Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

As much as I enjoyed passive aggression, taking 3. and publicly calling gale out is new territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Avalerion posted:

Not 100% sure but I think the vow just straight up does not let you steal rather than penalizing you if you do - certain options just won't be there.

Yeah, that has been my experience as well with characters who have taken the vow in the past such as Dragon Rider / Knight Champion Leah the Almost-Paladin. I'm just unsure because I've never supported Gale's theft while taking the vow that I can remember. I usually like calling Gale out on her theft because stealing from the Party is not cool and I have surplus Relations for her via Romance or acting nice in general. I can get those Relations to just the Level we need for the Cloak of Spiders regardless of a loss here, but my one worry is the God of Mischief's Shrine. If you leave its Gold alone, Gale doesn't like it, and I'm not sure the Good Gods grant a theft exception to reclaiming that GP for a better cause. I'd like that Cloak! :)

Maybe I should find out and make up the Relations ahead of time with Gale's Stealth training in Elmvale later. I was going to go with Theo's Strength or Endurance Training there instead of the Druid Hunting (keeping our original loss from the Mischief Shrine before we discovered the bug there, we can still get all the GP we need in other ways). Hmm, if votes swing that way, I may try that. Monk Bill was ok without the extra Strength/Endurance from Theo IIRC and I only want them for long term benefits I might still win with even if I do suffer from not having them later. Then again, my memories of Bill are hazy like the Moors of Western Daria. :laugh:

Only counting Fooly Charged's vote- Option 3- for new territory at the moment. I didn't see a vote from Avalerion (confirm your previous choice of Option 2 if you like).

Fooly Charged- I take it by your silence you're ok with my Crocodile plans. Thanks. If anyone does know of a special use for the Crocodile, please let me know and I'll try to show that off somehow after Karla acquires it. I would like to find one for a future LH run. My previous Druid character Prince Noah went with that Mount in his second life and never found anything while his other lives' Giant Worm and Dragon had plenty of special bonuses (and yes, I'll mention those also down the road).

If anyone hasn't guessed yet, Dorion is recruiting people to help train our Companions in Ludd. Guildmaster Solo will be there for Gale, Xino the Wizard Mentor for Jess, Kole the Ranger Mentor for Karla, and Sir Maxon the Knight Mentor for Theo. All are actual Lost Heir characters in origin. Maxon will also have as his Squire my personal favorite Squire character (whom my Knights almost always pick up) when he returns as part of our Army in Lost Heir 2. I'm scouting headcanons for these people, then I'll update later tonight depending on votes. Lord Cyrazhax, if you're still reading this, I will let you pick Sir Maxon's actor because you like Sir Grady. I already have people in mind for Kole, Xino, and Squire Raquel. If you can't decide I'll find someone appropriate. :)

Still taking votes regarding the last choice until the update later tonight (check previous page). That update will bring us through Winter in Elmvale and include our new retconned stats.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 1, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

achtungnight posted:

Fooly Charged- I take it by your silence you're ok with my Crocodile plans.

I am totally working on names for the gm inserted cute, not so little buddy.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
FoolyCharged- You have until we get the Crocodile to pick a name, it will be a long time since it doesn't show up till midway through LH2's third quarter. Game suggestions for Crocodile names that I recall include Toothy and Chompers. There was also a third name I can't remember. Karla's Croc, among other things, will be eating some enemy cavalry when we battle Duke Eddan's Army and chasing a certain Pirate during a battle in Lost Heir 3. He or she (you can pick gender too) may also get to eat some of Professor Porter's Demons in LH3. We'll see what else comes to mind as we progress.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I checked on my iPhone and I was wrong- we need 80 Gale Relations for the backstory, not 70. :( So we will do irreversible damage here if we reveal her theft to the party by picking Option 3 at the current choice. Thankfully there are no penalties for picking Option 2 as we did before. I will proceed thus. I also checked on the Mischief Shrine and there are no penalties for taking the Gold there, we'll still have the option. So I'm doing that again for GP gain. :) Perhaps in another run we can call out Gale for her theft (Theo forgives her, but we lose 10 Gale Relations, you'll want a surplus from Romance to benefit from Gale later on).

Not Cool, Gale! posted:

-"Easy! I'm sure it's all a misunderstanding."

Gale nods in agreement as Jess says nothing. Theo mutters to himself.

- "Maybe I lost it, Gale! But if I find out you had something to do with it, I'll tear your fingers off one at a time."

The group returns to walking through the underbrush. A few hours later, Gale walks up beside you and gives you a grin.

- "Thanks for having my back."

You frown and hold out your hand. "Stealing from your own team is not right, Gale. Especially not from Theo, the man I love. Give me the ring now and I'll make sure he gets it back. Then see that nothing like this happens again- ever. We're supposed to trust each other and fight our enemies together, okay?"

Gale nods and returns the ring, glad you did not call her out in front of everyone. You return the ring to Theo later, saying you found it on the trail. "You must have dropped it. Sorry I didn't recognize it as yours sooner."

- "Maybe I did drop it. Let's keep a close eye on that Thief just in case. I accept that you vouch for her, but I don't quite trust her yet."

You give him a nod of understanding.

After counseling Gale for her theft from Theo and returning Theo's ring- again- you proceed to the Som'Reth Ruins. This time you fall prey to the Quicksand obstacle because you are no longer a Druid.

The Horses have a difficult time going through the thick foliage, but you can tell from the map that you're getting very close to your destination. There is some controversy as to what a particular symbol means on the map. Theo thinks it indicates a good camping location, just outside of the former Som'reth stronghold. Jess thinks it might mean a marsh of some kind.

The meaning becomes instantly clear when your foot sticks to the ground. You look around as the forest seems to rise slowly into the air. No, it isn't the trees that are lifting- you are sinking! You feel the cold suction of mud sticking to your legs as you descend deeper into the quicksand. Lump cries out and her eyes widen in fright as her front legs sink into the mud. The Mule tries to pull the reins from your hand, but you hold on tightly. She panics, pulling the reins out of your hand as she steps back and out of danger, leaving you to sink. (Needed 40 Geography, 45 Perception, Druid level, better Mount, or 40 Strength)

Luckily, your companions are there to help you. Theo passes you the handle of his enormous warhammer. You grab the haft tightly as he pulls you out. Unfortunately, your Sleeping Roll is lost in the nearly fatal mud. You spend some time trying to fish it out, but have no luck. Eventually, you and your Companions are forced to go around the danger, approaching the Som'Reth Ruins from a different angle.
(Lost Sleeping Roll)

1. Whisper, "Theo, I lost my Sleeping Roll; think we could share yours?"

2. Quietly remind Gale that you are a Princess and that she should give you her Sleeping Roll.

3. Say nothing.

This is an easy choice. :heysexy: Note that we lost 3 Nature from our original stats for not having a Druid Level.

The Ruins posted:

-"Theo, I lost my Sleeping Roll; think we could share yours?"

The large Fighter grins and nods at your comment.
(Theo Relationship +3)

You continue onwards to the Ruins after the Quicksand Event.

You take out the Consortium Guards camped outside the Ruins with a Stinking Cloud followed by a Fireball. You are using Magic for now, but will improve Unarmed when it seems safe to do so. Magic remains your utility and ranged attack option.

The use of Fireball prompts a change in the conclusion of the fight with the Guards.

-Attempt to blast the Guards with a Fireball.

The Magic words spill from your lips as you weave intricate symbols with your hands. Small orange sparks gather and swirl between your palms as the Magic builds. The sparks form into an intense hot ball in your hand. You pull it back above your shoulder and then throw. It explodes into the enemy camp, throwing the Guards in all directions. Two of them clearly do not get back onto their feet, their corpses still on fire.
(Magic +3 retained, one Male Fighter and one Female Fighter Guard dead instead of the three from before. One of each gender Fighter and both Mages still up, latter recovered from Stinking Cloud now)

Theo tries to smash one of the Mages with his large hammer, but the Guard dodges the near-fatal blow. Theo gets him on the follow-up strike and puts him down. Suddenly, Jess screams loudly. A twin pair of bright white beams streak from her eyes and connect directly to the eyes of one of the Guards. The female Fighter begins to scream immediately as a look of terror washes over her face. She drops to the ground, black holes still pouring smoke where her pupils used to be. The white beams vanish as Jess hangs her head in exhaustion. Theo takes out the second Mage, aided by a Magic Missile you send streaking that enemy's way.

The remaining Guard drops his Sword and runs. Before anyone can do anything, he has vanished into the trees. A scream comes from the direction of the fleeing man. You watch as Gale steps out of the trees with blood on her Dagger and a grin on her face. She shrugs casually.

- "Got him."

After the Guards are defeated, you take their Gold as you did before but leave their Swords behind. You will not be developing Skill with Blades much, and while a Dagger has hidden benefits, your best close-range weapon is your Unarmed attacks.

Inside the Ruins, you explain to the rest of the party what the Tyborr Statue means and acquire the Tyborr Demon Stone with help from Theo. You then flee from the Ceiling Monster and help Theo loot the Ruins Antechamber. This does not count as stealing, as the Som'Reth long ago departed from this Plane of existence. You get the Gem of Seeing once again.

After departing the Ruins, you return to Elmvale, pick up a Good point for offering to pay Sister Geri for lodging the Party, reveal your true identity to everyone, and then invite Theo to share your bedroom. This time, you and he go all the way. Not doing so didn't really change anything before, and your desire for Theo has overcome you as you relived your Relationship with him.

-Take Theo into your bed.

With the privacy of a room with an actual door, the months you've spent together with Theo culminates into a night of passion that is worthy of a bard's ballad. Despite his large size, he is a surprisingly gentle lover. You get very little sleep that night.

In the morning, you again inform Theo he will need to tell you his full backstory soon. At breakfast, you accept Karla into the party. You then divide the treasure from the Som'Reth Ruins and take your share, the Gem of Seeing included.

At the shops, you donate 20, then 10 GP to the needy for Good points, then pick up another Good point from Jowal along with his Charm bonus, bringing you to 70/30 Good, just enough for helping Suno. You buy Jowal's History and Geography Knowledge books, save your money by not buying the Arcana book, get the Peddler's information about your Demon Stones, then go to see Suno. This creates new developments when you offer to help the Weapon Master get healing.

I decided to save money by avoiding the Arcana book and sleep with Theo here for alternate content now and guarenteed pregnancy later. If you are Romancing Karla or Jess, speaking to them during Winter in Elmvale will prompt them to consummate their Romance with you. If you forget to speak with them, you'll get an event that does the same thing before you leave town. It's possible Jess waits till that event, I can't recall for sure.

Regarding Suno, I messed up by not donating GP in appropriate increments. You get 1 Good for 10 GP, 2 for 25. You can also get 2 Good by donating 10 GP twice, saving 5 GP. I tried to get 2 Good all at once and the game didn't let me. Oh well, losing another 10 is no big deal. [fingers crossed]

Let's help Suno!

Winter Changes posted:

- "The Temple charges 50 Gold as a donation for healing me. You willing to pay?"

- Say, "Okay, I'll cover the cost." (Needs 50 Gold)

You agree to pay and together you walk to the Temple. The Priest happily takes the donation.
(Gold -50)

The Priest places his hands on Suno's stomach and prays to Auriel for forgiveness and healing. A healing glow spreads across the wound and Suno's eyes open in surprise and gratitude.

- "Thank you so much, Renata."

Ask, "Can you teach me to use some of the weaponry you carry?"
-Say goodbye.

Suno again gives you tactical advice regarding Thuja after you help him. He also promises to repay your favor someday if he can.

- "The Weapon Masters of Opal Cove will hear of what you did for me."

As winter continues, you claim your Signet Ring from Sister Geri. You also get full information from her about the Eye of Heaven. You talk to Theo, Gale, and Karla about their personal ambitions, as you did before. With Jess, you do not press her to talk to you about her past. Instead, you ask her about how she grew up and then let her trail off regarding her Academy experiences. To your mild surprise, she only pauses for a moment, then resumes ranting again. Perhaps it would have been better originally to simply let her speak?

- "When I was a child, my father and I voyaged all over Daria. The Norgan, the Wilderness, all four Duchies. It was just me and my father. My mother died giving birth to me. You can guess who people blamed. I'm glad you don't treat me like that.

"We finally stopped at the Academy of Wizards. Father used his life savings to get me admitted. I hoped to make him proud. Then..."

She pauses, then speaks again after you remain silent.

- "You want to hear, don't you? I can tell. Fine. The Academy was good for me, at first. I learned a lot about Magic, as any Wizard would. I wanted to find a way to fit in- the other Wizards were curious about me and willing to help train me. Traditional Magic was hard for me at first, but my Soulburning power helped, as did the Academy's great amount of arcane texts. I even found some books on how to renew my Soul power.

"Then Cumari, the Archmage who admitted me, lost his position. The new Archmage, Bolwen, took office, and expelled me because I was a Soulburner. My father protested, particularly when Bolwen refused to refund my tuition. Bolwen said I was an abomination and framed me for cheating on my exams. I was getting close to becoming a powerful Wizard. I had made many studies on the renewing of a Soul. But Bolwen didn't care. He just wanted me gone."

"Master Bolwen retired last year," you recall. "Cumari's back in charge now."

- "I know. I don't see why I should present myself and try to get back into the Academy, though. Even if you were willing to intercede for me, I doubt it would happen. Besides, after what Bolwen did to my father..."

"What?" you ask.

Jess pauses, then sighs and answers.

- "After Bolwen kicked me out of the Academy, my father tried to steal a book on Soul renewal from the Academy Library for me. Bolwen caught my father and killed him. He said it was self-defense. I know otherwise. I confronted Bolwen at the time, challenged him to a Magical duel even though I was just a lass of seventeen, two years younger than I am now."

Jess pauses again, then sighs, rolls up her sleeve, and shows you a network of scars on her left arm.

- "Bolwen didn't kill me, but he gave me these. He then ordered me to leave the Academy. My Magic was not strong enough to challenge his back then. One day, when I am powerful enough, if I ever see Bolwen again, it will be different. I will go up to Bolwen, and I will say to him- 'Hello, my name is Jess Solway. You killed my father. Prepare to die!' And I will fulfill that promise."

You nod at her in encouragement. "I've heard similar plans from Gale and Theo."

- "We all have our nemeses. Now, you didn't come here just to talk about my past. What else do you want?"

You ask Jess to train you in History. She accepts and provides the requested training. You also are training with Sister Geri for the winter as you did before. You leave your third training slot open for the moment.

Later the same day you speak to Jess, you meet Dorion at the Adventurer's Guild in Elmvale. As requested, he has brought along friends to better train your companions during the winter. His associates are a Knight named Sir Maxon, a Ranger named Kole, and a Wizard named Xino. All are willing to aid your companions and pleased to meet you, especially after you tell them your true identity as Princess and show them your Signet Ring, which glows in a way Sir Maxon recognizes to confirm the truth of your words.

Dorion could not find a worthy Thief, but Guildmaster Solo steps up when you approach him that night outside Jowal's cart.

Kole is the Ranger Mentor we would have gotten if we could have taken a Ranger Level in Ludd. He's played by Ian McShane. Xino is the Wizard who would have been our Wizard Mentor in Ludd, he's played by Paul Ben-Victor. You have to meet Kole to become a Ranger in LH1, otherwise a Hunter is all you can be later in LH2 (I think) even if you have the Bow Skill to Hunt successfully at later Class Levels. You can get a Wizard Level in LH2 without Xino, it just costs money in most places and you need to have acquired a Spellbook already too. The Academy, Archmage Cumari, a Wilderness Witch, or a Wizard in Tornassa can serve as Wizard Mentors where Xino was not present. The only area where you can't get a Wizard Level in LH2 without a pre-exisitng Level is the Norgan. You'll need a Wizard Level to unlock the Mystical Mountain with the Elemental Vortex there and no replacement exists. Monks can still meditate alone in the Mountains if they don't know about the Eye of Heaven, but the Eye of Heaven provides better bonuses and you'll only know about it if you played a Monk in LH1.

Sir Maxon (Karl Urban) is the Knight Mentor who trains your Lost Heir character as a Squire if you picked Sir Grady as Mentor. You need Grady's connections to meet Maxon, so no Squire levels without the old Knight. Grady himself is retired, but he can still provide great training in Sword and slightly less in Bow before directing you Maxon's way. I'll show off some of the Knight Class through Maxon. We can still see it firsthand in a second run here, maybe. I do like that Class.

Companion Training posted:

You make arrangements for Dorion's friends to train your Companions during the winter. Dorion is sorry to hear you have no one interested in becoming a Druid with you, but he says he'll get used to disappointment. The others all agree to help out where they can.

Guildmaster Solo will train Gale further as a Thief.

- "Gale's already impressed me a lot. I like her spirit. Sometimes I want to kill her, but... she reminds me of my wife, Guildmistress Organa in Brightwater. I'll train her as much as I can."

"Let Karla sit in on your trapfinding lessons," you suggest. "Extra Devices could help her make an Infinity Arrow for herself someday as she dreams. Dorion, can you show her some Nature Magic? That would also help."

- "Alright, Princess. Perhaps Karla will become an Artificer one day. I have met her and she has the foundations, although she needs to develop the confidence to unlock her Magic spark."

You thank Dorion, then turn to Kole. "Karla won't become a Druid. She's not interested. But can you train her as a Ranger? She's quite good with a Bow."

- "I suppose I should meet Karla first."

Kole meets Karla and is impressed when she demonstrates her Archery to him. Even without her new Gloves of Archery, Karla is able to hit two consecutive bullseyes on an Archery target and then split Kole's bullseye shot down the middle. He grins.

- "You're Ranger material all right! What kind of Animal Companion and favored enemies would you like?"

Karla tells him she'll think about it. She has all winter to decide.

Sir Maxon is interested in training Theo.

- "Glad to meet you, Princess. I was once Squire to Sir Grady, a comrade of your parents. Maybe if he were still alive and able to introduce us sooner, you would have been my Squire. I would have given you a Sword and shown you how to use it. You might have gotten a free Horse too. I think Sister Geri has done a good job with you in Grady's absence.

"As for your Norgan companion, I'll spar with him and the Rogue girl Gale too. I can show them a few tricks with Blades. You're welcome to join in if you like."

You decline. Suno steps in and joins the training too, however, to your surprise. Later you learn Theo gambled with him in the Full Cup Inn and won free training in a dice game.

- "I think Theo might become a Weapon Master someday. He's already very good with that hammer. He won't be the first Norgan we've trained. He'll need to visit Opal Cove for full study, but I think he might qualify. Just make sure he gets some extra Agility in the future if you can, to be sure."

"I will. Thanks."

Xino is a middle-aged Wizard who wears the traditional robes covered in stars and crescent moons. He shakes your hand and reminsces with you about Harmond, a mutual Mentor in your pasts.

- "Are you interested in developing your Magic further, Princess Renata?"

"No, Xino," you reply. "I didn't bring you here for me, although I'll accept any entries you want to make to my Spellbook and practice with them. You're mainly here for another Wizard in my Party. How do you feel about Soulburners?"

Xino thinks for a moment, then shrugs.

- "I'm ok with them. I was a junior Professor at the Academy a few years ago, and a Soulburner was one of the hardest working students I had. That bastard Arch-Mage Bolwen expelled her over some trumped-up charges of cheating. A few months later, he sacked me too. I disagreed with him publicly over whether the Academy should admit Demi-Humans. Bolwen didn't think they could work Magic as well as Humans. I reminded him Dwarven Artificing, Gnome Illusion, Elven Spellweaving, Orc Shamanism, Merfolk Hydro-Mancy, and Halfling Trapcrafting are all valid forms of Magic. Bolwen told me my views and services were no longer required at the Academy. Lousy piece of..."

You interrupt his rant. "I think you and Jess are going to get along just fine."

- "Jess? Jess Solway? Oh, I would so like to work with her again!"

Jess remembers Xino well from her Academy days and is thrilled at their reunion, though not enough to award you any bonus Relations with her. Xino agrees to spend the winter teaching Jess to refine her Soulburning-fueled Magic. She will learn to launch it in the usual Magic Missiles and intense beams along with rapid fire energy pulses and balls of explosive energy. All this she will be able to enact at minimal cost to her own life force. Her traditional Magic Skill will also improve somewhat. Xino is pleased with her continued diligence regarding his training. He pens a few new spells in your Spellbook too.

- "This acid trick works well against sea monsters. A Mermaid taught it to me. Oh, and you'll want Meteor Swarm too. I'm surprised Harmond didn't already have it in here. I'll also add Power Word Stun and Power Word Blind."

Xino is an expert in Conjuration. He makes sure Jess learns Stinking Cloud, Ice Storm, and other spells she did not know before.

All your companions are able to train effectively with their new Mentors during the winter. Karla gains a Level in Ranger from Kole and also trains with Dorion and Guildmaster Solo. Gale gains another Level in Thief from Solo and spars with Theo also. Jess gains another Level in Wizard from Xino, while Theo gains another Level in Fighter aided by his diverse Mentors Suno and Sir Maxon. You train with Sister Geri in Monk Skills and with Jess in History.

The winter in Elmvale is very productive. Unfortunately, you are now unable to Hunt for profit, as you lack 50 Nature and a Druid Level or a Bow. This forces you to reconsider your third Training Slot after agreeing to train in Unarmed with Sister Geri and History with Jess.

Theo reminds you he wanted you to work out with him before. Jess also offers to let you sit in on her training with Xino. Karla and Gale are now too occupied to show you anything themselves.

You need a Bow or a Druid Level and 50 Nature to Hunt for profit in Elmvale. Otherwise it just gets you 50 GP rather than 200 and a little Archery & Nature. Not worth it IMO. Since we have a Training slot open now, I'll allow readers to pick how to fill it. We're narrowing things down too. Karla's and Gale's Training is not worth it to our Build. Nor is Suno's even though we can get it now. I'd rather have free Weapon Masters in LH2 and max out Magic through Successful Checks.

We're already Training with Sister Geri and getting History from Jess. That leaves-

Winter Training Options posted:

1. Lift Weights with Theo (+10 Strength, +3 Theo Relations).

2. Jog with Theo (+10 Endurance, +3 Theo Relations).

3. Study Magic with Jess (+5 Magic. +10 Arcana, +3 Jess Relations).

4. Get a Job Cutting Wood (+40 GP, +5 Strength & Endurance, +3 Nature).

I think I am correct about the Magic with Jess benefits. I'm not completely sure. If DevilDragon is still around, they can correct me again. I verified the Theo and woodcutting benefits on my iPhone, Steam probably isn't too different.I am inclined to get the Strength here. We'll pick up extra Endurance in the Norgan when we take our third Monk Level. But if you have a better idea, I'll consider that advice.

I'm not getting the Arcana book from Jowal. I think there are ways to make up for it and we have enough Arcana. We don't have enough GP for it now since we helped Suno anyway. Oh well. I can still consider getting Arcana & Magic from Jess here if you like.

I looked back at Bill's stats and he did not have the Geography for Dragon Riding after all. I'll still show that off with Lord Tovar as best I can if Renata doesn't get it. We can still maybe get a Dragon in our second run too. Renata will probably end up with a Dreadhorse if she takes an Epic Mount at all.

One other issue to settle before I leave Elmvale again. Do we want to keep Lump or get the Endurance for selling her and walking? Lump does something epic in LH2 if you take her to the Norgan, so I'm inclined to let her go out with a bang before she's sold in favor of a faster Horse. Unless we want the Endurance. Let me know. Keep Lump? Yes/No

Thanks in advance, see you tomorrow around 1700 CST.

Current New Stats posted:

Renata the Adept Monk, Lost Princess Heir of Daria.

Health: 100%

Specialized Training: Monk Levels: 2

MORALITY:
Good: 70% Evil: 30%

ABILITIES:
Agility: 43%
Charm: 49%
Endurance: 23%
Perception: 64%
Strength: 26%
Willpower: 23%

SKILLS:
Archery: 3%
Devices: 3%
Magic: 70%
Blades: 3%
Stealth: 16%
Unarmed: 59%

KNOWLEDGE:
Arcana: 61%
Geography: 46%
History: 56%
Nature: 48%
Religion: 68%

RELATIONSHIPS:
Sister Geri: 100% +
Theo: 100% +
Gale: 96%
Karla: 88%
Jess: 57%

INVENTORY
Your mount, a stubborn mule named Lump.

- a pouch on your belt containing 87 gold
- a spellbook
- a dagger in your sleeve

A backpack containing:
- a black runebag with 4 glowing stones and 1 unglowing stone in it
- a rope
- a water skin
- flint and steel

You are wearing:
- the bone Necklace of Nature around your neck (+20 Bonus to Nature)
- the Gem of Seeing in your pocket (+20 Bonus to Perception)
- your family signet ring, on a chain, around your neck (+3 to All)

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 1, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

lift weights with theo and keep our boy lump

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Keep Lump then, didn't know there's anything special for it later. :D

Would probably go with jogging for endurance over strength, think Renata is more likely to max that.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Keep Lump and build endurance.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, I'll build Endurance. Strength is kind of a dump stat for Monks, anyway (whereas it's easy to Max for Thugs, the other primary Unarmed Class). I'm mainly trying to help Renata avoid Demon Traits later through building physical attributes. I know Bill was ok even with his low Strength, 100 Unarmed compensated, but Renata will have one less Monk level, so we'll see. Not going to retcon again and get more Strength from Theo by cancelling the Gale Relations I don't need, that is too much trouble and not worth it.

Lump- Well, the situation I'm talking about is actually something any Mount can do, not just Lump. But for Lump to do it... No spoilers, you'll know what I mean when it comes up.

Working on next update to finish out the retcon now. I'll have it up later this morning if I can, then tonight maybe get to some actual progress back in Vernex. We'll see.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Alright, let's finish this retcon with a few new developments, mainly related to meta-gaming.

Winter Wrap-up posted:

You pick your third Training slot.

- "Let's Jog in the Evenings, Theo."

The large man agrees.

- "Ya, I suppose it's important to keep in shape."
(Endurance +10 and Theo Relationship +3)

You do many things during your time in Elmvale. You train with Sister Geri in the mornings, study history with Jess in the afternoons, go jogging with Theo in the evenings, and spend your nights alone with Theo in your room.

The nights with Theo help the jogging provide Endurance in many ways. :heysexy:

There are a few other developments besides these in Elmvale. First, Jowal the Peddler does some additional research regarding your Tyborr Demon Stone. He is aided by Xino, who finds a stolen Academy of Wizards textbook among Jowal's merchandise and uses it to help Jess learn some additional Magic.

- "Xino recognized the name Tyborr from his own research regarding the Som'Reth. We correlated our information and have a report for you, Princess."

Xino presents the report.

- "Tyborr is the name of a Som'Reth Wizard. I read about him in the Academy's library books on the Som'Reth. There are a few texts in the Restricted Section. Tyborr was a leader among the Som'Reth people and a powerful Mage indeed. He died millennia ago around the same time as the rest of the Som'Reth disappeared from Daria, or so it's believed. They may have named him after this Stone's Demon, I know they did that sometimes with their children. The Consortium of Planewalkers probably knows more about Tyborr than the Academy. The name on this unglowing Stone, K'Glote... I don't recognize that name, sorry. I won't Summon either Demon, but if you meet someone who can, and who can control them, you could find out more."

It will be a very long time before you can get more concrete information about Tyborr or the Demon Lord tied to the unglowing Stone, whose name you are pretty certain both Jowal and Xino are not pronouncing correctly. But you hope you will one day be able to find out.

Xino and Jess work their Magic with the local Horse breeders in Elmvale during the Winter. This helps the breeders and trains Jess further in Magic and Arcana. She even uses an Endurance spell to help Lump, without you asking for one. Jess is still cold and haughty, though, the majority of the time.

Solo says Gale is a great Thief and may be a Guildmistress someday. She says something about other plans when you ask her if that's what she wants.

Kole expresses pleasure at Karla's progress.

- "You'll make a fine Ranger, Karla. Maybe they'll even call you a Horizon Walker someday. That's a special title given only to the highest level Rangers. There are no special subquests I know of related to Rangers, but you can still get great Geography and Nature from being one, Archery too. And there's also your Animal Companion. You can have one, possibly two if you get the right Mount."

- "I think I'd like something large with a lot of teeth. Or maybe something small and playful, like a Tanuki. A winged scout might be great too. Can you suggest anything?"

- "Teeth, huh? I know Crocodiles lurk in the Swamps near Opal Cove, that would definitely qualify. Tanuki can be found near the Academy of Wizards, they also have Griffons and Owlbears. Around Ludd, there are Foxes, Bobcats, and Hawks. In the Norgan, you can get Wolves and Snowy Owls. There's no special animals around Tornassa, there could have at least been a Stray Dog or something. Brightwater has Turtles, Seagulls, and Mice. There may also be more exotic animals elsewhere, I don't know."

Dorion adds two animals to the list.

- "I met a Bear in the Wilderness that took a shine to me once. I also met a Forest Worm in the Elf Lands. I ended up rejecting them both for Banyon, my Elk."

Karla agrees to consider all possible Animal Companions. For her favored enemies as Ranger, she picks Giants and Undead. Kole shows her tricks against both.

- "For Giants, aim your Arrows at their tendons. That can put them down quickly. For Undead, well..."

Sister Geri gives some advice there.

- "Undead have the same pressure points as living humans, they just need to be hit harder and with more precision. You have the Archery for that, Karla. You'll just need to put it to use."

Gale asks Sister Geri to show her the same tricks regarding Undead. She agrees and also shows them to you.

- "You don't have the Unarmed for bone-smashing yet, Renata, but you're well on your way. One more Monk level, a few free hits, and you can start succeeding at Unarmed attacks, I think."

"You aren't sure, Sister?"

Sister Geri relates her favorite Monk story.

- "In a small village in Daria, a boy gets a new Horse. Everyone is pleased and enthusiastic about the gift except for the local Monk. She says 'We'll see how it works out.' The boy falls off the Horse the first time he rides it and breaks his leg. Everyone except the Monk is dismayed. The Monk says 'We'll see how it works out.' Later that season, Mad King Gareth's troops come by drafting people for a pointless war. They skip the boy even though he's of age due to his broken leg. The Horse saved his life, probably. The Monk says 'We'll see how it works out.'"

You discern the story's moral, aided by your Monk Perception. "There's good and bad in every situation. But it's not always evident at the time."

Sister Geri smiles.

- "Correct, Renata. Now, come, I need to show you that Dim Mak Ki Strike trick I know once again. I fear I am not long for this world."

You hope Sister Geri is incorrect in her last statement, but the loss of your parents has inured you to the inevitability of death, so you say nothing about it. Later that day, Sir Maxon adds his own commentary on Theo.

- "You're a great potential Squire, Theo. I've never heard of a Knight with a Norgan Squire, but if you want me to be the first, I can come with you to Vernex."

Theo declines.

- "I think we'll be ok with just the six of us, Maxon- Renata, Gale, Jess, Karla, Sister Geri, and me. Thanks anyway. I'd rather be a Weapon Master than a Squire, and Suno has told me the way."

Sir Maxon shrugs.

- "Okay then. I'll keep looking for another Squire. The next Knight Tournament is in Dobbin, a small village near Brightwater. I'll be competing- I want the Gold and glory. Maybe I'll meet a worthy Squire there too."

You ask Sir Maxon about Knight Tournaments.

- "Knights use Tournaments to hone our Skills. You need to be a Squire or a Knight to compete. If a Squire wins a Tournament, they can become a Knight. There are usually three events- Archery, Jousting with a Mount, and Grand Melee with Blades. The latter event counts the most.

"You'll need good Blades Skill to win at Grand Melee, and Archery for Archery. For Jousting, you'll want good Strength & Endurance, or a great Mount. I recall a Knight I knew in Ludd was neglecting to train his Horse and gave it up to some peasant boy named Remus who sold it for food. Remus probably could have trained the Horse himself and done something great with it later, too bad he was an idiot. I interviewed Remus and some other potential Squires in Ludd. Remus I tried to train, but he washed out. There was also an old man I didn't consider, and a Noble girl named Marla who was too haughty for my taste. I think she said something about going to Vernex to join the Consortium when I spurned her as Squire.

"Another young girl in Ludd showed promise, an Armorer's daughter named Raquel. Her parents wouldn't let her train with me, though- she was too young. Maybe we'll meet again someday.

"One more thing. You need Good Morality to become a Knight. We have a code of chivalry that must be followed. I've heard rumors some Knights act Evil, then worship Evil Gods and become Dark Knights after decieving the Knighthood, but that's surely poppycock! Any Knight who tried that would be caught sooner or later- unless of course they were mighty enough to kill the Knight who caught them, they would never survive for long!"

Jethro is sitting nearby in the Full Cup Inn when Sir Maxon makes this declaration. He smiles strangely. You feel slightly better you did not make Jethro a Knight again in your second life.

You have the same prophetic dreams during the winter you did before. There are no new details as of yet. Sister Geri also mentions once being in love with someone named Stanton, but will not give you further details. She suggests you return to Elmvale someday and check her room at the Temple for a letter. That will explain everything. You agree to wait for that time to come. Sister Geri also reminds you about the Elven Cleric Naistalan Mulibar, adding that she may be pronouncing his last name wrong since it is Elvish and hard to spell. You again express interest in meeting Naistalan someday in the Elven City of Oneiduin.

When winter concludes, your Party bids farewell to Dorion, Suno, Kole, Solo, Xino, and Sir Maxon. They agree to someday meet you again and provide further assistance to you and your companions if they can. All are eager to see you become Queen of Daria one day, as it should rightfully be. Your Party thanks them for their training. You then start your journey to Vernex. All your friends are riding Horses. You are riding Lump the Mule, and no one has a problem with this. There is one new development, however.

You have everything you think you need and join your friends.

Lump, your Mule, watches the other animals calmly, eager to get some exercise after a long winter of inactivity.

Sister Geri gets your attention all of a sudden.

- "You never did replace that Sleeping Roll, did you?"

You glance to where Sister Geri is looking and see that a new Sleeping Roll has been put into one of your saddlebags. It's an embarrassing start to your trip, to have forgotten something so important, but Sister Geri smiles fondly all the same. It just shows that you'll always be a child in her eyes.
(Sister Geri Relationship +3)

The Goddess Fate acclerates time to speed up your journey to Vernex, but cannot alter the timing of its conclusion. During the journey, you again encounter the caravan of Duke Uddo's staff. This time you ask them...

-"Will High Chancellor Zusak be there for the Dukes' Big Vote too?"

The man you're speaking with nods.

- "Sure he will. He's hosting the event and putting forth the Vote, whatever it is. We'll hear about its results before we even reach the mountains."

Your Party discusses the Vote and then agrees once again to attempt to reach Vernex more quickly via the underground path Karla knows about. You again head for that path, assuring Theo that Karla knows the way.

Once inside the Caves, you again examine the God of Mischief's Shrine and take its Gold for your own. You then again point out the corridor to Shadi's Evil Temple using your Perception. You will drop Perception in favor of something else like History when you have enough for the Seer Class at 75.

Inside the Evil Temple, you again defeat the Skeletons with Magic aided by your Party (they are more efficient this time thanks to their increased training, but there are no significant changes in the battle), have Gale double-check your Devices check on the Pedestal, then have Karla shoot down the Cloak for you. Again, you claim the Cloak of Spiders while your companions claim the Chest of Gems & Gold that was also there.

After leaving the Caves, you stop again at the small Village and dance with Theo at its Spring Festival. Due to your Anti-Theft Vow, the options to Steal the Rings are no longer available to you. You again hold Theo close to you in the square and increase your Religion and Charm.

Upon arrival in Vernex, you try out alternate methods of entry with the Ferry Guards and get nowhere.

- "My business is my own, now step aside."

The Guards stand up straighter at your harsh words. Several of them even go so far as to place their hands on their Runebags and Swords. Theo grins at them eagerly while Sister Geri and Karla hesitate. Jess gapes. Gale elbows you in the ribs and flashes you a Thieves' Cant gesture that means "Try something else!"

-Say, "I'm here for the Vote."

The lead Guard takes out a stack of papers filled with lists of names.

- "Which Duke are you with?"

Say...

-1. "Duke Bandar of the northern mountains."

2. "Duchess Selina of Dumain."

3. "Duke Uddo of the west."

4. "Duke Eddan of the southern plains."

5. "I'm not with any of them."

Having fun showing off alternate content here. I don't think there's any way to proceed other than saying you have an unregistered Demon Stone to sell, but you never know. Trying out Option 5 since it looks the most fun. In future runs here I may let voters pick which of the other Options to show off.

I'm the Princess, Fools! posted:

"I'm not with any of the Dukes," you say. "I am another person with great interest in this vote, someone very important." You hold up your Signet Ring and it flashes with the Magic that shows you are really Royalty. Your Party gapes en masse.

The Guard does not recognize the Magic of your Signet Ring.

- "If you are not with any of the Dukes,
then I'm afraid I can't let you in."

Another Guard blinks at the Ring, recognizing it.

- "Those Rings only shine like that for those of Daria's Royal Blood. But surely you are not of such Blood. The last King and Queen of Daria are dead, and the Lost Heir is only a peasant myth!"

