Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Just bought a Mega Millions ticket, I will let you if I win. Or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
thanks

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Can't you look up the published winners and find scratcher games that have better odds? Like if there are 10 jackpots and only 3 have been claimed and the game is about to expire you can assume maybe the winners are on the end of the ticket rolls?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Are there any scratch off games where the expected loss is relatively small (≤2%)?

Could be a decent manufactured spending strategy for credit cards with a minimum spend for a signup bonus, esp if they do cashback.

(Some states, hilariously, allow you to buy lotto tickets with credit cards)

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

For anyone who lives near the Fun Town Quik Mart in Booneville, KY, my model shows that there's an extra percentage that the Mega Balls numbers will be chosen from this store...

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

is this thread only about scratch-it tickets or about lottery in general? because I got a system for powerball style lotteries that im pretty sure will work out.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
Go back and time and do this:
https://www.wired.com/2011/01/ff_lottery/

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
https://twitter.com/DRUDGE_REPORT/status/925111450955214848

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

lol the odds of those tickets winning isn't statistically different than a standard lottery ticket

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Coolness Averted posted:

lol the odds of those tickets winning isn't statistically different than a standard lottery ticket

Since their chances were literally not .000001 or whatever yes, they were

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

maskenfreiheit posted:

Since their chances were literally not .000001 or whatever yes, they were

the article posted:

If you buy a Mega Millions ticket in Virginia, you usually have a 0.00000033 percent chance of winning the big jackpot.
Or did you mean that as "anything regardless of how low that isn't fully zero does not equal zero?" unless you're talking about a chemical that's dangerous at the ppm level, nah, that small of a number is not significant and not something you should ever think about. Like they totally should get a refund, but if they're not worried about a meteorite striking and killing them, they really shouldn't be hoping to win the lottery.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
You're using "statistically different" when you actually mean "significantly different". Bad.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

potatoducks posted:

You're using "statistically different" when you actually mean "significantly different". Bad.

I don't think I've ever seen 'statistically different' used as jargon, care to explain it? Usually folks for example will say "statistically speaking.." to refer to probabilities and things being unlikely or similar likelihood. Since the joke of the thread is played out, I'd love to learn something.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
The value of a lottery ticket is defined by the odds of the ticket winning and the cost of the ticket. The odds of winning times the payout at time of purchase is the expected value of the ticket. While most lottery tickets, most of the time have an expected value less than their face value (and thus are a bad purchase), there's still an expected value that is knowable and people can buy the ticket with that knowledge.

Changing the odds of payout changes the expected value and means that people buying the ticket are being mislead about the value of the ticket. Part of the whole justification of legalized gambling with lotteries is that all the information is available up front and so people are fully responsible for their decisions. When you sell tickets with a claimed expected value and it turns out to actually be a different expected value, that's defrauding the purchaser.

You could argue that it's moot and the math illiterate people who are buying the tickets didn't make their decision off expected value anyway so why care, and it's basically entirely down to how the state justifies embracing the moral hazard of being the house (in a gambling sense).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Thank goodness lottery advertising doesn't completely emphasize the fact that if you buy a ticket you are surely going to become a millionaire. People could be misled about the chance of winning.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Elephanthead posted:

Thank goodness lottery advertising doesn't completely emphasize the fact that if you buy a ticket you are surely going to become a millionaire. People could be misled about the chance of winning.

All profits go to the schools too! So it's a win-win! *pays an appointed Lottery Commissioner between 6 figures - a million a year* gosh kids, looks like there's not any profits this year :(

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Got my Mega Millions ticket

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

vaginal facsimile posted:

Got my Mega Millions ticket

So... did you win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit