Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Let try and impress Sister Geri and show her the result of all the training she gave us and Bash them with your fists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
There are a number of ways past the Skeletons. 70 Magic is required for the Magic option IIRC. Option 1 (Swords) will give free Blades (if Blades are over 40, otherwise we get an injury), but is ineffective because it's Skeletons. Arrows are straight up ineffective, as is asking our companions to handle things instead of getting started ourselves. They didn't want to come here in the first place, if you recall. A 70 Good Priest or Cleric can repel the undead- Petra works for this if she's here with 80 Relations (she can also point out the corridor here if asked due to her own Religion Skills). A 70 Evil Priest can control the Skeletons instead of repelling them- this will give you a Petra Relations hit if she's here but Jess has the opposite reaction, recognizing the power displayed.

Unarmed works, but I forget the Skill level required. Probably more than what Renata has (I welcome corrections if anyone knows).

Finally, the last resort if all else fails is to bring a Lute. That can destroy the Skeletons for free, if you don't mind smashing a perfectly good instrument. My Bard character Alicia had to attend Bard College without a Lute after losing hers here. I think she fell back on vocals and piano per her namesake.

Using Magic, after we show off the free option...

Smash Undead! posted:

-Allow your companions to deal with them.

You look at your companions, then the Skeletons, then back again.

It is clear that your Party Members want nothing to do with the Skeletons. They didn't want to go down the corridor to this Temple in the first place. They stand back and wait to see what you intend to do.

-Cast a spell and throw ice bolts at the skeletons.

You summon the Magic and feel the power grow. Small flakes of snow appear around your hand as the temperature around you drops. A ball of ice forms in your hand and shoots forth. The solid impact shatters one of the Skeletons into a cloud of bone chips. With the success of your attack, your companions step forward and join you. Theo's large warhammer is the ideal weapon for such an encounter and the Fighter makes short work of the remaining Skeletons- the first wave anyway.

A second wave of Skeletons emerges from the Temple's shadows after the first wave is destroyed. You and Theo at once go to work on them, he with his hammer and you with more ice bolts. Sister Geri joins in with her fists, her maxed Unarmed Skills easily allowing her to shatter bone with well-placed blows and throw some Skeletons into others using judo moves.

Jess contributes a few Soulburn-fueled Magic Missiles and an eye beam that destroys a particularly large Skeleton. She pauses to rest after vaporizing that Skeleton turns another streak of her hair white. You do not complain, by now you know that using high-powered Magic risks shortening Jess's lifespan. Gale and Karla hang back, having noticed their shortswords and Archery were ineffective against the first wave of Skeletons.

You take a breath after the second wave of Skeletons is smashed. Practicing with your Magic here has increased its power. (Magic +3)

- "Good workout, Renata! That was fun."

- "Agreed. I still have some Skills of my youth."

"You okay, Jess?"

- "I'm fine!"

You look around the Temple of Shadi. No further waves of Skeletons emerge.

The platform with the pedestal sits silently in front of you. The folded black cloth on the pedestal looks to be a Cloak of some kind.

Gale stops you as you approach the platform.

- "Probably should check that for traps, Renata. My Thief sense is tingling."

1. Search the platform for traps.

2. Ask Gale to search the platform for traps.

3.Take the Cloak.

Well, searching for traps is free, but we should probably have a real Thief double check. Good thing we have 80 Relations with one! The Trap requires 60 Devices to disarm, meaning you want a Thief or Assassin who's been practicing with Lockpicks. Bards won't have Devices high enough. Resisting the Poison if Gale's not here requires 45 Endurance, so we might not have been able to get that even if we hadn't been riding Lump. You can also have the Skeletons trigger the traps harmlessly for you if you are a 90 Evil Priest.

Check for Traps posted:

- Search the platform for traps.

You carefully step forward and search the platform. There don't appear to be any traps or triggers attached to the platform.

(Devices +3)

- Ask Gale to search the platform for traps. "Hey Gale, I'm unsure if I'm doing this right. Can you double-check for traps please?"

- "Okay."

Gale walks to your side and examines the pedestal.

- "Oh, there are a few here. Ouch, you can bet these darts are poisonous."

Watching Gale allows you to observe a few tricks of her trade. You doubt you'll ever have the Skill to use Devices at her level, but extra points are nice. (Devices +3)

You see Gale removing several darts and wires from various stone slabs around the platform. There is a sudden click and Gale jumps to the ground, thinking it's another trap. Instead, to your surprise, you watch as the pedestal shoots upward from the ground, carrying the Cloak with it! You can see it high above you and very far out of reach.

Gale gets to her feet and sighs.

- "Sorry. I guess I missed that one."

You examine the pedestal again and notice a rough series of handholds and footholds carved into its sides. They decline in number and weave about the pedestal as they ascend.

"Can you climb up there and get the Cloak for me?" you ask Gale.

- "Not sure. I haven't bought a Thief Harness and Rope may not be enough to supplement my Agility here. I've always been more Charming than Agile. Besides, you want that Cloak, right? If I get it, I'm keeping it."

Theo calls out to Gale just then.

- "Hey, Gale, I found a chest over here in the corner. It's locked!"

- "That's my cue."

Gale draws her Lockpicks and walks over to the chest. Theo walks to your side.

- "Let me try something."

Theo slams the side of the pedestal with his hammer several times, but his mighty blows are not enough to knock the Cloak off the pedestal. It slides to the edge, but does not slip off. Theo pauses to rest.

- "Maybe a few more."

"You've done enough," you tell him. "Let someone else take over."

- "Okay."

You look at the pedestal again. You might be able to climb the sides, aided by your Rope. It is not certain however, whether falling at a certain height might injure you.

Karla is also examining the pedestal, her Bow ready in case of a third wave of Skeletons. Her arrows were just a distraction to the bony undead earlier, but they at least kept her out of trouble.

- "Hmm..."

- "Chest open! Wow, lots of Gold and Gems in here! Hey, Renata. The Cloak's your share and these are ours, okay?"

Everyone else nods and you bow to the majority, only realizing after doing so you don't actually have the Cloak yet.

1. Climb the newly risen pedestal and get the Cloak.

2. Ask, "Karla, do you think you could knock it off with an arrow?"

3. Leave the Cloak on the pedestal and give up.

There is no reward from this encounter other than the Cloak and potential Skill bonuses. I will reveal the Cloak's Artifact properties next update. If you want to risk climbing the pedestal (I don't recall the Agility required or whether the Rope helps, Thief Harness does), pick Option 1. If you don't want to risk injury (I'm not sure whether we can avoid it here, falling to 0 Health means no Cloak), asking Karla to help is a sure thing with our 80+ Relations. We could also shoot the Cloak off ourselves with a Bow and sufficient Archery. The Demon Zon'ch is also helpful here if we're a Demon Summoner with 40 Willpower. (50 Willpower means Brahl can beat up the Skeletons for us too.) There is no option to cast Gust of Wind unfortunately.

I'll proceed with the majority vote around 1700 CST.

Stats

Stats posted:

Stats

Renata, the Druid

Health: 100%

Specialized Training: 1 Monk level, 1 Druid level.

INVENTORY
- a Pouch on your belt containing 294 Gold Pieces (GP)
- an expensive Spellbook in a special holster
- a Sword on your belt
- a Dagger in your sleeve

A Backpack containing:
- a black Runebag with 4 glowing Demon Stones and 1 unglowing Demon Stone in it.
- a Rope.
- a water skin.
- flint and steel.
- a sleeping roll.

You are wearing:
- your clothes
- the bone Necklace of Nature around your neck (+20 Bonus to Nature)
- the Gem of Seeing in your pocket (+20 Perception)
- your family signet ring, on a chain, around your neck (+3 to All)

Animal Companions, Pets, and Familiars- None.
Mounts- You are riding Lump, a stubborn Mule.

MORALITY:
Good: 51% Evil: 49%

ABILITIES:
Agility: 33%
Charm: 49%
Endurance: 23%
Perception: 65%
Strength: 26%
Willpower: 23%

SKILLS:
Archery: 3%
Devices: 9%
Magic: 91%

Blades: 3%
Stealth: 26%
Unarmed: 36%

KNOWLEDGE:
Arcana: 71%
Geography: 46%
History: 66%
Nature: 76%
Religion: 68%

RELATIONSHIPS:
Gale, friendly Rogue 99%
Sister Geri, our Mentor 107%
Karla, Archer friend 93%
Theo, barbarian warrior, love interest 131%
Jess, Soulburner Wizard ally 55%

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ask karla

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ask Karla, let's make this a team effort.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We have chosen the safe option. If anyone knows the stats required for success at climbing the pillar with the Cloak, or the consequences for failure, I welcome you to post them. It's 20 Health damage for failing to defend yourself against the Skeletons, 40 if you Endure the poison dart trap (not Enduring or Disarming the trap is instant 0 Health).

Let's get that Cloak!

Karla's Money Shot posted:

-"Karla, do you think you could knock that Cloak off the pillar with an arrow?"

Your quiet friend doesn't reply with words. Instead, she draws her Bow and nocks a single arrow. She pulls the string back and waits with full tension on the Bow. After a moment, she releases the arrow on her string. It soars directly up and snags the cloth into the air. The weight of the Cloak and arrow makes the Cloak drop to the ground a few feet away from you on the ground beside the pillar. The best part is, the arrow didn't even pierce the Magic Cloak.

Karla smiles at you as she lowers her Bow, glad she had your confidence. (Karla Relationship +3) She then moves to take a share from the Chest of Gold & Gems your Party claimed while you try your new Cloak on.

The Cloak feels very light and almost silky. It is clearly waterproof and feels cool when it's hot, yet warm when it's cold. The images of white spiders have been embroidered all along its hem. You can sense that it's not Evil, in and of itself, but could be used for Good or Evil purposes. The nature of the Magic Cloak is not readily apparent, which makes such an Artifact very interesting to own.

Your Party members congratulate you on gaining your new Magical Artifact. You thank them for their help.

(Gained the Cloak of Spiders,
Artificer Achievement Progress 100%, confirmed via message at this point in iPhone version but not in Steam version of game.)

