Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I don't know if I can give Valve too much credit for not having microtransactions at launch since it was a lot less common in 2007 and they basically helped invent the entire monetization model for modern shooters, especially since one of the TF2's most impactful innovations was unfortunately lootboxes.

Ah gently caress, who am I kidding? I love the TF2 cosmetics and have spent real world money on videogame items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The first time I got a crate, got excited for a brand new gun, and then realized it cost me $2.50 to open it, I decided the whole fad was stupid

edit: Nothing like opening a few crates with some of your christmas money (you are a teenager right now) and you get 3 Jags, a Fists of Steel, and a Flipped Trilby

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If you wanna kill people as medic try shooting the needle gun while running backwards it's a great trick and always gets big laughs at parties.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It's absolutely a different situation and won't be nearly as successful because TF2 is still around and free to play and STILL has a decent player base but I wonder how successful a battlebit style three guys in a basement low res copy of team fortress would be.

Like okay tf2 is already pretty low res on account of being almost 20 years old but you know what i mean.

Like obviously with some things changed and added. After so long with nothing new I bet people would be frothing for a new mechanic or two.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 2, 2024

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Whitenoise Poster posted:

It's absolutely a different situation and won't be nearly as successful because TF2 is still around and free to play and STILL has a decent player base....

It doesn't matter that people still enjoy TF2 because bots and cheaters killed TF2. Casual servers are full of cheaters. Ranked matches have even more cheaters.

Valve also refuses to fix any out of bounds sentry glitches. It's impossible to play multiple maps because every match ends with invincible level 3 sentry outside spawn.

The only remaining servers are custom servers with dedicated admins to kick cheaters. Those servers also have the sweatiest tryhard players so they aren't fun.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

what's with Dota2 and CS2 not being filled with bots in the same way TF2 is? Does Valve have better anti-cheat and moderation for those games? Are the botters just not trying as hard to sink those games?

Like, cause I'm very much in the belief that Valve just cares more about CS and Dota, probably because their respective MTX rakes in more moolah, but at the same time, I'd like to think it's just personal bias that's fueling that negativity cause it feels like TF2 is relatively easy money for Valve, so for them not to do the basic maintenance against cheaters seems shocking.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I assure you there is no shortage of bad, goofy, or Friendly players in even the "sweaty" servers

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TF2 runs on a literal potato so its much easier to have multiple instances of it running or run it in a virtual machine or whatever, or set up bot farms for it.

like even when it was new it was notable for how old a machine you could run it on.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

yeah, even I can occasionally top score on an uncletopia server, and I am loving terrible at this game

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Endorph posted:

TF2 runs on a literal potato so its much easier to have multiple instances of it running or run it in a virtual machine or whatever, or set up bot farms for it.

like even when it was new it was notable for how old a machine you could run it on.

It wouldn't run on mine lmao. Man I wish I got in on the ground floor.

Oxyclean posted:

Are the botters just not trying as hard to sink those games?

Is that what they're trying to do for real?

... Why?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i spent a summer in quebec city playing tf2 on an ancient netbook that was so prone to overheating that i had to play with it sitting in my dorm room's minifridge so that it wouldn't bluescreen. one my friends had tripped over the power cord at full speed and tore the wire out of the plug part and my high school physics teacher had soldered it back together. i bought it in ireland so it also needed a cheap airport converter to fit into the wall socket. at some point the RA became aware of this setup somehow and i got an email saying that they weren't sure what it was it was for but i definitely wasn't allowed to do it, but i kept doing it anyway and it never got brought up again

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

... Why?

Most of them are just doing it because they enjoy pissing in people's cheerios and TF2 is a more accessible target. Some of them are working on the bots themselves and regard it as a programming challenge. But weirdly, yes, some of them have made statements that they specifically want to sink TF2 because they think people should move on and play other newer games.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

... Why?
Even without hearing from the people running the bots, it's pretty obvious they're just trying to spoil the game for other people. Like, bots in most other games are either for making money (MMO farming bots) or cheating something, but that's more of the territory of like "aim bot" where it's still a player mostly at the wheel. There doesn't seem to be much to be gained by the TF2 bots, since you can just idle for items in a trade server.

