Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Weeping Wound posted:

and this is after I reset my playtime due to using the auto-idler back in the day :shepicide:
What? How?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

ChickenHeart posted:

Why did this awful matchmaking replace the server browser, again?
We've been asking for years.

Is there some sort of trick to actually playing the game now (besides "don't live in the middle east")? I've been stuck in casual queue for 15 minutes.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The new pyro weapon burns you down in an instant.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Do you actually get better rewards if you complete a contract with all the bonus objectives?

Also, I miss being able to work on two contracts at once :/

You know what the pyro absolutely needed? A way to outright destroy sentries from distance.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ok, now I've been in the queue for an hour. Twice.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/recommended/440

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

nielsm posted:

Except it has really short range and doesn't explode as such? It's just an alternate flamethrower that rewards] precise single-shot aim and timing over decent tracking aim.
You're loving kidding me.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Countblanc posted:

this update gave pyro literally zero tools for dealing with engineer, just build a sentry somewhere.
What? This update gave the pyro a rocket launcher. Half a dozen pyros spam the Dragon at you, and your sentry goes right the gently caress down (nevermind that the sentry doesn't shield you from the projectile, so you get burned down in an instant)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Slime posted:

gently caress dude half a dozen anythings will tear up your sentry and then you. Half a dozen medics can take out your sentry easy.
A pyro is meant to be a close-range class. Half a dozen of them charging at a level three or trying to shotgun / flare it to death wouldn't necessarily work - and that's ok, because the sentry is meant to be a bit of a hard counter against a close-range ambush class. Fighting against pyros right now is basically containing with waves of rocket spam - except the hitbox is larger, and if one rocket clips you, another one will just wipe you out.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Defense contracts are incredible. You have to have that very specific level of skill disparity for the enemy team to make it to the objective without being killed by your team, yet not in such overwhelming force that you can't... well, defend the goddamned objective. Oh, and they refuse to register half the time (STANDING on the objective, as you defend it, is OBVIOUSLY a no-no - you have to kill the enemy while initially not blocking their capture of the objective)

So as a category, that's harder than any other type of contract (outside from CTF contracts, which suffer from the exact same issue).

So of course approximately half the non-weapon contracts have a defense sub-objective.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

edit: xander, killing a guy who is touching the cart, or even just touching the cart while someone is pushing it, also counts as defending.
Kinda the same deal? Also, I suck.

But seriously, you still need to make sure that there aren't enough people on the cart to annihilate your rear end, but also that they're getting past your teams defenses and pushing. On a PL map, very often the only way for the cart to get pushed is with a giant ball of death around it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Trying to finish two contracts.

1 - The fists of steel. I got the "take 1000 damage in a single life" one several times, yet not a single one of the "block 500 damage". I'm literally standing on the 2fort sniper spots, taking damage with my fists out.

2. Apparently the advanced medic "get x assists during an ubercharge" objective only counts medigun ubers? Please tell me otherwise.

3. Edit - Gunslinger contract. I set up my sentry, it kills things - I'm getting "kills with primary weapon" but not the bonus "Kill with a sentry". WTF.

Edit - Ah. It counts kills made by level 1 (and only level 1) sentries. Makes sense.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 22, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

So googling around, a lot of sub-contracts just... literally do not work.

And once you chose one, you're stuck with it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

turboraton posted:

Google less and play this f2p game more. Contracts are fine.
3 kills with one sentry and "crit melee kills" with gunslinger outright don't work. But thank you for your valuable input.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

How do co-op / friends contracts work?

Also, does anyone in this thread live anywhere near the Middle East?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fixed, apparently. As well as the contract bugs.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I still hate how you can no longer work on two contracts at once (really, you should be able to work on a bunch).

Why can't I do the soldier and black box contracts at the same time, so I can try and fail to dive-bomb people 20 times instead of 40?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Dropping the defense contracts requirements confirms what I was saying. The team doesn't actually play TF2, and has no idea how difficult and fortuitous those have to be.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I've got the advanced "heal 500 health within 1 second" contract for the Amputator. Is it bugged? I keep playing my jaunty tune near a cart of point full of injured teammates, and nothing is happening.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Is there a point to finishing every single contract? Or at least every primary objective?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

nielsm posted:

Yes, get more stars, needed to unlock contracts. Basic contracts cost one star to unlock, some cost two or three stars, and some super bonus require many more.
No, I'm asking if there's anything special you earn by finishing every single available contract (or primary objective)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Every time a match starts and everyone spends a few seconds held in place, unable to move, there are 1-2 people who are free to move around and leave the spawn. Random chance, or a glitch I could exploit?

Also, is there anything special you earn by finishing every single available contract (or primary objective)?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

How long do the Halloween contracts last? As long as the sale, or longer?

For some reason the Dragon Fury doesn't go through spawn doors. Which I think is... unique? I mean, you can't throw stickies through spawn doors, but at least the actual explosion damage penetrates.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 28, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jabor posted:

Are you talking about doors, or the no-entrance signs?
No-entrance signs.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

nielsm posted:

I'll probably wait for a while before redeeming it or see if it's worth selling.
You can sell it right now - and it will (as I understand it) only go down in price as more people complete their contracts.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

For some goddamned reason, Dragon Fury flames outright don't register on the Nucleus point.

Also, the contract stars are not interchangeable, but rather are tracked separately for each contract category, which is fantastic.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone feels like friending me and helping me check something out ingame?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

ArfJason posted:

sure why not
Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3K3tFv8D1Q

Thanks Gaben.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 31, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

A lot of hackers around lately. Do they come in waves? Got three hackers in three consecutive games. The last one went on about Jews, so either he took a look at my profile, or that's just his thing. Just goes to show that if you're scum in one way, you're probably scum in general.

I do have wonder what it takes for a pub team to actually kick someone. Isn't it great that you can't kick someone on the other team?

I love, love, LOVE how you can't actually war-paint weapons, only create a new normal painted weapon, which means that you can't actually paint any of the weapons that matter to you. Wait, did I say "love"? I meant, "hate, who the gently caress even comes up with these stupid ideas", obviously.

Isn't it great that the pyro jetpack has such a long weapon switch delay that you can neither run from fights nor dive-bomb people? It didn't need either of those drawbacks, and it certainly would have been slightly underpowered with just one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Did the Holiday Punch get stealth-buffed, or is there some weird new glitch for it?

Running into a heavy abusing it - every punch was a crit, he would punch right out of the taunt, and he would (of course) happily switch to the tomislav if airblasted. His secondary was the shotgun, so he wasn't crit-boosted or anything.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 9, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Nucleus.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Did anyone do a proper review of what all the update weapon changes did in practice?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Agoat posted:

I could do one. I've been wanting to make TF2 content for a while.
Please do.

crabf posted:

Not specifically weapon changes but b4nny did a post-update thoughts like a week after the update hit.
Backpfeifengesicht.

Meanwhile:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1201256540
To quote carpet - not fixed, never will be.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 14, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

This game has a lot of highs and lows. Just utterly dominated a team on koth_badlands, got sincere accusations of hacking (as a pyro).

Yesterday I got my poo poo conclusively pushed in by a huntsman sniper that just headshot me over and over, finally advising me to quit TF2 - since I didn't get gud by this point, I probably never will. Hurt my feelings, man.

Does the report button actually DO anything? Since we're talking about valve, I don't imagine it does, but still.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 9, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

crabf posted:

pyro does a ton of damage right now. i think someone said they did a mirror bot test and found that versus a heavy, whether or not they are revved up already, a pyro will either win a 1v1 head-on or will kill the heavy with afterburn.
Nah. I often attacked revved-up heavies with a backburner, and it's really a matter of how well we both turn. If they zero in on me and I botch my strafing, I'm dead and they have plenty of time to nom. And that's (usually) starting with a backburner crit.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 9, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Killing replays only killed his youtube videos for 3 years. Was there ever any explanation for why that happened, anyway?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

The new flamethrower particles are definitely acting weird. I killed a backburner pyro running straight at me as Heavy, spun down, turned around, and then got hit by the backburner crits. The pyro being long dead.
Constantly happens in pyro duels now. Drop the other guy, turn to walk away, die. I even asked one, and he told me that on his end, I died first.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fun bug:

I didn't have an ubersaw (of any kind) in my inventory, but one of the new weapon paints allowed me to outright create one out of nothingness.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Started the game and got a little message telling me that a person I reported got banned.

1. :)

2. Is that a new thing, or is this the first time anyone I reported in my years of playing TF2 got banned?

Do you think the game balance would be wrecked if every class got to use 2 secondary weapons (in addition to the primary and melee, with the medic using two "primary" weapons and 1 medigun)? I think it would be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Slime posted:

Imagine if you will, a heavy with sandvich + dalokahs. Or Sandvich + banana. Picture a soldier with the gunboats + a shotgun. Or gunboats + a banner. Or two banners. There'll be charging, sticky dropping demomen. Engineers with the wrangler and the short circuit together. It would be madness.
I'm imagining most of those. And it doesn't strike me as horrifying. What do you think the effect of two healing items would be?

It does make sense to either restrict soldiers to one banner, or make them only charge one at a time. Really, targe + stickies is the only one that strikes me as particularly broken.