Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

More or less the same here. It’s nice to have the toggle so I don’t advance forward by accident. That being said I’ll give without a go and see if the improvements make it so it’s not an issue.

I assume the spoiler revealing issues are a known thing. Does it have anything to do with screen size? It didn’t manifest until I jumped from an SE to an XS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yeah, that’s been a thing for a bit. Best I can tell the app can’t account for the change on the y axis that embeds take up. It’s been really good about correcting itself afterwards these days.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

spanky the dolphin posted:

For pull to refresh, why not have a 1/2 screen padding buffer at the end of the page?

I've thought about the same, but I think it would break the "flow" of browsing. The current pull implementation is pretty good, but might could use a tweak or two. Right now, momentum from scrolling is stopped if the scroll hits the end of a page and that works pretty well. However, if you're reading a longer post that's last or next to last it's pretty easy to pull into the next page mid post without realizing. I personally read in the "middle" of the screen so it's not easy to notice you've hit the bottom as some of that screen real estate is reserved by my thumb scrolling up.

Occam's Razor says to just keep it as is and let clutzs like myself toggle on the no pull option.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The gesture based page switching someone mentioned was interesting. I don’t know many apps that support it though.

Bug talk: I occasionally get caught in “preview loops” where I can’t advance to post and keep getting put into preview. Workaround is to cancel out and hit the make post button, which brings you to the submit post page with your looped post. It’s a minor annoyance at worst, so no hurry.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

A thought on the pull scroll thing: instead of changing the functionality, how about tweaking the displayed info to prevent people accidentally advancing? Something to make it a bit more apparent that you’re at the bottom of the page. I could see a color gradient or shading the last post of a page differently being viable.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Port this to the iWatch for hilarity’s sake.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Scroll talk: I’m pretty confident that this is a UI “problem” rather than a “UX” one. I’m curious if the people who are right handed are the ones having issues with the pull to next page feature. Their thumbs/hands block sight of the scroll bar near the bottom potentially contributing to the accidental progress issue. Flipping the bar’s side (optionally) might be enough of a UI change to “fix” things.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Shortcuts is(are?) quickly becoming my favorite feature for iOS. It doesn’t hold a candle to stuff you can do on Android of course, but people are doing really interesting stuff with it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I was having a minor issue accessing the 3 dot menu on a post but was able to bring it up via repeated taps or a long press. I’ve had similar success for spoiler and user pop up issues as well. Could the trigger box for these items be getting scaled weirdly for some reason? It seems like there’s a sweet spot that is more easily hit by the repeated tapping and/or long press.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Was using the alt theme and experiencing the spoiler bug. I’ve disabled and will report back. Using a XS.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

What’s your line of thinking on the spoilers to alt theme link?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

carry on then posted:

I messed up the implementation of the alt theme and as a result changes to the spoiler element css were not being picked up by the alternate theme's stylesheet.

Ah the classic “whoopsiedoodle”. Happens to the best of us. Good to see some progress there.

So what’s the story with the imgur uploads? I saw the improvements mentioned in the latest patch but I don’t actually see where/how to do them in the app.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Test

Edit: Thats pretty snazzy.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Life is good.

So about that pull to advance to next page feature....

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Just joshing you bud, it’s all good. I don’t know if you tweaked something or my dumb rear end is just adapting but I haven’t had a false advance in a bit.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Come to think of it, is the page advance tied to the CSS in a similar way that the spoilers were? If so it could have been the same root cause and those of us bitching were all just using the best (alt) theme.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I got the same, but attributed it to a poor internet connection. I’ll have to retest and see it it persists.

Fake edit:

Real edit: We good.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So how does one do the whole beta thing?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Loving the SUPER BLACK, but I am getting some weird gray bar thing at the bottom of the screen while in threads.

It appears to be due to the bottom bookmark trying to slide off the screen when entering a thread and the block of space getting “stuck” and floating at the bottom. I can make a video if needed. XS if that’s any help. Seems to be limited to the OLED mode.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 3, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Warbird posted:

Loving the SUPER BLACK, but I am getting some weird gray bar thing at the bottom of the screen while in threads.

It appears to be due to the bottom bookmark trying to slide off the screen when entering a thread and the block of space getting “stuck” and floating at the bottom. I can make a video if needed. XS if that’s any help. Seems to be limited to the OLED mode.

And now it’s no longer happening. Didn’t restart the phone or anything, so who knows.

Edit - Seems to come and go randomly. Can't nail down a common thread.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 4, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Problem: OLED theme in a darkened room causes a reflection of my face to appear on the screen thus causing me to reevaluate my life choices. Please advise.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Would it be possible to add functionality for links to forum posts/threads to be opened in the app instead of the phone’s browser? It’d make sharing threads with fellow goons a bit easier.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

pokeyman posted:

It's technically possible, but one step involves getting a special .json file hosted somewhere on forums.somethingawful.com and I've so far been hesitant to ask anyone to do basically anything on the Forums proper in service of the app.

We do have some possibly helpful workaround though! If you copy the http URL, then switch to Awful, it should ask you whether you want to open the URL. And if you have the URL opened in Safari and editing the URL is somehow easier than copying it, you can prepend awful to the URL, e.g. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php… becomes awfulhttps://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php…

Do elements of user bios/profiles have specific URLs or the like? It might be possible to have someone upload the JSON via some method like that. Heck, it would be hacky as hell but you could put it in a post and use that. Spitballing here, so feel free to ignore.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Might be a side effect of all the bad memes.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It’s been “off” a bit since the OLED theme was added. Not enough for me to complain, but enough to notice. I need to do some testing to see if it’s theme dependent like last time or not.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Image uploading seems busted as of late. Not sure if it’s the app or the website’s doing though.

Edit: Also that preview loop bug seems to be getting more common lately as well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Don’t fix it, that’s hilarious

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Coming off of the shading bright images discussion, would it be possible to have spoilers in a grey or other dark color instead of white in the dark modes?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bug: Every time I use the app I want to eat a burger. Please advise.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Where did we fall on the “spoilers being dark gray instead of bright white in dark modes” item?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Truth be told it’s all just a Wordpress plugin gone horribly wrong.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

A minor note that some company policies prevent the usage of third party shortcuts on iOS. I’d say still do it as it seems pretty reliable, but be aware that may be a pain point down the line.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’ll let you know about Delta tomorrow afternoon. I’m 90% sure it doesn’t though, but I may as well double check. iirc, it’s locked down for instant messaging so they may just have the ports for iMessage and whatever android uses open.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Could we get a double OLED dark mode? I just want a blank rear end screen.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So what you’re saying is we need more goons to fly to ensure the cache is kept up to date.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’d be a “no” for American WiFi. Could have just been the network taking a poo poo as their own site didn’t really want to load.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bean posted:

I asked this in a totally unrelated thread but I wanted to bring it here because there it’s off topic

I’m on iOS. I can’t figure out how to post pictures in the app. Someone else posted a screen shot, oh it’s easy, tap here, but my Awful app looks nothing like his.

The current implementation tends to break/explode due to reasons beyond the app’s control. I believe some folks have shared a iOS Shortcut automation up thread you could leverage.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Love the new spoilers! The make night browsing much more bearable.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I don’t know if it’s been brought up before, but would it be feasible to enable the image embeds in Rap Sheets to work? I’d like to see the funny pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It would be nice to have a disable signatures option for the app.