TF2 bots seem to just be an automated thing designed to make the game as unplayable as possible. Maybe I just haven't played enough online games, but it feels like a very unique phenomena to load into a game, see a bunch of snipers on both teams all congregating in the middle of the map, staring at the sky, until a player has the misfortune to show up, at which point they are shot instantly. Like, bots on opposing teams aren't even fighting each other, that's how much they're set up to just spoil the fun of humans.

Then there's also the mic spamming, or the fact they aren't subtle at all. (Outside of the bots I've seen trying to direct ire towards a person making anti-botting tools by "impersonating" them.)

Like, it's not even "piss people off for content" either from what I can tell, because it's happening on such a large and consistent scale. It feels really wild.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The bots are clearly a product of a conspiracy of all the major companies who think it should be illegal for you to play a game older than six months instead of buying the hot new thing right NOW.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Oxyclean posted:

Even without hearing from the people running the bots, it's pretty obvious they're just trying to spoil the game for other people. Like, bots in most other games are either for making money (MMO farming bots) or cheating something, but that's more of the territory of like "aim bot" where it's still a player mostly at the wheel. There doesn't seem to be much to be gained by the TF2 bots, since you can just idle for items in a trade server.

TF2 bots seem to just be an automated thing designed to make the game as unplayable as possible. Maybe I just haven't played enough online games, but it feels like a very unique phenomena to load into a game, see a bunch of snipers on both teams all congregating in the middle of the map, staring at the sky, until a player has the misfortune to show up, at which point they are shot instantly. Like, bots on opposing teams aren't even fighting each other, that's how much they're set up to just spoil the fun of humans.

Then there's also the mic spamming, or the fact they aren't subtle at all. (Outside of the bots I've seen trying to direct ire towards a person making anti-botting tools by "impersonating" them.)

Like, it's not even "piss people off for content" either from what I can tell, because it's happening on such a large and consistent scale. It feels really wild.

Many of the bots seem to advertise various sites, I'd imagine the intent is to get other people to pay to download the aimbots / hacks / etc for themselves.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Whitenoise Poster posted:

It's absolutely a different situation and won't be nearly as successful because TF2 is still around and free to play and STILL has a decent player base but I wonder how successful a battlebit style three guys in a basement low res copy of team fortress would be.

Like okay tf2 is already pretty low res on account of being almost 20 years old but you know what i mean.

Like obviously with some things changed and added. After so long with nothing new I bet people would be frothing for a new mechanic or two.

Is it silly to say I think it an indie tf2 clone would struggle to land because off the bat you'd struggle to get 9 distintive VOs for the classes? In my mind a major part of the games longevity is that they killed it with 9 very unique and entertaining characters; you couldn't just make a game with better gameplay, you'd also have to make a game with better personality.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Vagabong posted:

Is it silly to say I think it an indie tf2 clone would struggle to land because off the bat you'd struggle to get 9 distintive VOs for the classes? In my mind a major part of the games longevity is that they killed it with 9 very unique and entertaining characters; you couldn't just make a game with better gameplay, you'd also have to make a game with better personality.

Heavy and Demo share a VO! And so did Spy and Pyro but that's cheating a little.

e: Rest in Peace Rick May

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Reiley posted:

e: Rest in Peace Rick May

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Vagabong posted:

I'm now realizing the bootlegged tf2 game that exists only in my vague daydreams during the slow parts of work would be a major flop if made real. I didn't think for even a second about personalities or voice actors. I got distracted by dreams of making a class with no guns but can place twelve different kinds of mines and other such nonsense.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Love tf2. Hate valve.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh god if you think people hate sentrys they're really gonna love mines.

Dongicus posted:

Love tf2. Hate valve.

No argument there

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Team Fortress 2 Classic has a mine layer as a weapon for Demoman and it's actually really fun and surprisingly well balanced

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Arae posted:

It doesn't matter that people still enjoy TF2 because bots and cheaters killed TF2. Casual servers are full of cheaters. Ranked matches have even more cheaters.
not that the game doesn't have problems but it really isn't that hard to find matches without bots. just have to dodge games that already have too many and aggressively kick when they appear

also loving nobody plays ranked

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I think we already talked about like a page ago but I just want to shout out to tf2 for having the best sentry gun in an fps. Everyone else is a coward who make their sentry guns out of glass and paper and shoot out funny tickle bullets and then nerf them even more when the players all start crying about it. TF2 has a beefy fucker that WILL kill you if it sees you.