The Cloak of Spiders is an Artifact with no Stat bonuses, but it does provide unique Options in certain situations, including the Final Boss Battle of LH1. It also lowers the difficulty of all Climbing Checks in both LH2 and LH3 at a greater amount than a Thief Harness (I'm not sure if it has cumulative effects with the Thief Harness and/or Rope). It's probably my favorite Artifact in LH1 because it's cool and it usually takes a team effort to acquire if you can't get past every obstacle on your own. The Magical Shield, if we had gotten it, provides similar benefits (no Stat bonuses, just a successful block Option to avoid all avoidable enemy attacks in a Choice where we must do that).

Journey Progress posted:

You turn around and exit the Temple, to the collective sighs of relief from your companions. Once you get back down the corridor, you retrieve the Mounts you left tied up next to the mural that pointed the way to the Temple. They have been patiently waiting for your return and also seem relieved as you lead them on through the caves.

You continue to travel with the others, leaving the sculptures and carvings behind you in the darkness. The blinding light of the main tunnel's exit erupts suddenly as you come around a corner. The fresh air and sounds of animals raise everyone's spirits. Theo rushes ahead of the group to get out of the darkness of the mountain tunnel. Although everyone is squinting in the bright spring sunlight, they're also smiling as they look up into the blue sky, happy to be out from under the mountain.

- "Finally!"

- "Sorry about that side trip, everyone. Tell you what, all food and drinks are on me while we're in Vernex."

- "Deal. I'll take over if I need to, I'm sorry I conned Renata out of a share from that Chest. The Cloak is a worthy substitute, right?"

You shrug. "I hope so. I do think it looks good on me."

- "I think it does too. I am familiar with items like that Cloak. It should aid your climbing abilities. It also may contain Web Magic if you can unlock it. I'll cover any food costs in Vernex that Karla or Gale can't."

You thank Sister Geri for describing your new Cloak's properties. Theo, Gale, and Karla agree it looks good on you. Jess does not share her opinion.

- "Let's get going, okay, everyone?"

You nod and the Party gets on their Mounts, then proceeds.

The path onward is much easier on this side of the Norgan Mountains. The signs of spring are even more pronounced as you walk. Many of the Villages and Towns across the land would be holding their Spring Festivals about now. You see the houses of one of these small Villages in a valley below you as your road meanders northward. The happy sounds of festivity drift up to your ears as you pass.

- "That Village is not far from our path."

- "Yes.
We should stop here for fresh supplies."

- "Agreed. I'm tired of dried meat and stale biscuits. Some fresh vegetables and fruit would be good to have."

Gale chuckles at the big Warrior.

- "Fruit and vegetables? I thought you only ate meat?"

Theo answers her with a grin.

- "Ale is made from plants too. I like ale."

Jess shrugs when you look at her for an opinion.

- "Get supplies in the Village if you want. I'll stay by the road and watch our Mounts."

All your friends then look at you for a final decision.

1. Say, "A short stop shouldn't slow us down too much. Let's see what they have."

2. Say, "We don't have the time. The dried rations will have to do. We'll get fresh greens when we reach Vernex."

Please let me know if you are interested in making this final rest stop near the end of our journey to the enemy base at Vernex. There are unique stat bonuses possible if we do make it. I'll tally votes and proceed with the majority late tonight.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 26, 2017

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Make like Bourdain on The Layover.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Make a stop.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, I don't think there's any benefit to not making a stop either. Never tried it.

Making a Stop posted:

There is some discussion, then you head down into the village. By that time, Jess has changed her mind and agreed to come along but still watch the Mounts while others relax or shop.

The road down into the valley is hard-packed dirt, as most Small Village roads are. An hour later and you find yourself standing on the main street. The houses are all decorated with fresh blossoms and ribbons, as is a tall pole in the town's center. A band of musicians is playing and many of the villagers are dancing.

Karla points at one of the buildings.

- "That looks like a general store and it seems like the proprietor hasn't closed up shop yet. I can buy what we need if the rest of you want to relax at the festival. We can meet back here in an hour."

- "I'll help you. Spring celebrations are for the young. My old bones probably couldn't keep up with that fast-paced music."

You know that it isn't true. Sister Geri is indeed old, but she is in excellent shape. Jess and Gale agree and vanish into the crowd, leaving you alone with Theo.

You look at the Village Spring Festival for a second, then back at Theo, then towards your friends who headed for the store, then back at Theo again. He is watching the festival with a strange expression, as though he's not entirely familiar with what's going on.

- "..."

1. Ask Theo, "Would you like to dance?"

2. Watch the dancers.

3. Say, "I better help with the supplies."

I'll be back around 1700 CST.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Dance. :dance:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

dance party!

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Everyone likes to see a good barbarian dance. Shall we, Theo?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I was going to wait, but we have a good majority already, so...

Wanna Dance? posted:

Theo smiles at your suggestion and you soon find yourself amongst the villagers, twirling and laughing like everyone else. Theo spins you about with such vigour that several of the villagers have to step aside.

At the end of the song a short fat man steps in front of the band with his arms outstretched. Everyone stops to listen to him, making you suspect that he is the Village's Mayor.

- "At this time I would like to invite couples to step forward for the Alban Eilir blessing. And for those of us who have lost the loves of our lives, we will remember our dear departed."

Your Religion Knowledge informs you that the Mayor is invoking a ceremony to Phillia, a Good Goddess of Love and Springtime worshipped throughout the rural Villages of Daria. Each springtime, her clergy performs such ceremonies to honor the love enjoyed by their congregations and use its energy to fuel the land for spring planting. Observing such a display would increase your Religion Knowledge, and enjoying it with a lover would grant you Phillia's Blessings in other ways. There are also stories of Thieves profiting from such ceremonies by stealing the golden wedding bands those with departed lovers who take part use to honor those they have lost.

You witness the villagers stop their dancing and group around you. Two Priestesses of Phillia stand by the Maypole, chanting invocations.

All of the couples in the Village gather in the square. Young or old, married or courting…all are welcome. The fat mayor, and the other widows and widowers of the village, come forward and place their golden wedding bands onto a sheet of black cloth under the decorated pole. Once the last ring is placed on the sheet, the Priestesses of Phillia fold it once and step away. They raise their voices in blessing, calling out to the goddess of Love, Beauty, and Fertility.

Various strange ideas occur to you. Theo looks down at you with a smile as the ceremony takes place. You notice several couples near you staring into one another's eyes. No one is looking at the rings under the black cloth- those who placed them have their eyes closed to honor the departed while the Priestesses perform their ceremony and the lovers around you concentrate on showing their affection for each other.

1. You pull Theo into the square and hold him close.

2. You stand where you are and watch the display.

3. You separate yourself from Theo and try to steal the rings on your own.

4. Whisper to Theo, "Help me take those rings."

Option 4 is a guaranteed success, but only if you killed Master Jett earlier, so I'd advise against it unless you want to see what happens (we didn't kill Jett this run, if you recall). There are bonuses possible with the other options, same for #2 as if you watched the display earlier I think. I've never tried #3. Princess Liza was tempted, but she was too into Gale both times she was here. ;) Every other would-be Ring Thief I've played succeeded with #4.

I'll advance around 1730, if there's a good majority and I have the time. Tomorrow otherwise.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Pull Theo close.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Pulling Theo Close posted:

Theo blushes, not used to the tender side of such relationships. Despite this, the big warrior holds you tightly as the Priestesses chant and young children throw flower petals onto the gathered lovers.
(Theo Relationship +10, Religion +3, and Charm +3)

You hear a voice speaking in your mind as you and Theo embrace.

- "Hello, Princess Renata. I am Phillia, and this is my ceremony. Like another God obstensibly on the opposite side of our usual conflicts, I am your ally. Be not afraid."

You shiver at the Goddess's attention. "What do you want of me?"

- "To let you know I approve of your decision to love, and Theo's. I wish that you not be seperated or blocked from conceiving a child in the future. Another Heir will be needed to rule Daria after you are gone."

"But I don't even rule Daria now."

- "In the future you will. The realm's current situation is worrisome but temporary. I warn you so that you may have reason not to make the wrong decision by mistake. Treasure your love with Theo. Do not seperate from him unless you have great need."

Before you can ask for detail, the voice is gone. Theo is staring at you.

- "Something the matter, Renata?"

"No," you answer after a moment. "Nothing at all."

You take Theo over to a redbud tree on the edge of the town square and make out with him for a while underneath it. Several Village couples are doing the same thing nearby.

Karla finds you there sometime later and gives you a smirk.

- "Hey you two, I need some help packing the supplies."

There is no hint of jealousy in her tone, merely amusement. You and Theo smile at the Archer and then head back with her towards the Village's general store.

Ali Hillis voiced the cameo of Phillia, who's only mentioned here in canon Lost Heir text. I hope she shows up again in the open world game Hero of Daria that Lucid's working on. Love Goddesses are always interesting to me for some reason. Whether or not we follow her advice is up to our choice, of course.

The reward for stealing from the ceremony is 250 GP IIRC. Your lover will spurn you if you try to do it with them and didn't kill Master Jett earlier (as the success text for a joint theft mentions- maybe in a second run we can show that off), then you will fail. I think the same Religion bonus but not the Charm or Lover Relations comes from watching the ceremony's display (but maybe you get a lower Lover Relations award if you dance then watch, I did that with Petra once but it's been a while).

Concluding the Journey posted:

The hour goes by quickly and you are soon joined by the others as you continue your trip north.

It takes another week before you arrive in Vernex. You can see the fabled city sitting like a jewel on the lake in front of you. Tall spires and grand towers sprout haphazardly from the city.

You discuss the city's odd atmosphere with your party as you walk its streets.

"So this is Vernex, home to the Consortium of Planewalkers. It's smaller than I expected."

- "Duke Bandar was forced to move his capital here two years ago. It's become the largest city in the Duchy. Every other significant settlement has declined as the Consortium grows in power."

- "The Consortium's island seems the only structure of any prominence. Much like the city that surrounds the Academy of Wizards."

- "So we're going into the fortress on that island, right? What was it anyway, before the Consortium came?"

"A Som'Reth Ruin of some kind," you recall from Harmond's lectures and what you have read. "The Consortium renovated and expanded it using Summoned Demon labor. They operate a headquarters and a university that teaches Demon Summoning there to this day."

- "This is the southern central part of Bandar, some distance from the homes of my people in the Norgan Mountains. It's not an area we visit that frequently."

- "I was expecting to see Demons on the streets."

- "The law requires the Consortium confine Demons to their complex. And in any case, most Summoners cannot usually keep their creatures for long on this Plane."

She holds up a hand and halts the party as you approach the harbor.

- "Everyone, listen to me. We are going into hostile territory. Be on your guard and try not to attract attention while we learn what we must. If we do have to fight Demon Summoners, remember a few things. No matter how fearsome a Demon seems, it is only on this Plane because its Summoner commands it to be. Few Demons want to be here, and the Summoner is often more vulnerable than they are. Work together, guard each other, and we can defeat them if it is not an overwhelming force."

"If anyone asks," you add, "we're here to sell the unregistered Demon Stone we found in the Som'Reth Ruins. I hope they'll give us a good price for it."

- "Should we sell it, though? If there's a powerful Demon linked to the Stone..."

"It'll get us inside their compound. That's what matters."

- "The vote that Caravan mentioned might get us in too. I wonder if we've arrived in time to hear about its results or stop it before it takes place."

You shrug, then walk on with your companions towards the harbor which surrounds the lake in the center of Vernex. The Consortium's complex stands on an island in the lake some distance from shore. Rower ships used as ferries move between the island and the harbor.

A long queue of travellers line up to speak to the Guards who control the harbor. Judging from their tired looks, it's clear that they've been waiting a long time. With no other option, you get in line like all of the others. Hours pass as you slowly shuffle along. You watch as the vast majority of those ahead of you are turned away. Those you heard speak seemed interested in visiting the Consortium's compound for a variety of reasons- curiosity about Demon Summoning, desire to speak to a Duke or a member of the Consortium of Planewalkers, and other things. The Guards turned away all those without a good story or sufficient coin.

Eventually, you find yourself speaking to the Guards. There are a dozen of them and they are all wearing Consortium runebags and swords on their hips. One of them looks at you with tired eyes.

- "State your business."

1. Say, "I have an unregistered Demonstone to sell."

2. Say, "My business is my own, now step aside."

3. Say, "I'm here for the vote."

Option 3 was given to us by stopping to question the Caravan earlier.

Option 3 posted:

The Guard looks at you and then draws a list of names from his papers.

Guard- "And which Duke are you with?"

1. "Duke Uddo."

2. "Duke Eddan."

3. "Duke Bandar."

4. "Duchess Selina of Dumain."

5. "I'm not with any of them."

The wrong answer for Option 3's subchoice boots us back to the previous Choice minus one option.

This Choice's best option has been a good source of debate for me in many playthrus. I'll leave voters with it until tomorrow. See you then.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Have a stone to sell, that's why we went trough that adventure after all.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Nobody wants to mess around with the wrong answers? Oh well, I guess people knew already. I personally answered correctly the first time myself. In later playthrus, I messed with the other answers to the previous choice, trying to see if there was another way in once I knew what was coming next. I've never found a way. :(

Vernex Customs posted:

-"I have an unregistered Demon Stone to sell," you tell the Guard. He shuffles his papers.

You take out the Demon Stone with the name Tyborr written across it, watching as it flickers a bunch of rainbow colours. The Guard perks up at the sight of it.

- "Been pilfering a Som'Reth ruin, have you?"

He reads the Stone's runes and writes the name onto a form. A few minutes pass as he fills in the administrative details. When he's done, he hands you the completed form.

- "You have access to the compound. Unfortunately, you can't go today. All normal business is on hold while the Dukes are here."

You sense an opportunity and try to Charm the Guard.

- Say, "But if I had arrived a few weeks ago, I'd already be in there. Surely you can let me pass."

- "No, sorry, rules are rules." (Needed 55 Charm, we had 52)

Other strategies occur to you. Only the one Guard is paying you a lot of attention now- his comrades have moved on to other people in line. You and your Party might say ok, step out of line, and then try to sneak past this one Guard- a big crowd of would-be tourists is a bit behind you in line. That crowd could work as cover.

You could also try bribery- it usually works. It might take a bit of Gold, though, Gold you'd want to spend later. And there might not be an opportunity to haggle with the Guard your Charm can pass- you've already missed the first.

But maybe there's another bribe possible besides Gold. The Guard has a Consortium Runebag at his belt and seemed eager about your unregistered Demon Stone. You can't bribe him with it- selling it inside the Consortium's HQ was the whole point of coming here. Attempting a bribe with Zusak's special un-glowing Demon Stone doesn't seem like a good idea either. The Guard would either recognize it for what it was and give it to his boss, or think it a dud and deny you entry. But you have three other Demon Stones you have no intention of ever using. They're damaged and registered to Zusak, but the Guard has no apparent way of knowing either of these things. He may be interested in one of the Demons inside the Stones- or not.

The Guard looks at you expectantly. Your friends shift behind you in line. There is a station to rest and check in Mounts for boarding on the other side of the Guards' checkpoint and some of your Party are eager to get to it.

- "Something else, Miss? Otherwise, we're done."

1. Say, "Surely a little Gold could let you forget the timing of our arrival?" (needs 100 GP).

2. Leave the Guard and then try to sneak past him.

Say, "You're a Planewalker. Maybe we could make a deal?", then offer the Guard the Demon Stone for a)Xi'atta, b) Zon'ch, or c) Brahl.

I forget how much Stealth it takes to sneak past this enemy Guard and into the Vernex ferry terminal. I'll try it if voters favor the option. If you prefer to give up some GP, pick Option 1. For Option 3, I will take preliminary votes for which of our eligible Demon Stones to offer the Guard.

Next update tomorrow, timing is vote-dependent. The next decision will be of major plot importance if you want to mark your calendars. See you tomorrow.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Sneak

But only if it involves theo looking the guard in the eye and declaring "You don't see me"

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Give him a demon stone and Xi'atta, though no hard preference on the later.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I'll try out the Stealth Check, then proceed with Xi'atta if it doesn't work.

Getting Thru Customs posted:

The Guard post is extremely busy. Even so, they notice when six people try to slip past them. (Needed 60 Stealth)

- "Back in line!"

The yelling Guard forces you to return to the other people trying to gain access to the island compound.

Say, "Surely a little Gold could let you forget the timing of our arrival?"

-Say, "You're a Planewalker. Maybe we could make a deal?"

The Guard looks at you with a curious expression on his face. You know you can't give away the unregistered Tyborr Stone, since it's your ticket for entrance, and you refuse to give up the unglowing Demon Stone that Zusak stole from your parents on the night they were murdered. But, perhaps one of the others? Although they are registered to Zusak, the guard would likely not tell anyone, since he'd be accepting it as a bribe.

-Offer the soft blue glowing "Xi'atta" Demon Stone.

The Planewalker Guard takes the Stone in his hand. At first, you think he's going to Summon the Demon on the spot. But instead, he closes his eyes and concentrates while holding the Demon Stone. He then opens them and smiles.

- "This Demon has some power! I thought you were trying to pawn a dud on me. You got yourself a deal. Now, move along before I change my mind."

(Lost Soft Blue Glowing "Xi'atta" Demon Stone)

Any Stone will work to get past the Guard. I generally use Xi'atta also, he's the least useful of the Demons available. If my Charm or Stealth aren't up to the task, that is.

quote:

The crowd is only slightly thinner as you pass the Guard Station. You see that everyone is leading their Horses into a series of large stables before boarding flat-bottomed boats to ferry them across to the Compound itself. The stable hands know their job well and take Lump and your companions' Mounts without question, handing you each a small metal token in return. You can see that this service is free of charge. Riding your Mule for the past several weeks has been much better than walking. You pat her head and tell her you'll be back soon. None of your companions seems as attached to their Mount. Gale chuckles as she witnesses your affection.

The ferry ride across the lake to the Consortium Compound is beautiful. The brisk spring air comes down from the mountains in the distance and sweeps across the water, flapping the flags which fly from the tops of the many towers throughout the Compound. You soon arrive on the central island of Vernex, home to the Consortium of Planewalkers. As you arrive, another set of Guards check your paperwork before letting you off the boat.

- "Well, what now?"

Theo looks at the island with Jess standing next to him.

"Aren't you going to the amphitheatre?" one of the Ferrymen asks as he helps Sister Geri off the boat. "The results of the Vote are being announced to the city before criers are sent to the Duchies."

Gale sighs after the ferryman walks off.

- "We missed the Vote after all. drat it."

"It's fine," you say. "There will probably be speeches and such to announce the results. We should go listen in." You call the Ferryman back over and ask for more detail about the Vote annoucement. He tells you it will happen in a few hours. All the Dukes who now govern your Realm will be present, as they all voted in favor of using their resources to help the Consortium distribute a large supply of Demon Stones to Daria's villages.

"Oddly enough," the Ferryman adds, "the Dukes forbade Demon Summoning in the large cities like Ludd, Tornassa, and Brightwater. They want to try it out in the countryside first and see what effect it has there. Zusak may not approve of such a decision, but he's taking what he can get. He's supposed to be giving a big speech in the auditorium to praise the Vote's results."

The Ferryman confirms that the speech has free admission and there should be plenty of seats available. He also gives you directions to an Inn on the island and a Consortium Store that buys unregistered Demon Stones. He raises his eyebrows when Sister Geri asks him where Zusak and the other Consortium leaders have their living quarters. He gives her directions nonetheless, then heads back to his boat.

Once he is gone, your Mentor explains what she was thinking.

- "If Zusak is going to be making speeches, this is our chance to search his personal rooms."

Your friends are surprised, then intrigued by the idea. Theo addresses it bluntly.

- "You're too old, Sister. You shouldn't go. We should send at least two people, so they can watch each other's backs."

"No more than two, you add after a moment's thought. "This seems risky."

- "Agreed, Renata.
Who do you want to lead this suicidal expedition into Zusak's private quarters?"

Gale frowns at Theo.

