Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m guessing this is an iOS 11 bug but when I change the icon, it pops up a box saying I changed the icon, but does not actually change the icon. Hm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Two finger swipe up or down. TweetBot even has a light switch sound effect which is quite satisfying.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-quickly-toggle-night-mode-on-tweetbot-4/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My announcements are all confused. The goon meet one talks about the Olympics forum and vice versa.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There’s a missing thread icon in the Bitcoin, Forex, and Candles forum. Post is Ask/Tell about Sales.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did something change in the most recent update that would make my iPhone 12 mini use OLED dark theme instead of normal dark? It was quite a jarring change!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do you recall Apple had that big controversy about throttling iPhones that had diminished battery capacity? They actually did that to avoid the situation you described. If the phone battery is low-ish, and the processor requests too much power, it can shut down even though it’s not at 0%.

So maybe check if you have throttling disabled in Battery Health?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Not sure the app has any control over this, but if I play a video in a Twitter embed, then full screen it, then rotate my phone to landscape, the video stops playing and I get dropped back to non-full screen. This is quite annoying.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there anything I can click on in the YouTube embed to open the video in YouTube app? It’s easy to open the channel by clicking on the channel logo but clicking on the title doesn’t do anything.

I suppose this is not a common ask but basically sometimes I want to get videos into my watch history so I can watch them later, and the embedded ones don’t do that.

Turning off YouTube embeds entirely would work but now you can’t see the video subject at all without playing it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Awesome, didn’t think of long pressing! Works great.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Has anyone ever seen an issue where a bookmark has no unread count next to it? No idea how to reproduce it.

Edit: ah, on the website it looks different:

smackfu fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 14, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah yes, maybe I bookmarked a thread from the forum list for some reason instead of inside the thread.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is this join text supposed to look like this? Spacing seems a bit tight and the font a bit light.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

mrfart posted:

It uses dynamic text that you adjust in iOS settings>screen/brightness.
I’ve also turned my text a little bigger there, because a lot of these apps have tiny fonts, but the contrast here is pretty big. I could turn it smaller in iOS settings, but then the text apps fonts would be too small. Ah, the agony of doubt!

You can add a widget to control center to change the dynamic font size per app.

Given that, I still can’t find a good balance between the thread list font size and the post body font size. Thread list font size is too big if I set the post body font size to what I had it at before, which then means it shows less threads per page.

Edit: ah, I see. The titles are controlled by the dynamic type size and then the body text is controlled by the “adjust font size” setting.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 21, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks for releasing an update for us non-beta folks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

These menu items feels a bit cramped on my screen. Is it possible to make them taller?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You can long press to get a menu now that has remove on it. Not sure if that is new or not?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah I thought it was always super unreliable because of that. Lol

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Warbird posted:

Iirc it’s by most recent posts and you can toggle it to have threads with unread posts above ones that are fully read. Doesn’t always behave that way but I’m not super sure why/how that is.

The sorting by unread posts is done client side after the pagination which is server side so it can only apply within a single page.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sometimes it takes forever to open older pages in threads like the AI art one:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4000251&perpage=40&pagenumber=288&noseen=1

Like ten seconds to load the page if it’s not cached. Is this because they have a ton of images and Awful does something to load them first?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m seeing Twitter embeds being messed up but I awesome that is their fault.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It means there is an unread announcement, for the Halloween forum in this case.

You can turn it off if in the settings of your want.

Edit: oops I misunderstood what red thing you were talking about.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Grace Baiting posted:

Ignoring a user is comfy and easy to do!

Omg I can’t believe this was already there and I just had to tap on their username.

I think it’s tricky too because an ignored user has no profile pic or reg date.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Grace Baiting posted:

I thought the various cross-site link content embeds (in Discord and other sites + apps too) were from like Open Graph stuff? So mb hopefully that's an easier lift than it would be otherwise

I think a pain point is that you need to download every link to see if it has the opengraph meta tags. You can whitelist but Mastodon makes a mess of that since there are a thousand different servers.

I wonder if a HEAD call is enough to tell if it’s a Mastodon server.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Weird quirk, seems like I can’t make Goons with Spoons a favorite forum. There is no star next to it in the forum listing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Might have logged you out?