Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Servants that don't get out of our way don't keep their jobs long. They should get out of our way due to our presence or start looking for a new job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Charm is ahead at my bedtime, so...

Smiling at Servants posted:

The servants smile back and nod greetings to you as you pass.
(Charm +10 and Good +1)

That Charm bonus earned here will surely help us in future social interactions. :wave: And yet I get the feeling the servants are a bit afraid of us too. :what:

So this updates our stats as follows-

Stats posted:

Stats
Renata, Princess of Daria

Health: 100%

Specialized Training: None

Possessions: Spellbook.

Animal Companions, Pets, and Familiars- None.
Mounts- None.

MORALITY:
Good: 51% Evil: 50%
ABILITIES:
Agility: 20%
Charm: 30%
Endurance: 20%
Perception: 20%
Strength: 20%
Willpower: 20%

SKILLS:
Archery: 0%
Devices: 0%
Magic: 23%
Blades: 0%
Stealth: 0%
Unarmed: 0%

KNOWLEDGE:
Arcana: 30%
Geography: 20%
History: 20%
Nature: 20%
Religion: 20%

RELATIONSHIPS:
None at this time.

Renata is certainly Charming and intent on her goal this morning. But to whose company are we traveling?

Decision #5 posted:

It doesn't take you long to work your way through the castle, noticing as you do that it seems even busier than normal. Perhaps something interesting is happening that you haven't heard about yet? No matter. Your friend is waiting for you, so you hurry on your way.

1. Visit Petra, the young noble girl who is visiting.

2. Visit Peter, the young noble boy who is visiting.

3. Visit Gale, the cook's daughter.

4. Visit Gill, the cook's son.

Spoiler Hints- If the choice didn't make it obvious, we can recruit one of two childhood friends who will later join our adventuring party here. Their gender is pretty much irrelevant unless we want to romance them at some point (our sexual orientation is the next Decision). But it is safe to say that while whichever character we pick plays the same main plot role, they each have their own unique Skills, Side Quests, and Interactions with us and other characters. The big difference-

- Peter/Petra, the nobles' child, is a future kindly yet stalwart Cleric.

- whereas Gill/Gale, the cook's child, will grow up to be a fun-loving Rogue.

We can of course supplement their role in the party if we play the same type of character, possibly train in our Skills with them, and possibly probably wind up more useful (or not). We can also fill in the missing party role ourselves if you prefer. Or take on an entirely different role.

While the character created here is our first potential Romance Option (more on that in the future), they are far from the only one.

The character we don't create here will not come into the story later, unfortunately. :(

This choice is plot important, so I will give it at least till tomorrow midday. If you rename characters (I'll go with majority), please still indicate for whom you are voting- Nobles' or Servants' kid, future cleric/rogue, something. Thanks.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Clerics are lame, visit Gale. Renata should be a princess of the people!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

cooks daughter

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Agreed

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Straight to the lesbians, huh goons :rolleyes: Look, every party needs healers more than we do skill monkeys- Petra!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Petra sounds good.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Miss Cleric because someone in the party needs to preach the word of Great Cthulhu.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
When's old Gill gonna get a turn?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Gale cause I almost never pick her when I play this.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Petra for clerkic.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Voting seems to have stagnated. The thief has a 2 vote majority, and their gender is 5-1 female. No renaming. Very well.

Going to Meet Gale! posted:

Gale is about your age and was born in the castle too. Her mother, Freda, has been working in the kitchen for three generations, having served your grandparents, your mother and now yourself.

I've been playing with Gale since we were toddlers. She's always fun. I know she's usually into a bit of mischief, and I can't often help but wonder what she'll be like when we're older. We used to have another friend named Petra who moved away. She was a stick in the mud, but usually up for our games regardless of that. I wonder whatever happened to her sometimes.

You hurry through the open portcullis and out the front gate of the castle, knowing that Gale will be at your usual meeting spot. A pair of guards follow you visibly but do not interfere otherwise. Sure enough, you find Gale sitting next to the moat waiting for you.

- "Renata! Hey!"

"Hey Gale!"