- "Suicidal? Surely if the person going has the right amount of Stealth, like me, they should be able to get in and out easily after finding what we need."

- "Not just Stealth will be necessary. We'd also need a bit of Magic to handle any guardians Zusak might have."

- "Or muscle. That could handle them too."

- "I'm the Guide who got us here. I'll gladly lead this operation if you want me to, Renata."

"Maybe I should go."

Sister Geri halts that idea before it can take form.

- "No, Renata. You are too important. You cannot risk yourself like this. If you feel your friends should better do this than I, fine. We'll send two people to search Zusak's quarters, then meet the rest of us at the Inn. While they do their work, the rest of us can see about selling that Demon Stone if you want, or perhaps listen to Zusak's speech at the auditorium."

You nod. "Ok, sounds like a plan."

Your friends clamor for you to pick them to search Zusak's quarters. All four of them want to lead the expedition and plead with you to make your choice.

1. Send Theo.

2. Send Jess.

3. Send Gale.

4. Send Karla.

The next vote is for who the backup person is. I'll go ahead and put it here too.

quote:

After you select the expedition leader, your remaining three friends grimace and wait to see who you will appoint to accompany them.

1. Send Theo.

2. Send Jess.

3. Send Gale.

4. Send Karla.

There's a Relations bonus for the friend picked as leader of this expedition, and a penalty for the friend chosen as backup. Both characters will not be seen again for the rest of LH1, as previously revealed. They will not return to the plot until at least the third quest climax of LH2. Please do not spoil further what happens to them right now if you are aware of it. There have been hints, there will be more, and the game will reveal in due time what occurs. It is best we keep some suspense regarding the plot twists that result from this decision.

For now, suffice to say whichever Party members we send here will have their personal side quest locked out for the next game and it thus can't be completed in canon. I'll cover missed side quests somewhat in fanfic, but that will award us no personal interaction with the side quest, nor any associated bonuses. There may be other consequences also- both Phillia and the God of Mischief warned us about this choice. Sadly, we cannot modify or skip the decision.

We have access to side quests for Theo, Gale, and Karla if we keep them with us here. Jess we did not amass enough Relations with for her side quest, but we may want to keep her around for other reasons. Voters’ choice.

This is a very important plot decision. I hope it gets the proper attention from voters. Please pick your two choices. The person with the greatest number of votes will be our expedition leader, and the one who comes in second will be the backup. I will collect votes for at least a day before moving ahead.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 28, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

karla and gale

Might as well keep hanging with theo at this point and given that one of the remaining party members is likely to die, it might as well be the jerk that doesn't like us.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Gale& Jess. Theo is not very subtle and Karla strikes me as more of an outdors type gall.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 28, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Current Tally-
Gale- 2
Jess-1
Karla-1

I would like a tiebreaker on our backup person please. If you haven't voted in a while, or want to influence a really important game decision for this LP, please know that this is such a decision. I do not want to say why, but it involves the person with the lower overall Relations that we send on this mission and the role they play in the second part of the Lost Heir trilogy. Not spoiling further. Let's just say this is not the sort of decision I want to leave to the randomizer.

I will tally again in the morning. See you then.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Rolling d20 best 2 out of 3, 1-10 Karla, 11-20 Jess... 18,14 means Jess is the backup and Gale leads unless voters override by around 0900 CST.

I think this game is not as conducive to LPing this way as I hoped it would be. :( I still welcome constructive criticism if you think it’s my fault instead somehow. Still intend to finish at least one run of the whole trilogy here regardless of thread popularity. I will proceed in the morning, see you then.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

No harm in seeing if continuing on blind like those two lurkers suggested would make votes pick up. And if that doesn’t work another alternative might be to just take over and show off the most interesting run you can think off yourself.

I’m happy to stick around either way though. :D

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Could have been bad timIng though in terms of availability by the regulars.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thank you both for the advice.

Anakha- You may be right about the timing. I don't know. Some former thread regulars who once posted here have not been around in a while. I hope they're ok. If they're around, I hope they'll speak up soon. Otherwise I'm going to presume they're ok with our current path (like you, I assume, since you haven't voted on a decision in some time).

Avalerion- There are some problems with doing things blind at this point. First, I'm a bit committed to doing it the way I'm doing it already. Part of me wants to see where the original bits I've thought up thus far go and I might have some fans here who feel the same. On the hints, well, I can and might tone those down a bit in the next game, but since we're almost done with this one... it just feels wrong to stop now. More than that, a large part of me does not like the idea of turning a 180 in a blatant attempt to pander for more votes that might or might not be given. Thus I don't want to do it.

Your idea about showing off the best run I can think of instead of depending on votes sounds better to me. I think I might try it. In considering it, I am not intending disrespect to any voters or readers. Please, no one take it that way. I will admit that perhaps I've played these games too much and thus don't want us to screw things up. I will also admit that my writing style for this LP has changed over time and what I ended up with may be at odds with the preferences of some people. I think my regular commenters/voters, few as they are, are ok with it, though. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I will leave it up to voters whether I should keep things as I have been, ultimately depending on goon will to guide me, or whether I should go with your idea, Avalerion. If I do go with it, be aware that I will be doing the following:

- I will keep Renata's Neutral Good Morality and Class levels up to this point along with all her possessions. She will stay a Magic-using Monk who dabbled in Druid Magic. In the future she will definitely take Monk again at third Class level (because we'd be going with Theo to the Norgan and the Eye of Heaven), then convert to Seer or Dragon Rider at 4th Level (probably Seer since I'd like to explore that Class and actually have not just yet. I want to keep some things blind, and I like the irony of playing a Seer blind, a la Cyradis from the Malloreon :) !). I can't say for sure, though. 5th Class Level is similarly too far ahead to consider at this time.

- I will retcon some previous decisions for better stats in certain areas. 10 Stealth for 10 Unarmed from childhood play is the easiest example that comes to mind. I won't be restarting the run to do that, just summarizing things and showing off canon flavor text on the Decisions in question. I will probably also keep our Charmed fails for comedy. If I do get more Unarmed, I will show off at least one success in it when I can instead of a Magic success. I will also endeavor to get Magic and Unarmed both as high as I can. I like the idea of doing that. :)

- I'm keeping our Charm level where it is, I like the idea of the occasional Charm fail comedy for our heroine. :) The second run character can be more Charming, thus allowing me to show off the rewards for Charm Renata may or may not get (I will try to get the Giant ally in LH2 for example, but I may or may not succeed). The other physical stats don't need to change that much, though I will consider working out with Theo as opposed to Stealth with Gale.

- I will keep our Romance and our party Relations about the current level they are now, I see little reason to change things. I'll abort us getting the penalty for failing Jess's backstory sidequest unlock, and possibly change Gale to Theo as above (since only Thieves & Assassins really get enough Stealth to do anything cool with it), but that will be the extent of it.

- I will also keep the major decisions- no Demon Summoning, Jett lives, sending Gale and Jess to Zusak's quarters, everyone's gender, etc. In a second run (I'll probably do one, pending fan interest), the opposite decisions and their results will be shown off. I'm thinking of going with Prince Kai the Evil Rune Warrior for that run. That will show off another Class I have not played- and yes, it is possible to nearly max out Blades, Archery, and Magic in LH1. You will see how. :) Kai will Summon Demons, kill Jett, become a Vampire, win the Siege of Tornassa which Renata will lose, practice Necromancy, and make his foster parent Sir Grady hang his head in shame in the afterlife! Yes, I've been thinking about things. Maybe the next Prince/ss, if there's a third run, will show off Gale, Jess, or Karla's sidequest. I'd have to gauge whether a third run would be in my interest after doing the first two.

- While I will take the reins in most future decisions if proceeding this way, there may be a few here and there that I will want a vote on for flavor. Most of these won't matter in the long run, I'll point them out when we get to each if they're not obvious. I want to give some participation opportunities.

- I will hope for comments between updates from people now and then. Every writer likes feedback.

The more I think about this idea, the more I like it. But I am not doing it without the ok from more than just one reader. So I will put it to a vote. If you want me to keep on the way things are, I can do that. If you want me to go with Avalerion's idea instead, keeping the aforementioned plans in mind, please vote in favor.

The vote on who to send to Zusak's quarters (current tally 2 votes for Gale as leader, 1 each for Karla / Jess as backup with randomizer's tiebreaking in favor of Jess) is also still open, at least until the next update this evening.
I will probably start drafting that update around 1700 CST, but I am taking votes until it posts.

Please let me know your preferences, thanks for your interest either way.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 29, 2017

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I gotta vote for autonomously running it. The rather extensive spoilers behind what each choice meant every vote made the best choice horribly obvious on a per-choice basis, which is why we've wound up with a pretty good but somewhat flawed character. I love the story, I love your additions, but there has been precious little reason to actually vote.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sighence- Yeah, that's part of why I'm considering this. It's not all me, I don't think. Like one poster observed, when you can hit things with Magic hammers, every obstacle looks like a nail. And we specialized in Magic pretty quick early on. Lucid's writing also makes some things obvious here and there. Thanks for the story praise.

Some additional thoughts I've had about autonomous running after sleeping on it.

- Updates may become a bit less frequent if I go autonomous, probably. I will want more time to think about my decisions and make sure I do the right things for Renata with original content and so on. Thus there may be more time between advancements. I'll still try to post once a day, but I'll continue to allow for my schedule and level of detail. I'll also try to keep the updates from getting too big where I can, but no promises.

- I've seen some good fanfic LPs here- Jerusalem's LP of GTA San Andreas is a personal favorite, so is ddegenha's run of the Gold Box Krynn series. But I don't want to be the only one on the thread talking and there may be times I'll hope for a new page. If admins or anyone else who knows more about the thread page system here than I do wants to express thoughts, please do.

- I'm probably going to go full open spoilers, Bobbin Threadbare style. I will allow people to discuss LP progress, using their best judgement. On some things- what happens to the person we send to investigate Zusak with lower Relations in our current choice for example- I will hold back exact detail until the appropriate time and encourage readers to do the same. You'll know what those situations are. And if the second run proceeds similarly to the first, I'll do open spoilers in about the same way.

