Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that video in the last thread of the pyro's (old)projectile airblast hitbox was really funny, not so much because it's an enormous cube(although that is funny) but because it's aligned to the map grid and doesn't turn with the pyro in question so if you're at a 45 degree angle to the map grid you get bonus range on your airblast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

treat posted:

The new pyro cannon is just retarded. It'll 2 shot any class under 175hp, including other pyros. Anything above that is just an extra shot in the general direction of the enemy since the thing seems to have hit detection on par with the airblast.
so, it's weaker than a rocket launcher and doesn't give you quite as good mobility?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

treat posted:

Oh drat, you got me. Yup, it's a rocket launcher for the pyro. Man, you really catch the bullshit, don't you?
so you agree that it's not overpowered, then

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also soldier is not the best class in the game, and certainly not the best in every situation

in terms of who is the most powerful, who has the most impact to swing a game(normal or comp or whatever), it's medic.
scout is the best 1v1 duelist, demo is best at area control/defensive play/damage dealing(but not finishing people off due to lack of a hitscan weapon), and soldier is a very good all-rounder

instead of complaining about how soldier should be nerfed it would make more sense to ask for buffs to certain other underpowered classes. like pyro! 🤔

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 21, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Broken Cog posted:

Or Spy perhaps? Who got mostly nerfs this patch for some reason.
yeah spy's still in a weird spot

I'll take what I can get in tyool 2017 though

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
they suck and are bad

it's not good that random crits are given more often to players who are doing better because that just leads to people steamrolling worse players harder. but it's a moot point because every aspect of random crits is awful

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Xander77 posted:

A pyro is meant to be a close-range class. Half a dozen of them charging at a level three or trying to shotgun / flare it to death wouldn't necessarily work - and that's ok, because the sentry is meant to be a bit of a hard counter against a close-range ambush class. Fighting against pyros right now is basically containing with waves of rocket spam - except the hitbox is larger, and if one rocket clips you, another one will just wipe you out.
pyro's new weapon barely has any more range than the flamethrower, if you're in a situation where you can corner peek a level 3 to death you could already do it without the new weapon

nielsm posted:

Okay after seeing this I'll agree that the new Pyro weapons are probably OP. (Skip to around 19 minutes.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJeY5UGIgmQ&t=1157s
Absolutely tearing through MvM with it.

The only counter against a posse of pyros is to catch them at range before it's too late?
That's always been how pyro works. You murder them before they get too close or they do a lot of damage and kill you.

MvM is a horrible context to look at this weapon wrt balance, you don't normally get to constantly hit targets and boost up your damage and firing speed ad infinitum.
It's basically a flamethrower with slightly more range that takes a bit of time to ramp up into doing real damage and that can't hit multiple people at once. Personally, I'm gonna stick with the backburner and try and find sneaky spots to jetpack behind people.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jinh posted:

Yeah I had one, 3 kills with a single sentry, that wouldn't track.
iirc it only works with level 1 sentries

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm fine with DR nerfs, amby changes were definitely too far though

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
backstab detection vs normal stab is bad enough already, I don't want to get sidestabbed at range

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ninjewtsu posted:

Did they rebuild it entirely or did they just make it so that projectiles now use the same airblast cone hit box that players use, instead of the massive loving box it used to be

basically they did that but idk if it's actually the exact same size as the one players use

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the old version was such absolute garbage though

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
pyro is still worse than soldier/demo/scout

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlNeIoRNO0E
lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
he's goddamn right

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yes

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
pyro still isn't very strong imho, and the update fixed a number of busted things wrt pyro hitboxes(in particular airblast hitboxes are so much more consistent now bc it doesn't depend on direction pyro is facing relative to map and you don't just get jerked upwards at the exact same angle regardless of what you were doing). also the jetpack is fun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

FalloutGod posted:

You can try bouncing them with explosives but that only works so well
you can also use your explosives to jump away and he will have no way to deal with it unless you already let him corner you in an enclosed space

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
we don't deserve modern lazypurple videos

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just realized that noclipping soldier is a_seagull. incredible

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Countblanc posted:

pretty sure those are just people who changed their names, like when daniel and friends make that fake vid about the old hacking guy where they all changed their names to big time pros and turned the server speed down to 25%
I believe, deep in my heart

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I saw tagg's post on twitter a bit ago. It's depressing how much racist poo poo he's had to deal with(irl at tournies/meetups as well as online), but I would be lying if I said it surprised me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
this is what ingame voip was made for

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
golden pan does direct psyche damage

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
this is extremely funny

“I really don’t have an excuse. I mean, what can I say, I just really love the feeling of taking someone for a ride.”