Gale has dirty blond hair that lays straight down her back. She's really skinny, but her liquid blue eyes promise beauty in her future.

I had a thing during my last thread where I cast a popular actor as each character. I'm not sure if I want to continue that here, but for now they are providing head canons for dialogue. Gale is Dakota Fanning, because, hey, she's always up to something. Easy to get an adult head canon later too. :)

No head canon for Renata, as the game never gives our character a physical description and I'm sure different people will see her in different ways. If someone wants to suggest or create a head canon at some point and it's accepted by fans, I may work one in. For now, dialogue in italics is Renata's dialogue. If it's in quotes, it's spoken aloud, otherwise it's thoughts. This dialogue is a mix of game canon and original content, I will bold the latter along with original scene details. If fans don't approve of this, let me know. I can and will stop it at any time.

Gale is a good choice of friend. I picked her my first playthru and was entertained quite a bit. On my second playthru, I found Petra also very entertaining. Same for their male versions. Both characters are unique. I will say no more about them for the time being. Let's settle a more important question.

Next Decision posted:

Looking at Gale today, I realized something I hadn't in my life so far.

1. Even at twelve, you can appreciate Gale's beauty and find yourself attracted to girls.

2. You find Gale fascinating and likely would continue to feel that way even if she were a boy. Even at twelve, you've noticed that you're attracted to both boys and girls.

3. Although Gale is beautiful, even at twelve, you've noticed that you're more attracted to boys than to girls.

4. Boy or girl, you find yourself desiring neither and this doesn't change as you grow older.

This is the only chance we'll have to pick our character's sexual orientation. Nope, it can't change later, unlike real life. :sigh:

Renata was lesbian in her Life of a Mobster SA incarnation. No objections from me if we pick that here, I'm leaving it entirely up to fans.

I don't want us to get too bogged down on this, though. So I'll check in for a good majority this afternoon, possibly evening if we're tied, then move forward. A discussion of Romance Options in the game will come in a seperate post following this one. You can read it and let it influence your vote at your discretion. Note that if we intend to romance our friend later, we will need to make sure we are attracted to them at this point.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Let's go hetero just for variety.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Romance in the Lost Heir

As in many Choice of Games, we have the option in The Lost Heir to hook up with other characters during the plot action. There are two types of romantic encounter, Partners & Flings.

Partners are characters who will be your love interest and have the potential to remain so throughout the trilogy. We can meet and begin courtship in Lost Heir 1, mostly it proceeds slow although some characters are faster than others. If cards are played right, we can get regular sack time with our Partner by the midpoint of our journey through LH 1. Peter/Petra and Gill/Gale are both potential Partners, and we'll meet the other three later. Sack time with your partner is not necessarily a given, it can be declined for a variety of reasons. I'm not sure what happens if you say no at the time of offer, I've never tried that.

In Lost Heir 2, existing romance can continue. It can also end, if players decide they prefer to try courting the one new Partner available in that game, or that they prefer being single. Breakup means the character stays with your party as a (usually) amicable ex. Relationship progress includes engagement, dubbing the Partner Royal Consort (this can go over in different ways, as you'd expect, but your kingdom will always accept your choice), and- if your relationship is sexual- conceiving a child. The latter happens even if you're in a homosexual relationship- an Archmage we'll meet in Part 2 has some magic that can allow people of the same gender to make a baby. There is also a potential adopted child we can get in Part 2, but that happens regardless of the baby (although the adopted child will become the best Big Sibling ever if we later conceive a kid).

Lost Heir 3 allows no breakups to existing relationships that I've found (yet), but it does progress things further with the birth of the child (if one was conceived) in LH2, a Royal Wedding, and the beginnings of a marriage. You then automatically name your birth child as your heir before the final conflict quest (no natural child means you can pick someone, including possibly the adopted child if you got them), with your King/Queen as Regent until they come of age (or if you have no spouse, you get to pick a Regent), just in case you don't make it through. Also, any unattached party members can meet their own romantic partners in Part 3, David & Leigh Eddings style, provided you're not attached to the characters in question and you make the right decisions to allow their relationships to occur. If you don't already have a Partner entering this game, there are 2 additional potentials you can pick up, but you can only progress to an engagement with them before the final conflict and then they are in more serious danger than any other characters during said conflict. But that's getting far ahead.