- Some possible mistakes in decisions I'm keeping. Renata's Druid level for example. I like the Druid stuff enough in these games to at least want to show it off a bit. Even if we can't do all of it, I can still tease the special stuff we can't do. Then people who play on their own and my own original content can handle the rest. I like the idea of a "Disappointed Druid Mentor Dorion" section every now and then.

- I'll continue to welcome comments as I progress. I'll also allow votes for flavor choices where nothing gets us anywhere different next choice (these are usually pretty obvious, I'll point out the ones that aren't about which I know), that will give people something to do. On big decisions that actually matter, I will try to improve the lowest or most important stat first and try to note why I don't pick certain options if I know what they mean for the future. Failing that, I will go with the choices that seem the most positive or cool. Sometimes I will do cliffhangers and allow readers to speculate as to what those might be. If enough people influence my Decision Making in the right way, I may even change what I originally planned to do next.

- A second run of the entire LH trilogy here is not a sure thing. After the first run is over, I will poll readers for their interest and gauge my own, then we'll see. I may also take votes on what story elements to show off in a second run (Demon Summoning is a sure thing, but both Jess and Petra's sidequests are pretty cool so I will let voters pick whether we want special Soulburner powers or a Vampire). Can't say for sure what those will all end up being right now, but I will try to allow fan influence in meaningful ways.

- For voters willing to stick with me, I intend to start a Let's Play after Renata's story is done that will be of a classic epic CYOA in which I will do a minimal spoilers, no fanfic or pictures, bare bones text run. I'll also be using the lottery system to ultimately pick most choices, something I've seen work out well here a few times. Not spoiling the game in question right now, let's just say as a Texan it will be in a genre near and dear to my heritage. :D I'll want to get Renata's story out of my system before I start it, but I think I'll be able to do it after I get her to the end of LH3, even alongside a second run of the LH trilogy if I do one. Can't say for certain, fan interest is important, but I have hope.

Still taking votes till this evening on how to keep going with this LP. If it still looks like this is how I should progress later, the first post will be retconning as I feel necessary, and then tomorrow we will progress and see what happens after our search party to Zusak's quarters is dispatched. :laugh:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

achtungnight posted:

For voters willing to stick with me, I intend to start a Let's Play after Renata's story is done that will be of a classic epic CYOA in which I will do a minimal spoilers, no fanfic or pictures, bare bones text run.

For myself I don't think you need to do drop the flavor writing and pics, that stuff is fun. :)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Avalerion- Well, the problem with the game in question is I don't know it as well as I know Lost Heir, so flavor writing will be more difficult. I also wish to give the canon game enthusiasts who lurk and/or post here a bone and conduct an experiment in writing to see which style I and my readers prefer- Bare bones or otherwise. I've had success with fanfic already in my Howl of the Werewolf LP (link on first post) and again here. I want to try the other way at least once.

Character headcanons and other pics are a possibility, though. I'll further consider the idea before I start the LP, it will still be quite a few months.

I think we're pretty much decided on how to proceed with this LP. I'll be considering possible retcons as I review Renata's life thus far for the next few hours, then post them when ready. In the meantime, if you have any thoughts, including disappointment, please feel free to voice your views.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
I honestly think that if you want more audience participation, you can't get into the more fanfiction-like portions of writing. Mainly because with any sort of story, the character belongs to the author. Compare this run to another CYOA playthrough, The Life of a Mobster. It has minimal fan theories or additions to the story, and it gets a lot more comments. This is because the characters played there are more of like caricatures than anything else; nothing more than a framework for the audience to push their own ideas onto.

Renata is a far different beast; she's an actual character. And because of this, it's a lot harder to make decisions that would be in-character for her. She comes off as smart, and so we want to do smart things with her. She acts decently, so we want to see her do good things. She's evolved from the original caricature she once was and that's a testament to your writing. But that writing belongs in a world with a cohesive story with a structured plot; not the various choices that get offered in a CYOA.

That being said, I would definitely enjoy reading more of your world-building and Renata's tale than going into a minimalist run. If I want to just learn about game mechanics, I can play it myself. But I want to see just how far Renata goes in the course of three games, and I'd like to see just what you can do if you take her out of our hands.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
SimplyUnknown1- Thanks for the praise. I agree with you. I hope to live up to your words as I proceed. We'll see where things go. Also, welcome back. :)

Ok, time for the great retcon to begin. Just a few things on which I have decided first.

- Renata is still not getting a headcanon. I want to keep her faceless in honor of how this LP originally proceeded. I personally have her cast as Billie Lourd or some other similar young badass actress who deserves to star in an epic fantasy, and imagine her as Lina Inverse with martial arts, but others may differ in their own speculation. So let it stand.

- Stats will be fully updated once per page and noted when there is significant advancement (example, when Magic is maxed out).

- After the retcon is over, updates for this LP will be limited to one each afternoon around 1700 CST. There may be delays, due to circumstances beyond my control- I'll explain them with the next update when that occurs and try to keep them to a day or two at maximum.

- Renata's character class will be primarily Monk, keeping the Druid level for Magic bonus and flavor regarding teased choices we won't be able to fully explore (Disappointed Arch-Druid Dorion will present those). I'll be playing Monk at first and third level for the physical stat bonuses to Perception, Agility, and Endurance, which we might need in the endgame of LH3 (no spoilers, readers will see why this is the case), then probably going Seer to show it off. Dragon Rider I also want to show off, but I'm not sure whether I can get it with Renata's stats. We'll see. I'll mention what the other Classes do when I can and still intend to give a full review of each at the end of the LP to the best of my knowledge. Not speculating about Fifth & Final Class Level at this time.

- I'll continue to cast the game as we proceed. The Cast Page has two new additions if anyone is interested. Samuel L. Jackson & Charlize Theron play Mr. and Ms. Porter, the Consortium of Planewalkers' Professors of Demon Summoning. We'll meet them officially in a few updates. I want to set up some stuff for LH3.

- I will try not to say this too often, but I want to say it at least once more. Feedback (and votes when I ask for them, as I will on flavor choices) will ultimately fuel my writing in a positive way. IMO, reviews of my work, praise, constructive criticism, speculation about the consequences of current choices and the possibility of future ones, and anything else other than flames all constitute good feedback. Please post some if you are inclined. Thanks in advance.

Ok, retcon away!

Paths Updated posted:

Before you can decide who to send to investigate Zusak, time freezes around you. A voice catches your attention.

- "Princess Renata of Daria! I am Fate, the ultimate arbiter of decisions in your world. Before you choose here, I offer you the chance to review life decisions you have already made and address other perhaps wiser paths."

You challenge the Goddess. "I have made good decisions thus far. I am happy with them. Why should I change them?"

- "You have the benefit of fore-knowledge, child. Should you not use that gift?"

"Maybe, maybe not. Do I not also have free will?"

- "You do have free will. Let us review your choices, and then you shall decide."

Fate waves her hand, and you drift back in time to the dream you had which started your epic journey.

The sky is slashed with jagged tears of fire. They are like wounds upon reality itself and cast everything in a harsh red light. The land before you is cracked and dry. There is nothing growing from the parched dirt your feet rest upon. You stand with your Army behind you. They wear bright armour and hold sharp swords, although their equipment is dented and scratched from many battles. Your faithful companions are at your side.

You survey the mass of creatures before you. Their numbers are without limit as they stretch across the horizon. Many of them are somewhat man-shaped, but twisted, as though they are the nightmares of what man could be. Some of them have leathery wings, many have sharp claws and most of them have great yellow horns protruding from their heads. They are the denizens of the Demon Realm, come to lay waste to your world.

One of them steps forward, leading the group. It stands at over seven feet. It swings a claw through the air, seeming to rend the very air in front of it. It unfurls its wings and takes to the sky. Everyone around you tenses as it flies straight toward you.

-"I cast a mighty spell."

Fate nods, and you do so once again.
Your words and hand motions warp reality to your whim. Your Army takes this as a command and surges forward, screaming their defiance at the otherworldly beasts before them.

You then awaken in your Castle bedroom as before, an adolescent child. You are Princess Renata, Heir to the Throne of Daria. A personal Spellbook of great Magic power is your prized possession. It has been authored in part by Court Wizard Harmon, who has penned in several truly mighty spells he hoped you will one day be able to master, including that spell which you cast in your dream. Other famous Wizards from Daria's Academy of Wizards have made their own contributions, all interested in aiding the future Queen of the Realm.

You leave your bedroom, smiling at servants in a Charming manner. You will not have the Charm early in life to do impressive things, but perhaps one day you will develop just enough.

You go to visit your friend Gale, the Castle Cook's daughter, a future playful Thief. You are not attracted to her as a Romantic Partner, but she is still a good friend who calls you by your given name, Renata. After she shares the news of mysterious visitors to the Castle, you play with her that morning. Fate pauses the action.

- "Do you still wish to stalk rats here? It gave you Stealth before, and there was little interest in doing other things. Playing in the Kingswood would have increased your Nature, reading stories your Arcana. You could also have wrestled with Gale."

You think for a moment, then shrug. "Fine, I'll try out changing my past once. We are keeping the Rat Extermination Campaign, though, right? That's kind of important to my friendship with Gale."

- "As you wish. But what was your main focus of play, other than Stalking Rats?"

You decide to explain Gale's brief physical attraction to you through retcon, along with your later interest in Unarmed combat.

- "Stalk rats in the tunnels below the Castle. Wrestle and roughhouse around the Moat, as we did most mornings."

- "As you say."

Your parents would be mortified to know how you behaved with the Cook's daughter. Gale was great, she rarely saw your rank and treated you like a normal person. Your fancy clothing quickly gets dirty and crinkled as you tumble about.

The Guards who accompany you daily, Biggs & Wedge, provide commentary as you wrestle.

- "Good form, Princess! But stop cocking your shoulder like that before you lunge. Your opponent will see it coming. Just hit them without warning instead."

- "Biggs is right. Also, I suggest you growl and tense your body when your opponent grabs you. This will shake them up and give you an opportunity to break out of the hold. You can do the same thing if you grab someone to interrupt their planned defenses."

