Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

My Team Fortress 2 folder doesn't have a cfg file. If I create one and put an autoexec file in it, would that work?

EDIT: Does the new deploy time penalty on the Atomizer mean that in will spin very slowly in the air when the scout pulls it out?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I wonder if this will be the first update where the game doesn't become unplayably laggy when it drops. Also:

Ariong posted:

My Team Fortress 2 folder doesn't have a cfg file. If I create one and put an autoexec file in it, would that work?

Anyone?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Zero! posted:

There definitely should be a cfg folder, it keeps a bunch of other configuration files for the game too. What folders can you see in your Steam/steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/tf folder?

Well, that's odd. Yesterday when I used Properties > Local Files > Browse Local FIles, it took me to a completely different folder. The problem seems to be solved now though.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I was flying around Mercenary Park with noclip and I found this strange little room. What is this? Do you go here when you win in competitive mode?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Is the fall damage sound effect new? It's a lot more crunchy than a remember, and also weirdly long.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It would be crazy if they set up every weapon for war paint, there’s like a jillion of them.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jinh posted:

Reddit says that if you spend enough time doing it you can make yourself unstabbable.

In either case you're right, best move is to incite them into a frothing rage by letting everyone know that he's doing it and to bring spies, and then start a votekick the instant he leaves spawn and schadenfreude taunt

How can that be? iirc a backstab’s base damage is the stabee’s current health, plus it’s always a crit so multiply that by 3. How can you outhealth that?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

QwertySanchez posted:

In theory that just means a spy could backstab him enough to overflow again back into positives and then boom. Valve explodes.

I doubt that overflow would cause the spy's stabs to increase the Heavy's health, I think it would probably get rounded up to 0 or 1. Hope someone does some testing on this.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ArfJason posted:

gently caress the braindead monumentally retarded morons that play this game

My dude you have had nine literal years to get used to this phenomenon, I don’t know what to tell you.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Xander77 posted:

Every time a match starts and everyone spends a few seconds held in place, unable to move, there are 1-2 people who are free to move around and leave the spawn. Random chance, or a glitch I could exploit?

You can blast forward with the jetpack.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Butt Detective posted:

I knew that if I sold the unusual war paint I unboxed, I'd just end up using the funds to unbox more and end up getting jack poo poo.

So I put it on a whip instead

Uncool Whip

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

“Well, Scout, I made it. Despite your directions.”
“Ay, Miss Pauling, hey! I hope you’re ready for a freakin’ incredible dat- eh, dinner!”
“Yeah...”

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Is this the thread for discussing the Saxxies? This is a really good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EcNp7Mpdo0

When the rewind/fast forward device fell and shot toward the camera, I thought it had become a Garry's Mod video. I was so happy. What actually happened was still great though.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

King Lazer posted:

TF2 is back baby everybody jump on engineer and start blasting hadokens

Yeehaw-doken

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

cock hero flux posted:

yes, when you're dead, you will stop playing

unless hell is real, in which case no

Hell is real, and it is full of bumper cars.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Didn’t someone buy Cone Bone an account here, and he posted a few times before getting banned?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ChickenHeart posted:

Oof. I take it that there's not a lot of hope for the comics, either.

It’s been 629 days since the last bimonthly installment.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ArfJason posted:

They cared for this game for nearly a decade. Isnt that enough?

I mean, as long as they’re still charging money for the stuff in it, not really. It would be one thing if they “finished” the game, by wrapping up all the loose ends and declaring it to be a finished product. However, what’s happening right now is that the game is becoming less playable. It’s becoming harder and harder for people to get into a game, and it is clearly because of some technical issue on Valve’s end, but there has been little indication that they’re even looking into it. That’s not enough.

And if they have given up on this game, they at least owe it to the people playing it to officially announce that so they can make an informed decision about whether to keep playing it or spending money on it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ArfJason posted:

You can still pay for unreal tournament 98 or whatever and thats not getting any support + this game even went f2p. Valve has become one of the worst game companies in the past 6 or so years but the complaint about not getting more tf2 attention to me seems insane when 99% of games get dropped by devs not even 2 years into their lifecycle and this one has been getting content for a very long time (workshop hats notwithstanding). This isnt to say its a good idea to murder their own playerbase with the horseshit that is the matchmaker.

I guess I’m a little confused about what you mean by support. Are you talking about new hats and guns and stuff, or are you talking about maintaining the game’s infrastructure and fixing bugs that prevent people from connecting to servers that are within a reasonable distance?

If it’s the former, then they don’t have to keep doing that. They’ve more or less stopped already. However, I still think they ought to make a press release or announcement or something saying that they’re done adding content so nobody buys the (premium version of the) game on the false pretense that it will continue to see new stuff added.

If it’s the latter, yes, they absolutely have to keep doing that. As long as the game is still availibke for download, it needs to be playable. Otherwise they’re scamming folks.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jippa posted:

I think they are just under staffed not that they "don't care". At the same time if an entire country is blocked from their servers that should be some thing that gets bumped up the list of priorities. I dunno.

Who? Valve? No way, they're making money hand over fist, I'm sure they have as much staff as they feel like they need. If you mean the TF2 team specifically then yeah, but that's not some unavoidable bit of bad luck, its a result of people funneling away from it as it becomes less popular and they become less passionate about it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I wanted to turn my mouse sensitivity up, but for some reason the slider goes up to ten million. Literally, that's the maximum value on my mouse sensitivity slider. This means that manipualting the slider in any way other than dragging it allll the way down to zero results in unplayably high sensitivity. So, I'll have to set it manually. What sensitivity is recommended?

Also, are there any good video series or something for getting decent at sniper? I don't wanna be a pro headshot master or anything, but I would like to be able to headshot a spun up heavy who is walking at a snail's pace. As it is I can barely get a bodyshot on a moving target, even when I'm aiming for the middle of their torso.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Also, do not use the pan

drrockso20 posted:

One good trick is that once you've figured out what head height is for where you're shooting, is to keep the mouse lined up at that height, and adjust to left or right as needed by strafing rather than moving the mouse

Okay I'll try that. Thanks.

Jippa posted:

Unless you have god like aim I would turn your sensitivity down for playing sniper. Just equip the darwins danger shield and forget about quickly spinning around for spies. Just practice for ages with your new sense it takes time to build up muscle memory. Don't change your sens or give up just because you are bad to start with.

You could even begin with a training map like https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=606778917 just to get your eye in.

Why Darwin's Danger Shield? I haven't had much trouble with Pyros as a sniper.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

King Lazer posted:

I would like to see a payload loop where instead of having a finish, the attacking team gets points for each time the cart goes past a checkpoint. The payload would never stop, continuing to move at a minimal speed even with no one pushing (and of course going faster when pushed). You could always go around to attack the other team from behind.

Payload is reasonably fun to me except when defense is winning. The last point almost always ends up being pure misery, so this is my dimly imagined idea of a fun payload.

That’s a novel idea, but you can’t really have a TF2 map without a clearly defined victory state. Maybe one where you have to push it around the circular track three times to win?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

King Lazer posted:

I should have said there would be a time limit. Whichever team pushes past the most checkpoints, wins.

Oh, so it�s a Payload Race map? Are the two tracks directly adjacent to one another? Do the carts move in the same direction, or does one move clockwise and the other counterclockwise?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That is an absolutely spot-on Miss Pauling impression. I thought for sure they must have taken lines from another character Ashley Burch played, but no it’s just that good.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

RareAcumen posted:

Guy came asking to trade, brought on someone else pretending to be a valve employee to moderate the trade to make sure things were legit. Told me to put trade items to a database account to make sure if they were duped or not.

I’m sorry that happened to you. If you’re looking to replenish your stock of nice things, I do have a wonderful bridge I’m looking to unload for cheap.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

In all seriousness, I really am sorry that happened to you RareAcumen. I’d offer to give you something nice, if I had it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sanctum posted:

Who are you? I thought he bought his own account and I'm sorry, he wasn't ready =( But his irony is just more internalized and heartfelt than yours.

Do you really think he thought pyro was a viable class in 6's? The entire thing was a joke, but the bigger joke was how well he was able to do against "good" 6's players that didn't like having their rote chess match fudged up with silly gimmicks. I'm also a big fan of thief, and everyone hated him too. I like people that can take "the way real pro's do it" and turn that upside down, even if by being really unpredictable in stupid ways. And I would encourage them to do it, even in an environment where some of us are still struggling to learn the ropes of 6's pushes. The ropes are for suckers.

The most consistently good player I've ever played in MGE is not any of the toppest-top invite level players, it's carpet's BFF. Spello. Wilka. Whatever he's going by. That dude is the anti-carpet, he does nothing but practice and play hard to COUNTER bullshit. He is vanilla tryhard supreme. And of course he's carpet's best bro.

There are babies alive right now who weren’t yet conceived when the post you’re responding to was made.

But anyway yeah, sucks when people miss the deep hilarity of your slurs because they aren’t ironic of heart like you are.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Until proven otherwise, I’m assuming that they aren’t planning on doing anything else for the game but are worried that actually admitting that would affect key sales.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just joined a server, someone called a votekick against me for cheating, and I got booted. I was on there for about 45 seconds and didn't get a single kill. Weird.

EDIT: wasn't there a site where bots would auto-trade you weapons for scrap?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 12, 2019

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

nielsm posted:

drat.
I only have #92 and #103 crates around.

And for some reason searching my TF2 inventory for "crate" finds The Solemn Vow?

THE SOLEMN VOW
Level 10 Bust of Hippocrates

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Otacon posted:

if you ever wanted to buy a burning flames unusual, nows the time lol

Honestly, I’m still not willing to spend that much.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oxyclean posted:

The tf2 subreddit is similar:

e: Sure wish I had some low # crates. Think I traded/sold/gave them away long ago, and I only have some in the 30s-40s? Think I checked all of them and none where going for more then a few cents.

:lol: I came here to post this. Don’t you DARE explain how to perform this GAME-BREAKING exploit that is RUINING Team Fortress 2 for some people!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I just had a thought. How little attention was paid in the making of this tiny nothingburger update to have screwed it up this badly?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Team Fortress 2: Halogen - U Got Hat

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Seems like a good solution to me. People who bought/unboxed a cool hat for themselves can keep it, and people who like doing the trade economy thing don’t have to worry about the market being flooded.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I have zero sympathy for people who spent money on glitch unusuals to flip them and are now unable to. Anyone could have seen this coming. Sorry you lost out on your terrible investment.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

lovely Wizard posted:

Valve is damned if they do and damned if they don't. There's a lot of people that may or may not have known what they were getting into, thousands of glitched hats (minimum, could be tens of thousands) already changed hands on the marketplace by people with varying levels of knowledge on it.

That and there's nearly 200 countries in this world and they're going to have to resolve it in a way that is satisfactory for most of them, and I imagine just going "sorry you won at lootbox gambling too much because of glitch, so we're making your normally transferrable prize/shiny locked to you forever and worth nothing compared to the prize people exchange for other games/prizes" and throwing their money back isn't going to fly even if their ToS claims they can do that.

Somehow I doubt Valve is too concerned about being damned by people who thought it was a good idea to invest in glitched video game hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Grapplejack posted:

A price crash is actually better for valve anyway; most people do unusual trading in grey markets for cash. No one is going to try to find a middleman if their hat is only worth like $15-20, they'll just use the market, and valve gets a cut there.

This is good for hatcoin.