Another Guard chimes in.

- "The Dukes reject and suppress that myth. We do the same. No way the Lost Heir would show up here, even if she does exist."

You do nothing to shatter their precious illusions for the moment. Instead, you-

-Say, "I have an unregistered Demonstone to sell."

The lead Guard examines your Tyborr Demon Stone, then again says he can't let you in. You bribe him with the Brahl Stone this time. He takes it and tucks it away, then lets you by. You hear an odd voice in your mind after you leave the Guards.

- "You gave my damaged Demon Stone to an unregistered human? Oh, I'm going to remember this! I owe you a favor now, Princess! If we ever meet again."

You wonder about Brahl's favor, then discern it wil be played out later. Once the ferry docks, you and your party again discuss sending two people to sneak into Zusak's private quarters. You want to argue against the idea, but Fate blocks you from doing so. Since you are now back at the point in your life where she picked you up earlier, Fate's influence over you fades. You are now, as you have always been, the Master of your Destiny, the Decision Maker who Captains your Soul.

Theo reminds you where you are now.

-
"We should send two people, so they can watch each other's backs. Renata, who do you want to lead this suicidal expedition into Zusak's private quarters?"

-Send Gale.

"Gale has the highest Stealth," you decide first. "Gale is definitely going."

Gale agrees with your choice of a leader.

- "We'll need Stealth most of all. A bit of Blades and Lockpicking might be good too." (Gale Relationship +5)

- "Who should come with me?"

The Party's attitude changes after you pick the expedition leader. No one wants to see themselves as Gale's sidekick, even though you insist that is not what you have in mind. Karla's shyness overcomes her again and she says nothing. Theo grumbles about being seen as a musclebound henchman. Jess's reaction is most interesting.

- "I've been called many things in my life by people who don't know me well. Evil Soulburner, cold-hearted monster, vampire... the worst insult of all is expendable. Please, Princess, tell me I am not expendable here!"

-Send Jess.

Jess mocks you when you pick her.

- "Sure, send along the expendable Soulburner! But yes, I'll go." (Jess Relationship -5)

You protest Jess's words. "Jess, it's not like that. I count you as a valuable member of this Party, whatever your own feelings or anyone else's. You are not expendable or Evil. I am sending you because you would be a valuable asset here. Zusak is a Wizard as well as a Demon Summoner. If he has a Magic trap in place on his quarters, you're the best one to counter it. Gale will need your help."

Gale nods in agreement.

- "Renata's right. I would prefer you come along too. Just follow my lead. Here's a Cardboard Box to use if your Stealth sucks. It's marked for delivery to Zusak's quarters from Solid Snake, the Greatest Stealth Master in all Daria. Nobody can break his enchantments!"

Jess takes the box, but still grumbles about your selection of her. Gale tries to cheer her up.

- "Let me show you some relevant Thieves' Cant for our mission. This gesture means Danger, this gesture means you see a Trap I don't. This gesture means we're about to get captured, act quickly. And if I make this gesture, it means we're in the presence of Selina, an Evil Lying Bitch."

Jess copies Gale's gestures, taking particular note of the last one. She ceases her grumbling.

- "Fine, Gale, I'll go along. What's your plan for not getting caught?"

- "Sneak around using the Box. You get inside the Box and I'll push it around. We'll trick a servant into telling us where Zusak's quarters are using Charm or a bribe, or maybe we can ask someone for a map of this Consortium Complex and use Geography. Then once we find the right room, I'll pick the lock or you can melt off the door hinges. We could smash it down too, but that might make too much noise. If there's any Guards, we'll beat them. Then we'll search Zusak's quarters and learn all we can. Then we'll meet you at that Inn over there, Renata. Ok?"

You smile at Gale's plan. "Sounds good. May Lady Luck be with both of you."

Theo, Karla, and Sister Geri also wish Gale and Jess good luck.

Gale and Jess step out into the crowd of people and disappear into the milling mob. Karla speaks upon their departure.

- "I hope they find something useful. While they're doing that, what are we going to do?"

Say-

1. "The votes are cast, so we're in no hurry now. Let's get a room first."

2. "Let's go to the Amphitheatre and hear Zusak speak to the Dukes."

3. "We have to keep up our cover. Let's see who we should speak to about selling this unregistered Demon Stone."

Option 1 means we spend a little Gold on an Inn room and wait for our infiltration team to come back. Three guesses how that goes. :laugh:

Option 2 is plot advancement. Not ready for that yet.

Option 3 (which you can still do after Option 1 or 2, but I'm doing it next update) allows you to gain some extra Gold here if you are not interested in Tyborr's Story about the Som'Reth or don't have a fanfic writer like me to show off the plot details (you also have to be a Demon Summoner for full content). We'll proceed with that option this evening. I welcome any comments, questions, or concerns before then. Use best judgement on spoilers please.

Here are our updated Stats-

Stats posted:

Stats

Renata, the Adept Monk, Daria's Lost Princess Heir

Specialized Training: 2 Monk levels.

INVENTORY
- a Pouch on your belt containing 114 Gold Pieces (GP)
- an expensive Spellbook in a special holster
- a Dagger in your sleeve

A Backpack containing:
- a black Runebag with 3 glowing Demon Stones and 1 unglowing Demon Stone in it.
- a Rope.
- a water skin.
- flint and steel.
- a sleeping roll.

You are wearing:
- your clothes
- the Gem of Seeing in your pocket (+20 Perception)
- your family Signet Ring, on a chain, around your neck (+3 to All)
- the Cloak of Spiders over your shoulders and down your back

Animal Companions, Pets, and Familiars- None.
Mounts- You are riding Lump, a stubborn Mule.

MORALITY:

ABILITIES:
Charm: 52%
Endurance: 33%
Perception: 67%

SKILLS:
Devices: 9%
Magic: 73%

KNOWLEDGE:
History: 66%
Religion: 74%

RELATIONSHIPS:
Gale, friendly Rogue 104%
Sister Geri, our Mentor 110%
Karla, Archer friend 96%
Theo, barbarian warrior, love interest 147%
Jess, Soulburner Wizard ally 55%

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

What would have been the worst Demon Stone to use for the bribe scenario earlier?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Anakha- They're all the same in the game when you give them to the Guard, IIRC. The only canon consequences are you never see the Stone you trade away again. Brahl's my personal favorite to give away since he takes 50 Willpower to control, 60 to Master. You probably won't get him under your power in LH1 since only 55 Willpower is possible in the game. You can only get Willpower to 75 in LH2 and 90 is the best I've done in LH3. Brahl's effects can usually be duplicated with enough Combat Skill (Combat is his only power, Zon'ch and Xi'atta at least have other unique utilities that Magic usually duplicates instead).

You don't want to give away the special Demon Lord Stone Zusak wants. Nor can you bribe the Guard with any Demon other than Brahl, Zon'ch, or Xi'atta. A brief explanation of the other Stones-

Tyborr you have to get in LH1. You can't use him till the final two missions of LH3, effects will be explained when we get there (a Demon Summoner buddy we'll meet will be controlling Tyborr to some extent and showing him off). He takes 80 Willpower to control, even at 90 you can't Master him. I will explain the difference below.

Xi'atta the Ice Demon takes 30/40 Willpower to control / Master (easiest earliest Demon), Zon'ch the Dust Demon takes 40 / 50 (possible in the LH1 Som'Reth Ruins, but only if you picked up the free Willpower increase as a child, otherwise you have to wait till after Winter in Elmvale), and Brahl the Combat Demon takes 50/60 (you can use him in LH1 if you got 2 of the 3 optional Willpower increases, but you can't Master him till LH2). Control means you can make the Demon do something they would have wanted to do anyway, like kill something in Brahl's case. Master means you can also get information from the Demon in certain situations. Trying to Master a Demon you can't in those situations will cost you Gold, Health, Sheep, Relations, and other resources. It's a bad idea. But you have to explore the challenges to see what happens if you don't already know. In a tense scenario like combat, the option to Summon a Demon whose name you don't know (insufficient Arcana) and whom you can't control will not appear. Thus only Xi'atta during the Sheep Journey Quest, no one more powerful. And unless you get creative (the game does give you options for that), neither Zon'ch nor Xi'atta will help you in combat. I'll let other posters or a future run here show off how they might.

Dan'daa, the plot Demon Stone you get if you don't get Tyborr, has no uses other than fluff and advancing the plot as far as I know. He's a dimwitted Demon and not very powerful. No particular Willpower level is required to use him, just like the others mentioned in the next paragraph.

In LH2, you can pick up one more Stone (Ga'bon, transparent Scout Demon who can walk through walls), and in LH3, you can pick up 4 more (Moff- a flying version of Brahl-, plus a Demon Mount and Familiar you can name, and one more I can't remember). You only get these Stones if you specialize in Demon Summoning. I'll show off what I can remember with our Demon Summoner buddy in that game. We'll create that character and their nemesis when we get to LH3.

For the Guard to whom we gave Brahl, Brahl is the worst Demon to give up as a bribe. You'll see why at the end of LH1. I wish what happens will be something that can actually happen in the canon game. :laugh: I would have done similar effects with Xi'atta and Zon'ch, of course.

A few new policies I thought about between updates.

1. We are now in a mode where most updates will be me advancing to a point that seems appropriate. Size will vary. We will be on autopilot in most encounters, but where there might be more than one way to proceed and I am unsure which is best, I will still ask and hope for votes. Some Choices will be essentially Kill Enemy with Magic or Unarmed. Others may propose varying strategies for accomplishing a goal. In the latter, I may have an idea how I want to proceed, but I can still be talked around to a better plan or maybe someone remembers the required Stats for a Check better than me. So please post your ideas if you can. False choices with different flavor text from each Option will almost always get votes.

2. I am going to get Unarmed a little higher where I'm sure I can, advance Magic otherwise. Afterwards Magic will become Renata's Utility, Defense, and Ranged Attack Option, while Unarmed will be her close-range Attack. I will also show off the Dagger's hidden benefits at least once since we grabbed it.

3. I will strive for one update a day around 1700 CST, maybe later if I have extra time that day. No more than one a day though, unless I am answering questions like in this update. I will craft each update with the utmost care. If I don't advance on a particular day, well, there will be extra time to consider and vote on a strategy, then make a better update for the next day. That is usually good.

4. Comments and feedback are always welcome. Please use your best judgement on spoilers or tags. I am now attempting to strike a balance between spoilers and fun in my fanfic bits. Same for answering questions like I'm doing here. Most of the information on Demon Summoning above won't come up in game till LH3, so it's safe to mention it now.

These policies will continue throughout the remainder of Renata's run through the rest of the Lost Heir Trilogy. There will be a break between games to review and advertise the next part of the series. At these times, viewers will be invited to post their own reviews if they like. You are also welcome to do so throughout.

The Cast Post is now updated with all prominent new faces from this update and the previous one. I didn't include Solo because we may or may not see him again. Please let me know if you are not looking at the Cast Post or feel we don't need it. If it gets too big or bothersome, I may stop updating it. I'd forgotten how many characters these games have. :sigh:

Real update later tonight. I'll get what questions I can in between. It will be the last update before I resume my workweek.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, the last update caught us up. Now let us proceed. This update is mainly teasers and setup for stuff in LH2 and 3 with a bit of content from LH1 that shows off selling the Tyborr Demon Stone. There's a few things we can do in Vernex before LH1's inevitable final boss.

When Last We Left Our Heroine... posted:

"We have to keep up our cover," you tell Sister Geri, Theo, and Karla after Gale and Jess leave to investigate Zusak's chambers. "Let's see who we should speak to about selling this unregistered Demon Stone."

Theo nods.

- "I too have an unregistered Demon Stone I'd like to sell. Jowal told me its Demon was weak, so it shouldn't be too dangerous to dispose of it."

Sister Geri is more hesitant.

- "Renata, according to all the information we have, the Demon Tyborr is powerful. Should we really sell its Stone?"

You look at Karla for an opinion. She shrugs.

- "Renata's not a Demon Summoner. And the Consortium may have more powerful Demons already. Is there a reason to keep that Stone if we can't ever use it?"

"That's what I'm thinking, Karla," you say. "Also, we may be able to find someone in the Consortium who's not on Zusak's side who could use the Stone. If I can make a friend here..."

Sister Geri lets out a sigh of frustration.

- "That might work. But promise me something. If no such friend is evident, please keep that Stone instead. I'd rather it be in our hands than Zusak's."

You promise to do as she suggests. "Only if I meet a friend will I sell the Tyborr Stone. I can't try to sell any of the others I have. Zusak will have his stolen Stones registered- giving up Brahl to that Guard as a bribe was acceptable risk, but the Consortium sales office will have records on hand. They'll probably know about the unglowing Stone Zusak wants so much too. I definitely can't try to sell that one."

Sister Geri agrees.

- "Let's split up again since we already did once. You and Theo go sell the Tyborr and Dan'daa Demon Stones if it seems best. Karla and I will visit that local Tavern and gather what information we can. If Gale and Jess return before you do, we can meet them and wait for you."

"Ok."

You and Theo leave Sister Geri and Karla, then start exploring the Consortium's compound.

The Vernex complex is a strange place, different from anywhere else you have ever been and yet similar in some ways. Most of the people around you are hurrying from place to place with intense expressions. Some are aided by Demons of varying description carrying their Summoners' burdens or performing other mundane tasks. Most of the Demons you see do not react to you visibly. They all seem like they don't want to be on this Plane, yet all are under the control of their Summoners, who direct the Demons that approach you to quickly move away. Those Vernex residents who are without Demons appear either jealous of or frightened by those who have them. The latter group includes most of the Consortium Guards on watch and the other visitors to the Compound.

A few odd sights catch your attention as you explore. First, there is a large group of wagons parked outside a building that looks like a factory. Planewalkers and Demons are carrying Demon Stones out of the Factory and loading the wagons while Black-Robed Mages supervise. There is also a Barracks for the Consortium Army with several large Cages in a fenced off area beside it. Planewalkers are Summoning Demons inside the Cages and attempting to command them, then dismissing the Demons safely when they find their Willpower is not sufficient. Guards stand ready to knock unconscious any Summoner who is Possessed by a Demon. Nearby, you see what looks like groups of students moving between buildings.

- "That must be the University where they train Demon Summoners."

"There don't seem to be any Temples," you observe. "I don't think these people worship Demons like some believe they do."

- "Of course not. Why worship a being you are trying to subject to your Willpower? Hey, what's that?"

You look where he is pointing and see a large flat Stone Circle that most of the Planewalkers are skirting around. One student with a Demon carrying his books walks across the Stone. Upon following the student, his Demon immediately vanishes with a loud pop. The books tumble to the ground. The student curses and scrambles to gather them.

- "poo poo! Why can I never remember about the Null Stone?"

Sensing an opportunity, you run over and help the student gather his books. Theo looks on from nearby. No one else moves to aid the student.

After a few seconds, you have all the student's books collected and hand them to him. "Maybe you should carry these yourself."

- "Yeah, I know. Wait... Tara? No, you're not Tara! You just look like her. Sorry, my mistake."

"Who is this Tara?" you ask.

- "Another student. She left school here last week, said she wasn't cut out for Demon Summoning. I wanted to go with her, but I'm invested too much in the Consortium. Are you a new student here?"

"I'm considering becoming one. What can you tell me about this place?"

- "Not much. The Master Planewalkers don't like us students sharing information with outsiders. But you can register for classes in Demon Summoning over there. The term is up to five years, and during that time you'll have two chances to show the Masters you can Summon and control a Demon. We call that the Final Assignment. If you can't pass it, you're expelled. Tara was afraid that would happen to her even though she'd only been studying here a year. That's why she left."

"Are there precautions here against the risks of Summoning Demons? Like those Cages over there?"

- "Yeah, the Cages are just one precaution. Summoning Demons safely and productively is the Consortium's mission. The Masters teach Classes in how to Summon Demons, Command them, and harvest Demon Stones while Planewalking. There's Arcana and Magic courses too. You don't need to be a Magic-User to Summon Demons, but it helps."

"That Null Stone looks like the biggest precaution."

- "It is. Any Demon who steps onto it is instantly banished back where it came from. Too bad it's not portable, right? My name's Graham, by the way. You are..."

"Renata." You shake hands with Graham.

- "Like the Lost Princess! Cool name. I better get to class."

He hurries off. You frown at Theo. "I didn't ask him where we could sell the Demon Stones."

- "Let's ask someone else then."

The very first Planewalker you ask tells you to go to the Office of Acquisition. You also ask them about Demon Stone Manufacturing. The Planewalker shrugs.

- "I can't tell outsiders every way we get Stones. There are multiple ways. Some of it's through Planewalking, most of it's through expeditions to Som'Reth Ruins.
Although the Consortium tries to break into the Som'Reth Ruins to find Demon Stones themselves, enough Demon Stones are recovered by independent Adventurers to warrant a procedure to accept them. That building you call a Factory over there is actually just a Warehouse. You want to know how we get Demon Stones other than raiding Som'Reth Ruins, become a Planewalker yourself."

"Thank you. Maybe I will become one someday." You then ask for and recieve directions to the Office of Acquisition.

The Office itself is a large building with a luxurious waiting room. The room is completely empty, due to the fact that regular business has been suspended while the Dukes and Duchess are in Vernex. A short woman with dark hair and straight bangs looks up as you arrive.

- "Welcome to the Office of Acquisition. My name is Marla. How may I serve you today?"

Theo walks to her desk and sets down the Dan'daa Demon Stone, a grey glowing pebble covered in mystic runes.

- "We're Adventurers. We'd like to sell this Demon Stone and possibly one other."

Marla examines the Dan'daa Stone and frowns.

- "This isn't very powerful. 125 Gold, no more."

Theo shrugs and takes the deal. You reach for your Runebag, but Theo waves you back. His expression says he wants to gather information this time.

- "Are you a student here, Marla? Your accent is that of Daria's Nobility."

- "Daria doesn't exist any more. I'm from the Eddan Province. I'm the daughter of a minor Lord allied with Duke Eddan. My family lives in Ludd."

- "Do you know a Knight named Sir Maxon?"

- "Why, yes. I interviewed as his Squire. I hoped to gain political power by becoming a Knight. Maxon let me go, no points for honesty. How do you know him?"

- "I also interviewed as his Squire. His training interests and mine did not match. You're a student here now?"

- "I am. I work in this Office to help pay my tuition. Is there a point you're getting at?"

Theo gestures you to join him at the desk.

- "This is my friend Renata. She has a proposition for you."

By now you have guessed what Theo has in mind. "I have here a powerful Unregistered Demon Stone. I'm hesitant to sell it to the Consortium, though. The first Planewalker I met here seemed inept. Do you know a student named Graham?"

- "Yes, Graham and I are in the same year. He is pretty inept. May I see this special
Unregistered Demonstone?"

You set the rainbow glowing Demon Stone with the name Tyborr on her desk.

The woman reads the Stone's Runes and puts her hand on it. Her eyes suddenly go wide.

- "Tyborr. Powerful! One moment please!"

She leaves the desk for a moment as she goes into the back room. You and Theo wait patiently, not wanting to give away your strategy by discussing it before Marla returns and hoping you are of like mind enough to be able to pick up on each other's cues. Several minutes later, the clerk returns. You guess that she had been looking through her files to see if the Demon Stone had already been registered.

- "Ok, I confirmed with my files. It's not registered. Nor is Dan'daa, I really should have checked on it before I gave you your money. I do forget sometimes. If price concerns you regarding the Tyborr Stone, the Consortium will buy it for 250 Gold."

"Price is not my concern," you tell Marla. "I want to make sure this Stone is used safely. I saw some precautions for that outside, but in the case of this Stone..."

Marla nods and gestures to an Iron Cage in a corner of the Office.

- "May I Summon the Demon into this Cage? I know how to keep it confined inside. I have an iron will too, or so they tell me. My Willpower's in the 70s."

"I was told that Tyborr would take 80 Willpower to command."

- "Were you? Well, there's a difference between commanding and Mastering a Demon. A Summoner who can command a Demon can only talk to it and make it do things it might want to do regardless of commands. Like talk to you or kill something in the case of a Combat Demon. To get real use out of a Demon, you have to Master it. That means your Willpower exceeds the Demon's by a certain amount. Anything less than that amount, you can Summon the Demon and maybe control it but not Master it. If your Willpower is significantly lower than the Demon's, it can Possess you. All our Consortium Guards are trained to quickly knock out a Summoner if they see that happen. That usually banishes the Demon pretty fast. You can knock me out if I get possessed, right, big guy?"

Theo grins and readies his hammer.

- "Yep."

You think about what Marla has said. "So you think you can Summon and control this Demon, keep it from Possessing you, and Theo will knock you out if it takes over you. You're ok with that?"

- "Yes, and I'm curious. May I Summon Tyborr please?"

You nod at her to go ahead. Marla concentrates on the Stone. Soon a red man-size Demon appears in the Cage. You notice it resembles the Statues you saw in the Ruins, both those of the human Som'Reth Leader and of the Demon at whom he was pointing. Tyborr looks remarkably like a human except for his red skin and large horns. You are somewhat surprised.

The Demon glares at Marla, only giving you a passing glance.

- "Who are you? Why do you practice this vile art?"

Marla blinks, then recovers.

- "I am your Mistress, Tyborr. What can you do for me?"

Tyborr shakes his head at her.

- "I will do nothing! You should not be Summoning me or any Demons!"

- "Why not, Tyborr? Are you a really powerful Demon?"

- "I will not tell you. There are three stages to Commanding a Demon. Stage 1, the Demon is able to Possess and control its Summoner. Stage 2, neither the Summoner nor the Demon has control."

- "And Stage 3, the Summoner is the Demon's Master or Mistress. I know. I am a Planewalker."

Tyborr gives her a look of confusion.

- "Whatever a Planewalker is, you have insufficient Willpower to control me! We're only in Stage 2. I will do nothing for you! Please return me to whence I came!"

- "Fine, begone!"

Tyborr vanishes. Marla wipes sweat from her brow in relief. You and Theo exchange frowns, then return your attention to Marla.

- "Whoa. Never met a Demon like that before. Now I'm really curious. I only know of six people in the Consortium who might be able to Master that Demon!"

"Is one of them High Chancellor Zusak?"

- "Yeah. I've never met him, but I've heard he's got maxed Willpower. The two chief Professors here, Leigh and Lee Porter, they have maxed Willpower too. I don't know any other teachers in our University that well. The other three people I know who could Master Tyborr are students, like me."

You judge that giving the Tyborr Stone to Zusak or his Professors would be a bad idea. "Could I meet these students?"

- "They're all out of town for the next few days. Will you be here long?"

- "No, we won't. But if we leave this Stone with you, could you show it to these friends of yours? Maxon said we could trust you, Marla. We want to sell this Stone, but not to someone who can't Master its Demon. Neither Renata nor I can do that ourselves."

"There is great power in Tyborr," you presume. "If a student of the Consortium could Master him, there could be great reward."

- "I get that. These students I know... None of them like the Consortium or Zusak much. I don't either. There are various reasons. But we're all studying here in Vernex for the power of Summoning Demons. It's better than working for a living, and no more dangerous than Adventuring."

You acknowledge Marla's explanation for being a Demon Summoner, then ask her about the students she knows.

- "The students are all of different personality and trustworthy. They're all first year like me, but all have really high Willpower. One is shy, but she gets high marks in class. The other two are still establishing their gender identities. They've both been good friends to me. One has a side business Summoning Demons for those who can't control them and acquiring Stones for students who can't obtain or Master them on their own. The other student is on the fast track to becoming the leader of several student organizations here. I know them pretty well."

She pauses, then smiles.

- "I think I see a good plan for your concerns. Leave the Stone with me and I'll see if one of the students I know can Master Tyborr. I'll have to put the Stone on the books and give you Gold for paperwork, but I'll keep descriptions of its power inexact. We get Stones like that all the time. I'll make sure my friends are assigned to study it while I keep its exact details off the books. I'm Teaching Assistant for one of the Porters, it will be easy. Deal?"

-1. Sell the Demon Stone.

2. Keep the Stone.

We're on autopilot here. I'm selling the Tyborr Stone.

There are no in-game consequences for selling the Tyborr Demon Stone in Lost Heir other than missing out on optional content. As mentioned before, I will be showing off that content in fanfic to the best of my memory & imagination. Canon is the framework, I'll only embellish where it seems appropriate. You need to be a Demon Summoner to get all of Tyborr's optional story content in Lost Heir 3, and Renata is not a Demon Summoner, so there's really no in-game point to her keeping the Tyborr Demon Stone. I also will need the Gold gain we get here for a Horse later.

We'll see Marla (Lacey Chabert) & Graham (Michael Cera) again in LH3, maybe LH2 if I can work them in somehow. We'll meet the students Marla mentioned who are capable of mastering Tyborr in LH3- two of them will be our allies and the third will turn into a Companion Nemesis. Lucid set that up, not me. We'll get to pick the genders for both one of our allied students and their Nemesis. Either can become our ally. We'll also meet Tara, the student who resembles Renata Graham mentioned, in LH3. Not all of the Consortium of Planewalkers are on Zusak's side. :D

Selling the Tyborr Stone posted:

Marla exchanges the Tyborr Stone for 250 GP.

- "Thank you."

She takes the Stone from you and places it into a small box. (Lost Tyborr Demonstone and Gold +250, now 364)

She then proceeds to fill out several forms, including writing something on the form you've been carrying that the Ferry Guards gave you earlier to display as an Access Visa.

- "Initial there, sign here, and done. Okay, I am now the registered owner of the Tyborr Demon Stone. Anyone caught using it without my authorization can be punished with expulsion from the Consortium and other sanctions. I'll do what I can to make sure no one else besides me and the other students I mentioned earlier even knows about it. And I'll judge which of the three I can trust most first, even if it takes me three years!"

"Is there a way we can contact you if we want to?"

- "Come back here to Vernex and ask for me. You can also get a message to me through Albert Kenway, a University Gardener. He's actually a member of the Guild of Assassins, sent here to spy on the Consortium by the last King and Queen of Daria, or so he told me one night when he was drunk. If you know any Assassins, they can contact Albert and he can contact me."

"Gale knows Assassins," you tell Theo. "That works. My Signet Ring can detect Evil, and it says Marla's trustworthy. We're good here."

- "Ok then, let's move on."

- "Thank you for doing business with the Consortium of Planewalkers! Have a nice day!"

With your cover complete, you leave the Office of Acquisition. You then return to the Consortium's Tavern and there meet back up with Karla and Sister Geri in a private booth shielded from eavesdroppers via your Magic. Gale and Jess have not yet returned.

You fill your companions in on what you have done. "I met a Consortium student named Marla who was Sir Maxon's Squire for a time. She agreed to help us. I sold her the Tyborr Demon Stone. She knows other students whom she thinks can Master its Demon. We'll have to come back here at some point to meet them. It seemed safe to sell Marla the Stone. I didn't reveal who I really am to her. She also mentioned a Gardener who was a spy for my parents."

- "Albert Kenway, right? Sister Geri and I met him a few minutes ago."

Sister Geri answers your next inquiry.

- "He really was a spy for your parents, Renata. Lady Emaline trained him as a Gardener, both kinds of Gardener. We can trust him."

"What did he tell you?"

Sister Geri looks worried.

- "He said that Zusak is distributing the Stones the Consortium have made over the last six years in a way that appears to have neither rhyme nor reason. There aren't enough Master Summoners in the Consortium to train all of Daria in Demon Summoning. Nor is Zusak even attempting to organize the Consortium's Professors into any kind of teaching staff that will travel outside Vernex to teach new Summoners. He's giving away the Stones using the Dukes' resources in a very unsafe manner. It's... odd."

- "Albert said a few Consortium Professors and Students have formed their own groups to visit various villages in Daria and train people. They won't be able to help all the people to whom Zusak is giving Demon Stones, though. The Consortium is divided between supporting and opposing their High Chancellor's agenda. No one we've spoken to, Albert included, seems to know what that agenda is exactly."

You exchange concerned looks with Theo, then turn back to Sister Geri. "What do you think he's planning?"

- "I don't know, and that's what scares me most. I don't think we can do much to stop him either. We need more information."

- "Yeah. So we can get a room here and wait for Jess and Gale to get back from searching Zusak's quarters. Or we can go hear him make his big speech. That's happening soon, right?"

- "It is. Zusak will speak in about an hour, in the University's largest Amphitheatre."

Everyone looks at you for the next move.

1. Get a room at the Inn.

2. Go to the Amphitheatre.

Marla is actually the name of two seperate characters in LH2 and 3, an optional Squire for Knight characters (thus an optional bonus party member, the other Squires Maxon mentioned last update are other possible Squires for Knights) and a Demon Summoner who's a friend of a possible party member. I combined the characters. Not sure what happens if you get the characters in the same room. I haven't tried that yet. But it worked for this LP. :) Albert is someone else we'll meet in LH3, I'll fully introduce him at that time.

So where to next, folks? Get a Room at the Inn or Visit the Amphitheatre? We have extra Gold, so we can Get a Room (needs 50 GP). Doing that gives some optional info, but the Auditorium has the most canon plot stuff. I'm keeping my fanfic at a pace that will match our canon knowledge of the plot, except in ways where putting forth new later elements like Marla and her friends makes sense and seems fun.

Next update tomorrow around 1700 CST.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Just a quick question, but what's the text that's actually in the game and what's the text that you're adding? Are you adding the text in bold? Or is it the other way around?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Amphitheatre, no need to waste either gold or time now.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, move the plot forward.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Amphitheatre, no need to waste either gold or time now.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Questions, then Update.

Epicurus- The text in quote boxes in each update is in-game events. Outside quote boxes is my asides. Unbolded text in quote boxes is from the canon game, which is pretty minimalist stuff. I have added the bold text for my more extensive original bits that embellish and world-build. I will be doing a lot less of that in a second run, probably. It's story improvements (IMO), teasers for future character and plot developments, and attempts to show off other Character Classes we're not playing this run to a degree. Renata's doing a lot in her LH run, but she could be doing so much more. In a future run here- probably- I'll be expecting voters to guide me to various outcomes more, or maybe I'll just have voters pick a new Class and then show off its special tricks and flavor best I can. I haven't decided yet.

All the pictures displayed are my additions. They include character headcanons for dialogue and the occasional setting piece. Main character Princess Renata's dialogue, canon or otherwise, is in Italics. Underlined text is just for extra emphasis- starting with today's update, it's also to point out canon parts of game Options- I've tried to keep those as close to canon as possible and add numbers by them to point them out. But I've always bolded them too, so I can see where they might get confused with my original bits. I'll start underlining the canon bits as of today's update to make them clear.

The celebrity casting of the game is mostly me, though I do have a thread on the CoG Forums to let game fans there aid me when I'm unsure. Fans here can do the same of course. Suggest an actor and I'll work them in if I can. I don't have the entire game trilogy's cast pre-picked, and I may change actors too. Mr. Porter was originally someone else and so was Thea before I changed my mind about them.

There's also new stuff I'm finding in canon Lost Heir all the time, even recently. Example- last night I ran a Thug Prince test run to remind myself whether getting a room here in Vernex skipped the Auditorium Speech (something Renata needs to avoid) and my character picked more Blades than Unarmed in the LH1 Prologue. He ended up a Thug with Blades bonuses at 1st and 2nd Class Level where my previous Thugs got Unarmed bonuses. I had no idea Thugs could be diverse early on! Yeah, I was able to pick Blades or Unarmed at 3rd Level in LH2, but now I know how to do it in LH1 too. Bravo Lucid!

Avalerion et al- Depending on your Heir's Class, it may not be a waste of time to Get a Room. If you get one, you wait for Jess & Gale or whoever you sent to Zusak's quarters, they don't come back, and then you must make a new Choice. Wait longer (goes about how you'd expect, skips the Amphitheatre event), listen to Tavern conversations (you can then do stuff I'll have characters mention below), or the Options we already have. But you're right, not waiting works best for Renata. So we'll move on.

Option 1 at the previous choice has us spend GP to no gain, I'm not doing it. We'll do Option 2 instead. But first, in case anyone's curious, here's a brief overview / teaser for what you could do if you Get a Room. I'll show off canon text for that in a second run, maybe, Getting a Room after Zusak's speech if necessary to remind people of the plot.

Party Speculation posted:

"What do you think we should do?" you ask your friends. "Can we get more information before Zusak's speech?"

Karla shrugs, as does Sister Geri.

- "Maybe. We already have a good bit, though."

- "More information is always useful. Albert also told us that Zusak is hosting a Banquet after the speech to honor the visiting Dukes. I think he could be vulnerable there. If we could infiltrate the Banquet..."

You interrupt her. "There's probably a guest list, Sister, like there was at the Ferry. I'd have to Bribe, Charm, or Stealth my way in. I'm not sure I could or should do that."

Theo makes an alternate suggestion.

- "You could also reveal yourself like you almost did at the Ferry with your Signet Ring. Just tell everyone you're the Lost Princess of Daria. I'm sure they'd let you in!"

You give Theo an unamused glare. "That should probably be a last resort. Zusak's Banquet Guards might be more attentive than his Ferry Guards."

- "Yeah, Theo. We're not here to fight the whole Consortium. You might think you're ready for that, but I know I'm not. You were just losing control a little, right, Renata? You'll keep control later?"

"I don't know. Just being near Zusak is making me testy. He masterminded the killing of my parents, even if Selina's poison did the actual deed and Thuja's mercenaries backed up her Noble allies and Zusak's Consortium and Demons at the time. I think that's how it went anyway."

- "I would ordinarily suggest you keep control, but you do what you want. I'll go along with you as I have so far."

"Thanks, Sister," you tell your Mentor and foster parent. "So are we sure there's nothing else we could do before the Speech Zusak is about to make?"

There is a polite cough from beside you. Looking in its direction, you realize an elderly man with average features dressed in gardener's overalls has sat down at the table without you noticing. He must have maximum Stealth, thank the Gods he's on your side!

- "Hello, Princess. My name's Albert Kenway. You already know that I served your parents as a Spy and Assassin. You met my friend Marla too, I cultivated her as an agent after I got drunk like she told you. I was eavesdropping on this conversation from nearby. Your Magic did not exclude me because I am your ally. I have an idea about the Banquet I'd like to share with you."

"Go ahead."

- "Thanks. I overheard those two Cooks sitting over there talking about Duke Eddan's special diet. I'm thinking an Assassin could infiltrate the Complex Kitchens before the Banquet claiming to be Eddan's employee and slip some Poison into the food, same as Selina did at your parents' Banquet on the day they died.

"Two problems. I've always been more of a hidden Archery Assassin than a Nature Poison Assassin like Lady Emaline was. I might mess up the Poison if my Nature's insufficient. Second, it might not even kill anyone. Selina is an expert Poisoner, and she will be at the Banquet. If she guesses the Poison is in the food, I'll probably get caught, same as if I screw up. Should I try it? I am the only Assassin here."

You shake your head. "Sounds too risky, Albert. Good to meet you, though. Can you keep me in touch with Marla through your Guild? I gave her an important Demon Stone she's researching for me."

- "Understood. I'll pass along what messages I can via our Carrier Pigeons. Check with the Guild in any large city in Daria. I won't pass word to the Villages and remote areas like the part of the Norgan where Theo's Clan resides- that would be spreading things too thin. But you can get word to or from me through any large city's Guildmaster or Guildmistress. Claudia Auditore in Tornassa, Rafik Frye in Brightwater, Aya Stillman in Ludd, or Miles Hastings here in Vernex. Please be careful mentioning those names."

"No problem. I'm in Elmvale now and then. Can you add Elmvale?"

- "Fine. One Village is acceptable risk. Our Elmvale Guildmaster is Bayek de Grandpre."

"Thank you." You look around the table at everyone, then decide what to do next. "I think it best we go to the Amphitheatre now. Except you, Albert. I want you to stay here just in case Gale and Jess come back before we do. Can you do that for me?"

- "Yes. I know Gale from her brief time in our Guild before she was kicked out for not being able to kill in cold blood. I should recognize her without trouble. I'll wait for her and you at the bar."

"Get whatever other information you can, please. The four of us will be doing the same at Zusak's speech."

- "Yes, Highness. I hope to see you become Queen one day so I can call you Majesty."

"No titles, please. Renata is what I prefer."

- "Very well, Renata. See you when you return."

You stand up. "Sister Geri, Theo my love, Karla, let's go to the Amphitheatre. Although I am wondering what's become of Gale and Jess. They are taking a long time..."

Ben Mendolsohn plays Albert. You may know him from Star Wars Rogue One, Mississipi Grind, and other great films. I didn't intend to put him in this early originally, but this LP is constantly evolving. I changed my mind! :)

I don't have time to Google and link every actor casted. Fans not already familiar can look people up. I will occasionally link where I got a certain line, though, if I'm referencing something new, obscure, or not obvious.

Now, our first scene entirely not from Renata's perspective. None of this is game canon text, it's just original fun. It is a teaser for canon events in LH2 and 3, written in accordance with game events and my spoiler policies. Enjoy what has happened in this LP run to Gale & Jess. ;)

Investigating Zusak's Chambers posted:

Elsewhere in the Consortium Complex, unknown to you, Gale and Jess are in serious trouble.

