Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm traveling and won't get to play until the end of the month :(

Looking forward to spending hours unfucking my config knocking heads and blowing up fools though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mabels big day posted:

The love of a sentry

he loves that little gun a biiiit more than is natural if you ask me

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
basically if you tag someone with the vita saw as you die you get a leg up on rebuilding your uber, which is potentially more reliable than clutch finish-building-your-charge ubersaw plays.

does it still have the health penalty? if so then it's probably not going to be a popular choice.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you can rustle up 5 other people you enjoy playing with that are also keen, it should be pretty good.

Not sure I'd recommend jumping in with randos though - it'd be really hard to find people at the appropriate level of seriousness, and having a big seriousness mismatch isn't so great for having fun.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Xander77 posted:

How long do the Halloween contracts last? As long as the sale, or longer?

For some reason the Dragon Fury doesn't go through spawn doors. Which I think is... unique? I mean, you can't throw stickies through spawn doors, but at least the actual explosion damage penetrates.

Are you talking about doors, or the no-entrance signs?

Because everything goes through the signs and nothing (afaik) goes through closed doors.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
good

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
where are you finding non-valve servers, lmao

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Slime posted:

So does pyro's shotgun feel almost pointless to anyone else now

like his flamethrower is so murderous now that the time taken to switch to it often isn't worth the loss in flamethrower time

it's always been that way though

the only reason to switch weapons is for enemies outside flamethrower range or for a specific high-damage combo like airblast into flare (rip reserve shooter, rip axtinguisher)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I pity the person who got to 99 points on their first round.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
honestly, demoman with sticky launcher and festive stickybomb launcher just sounds insane

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Flying around has been the best part of the game right from day 1.

But yeah, now Pyro can also get in on the fun.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just throw some stickies down while the pyro is taunting, demonstration man wins again

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Okay I'll post every time I buy keys

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Tf2 is full of "skill moments" - bits where you do something awesome and are rewarded for it. You land an airshot on a bombing soldier/pyro and he explodes into chunks. You flank a medic out of nowhere and the dropped uber crackles over his body. You headshot a scout and his head snaps backwards then his limp ragdoll tumbles to the ground. You spin up and hose someone down at close range and his body just goes flying.

Overwatch lacks that visceral satisfaction - you point your gun at someone for a bit and eventually they just kinda vanish - and that's when you're actually fighting and not just standing behind a blue wall shooting at another blue wall because ???

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Kicking community servers out of quick play pretty much killed them. Without that steady stream of players to keep a server filled, there's no way to keep regulars coming back. That's also probably killed custom maps, since there's no way to play them. The only reason to make a custom map is to try and get it included in an official update, because definitely no-one's going to play it otherwise.

The only non-official servers that get players these days are either surf/jump servers or competition-related.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Which is why it was a good thing when Valve started quickplay and started booting out the really lovely pay-to-win and horrific advertising servers. I mean yeah it sucked that you couldn't really get a nocrit server going any more, but the general pattern of "play a round of upward or badwater whenever player count drops too low, before moving back to whatever fun map people vote for" was pretty reasonable for sustaining the "good" community servers.

Then it all just died when quickplay was cut back to official servers only.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The fun answer to a phlog pyro is to just chuck some stickies underneath him while he's taunting (or between him and you, if you need a little more time to set up a lethal amount).

He doesn't even have an airblast to push them away!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Axtinguisher now minicrits instead of full crits, but has a damage bonus based on how much afterburn is left (which should be a lot, if you're doing old-school puff and sting stuff).

Will have to play around with it, but if the damage bonus is enough to get kills then it could make a comeback.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Anyone else seeing any new surveys at the end of maps? Just got one asking how I feel about random crits, which I don't think I've seen before.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
How do you stream snipe people in quick play? That seems inordinately difficult.

That thing about a "so wacky you guys" admin sounds like he was playing on community servers, which is definitely not how "tf2 as it currently exists" is really played.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ditocoaf posted:

I keep wanting to get into Overwatch, but I wish they had even a single class that's close-range with long delays between shots. TF2's mostly about shotguns and explosives that require you to dodge around for a second before you shoot again. Everything's a hose in Overwatch, even its shotguns, and I don't enjoy damage hoses.

I had a lot of fun with Roadhog at launch. Slow-firing stuff that requires accuracy but absolutely dunks on someone if it hits. You'd think Junkrat and Pharah would have been fun as well, but ime they tended more towards the "spam at the big cluster of people" style of play rather than being about hitting individual good shots.

Dunno if that's changed now though, I haven't played ow in ages and I hear they've done a bunch of balance changes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just shoot the pyro

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Back when ISP servers used to be a thing, I always played on one titled simply "Bad Maps". At first I thought it was a misnomer, because the map was always fantastic, but then I realised it was just alternating between cp_badlands and pl_badwater.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm not totally sure about that - one big thing is that pushing out of last against a team that's turtled up is often very difficult - to the point where you can't do it unless you have a significant advantage (e.g. you just repelled their attempt to push last and are up two or three players). If you make it so that the team that's holding second just needs to hold it for 10 minutes and then they win, that's going to make things much more of a stalemate than they are now.

Just reducing the "time added" seems like a fine idea though, but just leave it at being called a draw when the timer runs out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You mean like pl_waste?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

quote:

Scream Fortress X has arrived!
Featuring 5 new community maps: Cauldron, Gravestone, Monster Bash, Slasher, and Cursed Cove
Added the Violet Vermin Case
Contains 20 new community-created cosmetic items that make-up the Violet Vermin Collection
Has a chance to give one of 4 community-created Halloween-restricted items as a bonus item
Has a chance to give a taunt Unusualifier as a bonus item
Added the Scream Fortress X War Paint Case
Contains 10 new community-created War Paints that make-up the Scream Fortress X War Paint Collection
Has a chance to give a taunt Unusualifier as a bonus item
Added two new official taunts to the Mann Co. Store
Taunt: Panzer Pants
Taunt: The Scooty Scoot
Added 17 new community-created Unusual effects
11 new effects for Unusual hats
6 new effects for Unusual taunts
Added 5 new Contracts for the featured maps
Completing a Halloween Contract will give players a classic Halloween item and the chance for a Violet Vermin Case or a Scream Fortress X War Paint Case
All players who launch the game will receive a Soul Gargoyle if they don't already have one
Grants access to Merasmissions and Halloween item transmutations
Tracks Merasmissions completed and souls collected
All Halloween Contracts have been reset, allowing them to be completed again
Continue last year's event by collecting the souls of dead players for your Soul Gargoyle by killing enemies, doing map objectives, or collecting the Soul Gargoyles that spawn in the maps
All cases will grant Halloween 2018 Unusual effects instead of their normal Unusual effects during the event
Join Halloween matches by using the Special Events category in Casual
Scream Fortress X runs through November 14th, 2018

General
Fixed stickybombs doing damage through walls and doors in some situations
Fixed a problem with client-side prediction on Halloween maps that use the bumper car mini-game
Added Tip of the Hats 2018 community medals
Added ozfortress Season 23 tournament medals
Added TFNew 6v6 Newbie Cup tournament medals
Added RGB 3 LAN tournament medals
Added United Dodgeball League Season 1 tournament medals
Updated the localization files

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
gang garrison 3d coming along nicely

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sniper 100% wants the Bushwhacker if you're taking Jarate, which makes you a serious threat against anything close range. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

Soldier can also get good use from the Escape Plan.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i guess all the artifact devs suddenly had to find another project to look busy on, lol

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That's a lot of Stout Shakos

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's really cool how 90% of the guns in TF2 are big meaty single-shot weapons. Connecting with a shot feels great, dodging a shot feels great. The best overwatch characters were the ones that acted like that (Roadhog).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sanctum posted:

Who are you? I thought he bought his own account and I'm sorry, he wasn't ready =( But his irony is just more internalized and heartfelt than yours.

Do you really think he thought pyro was a viable class in 6's? The entire thing was a joke, but the bigger joke was how well he was able to do against "good" 6's players that didn't like having their rote chess match fudged up with silly gimmicks. I'm also a big fan of thief, and everyone hated him too. I like people that can take "the way real pro's do it" and turn that upside down, even if by being really unpredictable in stupid ways. And I would encourage them to do it, even in an environment where some of us are still struggling to learn the ropes of 6's pushes. The ropes are for suckers.

The most consistently good player I've ever played in MGE is not any of the toppest-top invite level players, it's carpet's BFF. Spello. Wilka. Whatever he's going by. That dude is the anti-carpet, he does nothing but practice and play hard to COUNTER bullshit. He is vanilla tryhard supreme. And of course he's carpet's best bro.

not gonna lie, this might just be the funniest post in this thread

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if valve doesn't touch tf2 they can't gently caress it up any worse

i'm worried that when lootboxes finally get banned, they might feel the urge to Make Changes at the same time as they remove crates

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ditocoaf posted:

I miss sitting on a server for multiple maps and getting to know who the strong players are, seeing them both on the other team and on your own. When matchmaking took that experience away, it kind of sapped my enthusiasm to play, even though I know it's kind of a peripheral thing.

A community server I played on for many years finally shut down a little while back, but they posted an announcement about it beforehand, and the final weekend was a great time fragging and being fragged by lots of people I hadn't played with in ages.

Rip smurfy 2012-2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if it's not bootlegger + sticky jumper + caber then they're wrong, hth

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're really tryharding with the scout you'll run the basher, just in case you need to help a medic build uber. It's not like it's got a downside.

Sniper should always bring the Bushwacka if you're bringing Jarate, being able to go for guaranteed melee crits is a really useful defensive option. The fire downside is meaningless unless you're getting hassled by a flare gun pyro - it's not like having the regular knife will save you if a pyro catches you at close range.

I don't agree with everything else on the list, but honestly for the rest of them they really are sidegrades that are better in some situations but worse in others, and it's your responsibility to identify when you're in a situation where a different choice might be useful. (e.g., if you're a soldier holding Gravel Pit roof, Cow Mangler + Concherer is a legit choice that means you don't need to drop down to replenish health or ammo).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the key to both attacking and defending upward last is taking that upstairs area across the pit from red spawn, but good luck getting anyone (on either team!) to recognize that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
jump maps are where it's at

jump_beef, jump_eons, cp_process...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Thunder Mountain 3 is actually pretty easy to hellcamp if blue is bad, so it's possible that some of the good feeling comes from never actually playing it unless blue is good enough to not let that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Just Chamber posted:

Oh I have a #1 crate. What should i do?

Sell them for like $30 each probably.