Different Partners have different stat requirements for courting, supposedly. These include Morality levels, Charm levels, and maybe other stats. However, I've only seen these come into play when my Relationship Level with the partner in question is <80% and I've tried to make the courtship offer. It tells you 'needed stat X' and your offer for a hookup fails. But if I can get the Relationship above 80% (ie I didn't fall for the numerous screw-up opportunities, both obvious and otherwise), courtship is always successful. So maybe stats aren't that big a deal. I will note, though, that the potential new partner in LH2 is quite harder to court than the others whom you've known a longer time (high Charm, Good, and Perception help).

Edit- You can not court any potential Partners from LH 1 in LH 2 or 3, or the potential from LH2 in 3, or any Partners past the initial opportunities. At least not in any way that I know of. Which IMO frankly sucks. In the words of Prince Shaft, my Blademaster who had an all-female party but could only score with one of them- :cmon:! Maybe it would be too complicated even for him, but at least Petra understood him and he got to kiss Thea & Karla too. Jess unfortunately met Shaft too late for him to do anything, (or maybe she heard about him), and Brinn & Poppy never fell for his charms. :(

Sadly, there is no option for multiple Partners. Trying for that will usually screw up your Relationship with both people in question and cause Romances to end (and you can end up traveling with a disturbed ex if the Relationship drops low enough, but I've heard that can also be fun although I have yet to see it personally). And then, whether you get a Partner or not, there is always the opportunity for...

Flings- These are brief sexual encounters that your character can have with other characters you meet briefly. Flings do not join your party post-hookup, but it's presumed you always fondly remember them. We have two potential Flings in part 1 I will highlight, and two more in Part 3, plus a third that's Druid only (it was mentioned in the opening posts). I don't know of any in Part 2. Flings usually give bonus to Charm if successful, and they require certain Charm levels to accomplish. There are no long term consequences to hooking up either. Of course, trying to go after a Fling with your Partner able to see it is usually a good way to wreck your Relationship with the Partner in the first game. The Flings in Game 3 don't even let you try to get a Fling if your Partner is around when you meet.

You can hook up with Partners and Flings of any gender to which your Prince/ss is attracted. All long-term Partners allow you to set their gender when you meet them, so you can make them a potential Romance Option or just a good friend as you prefer. Flings will always be a gender to whom you are attracted, except in one case where the gender is random (being bi easily avoids that issue). It is assumed that all your party members are bi, as are their romantic partners who aren't you in LH3 (one said characters is always the opposite gender of your party member, one is random gender, two are always female, one is always male, and we can set the gender of the last).

No party member is celibate, not even the cleric if they are recruited. Although our character can choose celibacy for whatever reason if we like.

So, if readers like Romance, this game offers it. And staying single can also be fun. We'll see what Renata and future characters here pick.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 27, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, we're straight as a sack of spirit levels.

Mr_Autoshades
Dec 5, 2016
Aro/Ace if it's possible to still pursue relationships if we choose, otherwise Straight.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Mr. Autoshades- I just checked on Ace (Asexual) relationships with my new Elemental Archer character on my iPhone. Sadly, this option locks you out of pursuing all relationships in LH1, Flings included. :( I presume LH2 & 3 are similar. I will count your vote as Straight.

Edit- I have now advanced my character to LH2 and there is still no romantic option. However, the Archmage does let you use his power to create a child without another parent involved. I'm not sure if he does this if you pick non-asexual but remain celibate (I will do future research). Edit- Memory came back to me. Prince Adam's first incarnation got with Gale but they never had a kid for plot reasons I can't reveal right now. Archmage Cumari never offered to help. The same thing might happen with celibacy.

Further Edit- No changes in LH3 as far as relations.

Flings are random gender if you're Bi and locked out if you're Ace (the character appears and is random gender, but the options to sleep with them are locked).

Tally-
L Word- 0.
Bi- 0.
Straight- 3.
Ace- 0.

Please correct me if I am wrong on any vote, or in using a term that some find objectionable. I will tally votes around 1630 and start officially drafting the update then (allowing for changes at the last minute if people break the current lead).

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 27, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Bi just to keep our options open, not opposed to a straight run either though. :D

Edit: Didn't realize flings change to accomodate us, in that case yea straight works.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 19, 2017

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

NONE

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Okay, 4 Hetero to 1 Ace vote says we are hetero and therefore not attracted to Gale as a potential Romantic Partner. :shrug: We'll see if a romantic entanglement with an interesting male character develops later for our Princess. First, some plot action!

Sorry, girlfriend, I'm hetero! posted:

I realized Gale was attracted to me! I had often seen her giving interested looks to other children around our age, both boys and girls. However, she had never looked at me that way before and she was doing so now!

I wasn't entirely sure of my own sexuality at age 12, but I knew that so far in my life I had only been attracted to boys. That presumably would not change as I grew older. I wondered if Gale would be okay with that.

Gale grins at you.

- "You slept in."

"Yes, I did. Do you have something you need to tell me?"

- "Later, over lunch. My mother made something for us."

So she was planning to approach me- or accept my approach- later at lunch. That was good.

Gail grins at you again, obviously eager for your planned play this morning.

That was the nice thing about being young- your rank rarely got in the way. In fact, your friend sometimes even called you by your given name...

1. Acacia.

2. Irene.

3. Maria.

4. Cordelia.

5. Maeve.

6. None of these (new random list of names is generated).

7. Choose our own name.

This is the point where we pick our character name in the official game. As previously voted, we've chosen 7. Renata.

Also, this is a good time to mention that our Relationship meter with Gale starts at 60%. Presumably, she is a good friend, though not yet anything more than that. I'll update the stats when we have a new page.

Plot Action! posted:

- 'Renata, did you see the riders?'

"Riders?", you question. "No, I just got up. What riders?"

- "I don't know. I heard that a group of fifty men arrived at the castle just before dawn. Your parents have already granted them an audience for later this afternoon."

"Fifty!" you exclaim. "And they've already been granted an audience? They must be important!"

- "Mom said that a banquet has been ordered for tonight too."

The attraction Gale has for us and this surprising plot development of important visitors will both be resolved later. First, a more important decision for children must be made.

How shall we play today? posted:

Even an exciting event like important visitors to the castle was not enough for me and Gale to change our plans for the morning. Presumably my parents or someone else would tell me about the event later, if it was important.

Gale was ready to go enjoy our plans.

So were the two guards standing near me, who I knew from past experience would observe whatever I did with Gale, but not interfere.

- "The Princess can do whatever she wants! Right, Biggs?"

- "Correct, Wedge! Same goes for her friend- as long as we protect the Princess, of course!"

- "What shall we do today?"

Options posted:

1. Stalk rats in the tunnels below the castle, as you do most mornings.

2. Wrestle and roughhouse around the moat, as you do most mornings.

3. Read stories of magic and mythical monsters, as you do most mornings.

4. Play in the Kingswood, as you do most mornings.

The redshirtsGuards Biggs & Wedge are named as per Final Fantasy tradition. They're just extras, so their voice actors aren't anyone famous.

I have to confess that the variety of pictures on the Internet and resizing programs available may make standardizing picture size a problem for me in updates with multiple dialogue headcanons. If people have problems with varying picture sizes or suggestions on fixing the issue, please let me know.

All the above options have stat rewards, as there is a certain level of training available from childhood games. Note that the first two options are unique to picking Gill/Gale as a friend (Peter/Petra has different options). I'll check for a good majority on this choice later tonight.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 20, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Read stories.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Stalk rats

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rats

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Stalk rats

Mr_Autoshades
Dec 5, 2016
Play in the Kingswood

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

achtungnight posted:

The redshirtsGuards Vicks & Wedge are named as per Final Fantasy tradition. They're just extras, so their voice actors aren't anyone famous.

Ahem, I believe you mean Biggs and Wedge. It's the only interpretation that makes sense, as it's a Star Wars reference, and it's only translated as Vicks in FFVI.

And nearly as important: Where's Piette? :colbert:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
John Lee- Ok, my bad on the FF6 thing. I'll fix that. Thanks.

Piette, Porkins, Viers, Phasma, and other Star Wars homage characters will pop in later depending on the choices we make.

Please vote if you want to. Or lurk, if you prefer. :)

Current tally-

Rat-stalking 3.
Roughhousing 0.
Reading Stories 1.
Kingswood 1.

I will draft the alternate parts of the update and post around 1 am before I sleep.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 20, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, we are playing in the...

Castle Tunnels posted:

The guards follow you to the secret entrance to the tunnels beneath the castle, an area that not everyone who resides in the castle knows exists. This entrance is on the outside of the walls, allowing hidden escape in emergencies. The Court Wizard keeps a strong ward on it to prevent unauthorized access. As you are the Princess, you and anyone accompanying you- like Gale- are immune to this ward.

When you enter the tunnels, the guards frown but wait outside.

Your parents would be mortified to know that one of your favorite pastimes was to catch rats with the cook's daughter. It had started as a dare. Gale had been assigned to stop the mice from entering the kitchens. The royal mouser, a man with a dozen cats, had been at his wit's end trying to get rid of the pests. Gale didn't think you'd help her do it, since you were so high-born. You had proven her wrong. Since your initial campaign, the two of you had spent many hours exploring the lower levels of the castle and disposing of pests. An odd hobby, but strangely enjoyable.

(Stealth +10)

The Stealth bonus here and the Magic bonus earlier indicate we may be building a sneaky wizard character. I have no current character like that. It could be interesting. :ninja: :science:

I'm not spoiling what the other choices would have given us this run, but readers are free to speculate or spoil themselves up to the point we are currently playing. If you guess/spoil correctly I will confirm it in a future Lost Heir run if we do one here. Suffice to say for now that I thought up an original reaction from the guards for each choice.

Here's this one. Sadly, I can't give stat bonuses for original content. I'm not cheating. Success is presumed, actions based on current stat levels, so no points for a win.

Largely Original Content posted:

You spend much time in the tunnels sneaking up on vermin and zapping them with basic spells you have mastered through long practice. Scorching rays, green force missiles, and the occasional shocking grasp magic end the poor rats' threat to the castle's health.

During today's rat-killing spree, you cannot help but notice that Gale is moving far more stealthily than you have ever observed anyone move before. She is also stabbing the rats with a dagger using uncanny precision. You comment to her about this when you get the chance.

"Looks like you have some new Skills, Gale."

- "Yeah, this old guy in the dungeons is showing me how to move quietly. Mother's boyfriend introduced us."

You recall that Gale's father was a soldier who died during a mission to curb raiding Northern Barbarians. Her mother has dated a succession of castle guards since her mourning ended.

"Is your mother's boyfriend's friend another castle guard?"

- "Uh, no, he doesn't work in the dungeons. He's *in* the dungeons. You know, as a prisoner. He's teaching me to pick locks too. It's fun!"

You find it odd that Gale is friendly with a prisoner in the dungeons who knows how to pick locks and move silently. Could he be working on an escape plan? Of greater concern, though, is the accuracy Gale has displayed in stabbing the rats.

"Did this prisoner teach you to stab the rats like that?"

- "No, that was someone else. I have a combat teacher too! Guess who it is. I'll give you a hint. It's not that old knight who trained your parents."

"Of course not. He'd refuse to show you anything because of all those juvenile pranks you've played on him!"

- "Hey, don't remind me! I didn't think he'd take it personally! Come on, make another guess."

"Um, is it that wise monk in the castle temple? Guard Sergeant Porkins told me he saw her fight off four bandits at once!"

- "That bald little freak? Nope, you're wrong. Why would you think I'd listen to her? She doesn't even use weapons! I can't ever appreciate her so-called wisdoms either. 'The longest journey begins with a single step'- like the average person doesn't know that!"

I could recall a few more interesting things the monk in question had told me, but I did not voice them. Gale's lack of respect for the monk was tragically evident.

You shrug. "Ok, I give up. Who is it?"

- "The old lady who works in the gardens. You know, the senile one. Except she's not really senile. She thinks I have the potential to do well in her Guild!"

"But there is no Gardener's Guild. What are you talking about?"

Gale suddenly frowns.

- "Uh, can you forget I said anything? She told me not to tell anyone she was training me. I can't say why. But if you want to know, ask her about weeding, okay?"

I wondered if I would have the opportunity to further investigate Gale's training later. She seemed unwilling to elaborate further, so I dropped the subject for the time being.

An hour later finds you exiting the tunnels covered in dust, dirt, and scratches.

You sit down to eat lunch beside the moat. The guards who have been waiting outside comment a bit on your play.

- "I wonder where the Princess and her friend went just now, Wedge. Did we see anything?"

- "We saw nothing, Biggs. It's not like she went into the secret tunnels beneath the castle that only veteran retainers know about. We certainly did not see her go in there!"

I ignored the guards' banter. I doubted they would tell anyone about how Gale and I played, and even when I told other people about it, I was non-specific. Gale, I presumed, was the same.

I put in an original teaser for our potential Mentor characters above (Petra's teaser would have been different, as would the events that led to the reveal from another choice of play).

We'll be meeting the Mentors before we leave the castle, probably. Their headcanons and default names are now listed on the Cast Post on Page 1 of this thread, post 3. They are also open for renaming at this time.

Mealtime posted:

Gale has brought a small bag of food from the castle kitchens for you to enjoy. You sit down to eat this meal, paying no mind to your dirty hands. Gale takes some of the food and begins to eat.

During the meal, I noticed that Gale, not Freda, had prepared the majority of the food we were eating. I also got the feeling that Gale was waiting for me to make a move on her. If she was attracted to me, I guessed that she was not willing to make the first move, either because of our friendship or because I was Heir to the Kingdom of Daria. If I made the first move, it might be ok, but she wouldn't make it herself.

As I was not attracted to Gale, I made no move that evidenced otherwise. Gale's unusual interest in me seemed to wane midway through the meal.

If we had chosen an orientation attracted to our friend earlier, we'd get an opportunity here to start an innocent childhood romance (nothing beyond kissing, we are 12!) and earn extra Relationship points. But we're not attracted to Gale, so that choice is skipped with the option to earn no extra points.

Regardless of Romance, we get the following choice.

What kind of friend are we? posted:

The meal slowly begins to disappear as you fill your stomachs. Gale speaks between bites.

- "Mom says I should start thinking about my future."

1.Ask, "What do you want to do?"

2. Say kindly, "You're a good cook. Couldn't you take over as head cook?"

3. Say coldly, "You're just a servant. Just do as you're told."

So how do we treat Gale here? The response results may or may not be obvious. I'll check in midday tomorrow for a good majority, then proceed.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 20, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Say kindly....

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Be kind, of course!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

What do you want to do?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Ask and ye shall receive.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, we have a tie between Kindly & What do you want to do? so I'm rolling a six-sided die on my phone app. Odds means Kindly, evens the other. [rolls] 3 is odd.

Before we proceed, a heads up to those not in the know. Social Interaction and building Relationships is a big part of these games. High Relationship is needed to unlock rewards from regular characters such as Gale including training, Romance Options if you're interested, and aid in desperate situations. We'll see examples of all this later on. Social interaction will get harder. Nobody picked the negative option here, so I assume we're avoiding that for now. If in the future, we decide we don't like a certain character, that's fine also. I'm game for whatever play style readers pick.

Kindly is positive here, Ask was neutral (no points either way) and the answer gets shown off regardless if you are positive.

Responding Kindly posted:

"You're a good cook. Couldn't you take over as head cook?"

Gale smiles at your compliment, then shakes her head. Gale Relationship +3, Good +2.

- "Mom spent ten years as a kitchen maid. Then ten more years as assistant cook and another ten years as cook's apprentice before she became head cook. I don't know if I want to do that."

"Well, you can do whatever you want."

- "Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to live my own life. Away from the castle and everything."