Gale pushes her Cardboard Box on a trolley through a hallway while quietly whispering to Jess, who is inside.

- "This is taking longer than I hoped. That Ferryman told us the building, but there are a lot of rooms in here."

Jess whispers back.

- "You have a map of the Complex from that administrator we met. Why aren't you making better use of it?"

- "My Geography is low. That's more Karla's thing. I have better Charm. Speaking of..."

Gale waves at a passing Servant.

- "Hey! Wait a sec... Bertrand?"

- "Sorry, my name isn't Bertrand."

- "Funny, you look just like him. Must be a generic Headcanon. Can you tell me where High Chancellor Zusak's quarters are? I have a Special Delivery for him."

- "What is this... Delivery?"

Gale flips on her Charm.

- "It's totally not a Soulburner Witch who could blow his face off. Just as I'm totally not a Thief allied with the Lost Heir of Daria."

Jess gasps and shakes the Box from inside. The Servant crosses his arms.

- "Your Charm must need work. I don't believe you. But since you know my stepfather's son's former roommate Betrand, I won't ask you for a Bribe. Show me your map and I'll point out where Zusak's quarters are."

- "Thanks!"

- "I hope that Delivery is something nasty. I've never liked Zusak."

Leaving the Servant behind, Gale and Jess continue down the hall. They stop when they reach Zusak's Quarters after a few twists and turns. Gale knocks on the door to the Quarters and no one answers. Gale is then easily able to pick the lock on Zusak's door using her Devices. Jess does not have to use Magic to melt off the hinges instead.

Once inside, Gale finds the private four room Suite apparently deserted. She checks the bedroom, bathroom, office, and leisure room, then returns to Jess and lets her out of the Box.

- "We're clear. No Guardians or Traps I could detect."

Jess casts some Detection Magic, then nods.

- "I don't detect anything either. I guess Zusak's not here right now. Let's search the place."

Gale and Jess look around Zusak's Quarters carefully. Jess is first to find something interesting in the bedroom.

- "This must be a picture of Zusak and his family. I didn't know the murderer of Renata's parents had a family."

- "Everyone does. He looks younger and innocent. Hmm. Keep looking around."

Gale finds an interesting object in a prominent place on the bookshelf.

- "Hey Jess, look at this."

Jess fumes visibly once she sees the object.

- "That's a Children's Book, Gale. My Father used to read it to me. I don't think it has anything to do with Zusak's plans, though. How could it?"

- "It looks out of place. You never know..."

Jess snatches the Book from Gale and puts it back on the shelf before the Thief can open it.

- "Let's look for something more relevant. Like a Diary or a Secret File. I doubt Zusak's smart enough to keep his entire plan in his own brain."

- "He could be making it up as he goes along off a general outline. That's what I do."

- "Why am I not surprised? There has to be something here..."

Jess checks Zusak's Desk and Gale checks his Closets. They find nothing else of interest apart from some Gold Gale pockets by reflex.

- "At least there aren't any traps."

- "Yes. Thank goodness."

- "I fear I must correct both of you! Ha Ha Ha!"

Gale and Jess gasp as a large Demon steps out of Zusak's bathroom mirror! The Demon is human in shape but has mirror-glass skin that shimmers as it moves.

- "My name is Kut'Seen! I have no fear of telling you my name because you are not my Master. My Master, Alexander Zusak, told me to guard his Quarters. You cannot beat me. Ha Ha Ha!"

- "Oh crap, a Demon named Kut'Seen! Let's beat him!"

Gale draws her twin ShortSwords and hacks in vain at Kut'Seen's mirror skin while Jess launches Soulburn Magic Missiles of varying power. None of their attacks are able to damage the Demon.

- "Like I said, you cannot beat me. Ha Ha Ha!"

- "drat it, his name isn't just a joke. This Demon really is a cutscene!"

- "Yes. Rale'Run, my lovely assistant, please take hold of them!"

Gale and Jess are grabbed and held prisoner by another Demon. This one is invisible. It also has many slimy appendages and a female voice.

- "You cannot move!"

- "We can still talk while you're holding us, move our hands a little, and glare, but we can't do anything major. I can see where you get your name, Demon!"

- "Yes. She is Rale'Run and I am Kut'Seen. Nobody can defeat us!"

- "I don't know. Renata could be smart enough to think of a way."

The Demons frown at each other. Rale'Run is invisible, but a vague outline of her shifting mass and face can be seen at times.

- "I guess we'll have to find that out if we ever meet this Renata. Do you think it could happen, Kut'Seen?"

- "I bet it probably will, Rale'Run. But I also bet she will not be smart enough to beat either of us!"

- "Challenge Accepted! If we ever meet Renata, that is."

Another voice interjects from the Suite's doorway.

- "Ah, Demons! Good work. Your Master sent me to investigate an alarm here. I am totally not just snooping for my own benefit."

Jess looks at Gale.

- "Do you know this woman?"

Gale nods and makes her custom Thieves' Cant gesture that means "We're in the presence of Selina, an Evil Lying Bitch." She then speaks aloud.

- "Duchess Selina! What the heck are you doing here?"

- "Like I said, I'm here to respond to the alarm you set off. I am not here to make my own search for information on Zusak's plans of which I might not be aware!"

Because Selina has maximum Charm, the Demons believe her cover story. Gale and Jess know better, though, as should you.

Selina sizes up Gale and Jess with a bemused sneer.

- "You look familiar, Blondie. Have we met before?"

- "Since we're already captured, I'll tell you. My name is Gale. When last we met, I watched you poison the King and Queen of Daria! You are a traitor, you bitch!"

Selina laughs in recognition.

- "Ah, the kitchen brat! I remember now. You've become a Thief, I see. Is the Princess here too? The other Dukes think her dead, but I know better. I am so looking forward to meeting Renata again."

Jess glares at Gale, then at Selina.

- "You'll get nothing out of us. Renata may or may not be here. Either way, I doubt you'll be able to challenge her at this point in her life."

- "I don't know. I am a former Assassin of excellent Skill and a high-level Noblewoman. I have other special talents too. Perhaps she will not be able to challenge me!"

Selina looks closely at Jess.

- "I've never met you before, but perhaps one of my minions has. Bolwen, you're watching the door for me. Do you know this girl?"

Ex-ArchMage Bolwen, Selina's ally and Jess's Nemesis, enters the Suite. His Iron Golem clanks along behind him.

Jess gasps when she recognizes Bolwen. Her hands flare with Soulburning power.

- "Hello. My name is Jess Solway. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Bolwen raises an eyebrow at Jess. He then laughs.

- "The student I expelled from the Academy of Wizards! Are you ready to challenge me again? Go ahead. Demon, release her. Let her try. Golem, forward!"

The Golem clanks closer to Jess, who is released by Rale'Run. Gale struggles against Rale'Run in vain.

- "Whoa, Jess! He's cheating. That Golem is immune to pretty much all Magic! And even if you can beat it and that Wizard, we may not be able to also beat Selina, these Demons, and anyone else who shows up."

- "Correct! I have my other Minions Dorgan, Bunta, Phasma, Dr. Konnors, and Mazrim nearby. You can't beat us all!"

Gale gasps.

- "Mazrim and his Alchemist are here too? What about my mother? Is she ok?"

Selina shrugs.

- "Your mother's just a Servant. I honestly don't care about her. I think she's back at Mazrim's Manor, doing what she's told. My Vampire Minion, Count von Lestat, is keeping an eye on things there, just in case. A Cleric who worries him for some reason is in the area looking to rescue your mother, or so Count von Lestat told me when last we spoke."

- "Hmm. I wonder if I know this Cleric. Renata and I did have one friend who moved away when we were young. I think your other Minions are connected to Renata's other friends somehow. Am I right?"

- "You are very genre-savvy! Can you guess what's going to happen to you next?"

- "You'll hold us prisoner for a while. Then Renata will rescue us, perhaps lured into doing so by you."

- "Close. Very close."

She turns to Jess, who is still ready to scorch Bolwen.

- "Well, Soulburner? Yes, I know what you are. Bolwen tells me you are an abomination and your kind can never beat real Wizards. Are you going to try? I can call off his Golem if you like, I know the command words."

Jess glares at Bolwen, who smiles. She then lowers her Magic power. Rale'Run at once takes hold of her again.

- "I know when I can't win. But trust me, Bolwen. You have more time to prepare to die, but you will die. Soon, and at my hand!"

- "Oh, really? I suppose we'll find out when we actually duel. In the meantime, I'll keep spreading rumors that you are inherently Evil, Soulburner, like all your kind."

- "I may help you, Bolwen. I've just had an idea. How would you two like to change sides and work for me against your Princess? I pay very well."

Gale spits at Selina's offer.

- "Never! We will never join you!"

- "Pity. You'd make an excellent Assassin. And I think your friend here could offer me plenty of Doom, Destruction, and Dark Magic!"

- "Even I will never betray Renata. She's my Princess and I am loyal, even if my Relations with her are not as high as Gale's!"

- "We'll see. Perhaps you will change your minds later. In the meantime, you will both be held prisoner in my Dungeons in Brightwater!"

Dr. Konnors steps into the room and stands beside Selina.

- "Wait, milady, shouldn't we just kill them? It's not smart to leave them alive."

Selina glares at the Alchemist.

- "Didn't you say you needed test subjects, Doctor?"

- "Oh right, I did! These two will do nicely!"

Gale glares at Konnors.

- "Fool! I already know your work from our time together on Mazrim's staff. I've spent the last few years building up immunity to every poison you could possibly conceive!"

- "What about Iocaine Powder?"

- "Of course I included Iocaine Powder. My original Thief Mentor had the immunity, and so do I!"

- "Inconceivable... unless that word doesn't mean what I think it means. I suppose I will test you anyway. The other girl as well. I am developing a new poison for Selina. Hmm."

- "Don't give too much away now, Doctor. You know the Red Poison may not work if the victim knows beforehand about its effects."

- "Yes, Selina. I will not forget your mystic design."

Gale grimaces at Konnors.

- "I know you're nicer than Selina, Doctor. Can you tell me if my mother is okay?"

]- "She is. Mazrim is making sure of it, as he has done since he learned of our plan to use your mother to lure Renata into danger. Mazrim's a sentimental fool who only abuses his Servants when my Hyde Poison overcomes him. He doesn't know it's a poison, of course, and I've improved its design a bit since you left his employ."

- "I see. Well, thank goodness Mazrim has enough Good in him to watch out for my mother. Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to see if I can resist your poisons after all. I'm sure I can!"

- "I'm sure I will have no trouble resisting poison either. The ability to burn poison out of my own body was one of the first special Soulburning tricks I learned. I'm surprised you're able to design a Magical Poison, though, Duchess."

- "I'm just a dabbler in Magic. I have many talents. Bolwen is the real Wizard here."

She snaps her fingers.

- "No more teasing! Demons, take them away!"

Gale and Jess struggle in vain as Kut'Seen and Rale'Run drag them off. Selina and her minions follow, exchanging laughs.

Uh oh, Gale and Jess were captured! Can the rest of the Party be far behind? No, not really. Renata better be on her toes!

Kut'Seen and Rale-Run are based on Demon Boss fights from Lost Heir 3. Renata will be fighting them in that game (don't worry, there are ways to beat them, just not in LH1). We'll face Selina at the end of Lost Heir 2. Her Minions are mostly original characters that will be killed by our Companions, although all are based on actual Lost Heir enemies, some of whom are only mentioned in dialogue and don't actually appear in the game. The Vampire Minion (whom Petra will kill offscreen with the rest of the Party minus Renata's help in LH2, Easter Egg!) is Petra's Nemesis. Petra is the Party Member we locked out earlier in LH1. I'd have James Marsters play the Vampire if he was going to appear onscreen. Your Lost Heir character can confront the Vampire if they do Petra's sidequest, details earlier in the LP if you want to search.

Many hints were given as to Jess and Gale's fate in the previous scene. Others may also appear later, as they have before, but please do not spoil too much what I have planned if you already know the game events. Speculation is ok though, if you carefully phrase it as such and avoid the exact details before they appear in canon. Tags are fine too. I think there are enough Lost Heir veterans here to let the cat from the bag now that it's irreversible. Just please don't expect me to volunteer what I have planned for my own fanfic bits. :D

Let's get back to Renata now.

The Amphitheatre posted:

It was easy to find the Amphitheatre. The large crowd of people could be heard from several blocks away. As you enter, you see some open seats about halfway up the rows in a balcony. You barely sit down when horns begin to blow. You see several Carts with large wooden crates full of Demon Stones on the raised platform below you. Guards begin to join the Carts as the horns blow. The crowd murmurs in anticipation around you.

"What's going on?" you ask your friends who are sitting with you.

- "I think the speech is about to start."

- "Yeah, or maybe there will be some kind of pre-show before it."

- "Look, the Dukes are entering the Amphitheatre now."

You watch the Dukes enter the theater below the balcony on which you are sitting. A Herald announces each as they enter. They all take seats in the front row near the Stage.

The first to arrive is Duke Bandar. He looks impressive with his broad shoulders and dark beard in full braids.

- "Duke Bandar of the Northern Mountains!"

Next is Duke Uddo, who is much shorter and has bulging eyes. His pockmarked face is rather unattractive, but you know from his reputation that his shrewd mind makes up for his poor looks.

- "Duke Uddo of the West, including the former Capital City of Tornassa!"

Duke Eddan isn't far behind. The youngest of the Dukes, his blond hair is perfectly arranged and he is wearing the latest fashions.

- "Duke Eddan of the Southern Plains and Western Wilderness!"

The Dukes take their seats and nod at each other. A few moments later, the Herald announces their government's fourth leader.

- "Ducchess Selina of the East, from Brighwater on the Silver Sea!"

The fourth Noble looks the most familiar to you. Red-haired and thin, Duchess Selina is attractive, in a stern and cold kind of way. You instantly recognize her and clench your fists.

"Selina. She poisoned my parents." A ball of Magic fire forms around your left hand.

Sister Geri puts a hand on your arm and taps a pressure point, canceling the Magic.

- "No, Renata. Zusak isn't here yet and we can't risk revealing ourselves!"

You are not surprised your Mentor picked up on your visual cues. "Sorry, Sister, it's just..."

- "I understand. But please, try to keep control."

- "I'd have trouble myself if Dorgan were here. I don't think he is, though."

- "Well, that's good. I don't have anyone I'm really mad at in my past. Except that one Emo girl who bullied me on the Archery Range when I was a child. But surely I'll never meet her again."

- "Everyone relax! We must wait for the appopriate moment to take action, if that is what Renata wants to do."

Theo and Karla nod agreement. You relax and turn your attention back towards Selina and the Dukes.

The crowd applauds their appearance, but you aren't certain if they are applauding out of habit or because they really do respect these Usurpers to your Throne.

As you regard the Dukes, the Herald makes another announcement.

- "Presenting Alexander Zusak, High Chancellor of the Consortium of Planewalkers! His Head Guard, Thuja, formerly of the Weapon Masters of Opal Cove! Also Professors Mr. and Ms. Leigh & Lee Porter, Deans of the University of Planewalkers!"

The four personages the Herald named enter the Amphitheatre and advance to the stage. They are
the last to arrive. High Chancellor Alexander Zusak walks in front with the large dual-wielding axeman, Thuja, a step behind him. Zusak's neatly trimmed black goatee and perfect smile cause the crowd to applaud even louder. The Professors who follow him and Thuja, a tall thin male and female couple in dark red robes, get slightly lesser applause.

Mr. Porter steps to the podium on the stage while Ms. Porter and Zusak take seats nearby. You notice Thuja standing very close to Zusak, as if ready to shield him from an Assassin. Various Castle Guards did the same thing for your parents in the past. Zusak waves at Thuja to move aside so he can watch the crowd. Thuja complies but still stands close to Zusak. You wait and watch.

- "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! Fellow Planewalkers and distinguished guests, including the Dukes and Duchess of the Four Provinces of the Kingdom formerly known as Daria. We welcome you to our special presentation this day."

You have never seen Mr. Porter before, so you only react to his speech with calm anticipation for what is to come. He is merely a Master of Ceremonies here, not a person directly to blame for the deaths of your parents, at least as far as you are aware.

- "How many of you here are interested in Summoning Demons?"

The Consortium members who are gathered in the Amphitheatre let out a mighty cheer, backed slightly by scattered chorus from other guests.

- "How many of you have had it with the MFing scarcity of Demon Stones in this Realm and the MFing laws against the free practice of Demon Summoning?"

There are more scattered cheers. Zusak waves to acknowledge them. Some people only applaud politely, though, including the three Dukes and Selina. You guess that these people disagree with Zusak's liberal stance on the free practice of Demon Summoning, just as your parents did. They are only going along with Zusak because they lack power compared to him now, or they are unsure if he is in fact right. Perhaps a Decision Maker could influence them otherwise?

You can guess the Dukes and Selina would oppose such a person, because they are allied with Zusak and his larger plans fit their own villainous designs even if their own ultimate ambitions do not completely match. You look away from the Dukes and glance at Mr. and Ms. Porter. Mr. Porter seems in full agreement with Zusak, given his words so far. His wife looks troubled, however. Mr. Porter acknowledges her stance with a nod before he speaks again.

- "Well, let me say this! Today, both problems have finally been solved! To explain, here's my wife and fellow Professor!"

He waves Ms. Porter to stand up and then walks back to his seat. Ms. Porter walks to the podium.

- "Thank you, Mr. Porter. I will be brief. As those with high History here may know, seven years ago today the last King and Queen of Daria met tragic ends. They died at the hands of a group of random criminals who escaped from their Dungeons."

Sister Geri whispers to you and puts a hand on your arm again.

- "We both know she's lying, Renata. But you must keep control."

"Sorry, Sister. I will." You have already cast anti-eavesdropping Magic around your seats to prevent anyone from knowing exactly what you and your friends are saying to one another. There are also many empty seats around you, and no one else in the amphitheatre besides your friends is paying attention to you at this time.

"I didn't realize before now what today was, though. Is this really the anniversary of my parents' deaths?"

Sister Geri nods. Theo and Karla remain respectfully silent.

Ms. Porter continues speaking.

- "Their daughter, Princess Renata, died that same day. So the official story goes, anyway. I am aware of the legend that she may still be alive and in hiding somewhere in her former Kingdom. I won't say whether I believe that legend. Whether anyone believes it or not does not matter. Nor does Princess Renata's stance on Demon Summoning, whatever it may be, nor her family's former laws. Princess Renata and her family are not in power now. The Dukes here are in power, and they stand with our Consortium!"