To go off topic a bit like my number one problem with Tribes 3 compared to Tribes 2 is that as far as I can tell I can no longer place up to 20 outdoor and 20 indoor turrets anymore. The oppression of automated defenses and the freaks who build them has gotten out of hand. Let me tend my gardens.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 3, 2024

Steiv
Oct 16, 2005

Sweet Jesus it's the fabled Mardi Gras Cat-bird!
Why the gently caress am I suddenly getting kicked for “being a bot”?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

funny enough it’s because the bots are doing vote kicks on any non bot in the server. Some servers just become bot dominated no man’s lands

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I've definitely had real people kick me even though I protested. It's not like I'm good either. I might top the scoreboard in pub casual once every 200 matches. What's really weird is I've initiated kickvotes for a platypus: sniper and spinning nonstop and again the same name as so many other bots out there and people started saying he was real and getting real lovely about it. Game's an absolute mess.

Why do snipers look up when they're botting anyway, seems like they wouldn't see anything below a certain threshold.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've definitely had real people kick me even though I protested. It's not like I'm good either. I might top the scoreboard in pub casual once every 200 matches. What's really weird is I've initiated kickvotes for a platypus: sniper and spinning nonstop and again the same name as so many other bots out there and people started saying he was real and getting real lovely about it. Game's an absolute mess.

Why do snipers look up when they're botting anyway, seems like they wouldn't see anything below a certain threshold.

The client gets enough data from the server to know where things are outside of the FOV, so from the bot's perspective it makes no difference where the camera is pointed.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Milo and POTUS posted:

One of the older hack software packages used to have a free mode where the person using it would look straight up, spin in circles, and spam ads for itself in chat, basically being as unsubtle as possible so the prospective cheater would have more reason to pay for the hack software. A sniper walking around looking straight up is basically established language for cheating because of this, and the current bot software mimics it.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Medic is fun and always has been. Always dot for medic.

Back in ye olden times when folks would use voice chat regularly it was the best way to learn how to stay alive against players better than you. You get to focus on moving while your heal target worries about killing the dude shooting at you, and then they would just say "pop" and you'd pop until these things became second nature. When I was still a little baby and first started playing on the LCs I was playing medic constantly to not get my rear end beat.

It can get tiring to be the med round after round, but a map or two is plenty. The real issue now is juggling the team's need for a medic versus you yourself being the person on the team that is going to get the most done if there's a medic around. I've had too many games on like Borneo where I've said gently caress it, and stopped being the only medic to spycap because teammates do not want to go forward.

Which I think is the real difference between the game now and a decade ago. Any given team is going to have a number of players who do not want to play the map they are on and want to do the funny loadout. Your full demoknight will not put his toys away for a minute to get past a sentry nest. Your soldier has mastered rocket jumping and cannot be killed by the enemy team zooming around non-stop with the jumper but will get a kill once every 3 minutes instead of once every 3 rockets. Your scout is doing cool skateboard tricks. Then the enemy team caps first and 5 people demand a scramble because while they have no intention of doing anything to win, they absolutely refuse to lose.

Game's always had it's gimmicks, but the scout in 2007 wildly swinging a bat ineffectively at a heavy medic combo was still something the enemy needed to track and shoot.

I'm old.

Reiley posted:

Thanks, Mrs. DeGroot.

Thank u for remembering tf2tags.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Dr. Dos posted:

Medic is fun and always has been. Always dot for medic.

Back in ye olden times when folks would use voice chat regularly it was the best way to learn how to stay alive against players better than you. You get to focus on moving while your heal target worries about killing the dude shooting at you, and then they would just say "pop" and you'd pop until these things became second nature. When I was still a little baby and first started playing on the LCs I was playing medic constantly to not get my rear end beat.

It can get tiring to be the med round after round, but a map or two is plenty. The real issue now is juggling the team's need for a medic versus you yourself being the person on the team that is going to get the most done if there's a medic around. I've had too many games on like Borneo where I've said gently caress it, and stopped being the only medic to spycap because teammates do not want to go forward.