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jippa posted:

No it got backed by blizzard and has a healthy competitive scene.
it's only "healthy" because blizz keeps injecting money into it to keep it alive

it could not stand on its own two legs as a grassroots scene, because the game is just not made for competitive play

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

All this talk as if there isn't only 4 actual good classes in TF2
at least playing those classes doesn't make you want to die because they don't have massive damage mitigation/healing and health pools and your screen isn't cluttered with tons of overdone visual effects

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
soldier 76 is really bad right now because he sucks rear end against the current meta comps(stacked tanks and healing)

unless they change things really drastically damage heros will never be in a healthy place. one of the other longest lasting meta comps was dive, which was damage based but it too was basically just a reaction to how difficult it is to individually kill someone in OW(and so dive is all about taking multiple heros with strong mobility and jumping on a single enemy to split them from their team and focus them down quickly, usually a support to cut their healing(and then they introduced a braindead support hero that specifically counters that and now playing damage heros just sucks compared to tanks and supports no matter what))

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it wasn't majority damage heros but at least they were equally represented and damage was actually done fast enough for people to die in a fairly timely fashion.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
vac can be fun to use, but is always really really annoying for everyone on the other team

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

drrockso20 posted:

The thing that makes Turbine worse is that it's harder to defend your Intel, thus much harder to keep up the TDM aspects going properly, while with 2Fort it's pretty simple to keep your Intel safe
that's why 2fort is worse than turbine.

it should be at least kind of difficult to defend your intel, otherwise the game never loving ends and you're stuck deathmatching on one of the worst maps to deathmatch on because so much of it is awful cramped corridors and there's basically no healthpacks

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zoolooman posted:

Giving every player an ultimate was a mistake that just sapped the natural ebb and flow of combat in many cases.
also medic loses uber when he dies, tf2 characters keep their ult on death which creates all sorts of weird knockon effects

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my overwatch opinion is that paladins is sincerely a better game(and also f2p), because damage mitigation and healing are way weaker, it has much better game design and better pace and expression of player skill in general

but it doesn't look as good, which is enough reason for not nearly as many people to play it. good sign of what's wrong with the audience for those games imo

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

The Bee posted:

On the other hand, you take away people's hats and they'll riot. Good riddance IMO, but still a concern.
let em imo

I had fun with my skull-themed pyro getup and my beardy soldier but people gotta learn to let go sometimes. especially the crazier parts of the tf2 hat community

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
his bio does say "Raised in Stuttgart, Germany during an era when the Hippocratic oath had been downgraded to an optional Hippocratic suggestion" and that he does not have compassion for the sick or respect for human dignity so I can see how people would get that impression

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

verbal enema posted:

I miss all my stuff i liquidated :negative:
same. I'm pretty close to buying back a strange killstreak original again tbh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
"he's not hacking he's just a good sniper"

ignore how he airshot me while I was airstrafing in after a rocket jump as soldier and also he had a game ban on steam within the last 2 months already

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

drrockso20 posted:

*though if you could equip Shotguns in the main weapon slot instead of a Mini-Gun than it could actually be somewhat viable
what you mean: shotgun and then food in secondary slot
my eternal dream: shotguns in both primary and secondary slots on heavy letting you dual wield shotguns

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's much more surprising to me that there's anyone who actually has voice enabled

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1246665469744099329

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
helpful defense pyro spending a lot of time spychecking and babysitting nests is more boring than non-combat engie. there's no reason for engie to ever be 100% non-combat turtle though even if you're playing passively so it's kind of a false dichotomy