There are several cheers from the crowd. You clench your fists and remain still.

- "Those Dukes, and Duchess Selina, have reversed the former Royal Ban on Unlicensed Demon Summoning. Also, guided by our Consortium under the command of our High Chancellor, the Dukes and Duchess have drafted and passed various laws that sponsor Demon Labor throughout their Provinces. Over the past seven years, we here at the Consortium of Planewalkers have produced and gathered all the Demon Stones we could set aside. A vast number, as you can see here on the stage and outside in our Warehouse.

"We are now going to distribute these Stones to the four former Provinces of Daria using the current government's resources. This action was Voted on unanimously by the Dukes and Duchess gathered here today after much discussion that occupied the past few months. Mr. Porter?"

Ms. Porter waves at her husband, who returns to the podium while she sits down.

- "Thank you, darling. We now stand posed on the threshold of the future. Soon every common citizen of Daria will have access to all the Demon Labor they can Summon and which their Willpower can command. Surely this will bring about great peace as it did in the past! Surely every citizen will benefit from having a Demon to cut their wood during winter, Hunt for food when it is scarce, create Magic to entertain them and put them at ease, and do other things I myself cannot imagine right now! It will be a Golden Age for Daria, just as it was in the past! So our High Chancellor has promised. At the conclusion of our pre-show entertainment, High Chancellor Zusak will officially usher in his new Golden Age!"

Theo turns to you as the majority of the crowd applauds.

- "That's when you need to act, Renata. Not until Zusak is speaking. You'll know the right moment. If you are going to act, that is. I know what Sister Geri would prefer."

- "I might be wrong about it being best, though. Mentors don't know everything, even old Monks like me."

You look at Karla for a tiebreaker. She shrugs.

- "I have no idea, Renata. Sorry. You decide."

You shrug and turn your attention back to the Stage below your balcony. Mr. Porter is introducing a student theater group from the Consortium's University who have prepared a short play about the benefits of Demon Summoning and the precautions the Consortium advises to counteract the dangers. You watch the play's first scene and find it very dull. The main character is a Demon Summoner named Gary Stu whose actions are easily anticipated and always turn out right. By the end of the first scene, you can guess how the rest of the play will go. The problems Gary Stu addresses are solved predictably. You can see several issues he is skirting, but you wonder if the play's author noticed the same issues. By the second scene, you are asking, "God, who wrote this crap?"

Karla answers you.

- "Zusak, according to this program. I wonder if his speech will be as boring. I know we're here to gather information, but..."

She trails off and turns away. You try to watch the play a bit longer, but by the end of the third scene you decide you have learned enough about Demon Summoning already. The play is clearly not the real world. Zusak is smiling as he watches it, but you ignore his oily smile. Sister Geri is quietly meditating beside you while Theo tries in vain to stay awake. Karla is watching the play, but even she is not really paying it much attention. You spot a more interesting development in the crowd.

The Dukes and Selina have started to talk amongst themselves during the play. You can tell that from their body cues, which you pick up on via your Perception. You cast some Magic to help you listen in.

They'll shut up when Zusak starts speaking, you think to yourself. When that happens, I should...

1. Keep control of my emotions and Listen to Zusak's speech.

2. Wait for the right moment, then use my Magic to Cast a Bolt of Fire at Zusak!

In the canon game, you can only do one of the above Options. I'll proceed with my preference for our first LP run next update. I'll also mention the Dukes' Actors and flesh them out further in that same update. Zusak's speech- as much of it as seems appropriate- and a summary of his "Gary Stu, Demon Summoner" play will be featured as well. I had to cut them to the next update for pacing and size.

Please feel free to speculate about which action is better for Renata during Zusak's speech before that update. Your arguments may influence me. Until tomorrow afternoon, this LP is...

To Be Continued...

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Let him talk.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

2. sounds like a suicidally bad idea. Let's do it!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Bolt of fire!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, the regular voting majority and I are of like mind. :) A few notes before I proceed.

- You can't listen to Zusak's Speech (Option 1) in the canon game if you Snipe him before it (Option 2). I'm changing that below with fanfic, as it is better to get him at the end IMO.

- In the canon game, Option 1 from before brings you back to the previous Options to Get a Room in Vernex's Inn (you can still do the stuff I mentioned last update after Getting a Room including the Poison the Banquet Option) or Sell your Unregistered Demon Stone if you haven't already, plus the Option to Confront Zusak at the Banquet. Doing the last thing, as mentioned last update, requires Charm, Stealth, or Bribery. Or you can just name drop yourself. Doing that, or failure at Checks for Charm/Stealth, gets you into a big hopeless fight with Zusak's Guards that will damage you before the final boss fight of LH1 if you don't surrender quickly. We are avoiding that fight by sniping Zusak with Magic during his Speech. You can also snipe him with Archery if you have a Bow and sufficient Skill.

- You can't damage Zusak by sniping or poisoning him (as Albert hinted last update, even if you succeed in the Nature check to Poison the Banquet, Selina will recognize your poison in the food and stop it from killing anyone, thus same results as sniping, stat-wise). We can damage someone else, though, as seen below. That character's Boss Fight is coming up soon, so we have an advantage now. :)

The first scene below is my original bit with the Dukes and Selina, plus a summary of Zusak's Gary Stu, Demon Summoner Play. The following scene is Zusak's speech, then what happens after you Snipe Zusak with Magic. My fanfic bits in this update are more summary than dialogue. I had a longer bit with more dialogue, but there were some technical difficulties with a crashed system and corrupted file I forgot to back up. During recovery attempts I ended up settling for something shorter. Probably for the best.

Actors for the Dukes- Bradley Cooper is Bandar, Paul Giamatti is Uddo, and Chris Evans is Eddan.

Fleshing out the Bad Guys posted:

The Gary Stu play is indeed boring. You recognize the lead student actor as Graham, the student you met earlier during your exploration of Vernex. He plays a young boy whose father trains him to be a Master Demon Summoner. His father resembles Zusak in costume and appearance. Gary Stu's mother is never mentioned. As the play progresses, Gary Stu grows up and solves many of the world's problems via Demon Summoning. He always seems to have just enough Willpower, other relevant Stats such as Arcana, and sheer luck to easily solve any problem that arises with his efforts. He is able to easily command all Demons he Summons, said Demons played by other actors or shown via Illusion Magic. The characters in the play who disagree with Gary Stu's goals either come around to his side quickly once they see the benefits of Demon Summoning or are forced to go along with it if they are not shoved aside by the plot. It is all very predictable. Zusak is one of the worst theater writers whose art you have ever had to sit through.

Halfway through the play's third scene, you realize only Graham is referring to his character as Gary Stu. The other characters in the play call his character "Lachlan". Graham has assigned his character his personally preferred name to make playing the character more palatable, or so he tells Zusak when the High Chancellor calls him out on the matter during a low point of the play. Zusak fumes about the renaming, but is forced to let Graham proceed. He plays his outburst off as a joke and the audience pretends to laugh.

You wonder if the name Lachlan is something the play's author, Zusak, intended as a reference. You shrug off the issue and stop paying attention to the play. A conversation the Dukes and Selina are having during it is more interesting. You listen in via your Clairaudience Magic.

- "Did you hear what Ms. Porter said earlier, Uddo? That Princess Renata may still be alive?"

- "I did indeed, Bandar. What of it?"

- "I wonder, if she is still alive, what would you do? I'm unsure. I was at the Banquet when her parents died and she attacked me in the chaos that followed. I would probably ask her why she did that, and try to make peace with her."

- "What if she asked you to help her regain her Throne? What then?"

- "Well, we're in power now and we had many disagreements with her parents, so of course I would say no. Or maybe I wouldn't. Her parents' government did have its merits. Among them was the fact that we were not forced to vote on Demon Summoning in ways we did not like as we were today."

- "You forget, Bandar, we had good reason to make such a vote! Please say nothing exact about those reasons, you never know who might be listening. I still agree with your issues regarding Demon Summoning's dangers, but I am willing to go along with what Zusak wants. So are Selina and Eddan. So are you, if your vote was anything to go by. Am I wrong?"

- "No, Uddo. However, I'm still glad we were able to keep Demon Summoning out of our cities and confined to the common people in the Villages of our Duchies. I think it will probably work out best that way. Once Zusak sees it is indeed dangerous, as we fear, perhaps he will drop the idea. Can you please answer my question? If Princess Renata is alive, what would you do? Would you help her if she asked?"

Uddo shrugs, then answers with a grimace.

- "I would only help Princess Renata if there were something in it for me. Some money or other profit. I have benefitted greatly since the death of her parents. She'd have to be very convincing to get my help. And if she were alive and did not want it, well, I'd probably just cast her aside."

Bandar looks at Duke Eddan.

- "Eddan, what about you?"

The youngest of the Dukes shrugs.

- "Well, as you know, I fancy myself a War Master. I would like to challenge Princess Renata on the battlefield one day. If she is alive, that is. Her father was a skilled Fighter, and her mother a high-level Diplomat. If Renata has inherited their Skills, and their intelligence..."

- "What if she lacks such Skills? Would you help her develop them?"

- "Maybe. I do prefer a challenge to a pushover. This is all just speculation, of course. What about you, Duchess Selina? How would you respond if Princess Renata were still alive and asked for your help?"

Selina chuckles cruelly from her seat between Uddo and Eddan.

- "I might kill her outright. Or I might try to make her my loyal protege. That would be fun."

Uddo grimaces at Selina.

- "But Selina, surely Renata would never be loyal to you. Doesn't she have good reason to be mad at you? You know what I'm talking about."

- "Well, I am perfecting a substance that could alter her personality. It is a mystical poison of my own design based on the chemicals in the ground and atmosphere of the Demon Realm that makes Demons controllable by human Willpower. I think it will do the same for humans once properly refined and distiled. I may tell you more about it later, and even show you its effects firsthand. Would you like that, Uddo?"

- "I might, yes. If it works, that is. I think Bolwen told me what you're talking about. Something he and Dr. Konnors are working on for you, correct? Is it perfected yet?"

- "No. But they are working on it for me, yes. Dr. Konnors estimates he'll need a year or so of testing, even with the excellent subjects we just acquired. Even if the Poison does not work, though, I do have another way of approaching Renata."

- "Really? What?"

Selina smiles strangely.

- "Have you heard the tale of the Wizard who was present at the death of Mad King Gareth? The Wizard at that event had the opportunity to save one of two Princes. Travis, a nephew of the Mad King, who was inept but kind-hearted. And Eric, who was as mad as his father Gareth, but could perhaps be cured."

- "I do recall that legend. There are varying accounts as to which Prince survived and what kind of King they became afterwards. I think, in all versions, the survivor eventually died and another family took over the Realm of Daria's Royal Bloodline. That was the family from which Princess Renata and her parents descended, as I recall."

- "Actually, they were another branch of the same family as Travis and Eric, but never mind that now. Let's just say for the purposes of this discussion that Princess Renata's family descended from children one of the Princes had before he died. Either Travis or Eric. And the other Prince also had descendants. Of those descendants, there is but one survivor of which I know. I am that survivor."

The other Dukes stare at her in surprise.

- "Are you serious, Selina? You have Royal Blood?"

- "It's diluted with the passage of time and genetic progress, but yes. I only recently discovered this. I promise you, though, it is true."

- "If you're indeed serious, I may have to rethink your marriage proposal! Could we discuss it over dinner next week? Perhaps you could visit my new Castle in Tornassa. I recently completed it on the remains of the old Castle that was destroyed."

- "Sounds interesting, Uddo. I would need some more time for negotiation, though. When last you and I discussed marrying and uniting our Duchies, there were still several important matters up in the air."

- "I hope this notion of your Royalty isn't just a delusion, Selina. Or maybe that it is. If you are descended from King Gareth and inherited his madness..."

- "They say if you can acknowledge you are insane, you aren't really insane. Or perhaps the madness has taken hold in me and I've made peace with it. I wonder, if Renata is alive, will she one day need to do the same thing?"

A shiver runs down your spine. You do not know if Selina is lying about her Royal descent, but you can detect some truth in her words about the madness of King Gareth. Your family bred it out, though- didn't they? So Harmond and your parents assured you whenever you asked them at least.

Never mind that now, you tell yourself. The Dukes have stopped talking now that the Play is over. Zusak is about to take the Podium. I can hear Mr. Porter introducing him, mentioning Zusak has a tragedy in his past Mr. Porter isn't describing exactly. Something that Zusak responded to by dedicating his life to mastering Demon Summoning and learning about the History of the Som'Reth. I wonder if Zusak knows what happened to that lost civilization. I also wonder exactly what his personal tragedy was... no, wait, he killed my parents. Who is Zusak to mention tragedy? He inflicted tragedy on me. To hell with whatever happened to him in his past!

Exact details as to what happened to the Som'Reth and Zusak's past tragedy won't come in canon Lost Heir text until LH3. I'll hold them back until we get to the appropriate point while dropping hints here and there. Please keep spoilers in accordance with my policies as best you can. Same for any development in the Lost Heir series that has yet to be revealed. We're almost done with LH1 now, but 2 and 3 will take a while. I hope we can all stick around the thread long enough. :)

As for the madness of King Gareth that featured in Life of a Wizard, Renata may or may not have it. I will address that as we continue, or maybe I'll leave it open for interpretation. Selina has the madness for sure, though, as I decided once I thought about writing them as distant cousins of the same family who are both vying for the same Throne. It was an intriguing idea.

Now the moment of maximum drama...

Zusak Speaks, then Renata Strikes! posted:

You sit quietly and...

-Listen to Zusak's speech.

- "Today marks a great event in the History of the Four Duchies. No longer will the common people be excluded from the wonders of Demon Summoning. After a unanimous vote by the Dukes and Duchess, it has been decided that every citizen has the right to own their own Demon Stone!"

With a flourish, Zusak reaches into one of the crates and pulls out a handful of Demon Stones. The weak light of the Stones can be seen even from where you sit. You estimate that there must be thousands of Demon Stones within the carts below you and even more in the Consortium Warehouse.

- "Every Demon bound to these Stones is of the lowest order. The common man will be able to control them in order to have someone to help till their fields, clean their houses, chop their firewood..."

You listen as Zusak drones on and on about the benefits of Demon Summoning. Your parents had been against this idea, but the new government of your former Realm happily allows it. You watch as Zusak waves and sends the Carts on the Stage trundling towards the Vernex docks. Zusak claims he will send people from the Consortium to instruct the common people on how to safely Summon the Stones' Demons, but it still sounds extremely dangerous.

Zusak also mentions the Banquet he is holding later that evening in honor of the Vote. Sister Geri seems interested once again in infiltrating that Banquet, but you wave her to silence. You also wave at Theo and Karla to keep watching the Speech while Zusak wraps it up. You want your friends ready to defend you as your emotions build during the Speech.

One bit of the Speech in particular infuriates you.

- "I have heard Princess Renata may still be alive. If she is here today, she may or may not share her parents' stance on Demon Summoning. Whether she does or does not does not matter. The government of her parents is no longer in power. We are. Princess Renata's parents met a tragic end, yes, but now the people of the nation formerly known as Daria must move past the mistakes of its last King and Queen. Even if she is alive, Princess Renata cannot stop us, nor should she even try."

After hearing this, you have decided what you must do. You have the chance to say something to Zusak now, perhaps even to kill him. You must not fail to act, something you might later regret.

You wait until Zusak has waved the Dukes and Selina to join him on stage at the conclusion of his Speech. Then, just as they are about to accept the crowd's congratulations, you...

-Cast a Bolt of Fire at Zusak!

You summon the flames before anyone can do anything about it. Karla does a double take as she sees you throw the fire down toward Zusak. You watch as it soars over the crowd's heads.

Suddenly Thuja steps forward and in front of Zusak! The movements of the large man are unnaturally fast, aided by his mystic Belt of Speed, but not fast enough to stop the Fire Bolt from striking his arm. Although you've hurt the axeman Thuja, Zusak is still alive.
(Magic +3 to 76 and Thuja Health -25 to 75/100)

Zusak stares at you while Thuja recovers. His eyes locked on you as soon as you stood up and cast the Fire Bolt. Zusak exclaims incredulously.

- "Princess Renata? Guards, bring those people to me!"

The Guards in the Amphitheatre rush toward you from all sides. Theo, Sister Geri, and a reluctant Karla are ready to resist the Guards, but you sense you would be overwhelmed and shake your head at them. Soon, the Guards are pushing you and your friends off the balcony, down the stairs into the main part of the Amphitheatre, down the aisle, and onto the platform with Zusak, Selina, Thuja, and the Dukes.

Zusak stares at you, his hand in his Runebag.

- "Rale'Run, protect me!"

The Guards are at ease with your lack of resistance and not restraining you. When you get near Zusak, you confront him and his allies. You...

1. Point at them and Shout loudly, for all to hear, "I am Princess Renata, the true Heir to the Throne of Daria and I denounce you as Traitors!"

2. Say, ”Alexander Zusak. I am here to join you."

3. Try to cast a spell to kill Zusak!

4.Try to dive onto Zusak!

These are the same Game Options you get if you confront Zusak at the Banquet later, or get caught by his Guards trying to infiltrate the same Banquet and then get dragged before Zusak. Getting to this decision in Lost Heir is unavoidable, but what you do before arrival is up to you. I think Renata has done a lot of good things. We'll see how they play out further in tomorrow's update. Please let me know if you want her to take any action above. I locked out Action 2 because I feel it's out of character. Maybe I'll mention its results in an aside, though, or show it off in a second run here with an Evil Heir. I'm not yet sure. I intend to proceed with Option 1, but might show off 3 or 4 if I can. If you remember Rale'Run from last update, you can probably predict the results.

See you tomorrow around 1700 CST.

Stats posted:

Renata the Adept Monk, Lost Princess Heir of Daria

Specialized Training:
Monk Levels: 2

MORALITY:

ABILITIES:
Charm: 52%
Endurance: 33%
Perception: 67%

SKILLS:
Devices: 9%
Magic: 76%

KNOWLEDGE:
History: 66%
Religion: 74%

RELATIONSHIPS:
Sister Geri: 100%
Theo: 100%
Gale: 100%
Karla: 96%
Jess: 55%

INVENTORY
- a pouch on your belt containing 364 gold
- a spellbook
- a dagger in your sleeve

A backpack containing:
- a small metal token for retrieving Lump, your mule
- a black Runebag with 2 glowing stones and 1 unglowing stone in it
- a rope
- a water skin
- flint and steel
- a sleeping roll

You are wearing:
- the Gem of Seeing in your pocket (+20 Bonus to Perception)
- the Cloak of Spiders over your shoulders and down your back
- your family signet ring, on a chain, around your neck (+3 to All)

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 4, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Trying to kill him wont get us anyway while restrained, but making this even more of a public spectacle will sow dissent and conflict within the citizens of the realm rather than letting zusak hush this up.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

1 for reasons above.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Traitor!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Fooly Charged's argument gave me some ideas once again. :)

Traitor! posted:

You shout loudly for the crowd as you advance across the stage. "I am Princess Renata, the true Heir to the Throne of Daria and I denounce you all as Traitors!" You point right at Zusak, Selina, and the Dukes.

