer to show up. Opening a forum from the forum list takes a second to load, and the animation stuttered for me.

However, these seem to be one time events. That is, once the lags disappears (and it's a matter of seconds if not less) it's gone for good until I leave the app for long enough for the problems to reappear.

E: for now at least, resetting the phone seems to have fixed it

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 3, 2021