Every twelve year old in the world has probably had the same ideas, regardless of background and personal situation.

Gale finally pops a last morsel of food in her mouth and stands up.

- "I have to go. Mom will need help with the big banquet tonight."

You are also busy. You have lessons and should have left several minutes ago. Harmond, your tutor, who is also the Court Wizard, will probably be anxious because you're running late. You hurry off to the library, giving Gale a quick wave before you go.

Biggs and Wedge escort you back inside the castle, then leave you at the library with friendly nods.

When you arrive at the library, the Court Wizard Harmond is waiting for you. You have to respect the old man- he doesn't say a word about the condition of your clothing as you arrive.

I'm keeping Harmond's name the default since nobody spoke up about renaming him so far. If people prefer, I can drop renaming until a subsequent run. There hasn't been interest thus far, and I can see that people would prefer not to do it and thus more easily follow the canon game.

Let me know or remain silent, either way is fine. I'll take silence as "no renaming, thx" and keep it as an option if at least two people say yes.

Tutoring posted:

There are many books placed across the table in front of Harmond. As a princess, you are expected to be well-versed in politics, economics, history, geography, heraldry, spellcraft, and religion. In addition to your academic studies, you have been taught to ride, hunt, play musical instruments, speak eloquently, and dance.

Harmond has been your primary instructor in all of this since you were six years old.

- "Good day, Your Highness. Glad you could make it."

I wasn't sure if Harmond meant the latter comment in good or bad taste. His tone was sometimes a mystery to me.

Harmond is the easily recognizable Patrick Stewart, a teacher trusted by young heroes everywhere, including superhero comics and space.

We don't have a Relationship Stat with him, it can be assumed he's used to whatever type of person we are.

What do we like to learn? posted:

Out of all the things Harmond teaches you, there is one subject class you like best.

1. Your academic studies are your favourite.

2. Your music, diplomacy, and dance classes are your favourite.

3. You don't care for any of your studies, preferring to be doing something physical instead.

Ok, more character building and Skill bonuses available here. I'll see which one people want around 1700 CST, then proceed with Harmond's exposition lecture. :)

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 21, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Music, diplomancy and dance. Alternate life Renata leaking through I guess!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

academic

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
We're an academia nut!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
2-1 on Academia. BTW, if anyone needs more time to post, I'm moving too fast for you, etc, no big deal. Just speak up here or in PM and I will gladly see if I can slow things to an easier schedule for all of us. As said before, balancing fan participation with LP/game length is the biggest challenge here. I have a basic outline, but I'm largely making this up as we go, one bit at a time. I don't mind rewriting stuff, even at the last minute. Nor do I mind being kept on my toes.

That said...

Renata likes Academia! posted:

Harmond smiles proudly as you immediately fling open the books in front of you. You recall the many topics you have discussed and read about, facts and answers flowing freely in your mind.

(History +10, Geography +10, Arcana +10, and Religion +10)

A nice Knowledge stat bonus here.

Exposition Begins posted:

Harmond talks to you for several hours, going over many topics recently covered in his past lectures. Then, after several hours of study, he speaks in reply to a study question you answered correctly.

- "Very good, Renata. Now, tell me what you know of the Consortium of Planewalkers."

I blinked. Harmond had mentioned this topic several times during various lessons, but the occasions were many and far between. I could only recall a few basic facts. From his expression, I judged that he was hoping for a good answer that would save us both lecture time. But what to say?

1. Say, "Demon worshippers."

2. Say, "Their compound is in Vernex, a city in the north."

3. Say, "You're the teacher; now stop being lazy and do your job."

4. Say knowledgeably, "A political and arcane movement for the increased allowance of demonic evocation."

5. Make up something.

This is largely a false choice, but two of the above answers, plus the secret one we unlocked by being a good student, provide special bonuses. Not saying which three are special, y'all can guess. I'll move forward with the majority sometime around 2 am tonight unless more time is needed (see above).

On #5, you don't have to really make up something unless you feel like it. The game does provide. :lol:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Use the knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Quit being lazy old man! :argh:

• Locked thread