The three Dukes grimace, hands on their swords. Bandar looks most uneasy, clearly recognizing you. Eddan glances nervously at your companions. Uddo regards you with a sleazy sneer. Beside them, Duchess Selina snickers as she moves behind Zusak's Professors Mr. and Ms. Porter, who both have their hands in their Runebags, ready to Summon Demons if necessary. Zusak meanwhile stands in front of the Dukes, his axeman Thuja at his side. Thuja was wounded by your Fire Bolt, but he is recovered now and glaring at you. To your surprise, Zusak waves at Thuja to back off.

- "Guards, stand ready but let these people speak. We all know who they are. Don't we, Mr. Porter?"

Mr. Porter blinks in confusion. Zusak throws up his hands, looks at you, and laughs.

- "They're the post-speech entertainment, of course! Another of our Consortium University Student Theater Groups. I think the girl we have impersonating the Princess is a bit overly into her role. She's forgotten she is not supposed to be the real Princess, but ultimately an imposter! Wouldn't you agree, Mr. Porter?"

The Professor finally catches on and chuckles.

- "Yes. I would. You surprised me. Good job. Relax, everyone, this is all part of our show! What's your name again, girl?"

You glare at Zusak and Mr. Porter. "I am Princess Renata. You killed my parents, High Chancellor Zusak! I am here to challenge you. Daria is my Realm, and I intend to maintain my parents' laws against Demon Summoning!"

Theo, Karla, and Sister Geri back you up, each assuming a fighting stance. Zusak laughs.

- "Didn't you hear my Speech, Princess? Your opinion no longer matters!"

"It does matter. I am alive, and I am Daria's rightful Queen!"

A hush falls over the crowd as people watch the confrontation. Zusak grins and makes a 'come at me' gesture.

- "Why don't you try and shoot me with some Magic again then? Maybe you won't miss at close range."

You smile and raise your hand to do as he suggests. Your companions stand ready to defend you. Then suddenly your Magic dissipates! A voice whispers in your ear.

- "You cannot move!"

Before you are able to take another breath, you sense something solid wrapping around both of your arms and squeezing you tightly. It feels like muscular arms and you can hear heavy breathing down your neck. It's a Demon, but this Demon has a special property. It's entirely invisible! You struggle futilely in its grasp as Zusak approaches.

He acknowledges the invisible Demon, then addresses your companions.

- "Good work, Rale'Run. You three- Hold your weapons or my Demon will crush this imposter!"

Karla, Theo, and Sister Geri are forced to stand by and do nothing while Rale'Run restrains you. Zusak waves at the crowd.

- "This entertainment is over. No one can stop us. As I said in my Speech and illustrated in my Play 'Lachlan, the Valiant Demon Summoner', I intend to bring the Golden Age of the Som'Reth back to the Realm formerly known as Daria. Such is a goal in accordance with the Consortium of Planewalkers' hopes to spread the value of safe productive Demonic Evocation across the land! Nothing will stop my plans in support of this goal, not even a girl claiming to be the Lost Heir of Daria returned from the dead. Everyone will enjoy the benefits of Demon Summoning. I have dedicated my life to bringing about this ideal."

Recognizing an opportunity, you verbally challenge Zusak. "I've studied the History of the Som'Reth, Zusak. Are you aware that after their Golden Age, their civilization fell apart in a series of wars fueled by Demon Armies? The Som'Reth then disappeared, leaving only their Ruins behind. Daria's History is full of similar incidents. Armies of Demon Labor do not bring peace. They may first be Summoned with that apparent intention, but someone always eventually turns them to war!"

- "This time will be different. I will see to it personally. Your family had its chance, Princess! Rale'Run, Guards, take this foolish child and her companions to my Dungeon!"

You are pulled off the Stage while the crowd claps. Your enemies begin escorting you to Zusak's Dungeon. No one is able to resist. The Demon Rale'Run's appendages hold prisoner all three of your companions along with you yourself. The Consortium Guards also surround you. Thuja walks directly beside Theo and Selina beside Sister Geri. The Dukes stand near Karla. All have their weapons ready. The Porters remain behind you on the Stage to dismiss the crowd. Zusak walks beside you and
whispers lightly enough for only you to hear.

- "So, you're still alive. Did you bring me the Demon Stone you stole as well?"

"Even if I did, you will never take it from me!"

- "You are a fool. Your Kingdom is gone and you have no support here."

You realize that he's right. Your companions, even though they came with you to Vernex and stood ready to defend you, were not able to challenge Zusak's power. Theo, Karla, Sister Geri, and you are all Zusak's prisoners now. Gale and Jess have disappeared. You have the bad feeling they may be prisoners too. Albert and Marla cannot risk revealing themselves to help you. There are no other possible allies for you in Vernex at this time. Challenging Zusak at this moment may have been unavoidable, but it was still a mistake.

Then again, you think, I did hear the Dukes talking in the Amphitheatre during the Play. They're not entirely on Zusak's side. Each has their own agenda. Maybe they'd have something to offer me. If I could get close to one of them...

You look toward the Nobles, hoping for some help.

Bandar seems remorseful for his part in my parents' deaths, you recall. He's the Duke who governs the Province that includes Vernex, Zusak's City. People say Bandar's incompetent, and the evidence supports that fact, but maybe I can take advantage of his poor qualities. Then we can help each other once Daria is back in my hands. He does have little military or economic power, however.

Eddan is the most military-minded of the Dukes. He did say he wouldn't mind helping me grow in power enough to give him a fair challenge in war or diplomacy. Maybe I should take him up on that. There is that rumor that he was forced into the conspiracy against my parents after the fact by rogue elements from his military and didn't really want my parents dead. I want to know the truth of that rumor someday. I might get Eddan on my side easily. But then again, Eddan's youth makes him naive. Also, he spends all his money on his military and I'm not really a martial person. Would I want to work with someone like Eddan, who fancies himself stronger than he really is?

Uddo is greedy and selfish. Yet he's also the most intelligent among the Dukes. He rebuilt the Castle in Tornassa and rules my former home city, the Capitol of my Realm. I could get him on my side with smart insights and advice for profit... he might appreciate that. Then again, do I want to work with a man so ugly in body and tastes? He has a good mind, but he wastes it thinking only of himself!

Finally, you regard Selina, the redhaired Duchess.

Selina poisoned my parents. I would never serve her willingly. Yet maybe if I tried deception, I could find out more about her secret designs. Selina may be even smarter than Uddo, so I'd have to be careful, but maybe I could do it. I also want to know if Selina's really connected to my family via descent from Mad King Gareth, or if that was a lie. And what was that Poison she spoke of earlier? I am not the sort of person who would ever support a Poison that enforces Magic Compulsion, but maybe I should learn about this Poison nonetheless. Could I stomach working with Selina, for that knowledge?

All these Nobles, or none of them, might support me against Zusak. Even if they helped kill my parents, should I be practical here?

1. Say, "Duke Bandar, help me!"

2. Say, "Duchess Selina, help me!"

3. Say, "Duke Uddo, help me!"

4. Say, "Duke Eddan, help me!"

5. Say nothing.

I set up this Decision with the original bit fleshing out the Dukes last update. You think they might help us? Might Selina, who is Renata's personal nemesis? Or is Zusak right and we have no possible support here at all? Please let me know what you think.

Next update we'll find out whether the game will prove Renata or Zusak correct.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Selina, the dukes are divisive and easily molded. This would be a good time for you to get with your planned backstabbing before big Z gets to his.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Eddan.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Avalerion- Please check under spoilers below. I need to know something and can’t PM you about it.

Do you know if there’s a hidden bonus to picking Eddan here? It seems possible since Eddan is the only Duke we actually have to fight later but I’m not sure. I was planning to go with Selina for her unique reaction flavor but I can change that. I’d like to show off the advantage if there is one. If no advantage never mind. Thx.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Not that I’m aware, pretty sure this is just a false choice. I’m just playing along for flavor.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Selina.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Avalerion- Ok, thx. If anyone knows whether this was not a false choice as Avalerion and I speculated, please speak up. I may show off how it isn't in a future run if I know in advance. Otherwise retconning for someone besides Selina (the majority pick) is a waste of time.

Each Duke does react to our calling out to them here, but none of them will assist us. Too bad the Options here never play out in a positive way in the canon game far as I know. By design, the climax of Lost Heir 1 puts our character in a terrible seemingly inescapable situation. Selina's reaction to our help is unique in canon. The other Dukes just look away in the regular game if you call out to them.

quote:

You plead with your preferred target. "Duchess Selina, help me!"

The red-haired poisoner laughs out loud at your request.

- "Why would I help you? You're naught but a nuisance!"

You curse your own foolishness, then turn to regard the Crowd as Zusak's Invisible Demon continues escorting you out of the Amphitheatre.

Your eyes scan over the people, but they all look back at you in confusion and uncertainty. You realize that it's too late for their help. You tried to defeat Zusak on your own, but he is too firmly entrenched in the politics of the land. He has turned the people against you. You feel the Demon squeeze you tighter and lift you off the ground. You are carried away, against your will.

As you are escorted through the Consortium's Complex, you again look at the Dukes, wondering if one of them might aid you where Selina did not. Or perhaps a second attempt with Selina might bear better fruit?

Each Duke notices you looking them over. Used to political manuevers, they guess your intentions. Each gives you a visual cue that they will not support you. Eddan shrugs, then turns away. Uddo shakes a finger at you, his eyes telling you he sees no possible advantage. Bandar looks down at his feet. Selina's reaction is the most telling.

The redhaired poisoner laughs louder as she sees you considering support from her and the Dukes again. She addresses you in her cold sarcastic voice.

- "Pitiful, Renata. Seeking help from your enemies? I thought your friends were your best strength. They got you here, did they not? Quite a motley crew you assembled! An old Monk, a Norgan Barbarian, a peasant Archer, a Soulburner Witch, and a servant girl who grew up to be a Thief. Yes, I know all about you and your allies. I think you could have had an aged Thief, a retired Knight, a senile Assassin, and a disgraced ex-Noble Cleric at various points too. But you chose to leave them all behind!"

You frown at Selina. "How do you know so much about me?"

- "My information sources are excellent. A wise Ruler always cultivates spies. I'm surprised you haven't learned that by now."

Theo interrupts Selina.

- "Ignore her, Renata. That woman's like Dorgan, always trying to take advantage with her words. But she lies and she only means to profit herself."

- "You know Dorgan, Barbarian? I do as well. He's a good Brute Henchman, for a smelly mountain man."

Theo looks about to challenge Selina further, but at a gesture from Zusak, the Invisible Demon Rale'Run puts an appendage over Theo's mouth and holds him fast. Selina laughs and moves on to regard your other companions.

- "And what do we have here? A shy Peasant Ranger caught off her guard?"

Karla gapes and glares at Selina.

- "Breath of Auriel! Gale warned me about you, but I never... Auriel, Lady of Light, shield me from this harpy's poison tongue!"

- "Seeking refuge in the Gods of Good? How amusing. Especially considering the person who told me about you, peasant! And you, old Monk! Did you train Renata in your martial arts? Did you tell her about all the Monasteries in Daria? I wonder if you missed one. The one at which I studied as a child. The Eye of Heaven, I believe it was called."

Sister Geri frowns at Selina.

- "I did tell Renata about the Eye of Heaven. I hope she might study there. You studied there yourself?"

- "For a brief time. I was an orphan the Monks brought up. I mastered many of their ways. I still recall my foundations, even though I later became an Assassin. The Monks at the Eye threw me out for some reason... I don't recall it now."

- "Perhaps they judged correctly that you were not the sort of person who should best learn their teachings."

- "Yes, I think it was something like that. They were idiots, of course. Bald little freaks who think themselves wise! No different than foolish Knights who run to the King and Queen in full armor when a child lies to them, filthy murdering Thieves who should be whipped for their attempts at familiarity, and demented 'Gardeners' who should have their canes casually bumped away! Or stupid Druids hiding in Nature whining about the balance, cloistered Priests in Temples, ignorant Wizards shut up in their Academy, and so many other blind Adventuring fools who think they can win any advantage in this world."

She looks back at Karla, then at you.

- "Or perhaps foolish peasants who should have stayed home minding their parents' stores. Intolerant Clerics who should have accepted their parents' disgrace and faded into obscurity, if they were here. Your other companions are a witch who should have accepted the potential power with which she was born and the advantages it could give her, and a servant girl who should have just gone on doing what she was told instead of rebel. And then there's you, Renata. The most foolish, idiotic, naive person of all! Birth gives advantage, Princess, nothing else. You should know that by now. Skill is good, yes, but it comes most easily to those destined to have it, and birth is what determines that. Since you are Nobility like me, Royalty even, you agree, right?"

You shake your head. "Actually, no. My mother told me something now and then that counters what you say. A Queen may be born to power, but she ultimately finds advantage in her allies and circumstances. Nothing else."

- "Well, your circumstances here are not to your advantage. And no allies will benefit you either."

You are about to snap back at Selina again when Zusak beats you to it.

- "Enough, Selina. The Princess is our prisoner now, same for all her friends. Thuja, you and the Guards take these captives to the Dungeons. The rest of us have a Banquet to attend, a triumph to celebrate. Thuja, you make sure the Princess is confined, then you can come join us. Get back my Demon Stone from her- the one she stole from me after I took it from her Royal Vault. If she resists, or after you are done, kill her. We don't need her alive. I'm bringing thousands of other Demons into this world specifically to help me find that Stone, as my backup plan."

You gasp. "So that's what you really intend with all those Demon Stones you distributed! You hope their Demons can help you find the Stone you took from the Treasury. Well, you'll never get it back, Zusak. I'll see it erased and rendered powerless first!"

- "So it is in that Runebag on your belt, then! Just as I figured. I thought I could lure you into telling me where it was by broadcasting a fake plan. I was right."

"So that isn't your plan? What is your plan then? It can't be to really give the common people of Daria the benefits of Demon Summoning as you claim!"

- "Maybe it is. Or maybe that smaller agenda plays into my larger one. You'll never know, Princess. I'm not the sort of villain who broadcasts their plans to the hero. Not all of my plans, anyway. Pity we won't have the opportunity to get to know each other better. You'd learn a lot about how connected you and I are."

"Connected. What do you mean?"

- "You'll never know. Thuja, the Consortium's own mystical safeguards on that Bag will be a problem, but the Princess should abort them for you after enough torture to her and her friends. Make her give you the Stone freely and of her own will. Use whatever methods are necessary. I must have that Stone!"

- "Yes sir. Then you'll share the power it gives you with me and Selina, as you promised?"

- "Of course I will. I'll even share it with the Dukes too, and anyone else I find worthy. But not you, Princess! Take her away!"

Zusak hands Thuja Rale'Run's Demon Stone, then departs, followed by the Dukes. Selina gives you one last smirk, then trails after them. You grimace at Karla, Theo, and Sister Geri, then recognize Rale'Run is preventing them all from speaking. They cannot help you now. But perhaps someone else can! In sudden insight, you turn to Thuja and make the same offer to him you did to Selina before.

"Thuja, maybe you can help me."

- "Me? Why would I, Princess? I'm Zusak's oldest friend! I used to Adventure alongside him before he became High Chancellor. He was a Wizard then, I was a Warrior. Selina was the third member of our Party, a Rogue Assassin Jill-of-all-Trades. Zusak's wife Zabrina was one of us too. She was a Priestess of some kind. She's been dead so long now I've forgotten which God she served."

You are surprised. "Zusak had a wife? He doesn't exactly seem like a family man!"

- "Well, she died some years ago. It was before he became High Chancellor, even before he passed his Consortium Final Assignment to become a Demon Summoner. Our Party never had much success Adventuring for various reasons. Zusak thought becoming a Demon Summoner could change that, and after he made the decision to become one, it sculpted his entire life. Perhaps, if you're alive long enough, I'll tell you the whole story. For now, it's the Dungeon for you!"

Thuja gestures at the Guards.

- "Take them to the Dungeon. Here's the Stone to keep control of Zusak's Invisible Demon. Dismiss it when it is no longer necessary. I'm going to go pinch a loaf and think about some possible torture methods. While I do that, let the Princess and her friends stew in their cell."

The Guards salute Thuja in near unison. The one controlling Rale'Run gestures at the Demon to gag you. You are able to neither say nor do anything further while Zusak's Guards lead you along to the Dungeon beneath the Consortium's Complex. Thuja watches you leave for a moment, then turns away.

We're Imprisoned by the bad guys now, as the game itself tells us. We can and will get out, though. First bit of good news- we get to keep our weapons! I thought up an amusing situation to make that happen below.

IMPRISONED posted:

As soon as you are in the Dungeons and the Guards deem it safe, their leader dismisses Rale'Run. He finds the Demon unnerving and does not like it. He directs other Guards to restrain you instead. Two burly Fighters hold Theo, a Mage casts a spell to paralyze Karla, and a female Guard puts a Sword at your neck while two others hold your arms. Four other Guards surround Sister Geri, but she holds up her hands before they can move in.

- "Let me walk alone. I'm an old woman. How could I possibly resist you?"

She moves her hand in an odd gesture when she makes this statement. You recognize a Monk hypnosis trick that has a strong effect on the weak-minded and hide your grin.

The lead Guard nods in agreement with Sister Geri.

- "She's right. She's an old woman. She can't possibly resist us."

Several of the other Guards nod chorus. One frowns, however.

- "Shouldn't we at least chain them, and take away their weapons?"

Sister Geri turns her attention to the dissenting Guard, waving directly at his eyes.

- "You don't need to take away our weapons."

The dissenting Guard's eyes turn glassy and he nods along with the others.

- "We don't need to take away their weapons."

- "You don't need to chain us either."

- "We don't need to chain them either."

- "You will put us in that cell over there, leave it unlocked, then go away and resume your regular duties. Move along."

The Guards all nod and do as she requests. Sister Geri gasps in relief after they all depart, leaving the four of you alone in the Cell.

- "Gods, even I'm surprised that actually worked!"

You, Theo, and Karla agree.

"Nice going, Sister!"

- "I still have my hammer, Karla her Bow, and Renata her Dagger and Spellbook."

