Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

Is there a way to preview a post on iPad?

for me, it goes to a preview after i hit reply before actually posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Were the thread icons redrawn at a higher resolution for the app? They look very different, some good some bad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I guess this is kind of a feature suggestion. If I open up a bookmark with a new post, I get a view that’s JUST the new post. But if I want to see the context for that new post, I have to tap on Previous Posts and then Jump to Last or whatever to get the new post right in front of me with the posts just before it also visible. It would be nice if the app either opened the last page of the bookmarked thread with that entire page’s posts and jumped right to the new ones, or if there was a quick action to view all the posts - pull up or down maybe?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
For some reason the YouTube embeds in Awful don't seem to connect to the actual YouTube app at all. Do I need to sign into YouTube again in Safari or something to make it work if I want to pop a video out into the app to watch it full screen with all the trimmings?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

carry on then posted:

yeah they won’t be connected to your account because our posts web view doesn’t have access to Safari cookies or know to send you to the app. Nothing we can control about that, but yeah just long press or whatever to get it to open in Safari/the YouTube app to pop things into your watch history.

This works, thanks! I figured it was just some wonky thing I didn’t know how to interact with, I’m okay with the app not actually counting as YouTube views for me. Thanks everyone!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I did not know there were more options I am rocking the ghost now thank you

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

This makes perfect sense because that’s when I noticed it as well.

Can confirm I get it on my iPad Pro with promotion screen as well

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

Did YouTube change something? Every time I run into an embed in the app it fails to load the thread and then loops trying to load and failing.

is the thread failing to load or the embed? the embed loading like 10 seconds and then getting stuck in a loop has been a thing for ages. you can tap and hold on the embed to open it in the youtube app

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t call people very often, but those are all voice mails that are 3 seconds of silence or 25 seconds of Mandarin, so I have to Do Work to delete them.

yeah for people who aren't aware the spam call situation in canada right now is completely fuckin dire

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

monkeytennis posted:

Hi,

I’ve noticed that when connected via Wi-Fi in certain places I can’t use the app. This is the message I get. What does it mean and can I fix it! On an iPhone 7.

That means whoever is hosting the Wi-Fi is trying to do VERY VERY BAD things and peek at your private communications. Do not use that Wi-Fi network AT ALL.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So on my iPad Pro that counts as an oled and I guess I should use the oled dark theme? Am I understanding this right? What’s the benefit to using a specific theme for the screen type?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

...! posted:

Is there no option for a 12-hr. clock?

do you have the option set in your user options in the user control panel here on SA?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Feedback: I think the three dot context menu for doing stuff to posts has changed. It’s kind of weird that quote isn’t the first option for posts that aren’t yours (or edit for ones that are), since that’s presumably the most common thing in the menu.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

spanky the dolphin posted:

That looks so dated now. drat.

I think this order might make more sense.

Last Read

Along a similar line, remove bookmark should be at the bottom of the bookmark menu.

This sounds good to me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just saw the animated ghost for a dead tweet. Fun and rad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You can also hit edit in the upper left and then remove them that way.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

So I have the awful app for iPhone and iPad, and the app will crash within 2 minutes on both when browsing almost without fail right now. Anyone else running into this?

Get a better phone/pad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Actual bug report: on the oled dark theme, the “is this post nsfw” (at least I THINK it’s that) text above the toggle is invisible when you try to report something

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Quackles posted:

I have never used that in the app because it's clunky as heck and hard to use.

And I have never used that out of the app because it can't insert the images.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does anyone else have issues with embedded YouTube’s? I can play about 3 seconds of a video then it sits and loads for the next few minutes.

Yes. Tap and hold and an option pops up to view it in the actual YouTube app

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Warbird posted:

Does anyone have a file explorer app they’re fond of? Files is decent but apparently uses a version of SMB that is laughably out of date among other assorted issues.

FileBrowser Pro, but nothing is going to change the built in iOS SMB support I don’t think

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Warbird posted:

The recent updates appear to have not addressed my bad posting. Plz fix.

That’s more of a WONTFIX, sorry.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
For some reason I’ve lost all the options for app icons. I’m just using the regular build from the App Store. The only option visible is the blue background with five gold bars.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skeezy posted:

Yeah that was an issue with the TestFlight for a while. The TF build now has the fix and new icons.

Well I’ll be damned guess I was on that after all. Just updated, hopefully it’s fixed.

e: yesss I have horribly distorted riker face as my icon now, score

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

...! posted:

Was this just updated? It's now committing an unforgivable sin: defaulting to starting sentences with capital letters in YOSPOS. It used to correctly leave the shift button alone. Now I have to remember to manually unshift lest I look like a fool :argh:

isn't that an autocorrect setting in the defaults for ios itself

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

The app forces it off for some forums but maybe there’s a bug. I haven’t noticed it, if so.

Oh, neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Barcley posted:

Is there a option to have copied embed links not be a a million characters?

that's not the ios app's fault. paste it into wherever you wanted to go, then delete the question mark and everything after it. it's just useless tracking crud websites add these days.

as an example, https://youtu.be/ssob-7sGVWs?si=EJ_JaURjCxLQ1IC9

can be cut down to https://youtu.be/ssob-7sGVWs and still works

(this is just a link to the cathode ray dude video that dropped today. you should watch it. gravis is funny and cool and good.)

ps: if you're sharing a youtube link and it has a "&t=" part, keep that, that's the part that tells youtube the link is to a particular second in the video.