Which I think is the real difference between the game now and a decade ago. Any given team is going to have a number of players who do not want to play the map they are on and want to do the funny loadout. Your full demoknight will not put his toys away for a minute to get past a sentry nest. Your soldier has mastered rocket jumping and cannot be killed by the enemy team zooming around non-stop with the jumper but will get a kill once every 3 minutes instead of once every 3 rockets. Your scout is doing cool skateboard tricks. Then the enemy team caps first and 5 people demand a scramble because while they have no intention of doing anything to win, they absolutely refuse to lose.

Game's always had it's gimmicks, but the scout in 2007 wildly swinging a bat ineffectively at a heavy medic combo was still something the enemy needed to track and shoot.

I'm old.

Thank u for remembering tf2tags.

Sounds kind of annoying. I start playing this game again every few years. Last time I did I didn't remember the gimmicky stuff too much. But then again it was halloween and I wanted some achieves.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Can't believe i'm gonna say this but... I kinda love the shortstop. I know it's weird, but I can't help it. Like I know it's not the "meta" but I'm so far behind that curve that it's kinda pointless for me to even concern myself with it and due to my mouse issues, playing up close with the scattergun and having to deal with the occasional flick shot is pretty much impossible and I just kinda love mid range scout and being impossibly annoying. I go pure bleeder as the theme so I get to actually use all my weapons and I'm pretty sure (or maybe it just feels that way since you're moving) that the cleaver and ornament have different ballistics and while that's annoying sometimes, at least it keeps me engaged. I am tempted very often to switch to the healing pistol because you live forever hanging back with the cool kids as is and would doubtless live longer if I plink away at buildings with the pretty boy after mag dumping them with the peppergun but god I love bleed so much. It's like afterburn but much less bullshit. Boy do I suck at landing hits with it though

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

isn't bleed more bullshit since you can only heal it via medic or medkit (counting heavy food items here)? Afterburn you can jump in water or a sniper, scout, pyro can put you out in addition to the original two classes mentioned.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Bleeds are less common and require more ability to aim is my main response. When someone is set on fire it's usually either a pyro lighting everyone in range meaning you also take the direct damage from the flamethrower and thus are in more danger from dying from it. Or it's either a longer range shot from one of the various flare guns and the only one I find particularly annoying is the scorch shot among them.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The Shortstop fucks hard and it's severely underrated imo. Yes, it is worse than the scatter gun if you try to play it like a scatter gun... Which is why you don't do that lol. Surprisingly few classes are actually good at mid range - most have to rely on a pistol, meaning if you keep at the right distance you can basically clown on everything and there's nothing they can do. It also doesn't really have the downtime as the scatterguns do, so you don't need to rely on your secondary, meaning you have a lot more options there. Crit a cola for even longer range damage, mad milk for more support, bonk for getting out of bad situations, etc etc. It's a great primary that is severely underestimated because most scouts (and players in general) refuse to adjust their play style.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I like that the shortstop's animation was never revisited after they changed it and now the scout reloads it at elderly speed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Evil Kit posted:

isn't bleed more bullshit since you can only heal it via medic or medkit (counting heavy food items here)? Afterburn you can jump in water or a sniper, scout, pyro can put you out in addition to the original two classes mentioned.

You got to jump into sufficiently deep water I think and that's rarer than it seems like it should be. Also I really hate most games "getting out of water" rigmarole and tf2 is no exception. So many deaths struggling to exit the water, usually after I've been set on fire. As for the pyros, I play casual and lol nobody extinguishes you in casual it seems because they're insane, new or phlog users. Plus it feels like it lasts forever though it might just seem like that because I'm on fire.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Water should indefinitely extend bleed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I like that engi weapon where it bleeds for anti spy work it's hilarious to me and it's awesome when it works.

Usually they just shoot them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Southern Hospitality is good to pull out when you've been dealing with an especially obnoxious Spy who just won't get the message that he needs to go gently caress off back to France already

On a related note I've really come to despise the Red Tape Recorder over the course of the last week or so cause while it is an objectively bad weapon(and worse than the regular Sapper in basically every respect) it is also really loving annoying to deal with and the kind of Spy players who use it tend to be assholes even by the standards of people who main him