"Don't forget our fists," you remind Theo. "Sister Geri and I are both Monks, and Theo has max Strength too. We should be able to fight our way out of here Unarmed, no problem."

- "You should. I'll keep my Bow ready, my Dagger too. Good thing I didn't forget my sales pitch about always having a close-range weapon. This cell's a bit tight, so I might not be able to use my Bow easily. Same for other wide angle weapons like a Sword if I carried one. But that works against enemies too. If they attack us in here, a Dagger will provide free attacks! So Gale told me anyway. The Thieves Guild trained her to always have a Dagger concealed for situations like this."

"Gale's pretty smart," you say. "Jess too. If they're ok, maybe they can find us."

- "Or we can find them. Let's think of a plan, then put it forth. Hopefully a better plan than you had in the Amphitheatre, Renata!"

- "Yeah. What were you thinking, attacking Zusak like that?"

"Well, I had to do something. If I didn't do anything..."

- "Never mind that now, Renata. Let's get out of here. Let's..."

Suddenly the cell door slams shut and locks. Two Guards snicker from outside.

- "That old Monk's mind tricks didn't work forever!"

- "Yeah, and now that they wore off, you're screwed!"

Theo rushes the Cell door with his shoulder, shaking it upon impact. But it does not yield.

"Don't waste energy, you tell him. "Let's think of a plan."

You calm down, tell everyone else to do the same, then review your present circumstances.

You find yourself in a small Cell. You still have all of your equipment, for now, but you know that it's only a matter of time before you are stripped bare. Karla, Theo, and Sister Geri are with you. The thick iron-banded door is locked tight.

Your companions complain to each other, unable to think of a way out of the Cell.

- "Breath of Auriel! There has to be a way out of this. Theo! Maybe you should hit the door again- harder."

- "I already tried hitting it as hard as I could. Maybe Gale could pick the lock. There's no lock on this side, so she'd be trapped if she was in here with us, but she's not."

You examine the door. "This lock does look pretty solid, though. And it's enchanted heavily to resist Magic knocking it down. The hinges are on the other side of the door too. Any ideas, Sister?"

Sister Geri sits down to meditate.

- "I already used my best trick outside of Unarmed Fighting. But if I think of something else, I'll tell you. Until then, perhaps we best wait for Gale and Jess to get us out."

You nod in agreement and settle down with your other companions to wait for an eventual rescue.

The hours slip by, making you wonder how Gale and Jess are doing. You hope that the entire trip isn't a complete loss.

Your party addresses the situation further while you wait.

- "What should we do, Renata? Any ideas if Gale and Jess never show up?"

"The Guards will have to come back eventually," you say after some consideration. "They'll need to feed us, change the chamber pot, escort us to the Torture Chamber, something... We can ambush them when they come in. Not all our weapons will work in this tight cell, but we can improvise, right?"

- "Yes. And what about afterwards? We'll need to escape this Complex. It's possible we can hook up with Gale and Jess on the way out. Albert said he would arrange a ferry to get us back across the lake when it was time to leave. Afterwards... you'll need to hide out for a while, Renata. Somewhere the Dukes and Zusak won't find you easily now that they know you're alive."

"Where would I go for that?"

- "A large city like Tornassa, a remote area like the Wilderness, or maybe an isolated place with its own security like the Academy of Wizards. In any of those places, you could hide effectively and train."

- "You could do that in the Norgan too. My tribe could hide you easily. You could also visit the Eye of Heaven while you're in the Norgan, train further as a Monk. And we could deal with Dorgan, rescue my Clan."

"I like your plan, Theo. Sister, what do you think?"

- "You'll need to hide out for about a year to get the best training you can and escape enemy attention. I recommend the Norgan also. If you do visit the Eye of Heaven, be sure to ask them about the Nemesis Ritual."

"What's that?"

- "Earlier I told you I have not trained at the Eye of Heaven. I did attempt to once, though. The Monks there rejected me. When I asked why, they said they could not train me because I was destined to send them a student to counter the result of a mystic ceremony they botched. It was important to the ceremony's magic that the student I sent have a Mentor outside the direct influence of the Eye of Heaven as far as training. They could not explain why in a way I can easily make you understand. They called the ceremony the 'Nemesis Ritual'. They would not give me further details about it. They might give you more information. I hope so at least."

You ask Sister Geri further questions about this cryptic information, but she has no exact answers to provide.

I set up a big fanfic plot arc here that I've been building for a while and fully outlined for myself last night. In LH2, Renata is going to the Eye of Heaven to get a Monk Level in the Norgan- there's a lot of bonuses for that I want to show off. I think voters would probably want it even if I hadn't taken over things- I'll still post some bits about how other Classes can benefit from the Norgan and other possible areas of course.

As for this plot arc, well, it's best you watch it unfold as story. You may be able to guess some details, and that's fine. I do want to keep some things hidden, though. Basic idea is that the fight with Selina at the end of LH2 needs to be more climactic IMO. It will still ultimately play out the way it does in the canon game, yet maybe what I'm doing will be neat. We'll see.

I decided some other things regarding fanfic content in this LP last night too. After Renata's LH run here concludes, I may write our run up as a story on a fanfic site. I'll edit it for better flow, post a link here, etc. I'm aware SA is not such a site, but since this fanfic started as an LP, I will finish it here as one before turning it into a fanfic formally, at least until Renata's run ends. I hope that's ok.

I will also set goals for our future progress in LH1, 2, and 3 and fulfill them as best I can with Renata. If you have suggestions for me at any time, let me know. I will continue using canon game choices for pacing (Options underlined, not bolded). Mock voting is ok between updates, even if I ultimately make each decison. Suggestions and all other forms of feedback are also encouraged. I may have difficulty pulling off certain things, in which case I will appreciate help.

Please let me know if there's specific alternate content in LH1 you want me to play out with another character or show off some other way. I have plans to do many things- examples include Karla will get the Crocodile Mount as a Ranger, also make her own Infinity Arrow before LH2 and use it in LH3 at some point, Bran/Brinn will become a War Master and use the powers of that Class, we'll be getting all Diplomacy factions and Demi-Human allies in LH2 and nearly win the war while cutting taxes, and we'll do some other things I really shouldn't talk about right now but will later. I want to make this LP a bit of a walkthrough for stuff you can do in Lost Heir that seems difficult and/or cool.

I can't cover everything, though. If there's something you know about that would aid my goals or something you just want to see, please encourage me. Spoiler Tags, speculation, and PMs are ok if you are concerned about spoilers. All contributions I end up using will be acknowledged. Thanks in advance.

[deep breath] We are now about to start the Final Boss Battle of LH1, which is why this update is large. Let's get to it. My Goals for this encounter-

1. Win and claim the Artifact reward along with saving the companion who dies if we lose (Karla per Renata's stats).

2. Get as many stat bonuses as possible that will help Renata. Playing a numbers game here.

3. Make the fight entertaining via pacing and pauses for votes at appropriate times. Build drama with fanfic as seems appropriate per Renata's Stats and game events.

4. Show off alternate options with our friends. We will succeed at whatever we can.

Please help me reach these goals if you like.

LH1 Final Boss posted:

You discuss your future a bit longer with your friends, then settle down. The Guards have not yet returned. You are becoming both bored and tired. You agree to rest for a while and set watches in case the Guards finally show up.

- "They'll bring us to a Torture Chamber for sure. No way Thuja will want to torture us in this Cell. There's no equipment for that in here. He'd be inhibited if he had to fight us too, same as any other enemy."

- "Maybe not. Thuja was a Weapon Master. He could be specially trained for tight confines. And he could want to improvise his own torture techniques."

A voice speaks from outside your cell.

- "The Norgan is correct!"

To your mild surprise, the Cell door opens and you see Thuja. He's wearing the thick leather Belt covered in Runes around his waist and holding his axes. His arm is bandaged, but he grins through the pain. Standing behind him are three Consortium Guards.

Thuja steps into the Cell, then addresses you.

- "You never should have come out of hiding, Princess. I have some news for you. We have your friends Gale and Jess. They failed their infiltration mission and Zusak gave them to Selina. They're already on their way to her Dungeon in Brightwater."

Your face goes white. "What does she intend for them?"

- "I don't know, nor do I care. You're not going to leave here alive. None of you will. It matters not that you still have your equipment. I am a Weapon Master, and thus a foe beyond your abilities to defeat. Any of your abilities!"

Thuja twirls his twin axes, easily doing so in the Cell's tight quarters due to his training and Belt of Speed. It is quite an intimidating display. He then looks into your eyes with a cold expression.

- "Zusak sent me to get the Demon Stone you stole from him. You will hand it over now, or I'll slowly break every bone in your body."

You realize that he can't just take the Demon Stone, or the Consortium Runebag you're holding it in will erase it and make it useless. Harmond's Ice Magic had torn Zusak's Runebag, all those years ago, but Thuja can't duplicate such a feat. Whether Harmond's spell was great skill or a fluke, it can't be repeated by your enemies. Their only apparent option is to force you to open the Runebag and give them the Demon Stones.

Thuja grins when he sees you considering his words.

- "Thinking about what I said? Good. You give in quick, and your death will be quick too. Challenge me if you like, though. I would find it... entertaining."

The hulking brute takes a slow step forward, ready to begin his violent work upon you.

You assume a fighting stance and prepare a Shocking Grasp spell, sliding your Dagger down your sleeve too in case you can get a free hit as Karla speculated. Theo and Karla stand at your sides, ready to employ their weapons as best they can. Thuja fills the Cell doorway and the three Guards are behind him. Thuja strides into the Cell, spinning an axe in each hand.

Suddenly, Sister Geri slips around you with uncanny speed! She drives her fist toward Thuja's throat, intending to kill the man in a single blow!

- "Hi-Yah!"

Unfortunately, the Runic Belt around Thuja's waist glows briefly right before Sister Geri's Nerve Strike can impact and he moves with an unnatural speed. He easily avoids her attack.

Thuja's first axe comes around in a deadly arc, smashing into the side of Sister Geri's head. Immediately after, the other axe comes upwards just as fast, burying itself deep into Sister Geri's stomach and lifting her off the ground. The deaddying body of your foster mother crashes to the floor at your feet. Suddenly her eyes fasten upon you as she collapses! Your Perception and Monk Training tells you Sister Geri had an alternate plan in case her Nerve Strike failed!

- "Renata, quickly!"

Not wanting to let her sacrifice be in vain, you use the distraction to your advantage.

1. Plunge your Dagger into Thuja's stomach!

2. Punch Thuja in the face!

3. Create a Blast of Electricity from your fingertips with your Magic!

If we can defeat Thuja, we will then be able to escape the Consortium's Complex. Our foster parent has sacrificed their life to give us a possible First Hit on Thuja at lower difficulty (this is unavoidable, though we won't officially say goodbye to Sister Geri till the fight's over). We already hit Thuja once in the Amphitheatre, but we still need to reduce his Health to 0 to win here. The current round has two possible successes- maybe three if the Dagger is a Free Attack Option here like it is later. We don't need Blades, though, so I'm not taking the free hit now even if it exists. Later I might take a free Hit if I'm unsure about our required Skills.

Should our second strike against Thuja be Magic (current Skill 76) or Unarmed (59)? Please vote! See you next update.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Magic strike.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Cast fist. :D

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Drop the axes and settle this with fisticuffs like a proper gentleman!

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Magic. At this point, we need to go for the smartest options. And that's the higher stat at the moment.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thanks for all votes. I'm going to go with what seems most fitting to Renata's character in my head here- the smart practical Option and yet the one that best meets her emotions at the time of decision along with my own chosen play style. In this case, that Option is...

Punch! posted:

Emotion overcomes you as Thuja mortally wounds Sister Geri. You sweep forward and apply the Skills she taught you. To give her pride in her final moments, you use her teachings. She hoped you would always master such Skills one day despite the fact that you started life with a different Character Build.

Your Mentor smiles before she faints, watching your punch impact Thuja and dislodge a few of his teeth.
Thuja is celebrating his victory over Sister Geri, which allows you to land a solid blow. He staggers back and glares at you. Then his recharged Belt's runes gleam. Within seconds, he once again moves with phenomenal speed- and rage now that you have his attention.
(Unarmed +3 to 62 and Thuja Health -25 to 50/100)

Thuja spits out a bloody tooth, then waves his axes in your direction.

- "You'll pay for that!"

I am playing in a different way here than some might find smart. I'm checking game stats constantly, relying on my memory of past characters who failed or succeeded in certain scenarios as far as checks I can pass. If I'm wrong, I'll take the failure. If I'm right, I'll keep that too. My long term goal with Renata is to achieve a Trope called Awesomeness by Analysis. You can click the link for a full explanation, but the basic idea is that I'm weaponizing game mechanics and math to max out all the Stats I can and succeed everywhere I want to succeed that the game will let me. That fits Renata, right?

Long Term Goals for Renata.

- Take at least 3 Monk Levels and 1 Seer Level. I may take an additional Monk Level at 5th Class Level, I have yet to decide. But I think with these plans and her current Build I can...

- Max out the following Stats- Magic, Unarmed, Perception. Or at least get them close to maximum. :) Secondary Priorities in no particular order- Agility, Charm, Endurance, History, Arcana. The other Stats I can easily show off with other game characters if I want to point out a possible success or fail of which I know. Fails I take I will keep per goon will and personal decision. Renata's adversaries may like perfect Mary Sue characters the way I'm writing them, but Renata herself is a Practical Girl. Edit- I may consider a retcon in case of big losses like a Companion, we’ll see.

- I'm aiming to do some other stat-maxing too. But I'm not revealing it all just yet.

Note that I don't necessarily have to achieve the goals I set. I just want to get as close as I can. The Class Levels are for things I want to show off, some of which I've heard about but not personally seen before (as said before, I'm playing Seer Blind). The Stats I want are key to passing certain events in a cool way. I want to raise a Stat first through Training, then through passing Checks when I think I have it high enough. When a Stat's Maxed out, I will then address other Stats as best I can. I plan to use Unarmed as my go-to Close Range Option, Magic for Long Range and Defense. When there's an option, I'll fall back on improving the lower Stat if I think I can. Or if I need a Stat at a certain level for something, I'll eye towards improving it. We'll see what happens. Failing confidence, or with no other Options, I'll do what seems most awesome at the time.

Let's get back to fighting Thuja. On the first round after he kills your foster parent, you can hit him with any attack that meets a certain level. 45 is the Unarmed Level required, I don't recall the rest right now. On the second round we must...

Avoid Damage! posted:

The large man is unnaturally fast as he raises both axes into the air with the intention of ending your life with an enormous double chop. You can see the two sharpened edges streaking down toward you.

1. Instinctively you push off from the ground and leap upward...

2. Attempt to dodge the blow.

3. Attempt to catch Thuja's wrists.

Theo can pass Option 3- it requires 50 Strength. Karla, the way I imagine her, gained Agility when she practiced Archery as a child and chose gracefulness and physical activity over other things (imagine her going through the LH1 Prologue character-building), so she'd have the 50 Agility to pass Option 2. But Thuja's not attacking Theo or Karla.

Renata only has one option for avoiding 50 damage here- use the Cloak of Spiders she can be glad she retrieved! I'm deliberately showing it off now. :)

Option 1 posted:

-Instinctively you push off from the ground and leap upward...

Your feet leave the ground and you twist your body in mid-flight. Your hands and feet suddenly stick to the Cell's stone ceiling as your Cloak of Spiders works its magic. Thuja's axes miss you entirely as you press your back up against the ceiling to avoid them. Karla and Theo are just as amazed as you are.

Thuja is amazed too.

- "drat! You have an Artifact! Once I kill you, it will be mine."

You banter at him. "You haven't killed me yet, Thuja! And that torture threat earlier- was that really the best idea you had?"

Thuja looks up at you and fingers his Belt.

- "I too have an Artifact. Defeat me and it will be your prize along with possible escape. But while I think of what to do next... Guards, fight them!"

- "What?!"

Thuja steps back and commands the three Consortium Guards to rush into the small Cell. It's not a very strategic move as they are forced to cram into the tight quarters with you and your companions. Everyone is cramped and has difficulty using their weapons, but Thuja pushes them in anyway.

The Guards scream protests which everyone ignores. The two Fighters are in front, and they draw their Swords as best they can. Your Companions defend themselves from the Guards.

Theo struggles briefly with his warhammer, but there is no room in the Cell for swinging it. Karla presses herself into a corner. Without room to draw her Bow, she is practically useless.

"Your Dagger!" you remind Karla.

- "Right."

Karla draws her Dagger and fends off the female Guard. She is thus able to pick up a free Blades success in the tight confines, although her opponent is not killed. Meanwhile Theo uses his hammer's haft to intercept the male Guard's strikes. The Mage Guard hangs back, looking up at you and readying a spell. Thuja stands behind him in the cell doorway. You distract the Mage by flicking a fist at his face. He avoids the attack, but his spell was interrupted. You then press your Cloak against the ceiling, feeling its tutorial Magic activate thanks to your current stress.

You release your hands and find that your back is now stuck to the ceiling. The Cell isn't large and you are barely a foot away from the tops of everyone's heads.

In this position, you are above the Guards' attacks and possibly able to take advantage of the situation. The two Fighter Guards are engaging Karla and Theo. The Mage Guard is waiting for an opportunity, realizing he can't make big hand movements in the tight confines. Thuja stands behind him waiting. Sister Geri has fallen unconscious from her wounds. Theo and Karla are occupied in struggle. You need to help them as best you can.

1. Stab downwards with your Dagger.

2. Grab one of the Guards around the throat.

3. Try to push your own Magic through the Cloak.

Karla already got Success with Option 1. Option 2- I just got an Unarmed success, and it doesn't seem in character for Renata (I also recall it requires Strength in addition to Unarmed and I haven't been building Strength). Our Princess is going to try and do the unique cool thing when she thinks she can- here that's Option 3.

quote:

Your Cloak of Spiders Artifact sends sudden instinct into your mind. You trust it once again.

It's an odd sensation, to allow your own Magic to flow through the Cloak, but your intuition seems sound. You feel a pressure building at your fingertips.

1. Aim your hands at Thuja.

2. Aim your hands at the Guards below.

Pausing here to set up another facet of Renata's intelligence. What should be our priority?

Today I can make two thread updates due to extra time on my hands. See you this evening to continue this fight.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 6, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Stuff like that catch his wrist option is what can make a blind run “difficult - really that one might have checked any one of strength, agility or unarmed.

Taking out mooks before focusing the boss is usually a sound strategy.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

guards. Thujas belt is active again so we'd probably miss him anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Taking out the companion mooks is usually sound strategy in any RPG boss fight.

• Locked thread