Both you and Gale appreciate the advice, although Gale adds that she prefers fighting with Blades to fighting Unarmed.

After a few hours of play, you and Gale make your way back into the castle and down to the kitchen where Freda, her mother, has put together a small breakfast for you to eat. The Grand Rat Campaign remains in your past, but now the wrestling you did together is more important to you. (Unarmed +10 to 46, Current Stealth -10 to 13)

"Interesting effects," you tell Fate in an aside, "let us keep going. I'll let you know if I want to do something different again."

Fate nods assent and time proceeds at increased speed. You address Gale kindly regarding her future. You then go to visit your tutor, Court Wizard Harmond. His academic classes remain your favorites, History a subject in which you have particular interest. You listen intently to Harmond's lecture regarding the Consortium of Planewalkers and thank him for it. You then meet your parents, share your Imagined Adventuring Experiences (fighting princes and showering the common dragons with gold) with them, and head to the Throne Room for Zusak's audience. There, you laugh again upon first meeting Zusak, his noblewoman ally Selina, and his Weapon Master bodyguard Thuja. Your parents spurn the opinions of their future murderers, and you leave the Throne Room after the audience to meet your potential Mentors.

Again, you burn Sir Grady's mustache, casually bat away Lady Emaline's cane, and ask Amos why he is in the dungeon rather than ignore him or have him whipped. You contemplate asking him about Devices such as the lock on his cell, but in the end ask him about Stealth again. Neither stat matters much for the person you will become.

In future runs, we will get the chance to address what other bonuses we missed with our Mentors, including the bonus we could have gotten through speaking with Lady Emaline or waiting for her to leave the garden rather than bump away her cane.

Fate is voiced by Helen Mirren. Still not casting Biggs & Wedge.

quote:

Again, you meet Sister Geri. You are tempted to ask her about how she fought off four Bandits at once, but instead proceed with your familiar inquiry regarding Magic and Religion. You have already gained increased Unarmed and Magic will be more important to you early on.

After you meet your Mentors, you retire to your room for an afternoon nap. Your handmaid Bertie wakes you up late, and you hurry to the Castle Banquet Hall, aware via foreknowledge of the tragedy to come. When you get there, you tell your mother...

-"I came as soon as I could." You want to warn her about the poisoned food, but know it is too late already and Fate shakes her head when you try.

Again, you almost eat some of the poisoned food. Then your mother knocks the spoon from your hand in the middle of a sudden seizure. Surrounded by their allies, Zusak and Selina stand up to confront you as your parents die.

You-

1. Push the food onto the floor.

2. Yell for the guards.

3. Ask, "Are you okay?"

4. Watch in stunned silence.

This seems a good opportunity to show off an alternate false choice action (we picked #3 last time). I have covered a good bit thus far and we can do different without consequence here.

There may be more retconning/review of LH1 thus far tonight if at least one vote comes in. See you tomorrow otherwise.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
I think pushing the food onto the floor would be most in character. It has killed her parents twice now.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Toss the food out.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thanks. I'll show off the other options in a second run if any. Continuing catchup-

The Past... posted:

-Push the food onto the floor.

The food scatters across the cobblestones, but it's too late. From that point on, things become a blur of chaos, fear, and horror. All of the Nobles not allied with Zusak are choking and gasping for breath, including both of your parents. You can hear loud screams and clashing swords in the hallway. You watch in stunned silence as men in dark chainmail begin to flood into the Great Hall. You can tell by their clothing that these are the Consortium's Guards. Royal Guards follow them in, their swords also out. Then Thuja's Mercenaries enter and attack the Royal Guard. Prompted by Zusak, the Consortium Guards switch sides, also attacking the Royal Guards.

You attempt to flee from the melee, chased by Selina's Half-Ogre Thug, Bunta. Her other minions- Dorgan the treacherous Barbarian, the alchemist Dr. Konnors and his addiction victim Lord Mazrim, Bolwen the Arch-Mage, and Phasma the Dark Knight- are not present. Apparently she has yet to meet them. You evade Bunta, then are challenged by Duke Eddan's Army Commander, Lucius Viers, whom you also evade. In addition, you recognize two of the Nobles allied with Zusak. One is Duke Bandar, and another is Lord Weslo, the minor Noble from Brightwater about whom your mother was concerned. You fling Magic Missiles at both of them, and they flee from you.

- "I didn't sign up for personal danger! I'm getting out of here!"

- "Wait for me!"

You smile at having frightened two of your enemies. Then Thuja grabs you with unnatural speed and starts to drag you out of the banquet hall behind Selina and Zusak. As before, you are briefly threatened by an angry former Dungeon Prisoner.

- "Gah! Spill Royal Blood!"

You have the Unarmed Stats to successfully punch the man now, but you still zap him with a bolt of fire. At your current level of development, this seems more appropriate.

The man collapses when hit by your spell, just as he did before. Again, Thuja grabs you. He then drags you to the Royal Treasury, accompanied by Zusak, Selina, and your dying parents. Upon arrival, your enemies are confronted by the Guards Biggs, Wedge, and Piett. Zusak Summons his Demon Brahl to eviscerate them.

- "Fools! Time to die!"

The Demon kills the Guards, but is unable to open the Treasury Vault's door, even when aided by Zusak's other lesser Demon Xi'atta. Zusak dismisses them and then uses your hand to open the Vault just as he did before. You watch, held prisoner by Thuja, as Zusak again takes the strange un-glowing Demon Stone from the Vault. You now know from Jowal's exposition that the Stone is probably linked to a powerful Demon Lord and needs something special to fully activate, but you still cannot stop Zusak from taking it. Nor can you stop Selina from stealing most of the treasure in the Vault, and mocking you afterwards.

- "Poor little girl. Her parents are dead. Her own brief survival has doomed her kingdom."

You have a moment to...

Pray to the Gods for aid Ask Selina, "What do you mean by that?"

Swapping the Religion bonus for Perception here. We already have the Gods' attention and we will need Perception for the Seer Prestige Class. It seems in character for Renata to confront Selina and try to pry information from her about the enemy's plans here.

What do you mean? posted:

The woman ignores the question, but Zusak looks you in the eye.
(Perception +2 to 67, Religion -2 to 69)

- "She means exactly what she said. Daria's days are over now, Princess. I'd apologize to you, but I am long past such niceties."

"Fine," you snarl at Zusak. "But tell me one thing. Why are you doing this? Why murder my parents?"

- "I think it better that you never learn. Innocence is bliss."

Zusak then coldly addresses his axeman Thuja.

- "Kill her, Thuja. They'll just think it was an escaped prisoner. It would have been cleaner if Selina's poison had done the deed, but this will work just as well."

Again, the axeman steps towards you, weapon raised. He is interrupted once again by your Wizard tutor Harmond, who paralyzes Thuja & Selina, then battles Zusak with Magic while you flee. You remember to steal the Stones before you escape, now realizing just how important that action was.

- "Your powers are weak, old man!"

- "You can't win, Alexander, not as long as Renata survives. And if you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!"

- "Oh, you just had to tempt me!"

The explosion behind you claims Harmon's life. You only briefly glance back to see him collapse beside your dead parents. Then you run.

You dodge through the mob of Guards battling each other, just as before, then follow Sister Geri out of the Castle through the tunnels while Sir Grady, Lady Emaline, and Amos die to cover your escape.

Keeping the Agility, two points is no big deal in retrospect. Also keeping Sister Geri as Mentor, future runs can get someone else (leaning towards Grady or Amos, we'll see when I address a second run). Keeping Geri's Magic bonus as well.

The Next Six Years posted:

You were grateful to Sister Geri for saving you and bringing you up as a foster parent during your teen years. You contemplated studying her martial arts, but kept Magic instead. You had a foundation in Magic already and had mostly been using it in your previous life. You still became a Monk at First Class Level, trained by Sister Geri in Unarmed combat and Perception among other things. Sister Geri told you that with your use of Magic and Martial Arts you reminded her of a Monk she had once known named Katara.

You befriended Karla, purchased a Rope and Dagger from her, trained with her in Unarmed combat, had drinks and a meal at the local Tavern, then set out for your first Adventurer's Guild job following a one night stand with the bar server Steffan.

Before you left, Sister Geri filled you in on what she knew about your enemies. She also gave you your Runebag of Demon Stones for safekeeping. You promised not to use them unless you had no other choice. You then hugged Sister Geri and departed for the Guild notice board.

Once you arrived, you first saw Theo, and as before, followed him away from the board and complimented him on seeming to know his way around. You now had the Unarmed to successfully threaten Bobby and thus earn a bonus, and you could have Charmed him too, but meeting Theo was more interesting once you saw him for the first time.

You can get an Unarmed bonus for threatening the boy Adventurer Bobby and standing your ground. Or a Strength, depending on which Stat is higher at the time. Still going with Perception for Seer.

First Job posted:

You introduce yourself to Theo and Master Jett. You also meet Jethro, the traitor Shepherd, and the four young Adventurers Bobby, Vicky, Mary, and Ted. The first night on the trail to Ludd, you cast your Magic wards over the flock following your failed Charming speech. You then get to know Theo by asking where he's from and giving him flowers. Later in the trip, you decide not to use your Demon Stones and you give a spare blanket to the young shepherd girl Leigh Anne. You and Theo develop the beginnings of a future Romance. You bond intensely when you meet a Troll midway through the journey to Ludd.

- "ROAR!"

Instead of starting combat with Magic, as you did before, you decide to test out your new Unarmed Skills. -Attack the troll with your bare hands.

You strike the Troll repeatedly in the face with your hands, causing the ugly green face to begin bleeding from its broken nose.

(Unarmed +3 to 46, Magic -3 to 88, Troll Health -25 to 75/100)

Theo gasps when he sees you punching the Troll.

- "That won't work, Renata!
We need a fire!"

"Relax, Theo!" you shout in reply. "This Troll is already dead!"

-Attempt to immobilize the Troll with Magic.

You mutter the words under your breath and attempt to cover the Troll with magical fire. Unfortunately, you haven't had the opportunities to learn combat Magic as well as you would have liked. You still manage to do well, since fire is the bane of Trolls. It falls to the ground in a blackened husk.

(Magic bonus retained, Troll Health 0/100)

After the fight, you still cannot open the Som'Reth Welcome Box. You again make a pact with Theo to investigate it later. Afterwards, you battle the Kobolds with Theo in their secret pit lair and claim the mystic Necklace of Nature after killing the Kobold Leader. You still beat the Kobold Leader with Magic, you'll have more opportunities to use Unarmed later after you increase it and you want Magic high. Using Unarmed againt the three lesser Kobolds would have knocked you out according to Fate, even with increased Unarmed here (Needed 45 Unarmed).

Once again, you contemplate killing Master Jett at the end of the trip to Ludd. But, being a Good person, you reject the idea. You even decide not to Knight Jethro- instead you advise him to be a better person and that success is a better revenge than violence in the long run. He has no choice but to agree, awed by the power of your Decision Making.

As previously discussed, Jett is surely dead next run. Sorry, Jett. :laugh: I will make the second run Evil, this one Good, per previous votes. Showing off some new options based on that decision.

quote:

You visit the Temple in Ludd before the Tavern. Prompted by Fate's gift of free will, you-

-Pray to the Good Gods of the world.

You bow your head at several of the Shrines, saying words of prayer to Lucien, Auriel, and several others, including Phillia, Fate, and an elephant-faced God named Ganesh. (Religion retained +2, and Good +2 to Good 53 Evil 47)

You also, since you are now a Good person, decide to...

-Make a divine oath to never steal.

Such an oath, made before the Gods and Goddesses, is not to be taken lightly. To go through life without stealing would be a mighty commitment.

The voices in your head have not supported stealing thus far in your life. Thus you...

-Make the oath.

You feel a tingling across your skin and realize that your words were heard. Theo gives you an odd look, but says nothing.

(Good +10, now 63/37 on Morality)

-Continue on your way.

Again, you drink at the Tavern with Theo and accept his offer of partnership in an expedition to raid Som'Reth Ruins to which the Box will direct you. Afterwards, you seek out Arch-Druid Dorion in an attempt to become a Druid. He has a strange expression when you meet him.

- "Father Time and Mother Nature have told me you will not continue as a Druid, you are only becoming one now for show-off purposes. I am... sorry to hear this, but I understand and will support the decision. If you make it again, that is."

You pause. At first, you wanted to become a Druid. However, now you are not so sure. Dorion was good to you in your previous life, but is it really right to seek his training just for flair? Fate informs you it may not be the best way to proceed. She tells you the tale of Prince Noah, a Druid Heir to the Throne of Daria in a parallel universe. Noah was a mighty Druid with many animal allies, but he could bring none of said allies on his final quest to save the Realm. His shapechanging powers also made little positive difference against his final quest's challenges, and his lack of physical stats from a primarily Magic-using Class ruined him in other ways. Noah was only 5% Human and had lots of Demon traits once he was done exploring the Demon Realm, then ended up a Martyr when his final battle with Zusak and the Demon Lord K'Girr came to pass.

You have many obvious questions about Fate's revelations regarding Prince Noah. The Goddess refuses to answer them in detail. You end up facing a new choice before you can move ahead.

1. Make the same Class Level decision as before and become a Druid (bonuses to Magic +15 and Nature +20).

or Give up on Druid training and either...

2. Continue your studies as a Monk (bonuses to Unarmed, Agility, and History IIRC)

3. Become a Priestess of the Good God Heironeus (bonuses to Magic, Religion, and History IIRC, also free Holy Symbol and new sidequest we won't be completing this run regarding the Unknown God but can finish halfway, also free Healing Magic- very useful, and our Morality will be a sure thing when we meet Suno in Elmvale)

4. Work in the local Library as a Sage (bonuses to Arcana, History, and Geography).

After further consideration, I realized my memory of Druid playthrus may be good enough to show it off through Disappointed Druid Dorion bits without making the associated Choice Options canon. The voters who swung Renata in favor of Druid have also been silent since doing so. Thus I thought I'd give us the option to pick something else. I am personally leaning towards Priestess. The reason? I want to give Renata the Good level to get a reward from Suno for later in LH2 (free Weapon Masters, not Training). Not becoming a Druid here will kill our Nature bonus, meaning we can't Hunt in Elmvale during winter without a Bow, but it will unlock other options and show off at least part of the Unknown God Sidequest, which I like. We still keep the Sister Verilia event too, because of our previous Monk level. We'll lose the Gold Bonus from Hunting in Elmvale later if we stop being a Druid, but we can make it up in other ways. 200 Gold does not make or break the game.

If we want a second Monk level here instead, we can get +10 to Unarmed and Agility IIRC. We can also take a Sage level- that has Knowledge Skill points and some hidden bonuses later. Or we can stay Druid if you prefer. If we go Monk or Sage, we can still get just enough Magic to use it to destroy the Skeletons when we meet them later on and then win the final boss fight of LH1. So this is a good opportunity to pick up some extra Unarmed if we want to swing that way now- or the Knowledge bonuses of a Sage, which might be useful for Dragon Riding later if we end up preferring that to Seer. Even if we don't get Dragon Riding, note that I am going to show it off a little by having Lord Tovar pick it up himself. There are few game changers more potent than Stanley Tucci riding a Dragon! :black101: Our other Companions in LH2 will also be taking Prestige Classes at 4th Class Level- not spoiling which ones at this time.

Our Gold bonus for the new Class Level will be pretty much unchanged, only our other Stats will be affected by this.

You have till around 1700 CST tomorrow to help me re-pick Renata's second Class Level per your preference. Make arguments to influence my final decision however you want. I will also accept votes regarding our God if you agree Priestess is a good idea (Heironeus was ahead last tally IIRC, but I am officially resetting the tally at this point). I'll see you tomorrow evening to continue the retcon.

Renata's new Current Stats to help your decision are as follows-

Stats posted:

Renata the Monk, Daria's Lost Heir Princess.
Health: 100%
Specialized Training:
Monk Levels: 1

MORALITY:
Good: 61% Evil: 39%

ABILITIES:
Agility: 22%
Charm: 43%
Endurance: 20%
Perception: 35%
Strength: 20%
Willpower: 20%

SKILLS:
Archery: 0%
Devices: 0%
Magic: 61%
Blades: 0%
Stealth: 3%
Unarmed: 36%

KNOWLEDGE:
Arcana: 55%
Geography: 33%
History: 43%
Nature: 40%
Religion: 55%

RELATIONSHIPS:
Theo: 79%
Others Hidden and Not Relevant at this Time.

INVENTORY
- a Pouch on your belt containing 110 Gold Pieces (GP)
- a Spellbook
- a Dagger in your sleeve

A Backpack containing:
- a black Runebag with 3 glowing Demon Stones and 1 unglowing Stone in it
- a Rope
- a water skin
- flint and steel
- a sleeping roll

You are wearing:
- the bone Necklace of Nature around your neck (+20 Bonus to Nature)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'd be in favor of dropping druid for monk if not planning to invest further in druid, the cool stuff usually comes at higher levels so sticking with a class (at least until prestige classes) is better unless you just need the stat boosts for max maxing.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sage sounds good.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

druid
Riding
Crocodile :colbert:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thank you for your arguments. Here is what I have decided based on them.

- I am not having Renata become a Priestess after all. No one argued in favor and if I took the Class, I would be doing so only for flair, same as if Renata were becoming a Druid. That's not a good enough reason for me to do it. Healing Magic would be nice, but it is also good to avoid damage and thus not need Healing. There is rarely a situation where competence cannot make up for lack of Healing and I want to at least leave some things to chance. Also, I still don't like the Morality required of Priests. Renata has an amoral side and I will want to show that off from time to time. I'm doing Good for now to get Suno's favor, I don't want to risk losing my Priestess powers later on by being too Evil for the Gods. Maybe as my Morality shifts this decision will look less practical.

- I'm not doing Sage because while the hidden Knowledge bonuses are nice, their effects can still be shown off through fanfic and there is no side quest or other bonus for being a Sage besides Knowledge that I can't duplicate in other ways. I want to see if I can get the Dragon Rider bonus quest without a Sage's Knowledge tricks- it should be possible. Prince Bill had the ability IIRC. He was a straight physical Monk, too, not a Magic one like Renata. Thus she has some advantages he didn't thanks to her background in Academia.

- I am still not doing Druid. I like the Crocodile argument, believe me, but I want us to earn our Epic Mount, not just grab it when it shows up after taking a Class that only gave us a little flair. I also want a Mount that actually does something cool besides just exist as a Sweet Ride. As far as I know, the Crocodile is not such a Mount. Although it could have been one, and fanfic will show off some possible ways. I'm going to world-build it. That also means we will keep the Crocodile around when we find it even though we won't tame it ourselves (a Ranger in our party- Karla- will do it instead) and we'll even get to give the Crocodile a name too! Not being able to get the Crocodile may limit our chances at an Epic Mount later- if Renata doesn't get one, we can still try again in a second run. With flair the only argument in favor for Druid, I've decided I'd rather have Renata do another Class for the more diverse stat boosts. Druid is just too limited in Stats with bonuses to only Magic & Nature, same for Wizard with bonuses to only Magic & Arcana (why it was off the table plus no one was interested last time). Both Classes do get better, but neither will be our primary focus this run.

Therefore...

- We are taking a second Monk Level in Ludd. Renata has already punched out a Troll and I want her to punch out a Kraken too in the distant future. I am getting her Ki Strike, but she may also need additional Monk Levels and Unarmed Skill, I'm not sure how much. Memories of Bill are fuzzy... like Dorion's beard.

But before we grab our second Monk Level, one small retcon regarding our Nature stat.

quote:

You contemplate your Class decision for a moment, then get Fate's attention. "Hey, if I'm a Good person now, I can help that injured Weapon Master Suno, right? Or am I not Good enough?"

- "You are not Good enough. You need 70 Good. You will need to either donate to the needy or become a Priest to get enough Good."

You frown, then speak. "I have another idea. Is it not Good to also avoid Evil? What if I take back an Evil mistake in my past? Can you do that for me?"

Fate shrugs.

- "Why not? It is your life."

"Then take me back to Lady Emaline please. I would like to ask her about Nature rather than bump away her cane."

Fate nods and makes a gesture. A glass cylinder with an antenna on the top of it falls out of the sky beside you. Two confused teenage boys stumble out of the cylinder and look around while a man in a blue suit sizes you up from inside the cylinder's interior booth.

Fate addresses them.

- "Gentlemen, Princess Renata needs your assistance! I brought you here to help her. Princess, tell them where you need to go."

You tell the teenagers and their associate how you wish to change your past. They agree to help you. You then join them inside their strange device- which is thankfully not yet crowded with the likes of Genghis Khan, Joan of Arc, Socrates, Billy the Kid, Beethoven, and Napoleon- and journey back to your first meeting with Lady Emaline. You step out of the booth upon arrival and bid farewell to your brief new friends.

"Catch you later, Bill, Ted, and Rufus. Be Excellent to each other and Party on, Dudes!"

Lady Emaline does not visibly react to the appearance of time travelers. She has seen stranger things in her life as an Assassin. Instead of saying anything, she keeps gathering flowers as she did the last time you were here. You approach her and...

- Ask inanely, "Are you picking some flowers, Lady Emaline?"

The old lady turns her steely grey gaze upon you.

- "Weeding. The weeds grow against the Kingdom regardless of how much we try to stop them."

Sometimes you wonder if the old woman has started to go senile. Lady Emaline picks the blue petals off of the flowers as she is speaking, dropping the remains into a small clay jar.

Her calculating eyes seem to study you.

- "If you remove the perianth, it leaves the androecium and gynoecium. Half a flower's worth steeped in a tea is very relaxing. More than that can be very dangerous."

You notice that she is gathering several flowers worth of the stuff.

"Lady Emaline, you say, "I need your help. Have you heard of an Evil ex-Assassin Noblewoman named Selina?"

Lady Emaline growls and pops her hidden blade from her cane.

- "Selina is a traitor to my Guild! Is she here?"

"She is, and she has a terrible plot to poison my parents. Is there any way you can stop it?"

Lady Emaline stares at you. Belatedly you realize she does not recognize your teenage appearance.

"It's me, Princess Renata. I came back from the future to get your assistance. Please forgive me for casually bumping away your cane when last I was here."

Lady Emaline blinks, then relaxes.

- "You look much like your mother, Princess. I accept your apology. Please tell me what Selina intends."

You tell her as much as you can. Lady Emaline sighs at the end of your recount.

- "Unfortunately I fear I cannot stop Selina from poisoning your parents. They are fated to die here, and I must not challenge the whims of Fate. I also recall from Selina's time in the Guild of Assassins that her favorite poison is iocaine powder. That poison is colorless, odorless, tasteless, dissolves instantly in water, and is among the deadlier poisons known. I do not know of an antidote for it, and it is so rare that very few people have built up immunity. I am exceedingly sorry, Princess."

You let out a frustrating sigh. "Thanks anyway. It was worth a try."

- "Good day to you, Princess Renata."

Lady Emaline leaves the Castle Garden with her tiny clay jar.

(Emaline Relationship +5, Nature +5 to 81, Morality now 64/36 Good)

You wave at Fate. "Take me back to Ludd now, please."

Fate nods and Summons a tall wild-haired scientist with a DeLorean.

- "Dr. Brown, please take Princess Renata Back to the Future!"

The scientist nods and waves you to get into his car. You then attain a speed of 88 miles per hour and return to Ludd six years and a few months later. During the trip, you tell Dr. Brown about your quest.

- "Great Scott! Sorry about your parents, Princess! I hope you and your friends can avenge them and save your Realm. Let me know through Fate if you need help again!"

You thank the Doctor, hopeful you will not need his help too much in the future. After leaving him behind on the outskirts of Ludd, you address Dorion.

"Arch-Druid, I am sorry, but I cannot become a Druid now. My destiny lies elsewhere. Can you please come to Elmvale anyway this winter and perhaps bring some friends along? A Ranger, if you know one? Also a Thief, a Wizard, and a valiant Knight?"

You explain your plans a bit further. Dorion considers the idea, then nods.

- "Very well, Princess. I know just the people who can assist your plans. I will find them and see you this winter in Elmvale. Unfortunately, I must take back your Druid Training now. (Nature -23 to 58, Magic -15 to 73) I will still gather my friends to give you aid."

You thank Dorion, introduce yourself to Ruby the Sage when she stops by his Druid Grove a few moments later, then leave the Grove and...

-Find a Monastery in order to continue your profession as a Monk.

The life of a travelling Monk is quite common. You are immediately offered a room at the Ludd Monastery, but decide to stay at the Inn to be closer to Theo. You spend your days in quiet contemplation, honing your body and mind into weapons. The other Monks teach you new skills and forms that you have never seen before. They also offer you some money to pay for your room back at the Inn.

Sister Verilia is Senior Monk at the Ludd Monastery and thus she sums up your new Skills.

- "Renata, with this new Level, you are now no longer a Druid, rather an Adept Monk. I see you study a bit of Magic also, that is interesting. I have taught you many new Unarmed techniques during your time here in Ludd, and also a few acrobatic feats to increase your Agility and some meditation tricks to grow your Religion Knowledge. I hope you will profit from these. I am sorry Monks do not make as much Gold as Druids."

"It's fine, Sister. 20 GP is honestly not much of a loss."

(Gained level in Monk, Gold +10 (current level 120 GP), Unarmed +10 to future level 59, Religion +5 to 74, and Agility +10 to 43)

The days in Ludd go by quickly and before you know it, you've been there a few months. One day, Theo abruptly enters the inn when you are eating your breakfast.

Once again, you smile at Theo and enjoy your relationship's first kiss. You also congratulate him for getting the Som'Reth Welcome Box open and express that you are eager to meet your new Adventuring Companions.

- "That's great, Renata! I honestly expected you to take this a bit more personally."

You shrug. "I honestly hope my new party members will become my friends."

Theo shrugs and invites Jess and Gale into the Inn's common room. You extend your hand to Jess as you did before, hug Gale and form your party, accept Theo's dinner invitation, then discuss the past six years with Gale alone in your room upstairs. Later you and Theo enjoy dinner together.

After this fateful forming of your future Fellowship, you again witness Sister Verilia's evasion of a runaway cart. She addresses your training thus far, and you tell her.

-"I wish to seek balance."

Keeping our current Agility, Strength, and Perception seems best here. The bonuses for the other answers are significant, but I do not want to accept the also significant stat penalties.

I am sorry if Renata's new continuing developments disappoint any fans. Having taken over the LP now as author, I have the power of final control. I am sculpting our heroine thusly per my best judgement and memory, guided by the original game author Lucid. But I am also changing other things in response to your suggestions. I hope that is appreciated.

Dr. Brown was a cameo from Christopher Lloyd. Renata also met the heroic trio from the 1980s film Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. She may meet a certain other Doctor if she needs to time travel again.

To The Som'Reth Ruins... posted:

Before leaving Ludd, you acquire Lump the Mule from Theo. It is a gift you graciously accept. You then set out with your Party for the Som'Reth Ruins.

On the way to the Ruins, you bond with Gale, learning the art of Stealth. You are tempted to train in Strength with Theo or Arcana with Jess instead, but then you remember Gale is your oldest friend of the trio and it is important that you spend time with her so she can help you get the Cloak of Spiders later. You may gain Strength from Monk levels in the future, and also learn some Arcana in other ways.

You chat with Theo, Jess, and Gale during the trip. Gale tells you about how she became a Thief and about Mazrim, the Lord who is currently her mother's abusive employer. Jess recalls her past attending the Academy of Wizards. Theo mentions he was blamed for the death of his Chief's daughter, and thus he has left his Clan. You give Theo much sympathy over this, while not letting on that you already know he was not at all to blame. You give Theo flowers you find and spend many nights making out with Theo in his tent, but never go all the way.

Fate then brings you to a familiar incident.

- "Where's my ring?"

You are all walking through dense undergrowth, leading your mounts on foot. Gale looks down at her feet in a way that looks extremely guilty. She flashes you an "Oops!" Thieves' Cant gesture. You are barely able to suppress a groan of surprise.

Theo grumbles as he checks his pack and pockets.

- "It's not that expensive. But it belonged to my father. I think he won it in a dice game, or something."

You shake your head when Theo looks at you. You have seen the ring Theo is talking about, a brass piece of little value, and you know he will give it to you later. Gale has it now- should you betray her?

Another voice interjects before you can decide.

- "Looks like our Thief has been plying her trade."

Jess speaks without a smile or any visible change in expression. Her words cause Theo to release the reins of his Horse and turn toward Gale.

Gale flashes you the "I need a distraction" and "Help!" Thieves' Cant signals. You have only seconds to intervene. You knew what to do here before, but now you have taken an oath to never steal before the Good Gods! You realize your possible folly in doing so. Will the Good Gods want you to support a friend's theft, even that of a friend whose help you will one day need?

1. Say, "Back off, Theo. Gale would never steal from a friend."

2. Say, "Easy! I'm sure it's all a misunderstanding."

3. Say, "Gale looks guilty as sin. I think Jess is right."

4. Lie, "You know, I think I saw Jess with a new ring."

5. Remain quiet.

Last time we said this was all a misunderstanding. I'm not sure if our new anti-theft vow, which I did for the Good bonus, will give that any penalties now- my gut says no, but I am uncertain about proceeding and thus seeking readers' help. We can recover our lost Gale Relations if we call her out here and it will also give us increased Theo & Jess Relations (Current Levels Theo 100, Gale 80, Jess 49). I am not mandating that we should do that, but IMO last time there was too little debate. If you want to confirm the previous decision, that is also fine. We still can't get Jess's backstory Sidequest even with the increased Relations Option 3 will bring. :shrug: I crossed out the last two options as outside Renata's character IMO. The Relations penalties for them will compromise things I want to attempt later.

Please let me know if you want to do anything different. Retcon continues later tonight pending votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Not 100% sure but I think the vow just straight up does not let you steal rather than penalizing you if you do - certain options just won't be there.

• Locked thread