Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Hey carry on then, I went after my next target on the pointless Objective-C eradication tour (AwfulSettings) and I suspect it'll make a bit of a mess of your OLED theme branch when you merge/rebase it in. I'm more than happy to help sort out any conflicts (including doing the merge or rebase for you :) ), just holler at me if I can be of assistance!

The man called M posted:

“Filter by tag is still broken.”
- Some Douche on the internet

Yeah :( always happy to +1 it for ya!

Warbird posted:

Life is good.

So about that pull to advance to next page feature....

No good?

jit bull transpile posted:

handoff should probably be off by default. my phone keeps trying to hand off sa threads to my work computer

That's a good call, kinda mad it didn't occur to me. I've always figured that if we add e.g. private message notifications that it'd be off by default, for the same reason.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

2. Is there any support for embedded mp4's from imgur in posts? I installed the app specifically because these common mp4 videos wouldn't embed on iOS Chrome like they do on Windows Chrome, but it was a vain attempt, the Awful app still doesn't embed them (although they do show up as links, which is a step up from iOS Chrome which shows them as non-interactive still images)

There is not, but I can add it to the to do list!

Crime on a Dime posted:

Feature request: allow uploading images as attachments to the forums post

I do think there's value in supporting this (despite the lovely ergonomics, the one-image-per-post limit, the inability to edit) because archived or goldmined posts should theoretically have their attachments intact, whereas anonymous Imgur uploads can disappear. Happy to +1 it on the list. But it's not super high on my priority list because Imgur uploads are a thing and they're better in every other way.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Anyone able to browse all the mp4s posted in some threads with the app?

I'm not sure I'm following you here. Would this be some kind of button you could press to scroll or swipe through all the mp4s linked/embedded in the thread? I've thought about augmenting the lil image viewer to show all the images in the selected post, but I hadn't considered extending it to the whole thread.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

thx for fixing spoilers

b_d posted:

I haven’t had any trouble clicking on quotes in a while. Did you fix that too? Thank you!

I'm glad they're fixed!

The_Doctor posted:

With imgur uploads still being iffy, I use the imgur app, and then copy the direct link to my posts. Could there be a [timg] tags option when you enter the [img] submenu to avoid having to go back and type the ‘t’ for every one?

Yeah, that's easy to add. (Doesn't mean it'll happen on any particular timeline, but it's a good idea!)

Also, are Imgur uploads still iffy? Hoping they're a lot better in the current version. Let me know if it's still busted.

MarcusSA posted:

I’d donate :10bux: for the app to have car play support and have Siri read the posts.

Tired of carpooling?

Subjunctive posted:

Make the UI look like attachments but instead produce huge data: URLs.

:barf:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553037&perpage=40&pagenumber=589#post492619354

I have achieved a heckin sorcery:

If you img tag an MP4, it will only play in the app. If you url tag an MP4, it will only play on Desktop.

So. I have tagged one as img, and the other as url.

Guess what?

Video appears ONLY ONCE, despite. So browse on mobile! Browse on the web! See the difference.

Can this process be made easier?

:popeye: :monocle: :eyepop:

I'll refrain from commenting on the process until I understand more about the process :D but yep I've got a to do item now to figure out mp4 videos from Imgur, however that might work.

Also thanks for showing how you managed it, and thanks Zenostein for the explanation of what's going on!

serious norman posted:

Love the app! A small issue though: It seems like previously stickied threads remains on the top (in Fyad at least) for some time. Not a big deal but can be confusing.

Yeah this can be a pain, sorry about that. It's on my list. It's a bit weird because there's three states – sticky, not-sticky, or Awful can't figure it out – and the last two are indistinguishable. At the time I think I leaned towards "well if we're not sure, don't change anything", but in hindsight it would be better to go the other way and just set a thread not-sticky if that's our guess.

I don't know if that makes any sense, and it doesn't help solve the problem, but I figure it's sometimes interesting hearing about why things are weird so there we go.

Stringent posted:

Something I've always loved, but basically just take for granted now is the posting flow. Sending ppl into the preview before posting was a genius design decision.

I like it too. We added a setting pretty early to turn it off, but I've always left it on. If I remember, I think we did it this way by default because a) gotta put the preview somewhere, and b) we were worried that shitposts would be even lower quality on a phone, so in an attempt to be a good citizen we figured Awful should show you your bullshit before you show it to everyone.

Subjunctive posted:

I never used alternate themes because I am pure of blood and mind, but I haven’t had spoiler issues in quite a while, other than the fact that I sometimes need to tap a few times. Maybe I am a very bad tapper, but maybe there’s a target location/size/pattern issue? I’m can’t explain any of it.

I run into some occasional spoiler issues (and only spoilers, not author headers or ⋯ action buttons) and I think it's because there's a weird lil dead zone between consecutive lines of spoilers. Also in general the hitbox is probably just too small. I'll make a note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

pokeyman posted:

I'm not sure I'm following you here. Would this be some kind of button you could press to scroll or swipe through all the mp4s linked/embedded in the thread? I've thought about augmenting the lil image viewer to show all the images in the selected post, but I hadn't considered extending it to the whole thread.

It was just a bump of my previous question that you also just quoted and answered the original of, where I had written it out more clearly. Thanks and good luck on embedding mp4s!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It was just a bump of my previous question that you also just quoted and answered the original of, where I had written it out more clearly. Thanks and good luck on embedding mp4s!

Ah right on. Thanks for clarifying.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you have the shake tweaks available, how do you cause an undo for the edit field?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

If you have the shake tweaks available, how do you cause an undo for the edit field?

No easy way, unfortunately. Definitely reconsidering the gesture to use for shaky-tweaks.

(Pair a keyboard and press command-z?)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Now that the crusade for fixed spoilers is complete, can I ask you to look into this little niggling issue one more time? I think it’s my only remaining issue with the app. You guys do awesome work!

Data Graham posted:

I saw someone else mention it, so +1 on that thing where when you’re scrolling down a thread, it will occasionally go into this weird state where it forces the view to slowly scroll upward while simultaneously moving the toolbar (with “scroll to end” and “parent forum”) into view. If you scroll manually while it’s doing this, the whole view shudders as it fights you.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pokeyman posted:

Hey carry on then, I went after my next target on the pointless Objective-C eradication tour (AwfulSettings) and I suspect it'll make a bit of a mess of your OLED theme branch when you merge/rebase it in. I'm more than happy to help sort out any conflicts (including doing the merge or rebase for you :) ), just holler at me if I can be of assistance!

No problem! I actually haven't touched the settings side of it much so it might actually go in pretty easily. Thanks for the heads up!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Just joshing you bud, it’s all good. I don’t know if you tweaked something or my dumb rear end is just adapting but I haven’t had a false advance in a bit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Warbird posted:

Just joshing you bud, it’s all good. I don’t know if you tweaked something or my dumb rear end is just adapting but I haven’t had a false advance in a bit.

Same. It actually seems to work as I remember it months ago.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Come to think of it, is the page advance tied to the CSS in a similar way that the spoilers were? If so it could have been the same root cause and those of us bitching were all just using the best (alt) theme.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

No easy way, unfortunately. Definitely reconsidering the gesture to use for shaky-tweaks.

(Pair a keyboard and press command-z?)

Or add an “undo typing” button to the list?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

As one of the prime bitchers about the pull-for-next-page thing, I haven't been using the app a ton, but when I have, I haven't had any issues with it lately.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

On that note, it's not exactly a crucial feature but I've been wondering about that indicator on the top of the bottom bar that would show how far down you are on a page. I imagined it as a thin blue (or otherwise thematically appropriate) bar that would either shrink towards the center or grow towards the sides from the center the closer you got to the bottom of a page.

It's just a small cosmetic thing but I'd find it helpful because the actual scrollbar is always either covered by my thumb as I scroll or otherwise kind of hard to see.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

Now that the crusade for fixed spoilers is complete, can I ask you to look into this little niggling issue one more time? I think it’s my only remaining issue with the app. You guys do awesome work!

Sure!

Warbird posted:

Not sure either, but I'll take it!

Warbird posted:

Come to think of it, is the page advance tied to the CSS in a similar way that the spoilers were? If so it could have been the same root cause and those of us bitching were all just using the best (alt) theme.

I don't think so. I have been fiddling with it a bit.

Subjunctive posted:

Or add an “undo typing” button to the list?

Touché.

Stare-Out posted:

On that note, it's not exactly a crucial feature but I've been wondering about that indicator on the top of the bottom bar that would show how far down you are on a page. I imagined it as a thin blue (or otherwise thematically appropriate) bar that would either shrink towards the center or grow towards the sides from the center the closer you got to the bottom of a page.

It's just a small cosmetic thing but I'd find it helpful because the actual scrollbar is always either covered by my thumb as I scroll or otherwise kind of hard to see.

Something to think about, I'm not sure I've ever seen it done in a way that struck me as tasteful. The theming sometimes doesn't help here, as it's pretty easy to end up with a dark posts background and a dark scroll indicator. But I don't know how much fixing that would help if it's under your thumb.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Wasn't there talk of using the dark Twitter embed on the dark theme? Just got blinded again and remembered

Also, in a similar vein, any update on the OLED theme?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

101 posted:

Wasn't there talk of using the dark Twitter embed on the dark theme? Just got blinded again and remembered

Also, in a similar vein, any update on the OLED theme?

It's coming eventually

here’s where I’m at so far, yes the top bar will become black too

carry on then fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 21, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

pokeyman posted:

Yeah, that's easy to add. (Doesn't mean it'll happen on any particular timeline, but it's a good idea!)

Also, are Imgur uploads still iffy? Hoping they're a lot better in the current version. Let me know if it's still busted.

Yeah, I got this just yesterday:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I got the same, but attributed it to a poor internet connection. I’ll have to retest and see it it persists.

Fake edit:

Real edit: We good.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Testing if I can reproduce something weird

dismas posted:

Huh okay

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

dismas posted:

Hi

See below!

Frog and Toad fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 21, 2019

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

So if you hit edit on a post, cancel out, and then try to write a new post, it goes back to editing the old post unless you cancel out of that again

This is easy for me to accidentally do if I try to quote my own post and hit edit by mistake.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dismas posted:

So if you hit edit on a post, cancel out, and then try to write a new post, it goes back to editing the old post unless you cancel out of that again

This is easy for me to accidentally do if I try to quote my own post and hit edit by mistake.

Yeah, I've noticed that but never remember to post here. Glad you did. I didn't know cancel out a 2nd time fixed it, I usually quickly exit and then re-enter the thread as that resets the edit window.

It's super annoying when you're in a live shitposting thread for things like football games.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

I lied: double cancel doesn’t fix it. Leaving the thread does

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

It's coming eventually

here’s where I’m at so far, yes the top bar will become black too

These look great!

I noticed the gradient is using a different blue to the alt theme which makes it look a bit out of place.

(same blue as current top bar on alt theme)

Another way to approach that could be to have it as a solid block of colour as a separator.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

spanky the dolphin posted:

These look great!

I noticed the gradient is using a different blue to the alt theme which makes it look a bit out of place.

(same blue as current top bar on alt theme)

Another way to approach that could be to have it as a solid block of colour as a separator.

I think the blue was meant to coordinate with the regular theme but I’m hacking this in as the alternate theme to get it working. Once I figure out how to better implement all these theme options things will look more coordinated

One thing I’m trying to figure out is a good way to indicate that a post is read that is evident no matter how large the post is without compromising the pure black appearance. The gradients which were from a mock-up The Dave(?) had posted work well for short posts but not long ones.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I did get around to taking the navbar black but it definitely has a few issues to figure out—the Parent Forum bar is supposed to have a bottom border that won’t show up

PS Imgur uploads are rock solid so far! Good job pokeyman!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

dismas posted:

It’s actually awesome because it makes it super easy to multi quote or quote something from a few pages back if your kept reading.

I love love the feature.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

One thing I’m trying to figure out is a good way to indicate that a post is read that is evident no matter how large the post is without compromising the pure black appearance. The gradients which were from a mock-up The Dave(?) had posted work well for short posts but not long ones.

Maybe a subtle edge accent colour on the left like this?

Or perhaps the divider lines could change colour to read / unread/ I reckon this is a pretty tidy soultion:

carry on then posted:

I did get around to taking the navbar black but it definitely has a few issues to figure out—the Parent Forum bar is supposed to have a bottom border that won’t show up

You could use the same design language you've used for quotes here? This is probably far more complicated than it seems. Just an idea:

e: Also, a simple UI improvement imo would be changing the 'joined dd/mm/yyyy' and post timestamp text in each post to a darker grey (like your current quote background colour.) The most prominent text should be the post itself and the posters name, this other info is secondary and noise for the most part. Here's a mockup:

Also includes an updated look for the platinum members icon, which I've uploaded here.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1R1lEoKaxT7qrw6jqOjsY6PZWpq250uCv?usp=sharing

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 22, 2019

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The quote/edit confusion thing is a lovely combination of weird forums functionality combined with app ambiguity that's half feature half bug and doesn't have any obvious One Right Way to do things. It's amazing. It also sucks incredibly if you're a mod, because if you go to quote someone, hit edit by mistake, and back out and then hit quote, and don't notice what's happened, you'll wind up erasing their post with your response.

On the other hand, this bug is actually a feature which makes multi-quoting and reply caching possible, and while Awful App knows whether it's about to send a reply or an edit it seems to trip up in reopening a cached edit when the user hits reply.

Possible ideas to consider for refining this feature;

• Blunt fix: don't cache edits?

• Do cache edits, but separately to replies? Don't know how feasible this is.

• Continue having only one cache, but if it's an edit, and the user hits reply or quote, discard it (possibly after confirming)?

• When cancelling out of the post compose form, offer user the choice of saving a draft or discarding?

• Change the current quote button to be "multi-quote" instead, with the same behaviour (append quote to active draft if one exists), and offer a new "quote" button that always opens a blank post with just the quote (possibly request user confirmation if any draft exists that would be discarded)?

• Add a toggle to disable the reply cache/multi-quote feature altogether? I know how much you all love toggles!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't save gifs

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Regular Nintendo posted:

I can't save gifs

What happens when you try?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If I long touch the gif it doesn't give me the image modal so I can't even try

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

dismas posted:

I don't think this is a bug really, but rather misleading ui. The reason is so you can quote multiple people on different pages without a hassle.

Perhaps there should be some visual indicator that you are in edit mode.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Regular Nintendo posted:

If I long touch the gif it doesn't give me the image modal so I can't even try

It works for me in the TestFlight version. I have a feeling the gif you’re trying to access might be an MP4 in disguise, which probably doesn’t work with the modal.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I got this just yesterday:

I’ve been having this problem regularly for at least two weeks, but it’s not entirely consistent and it doesn’t seem to be related to the file size. I’m on iPhone 8 using the most recent app version.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I just noticed in the last couple days that when the app is restored from memory with a thread open, the text size ends up larger than I have it set.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I think the webview re-init is somehow missing the JS that sets the sizing CSS.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

I just noticed in the last couple days that when the app is restored from memory with a thread open, the text size ends up larger than I have it set.

It knows you’re older than you were when you were reading last so it enlarges the text for your now-aged eyes.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Another update, another complaint about filter thread being broken.

Must be Sunday...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

awful app for iOS immediately crashes upon opening every time starting from this afternoon, anyone else have this start happening? Am I out of date? am i dying?