Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Not entirely sure what's going on with my PM Inbox. Swipe-to-delete doesn't work anymore, and it took a while to realize there was now an edit button at the top, but when I found that I could select the message to delete with the minus symbol, but tapping on delete made the delete button disappear but not the message.

iPhone 6 Plus, latest store-release version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

obstipator posted:

I’m unable to upload images for the telephone.

I get protocol error:

e: lol nvm. that pic uploaded fine

e2: i cant upload small pics 🤔🤔🤔

I'm getting this error every time I try to upload a picture of any size for about the last month or so.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Alfalfa posted:

Does the app crash for anyone else when trying to edit or even just open the sub-menus on the main page?

Anytime I click one of the forums to expand or edit it kicks me back to the home screen.

iOS 11.1.2
iPhone X

I can open the sub-forums just fine on my 6+. Guess that means you need to trade me phones :v:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Nude posted:

Maybe it could say something like GBS (100 goons) at the top when you are browsing each forum. Also maybe give an option to toggle it for people who don't want it.

I feel like this is completely unnecessary but if you add it please give us an option to turn it off. Just my $.02 :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Is there a fix on the way for favorited smilies never actually staying in the favorites list on the keyboard?

(iPhone X, newest store release- but I think it's been that way for a while)

Edit: and +1 to a hopeful fix for not being able to select a bookmarked thread after deleting one from the list without force-quitting the app, too :angel:

Referee fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 30, 2018

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

With the most recently-released version, it appears that thread titles in the bookmarks list being grayed out if the thread is closed is not working.

Any chance of that returning?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Stare-Out posted:

Bookmarks flash white in dark mode when you open them, is this an intended thing? Nothing against it, just checking that it's working as it should be.

Yeah, noticed this as a new thing in this version too.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

The buy-sell-trade tags in SA-Mart no longer appear on the icons on the latest released version.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

shortspecialbus posted:

About the scrolling and accidentally loading the next page thing, what the Android app does is allow you to set the percentage of the screen you need to scroll. I bumped it up a bit slightly from the default and no longer get accidental new pages in that one. The ios app seems to be around 10-15 percent maybe, or at least whatever it is for me is rather low so I accidentally go to the next page a lot. Maybe make that configurable perhaps?

This would be great.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Diabolik900 posted:

I agree that it's way too sensitive currently. I trigger it accidentally a lot myself. And I'm not philosophically opposed to ever adding settings, but you have to be careful because every new setting adds more complexity both for the users and the developers, and this specific issue can be solved without adding a setting by just playing with the sensitivity until it feels right. It would be different if there was a lot of disagreement about how sensitive it should be, but everyone pretty much seems to agree that the current version is too sensitive.

I didn't notice the hyper-sensitivity as much until I switched to my X so I dunno if it's more sensitive depending on device, but anecdotally for me, that was the case.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Hoping to +1 two items on the fixlog:

- Buy/sell/trade tags in SA-Mart being re-added (it's really hard to browse without it)

- Graying out thread titles for closed threads

Thank you!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

iajanus posted:

God I hate the "scroll to top of page" behaviour; I gently caress that up regularly in lots of random apps.

Yeah, me too. Tweetbot is a habitual offender for me.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Buy/sell/trade tags work again! Thank you, you're the best! :hfive:

Edit: And closed thread titles are grayed out again too! Even better!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

kimbo305 posted:

I'm cool with that -- like maybe 25% of screen height, instead of what it is now?

Yes please.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I'm having an issue in the latest released version where if I start playing a YouTube link in-app I can't get back out to the regular reader view without killing the app and restarting (iPhone X)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Mr. Fix It posted:

Same thing with spoiler text not revealing on my X, iOS 12.1

Force-closing the app fixed this for me on my X when this happened yesterday, FYI.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

This is a bit of a stretch and it’s totally ok to pass on it, but if you (or anyone else getting this issue frequently) are up for it: would you mind recording your screen from when you launch Awful through to being unable to tap spoilers? Maybe I’ll spot something if I can see what’s going on. Feel free to PM me a link to the video if you don’t wanna post it in the thread.

What’s the best way to record the screen? Is there a specific app? Or am I dumb and there’s a simple way?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Okay, I’m ready for the spoiler text bug to be fixed now.

(Totally kidding, I know y’all are working on it but +1’ing it on the list anyway!)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

No idea when it'll get implemented, but I'm
I'm still trying to figure out how to replicate this, and I'm still coming up empty, but I haven't forgotten about it!

If you manage to get a recording of it, PM me a link (or PM me for an email address to send to if that's easier).

I can’t get a recording of this when it’s happening and don’t seem to have a consistent fix (beyond rebooting the phone which fixes it ~80% of the time) but I strongly suspect it has something to do with returning to the app after a while when the app has kicked it from active memory. That re-load seems to be triggering the inability to click spoilers or the user menu for me.

Edit: Getting the app to re-load the same page seems to be toggling my ability to read spoilers/tap the user menu in both directions.

Referee fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 3, 2018

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Data Graham posted:

I saw someone else mention it, so +1 on that thing where when you’re scrolling down a thread, it will occasionally go into this weird state where it forces the view to slowly scroll upward while simultaneously moving the toolbar (with “scroll to end” and “parent forum”) into view. If you scroll manually while it’s doing this, the whole view shudders as it fights you.

Yeah, I’m getting this too.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

For 2019 I wish for fixed spoiler tags ;)
Thanks for all the work in 2018

Same, and same!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

heeheex2 posted:

thanks for fixing the preview/post bug

i can’t tap on people’s usernames or spoilers a lot of the time now though. on iphone 8 plus ios 12.1.1

Yeah, I know I’ve +1’d this a bunch but I would love to +1 it again, especially because force-closing the app does NOT always fix the problem on my iPhone X. (I’d say that works about 40% of the time for me now.)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Endless Mike posted:

They still come and go for me on my X. I wish I could offer more useful information for you.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

jokes posted:

Same, on iPhone 8. Spoilers are completely non-functional even after force closing. I restarted the phone and that seemed to work but when I loaded the next page it was broken again.

Semi-monthly +1 towards investigating the spoiler issue more, please. Thanks :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

MarcusSA posted:

I’m not gonna lie spoilers are loving annoying anyway (the tags in threads). I feel like they are way over used.

They are, but it’s way more annoying when you can’t read behind them :(

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

Still pondering. Might be time for the good ol' "turn everything off, then turn things back on one by one".

My uneducated suggestion would be to roll back to the version before the one that started the issue and re-add everything else, but I have no idea how big of a pain in the rear end that is (I assume a large one :( )

Edit: whatever beta was released on 11/9/18, by a quick perusal of this thread, seems to have been the start of the issue if that’s helpful?

Referee fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 8, 2019

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

People with issues tapping spoilers/action buttons/post author headers: do you have "Alternate App Theme" enabled in Settings? What happens if you turn that off?

It is helpful! But I think that might just be the oldest build still available on the beta? Builds expire after 90 days.

I did have that turned on, yes. I’ll leave it off for a few days and see if spoilers stay working. :)

Edit: I’m going to feel real dumb if that was the solution because I should have tried that myself. I do like the alternate theme a lot, though. Hopefully we can get that working for spoilers if that’s the issue :)

Referee fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 8, 2019

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

I got real excited and wanted people to test what I found, but don’t worry: a fix for the alternate theme will be in the next version (not the one that just came out today).

It explains a lot of the spoilers issue, but seemingly not all of it. Should make a big difference at lest.

Here’s hoping :toot:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Happy to report NO issues with spoilers since I switched off the alternate theme. So glad you offered that suggestion! :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

App Review's on fire this week.

No kidding. Back to Alternate mode for me. Let’s see if this works.

Edit: Looks good so far!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Now that the crusade for fixed spoilers is complete, can I ask you to look into this little niggling issue one more time? I think it’s my only remaining issue with the app. You guys do awesome work!

Data Graham posted:

I saw someone else mention it, so +1 on that thing where when you’re scrolling down a thread, it will occasionally go into this weird state where it forces the view to slowly scroll upward while simultaneously moving the toolbar (with “scroll to end” and “parent forum”) into view. If you scroll manually while it’s doing this, the whole view shudders as it fights you.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Testing out the new theme, the BBCode closer in the top-right of the keyboard doesn’t seem to function correctly.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

spanky the dolphin posted:

I've made a mock up of a few tweaks I think would make the OLED theme look even better:

The Platinum-Member and Quote-Clean icons are in here.

Dimming these 2 icons plus the Joined and Post Time/Date text to the value of #666666 (40% brightness) seems to knock them back a bit while still leaving them legible enough against black and the quote grey. These are secondary to the poster name and post content so fading them off a bit will make each post a bit easier to parse which should lead to a nicer user experience.

Also blackened the bottom nav but that's already in the works it seems.

I like this look a lot.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

bronin posted:

Holy poo poo yep that’s definitely new. Don’t think it’s intended though?

Yeah, running into this and am not a fan :(

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

Do you find yourself zooming by accident? I don't mind adding a setting if people find it annoying.

I have on occasion and wouldn’t mind a setting for it. But if it’s too difficult I can certainly deal with it. :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Testing something, please ignore

Referee fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 23, 2019

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That new grenade logo beside usernames is some rear end.
Would be great to be able to toggle it off.

I wasn’t gonna phrase it quite like that, but yeah...I’m not a fan.

The hamburger icon, on the other hand, I’m good with.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

New plat icon is much better in dark mode, thank you!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

MarcusSA posted:

I think Alaskan does something with T-Mobile for texting or something.

Can confirm, my fiancée is on an Alaska flight right now texting me with her free T-Mo text stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Warbird posted:

Love the new spoilers! The make night browsing much more bearable.

Agreed, I didn’t know I wanted these until I got the update.

Can I please +1 a fix for this? Hadn’t noticed this one until today:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Does anyone else have issues using trying to jump to the last post when you look at a user's post history in a thread? Whenever I pick it in the page menu it jumps me to the last page of the entire thread. Selecting any other page is fine.