Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Just reinstalled the game and tried to play it and no communication allowed? Apparently this was something to counter bots? Anyway they said to buy something in game or on steam and I bought the Age2DE expansion and still nothing. Kind of frustrating. I'm as casual as it comes and I don't mess around with any of the purchasable or cosmetic stuff. My inventory seems jam packed though and I don't remember that being the case. Do you get stuff even when you're not playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This game owns and I wish I got more into it when it was huge. If you can get a good game going without hilarious skill differentials I'm not sure I've had as much fun in a FPS. Feels like the missing link between arena shooters and the team based stuff people gravitate towards nowadays*

*last decade or so

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Jewel posted:

Absolutely agree. The entire 5v5/6v6 format means that you also feel worse when you play bad And likely to get singled out which breeds toxicity.

Oh man this might be why I hate mobas

e: or at least their communities

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You can find plenty of games without bots during normal hours. But early hours (3-6am) of the morning? Forget it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

How am I so good decent okay with the shotgun but so bad with the scattergun. Is it just that I'm getting pick offs with the shotgun after damaging them with my main and that biases me or what. I want to be good with scout so bad and I've got good awareness and timings for setting up flanks but I just cannot pour enough damage into them to make it stick even in the instances I catch them totally by surprise. Also I may as well quit using the soda popper since that hype meter is pretty much impossible for a lovely player to fill but I do like the quick reload.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Since I've seen more than different people complain about it in matches, are sentries on koth maps really considered bad manner or is it just typical pubbie complaining. What the hell are engineers supposed to do on those maps differently

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

CoolCab posted:

it always kind of bugged me how many times they felt the need to adjust the loch and load while they never looked at the direct hit. i did not think it was broken with 2 shots if i'm honest? like, i feel like the balance changes started being straight downgrades and things i disagreed with and thought were dumb after a while - they ruined the cow mangler for no reason. they fuckin ruined the babyface blaster and i loved that gun. i guess there's no point still being salty about it but i honestly wish there was a much, much more active look at balancing, like i wish anything was more actively worked on :sigh:

What was the mangler like before? It's my current favorite soldier weapon because I don't have to worry about ammo

drrockso20 posted:

See that's why the Beggar's Bazooka is the best Rocket Launcher

I like this one a lot too against clumps :)

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 3, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

just played a game of upward defense where I dominated a heavy solely from airblasting him off the cliff

It's a ton of fun. Sometimes you''ll get the medic too by sheer luck. And a few really lucky times you'll get half the team or more and people will hate you and tell you what a noob you are. It owns, pyro owns

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Xander77 posted:

Back before the airblast change, I'd spend days just running around on hightower, feeding people to the pit.

The only time when I sympathized with the "don't cap on hightower" people.

I don't think I've played a single hightower round, what gives? The wiki says it's a payload race, whatever that is.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

That would require the Gas Passer to not be an incredibly terrible gimmick weapon

I use it a lot though rarely get the chance to capitalize on it but I have most luck with it defending on payloads. But shotgun is so much more useful and I think even the jetpack is better if you're going the aggressive flanking route

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Is the post game rating for MM or the actual maps? I'd hate to vote down a good map because the teams were too lopsided and we get obliterated

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I was jokingly going to say depends on if you like their music or not but you really run into the aforementioned problem of what if everyone else likes their music. In my experience they're voted out pretty quickly and decisively but man I hate to kick real people in this game all the same. All it takes is a crack and boom you're either full of bots or spending the rest of the the map queuing up kicks for them

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

People have gotten pretty good about kicking them quickly if you've got a enough real human beings but if they get a critical mass it's pretty much impossible to boot them all. It's a crying shame. At least the bots in Diablo 2 are benign at worst and immensely helpful at best.

Is there any real technical reason valve can't just perma all these or is it just disinterest/laziness? VPNs, something? I don't know poo poo about IT stuff

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I hate when people absolutely fixate on one particular map in pretty much anything I've ever played and that includes pretty much all good games lol. I never really understood it but I might just be in the minority

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Baron von Eevl posted:

Badwater might be the best map in the game, but you gotta mix in some of the okay maps too. Upward, sure. Barnblitz is a nice change of pace. I like Brazil and Swiftwater enough too. Goldrush and Thunder Mountain take far too long but can be really fun.

I think the final part of thunder mountain might be one of my favorite maps in anything ever. The rest is decent but the third part (fourth?) is a triumph of 3 dimensional map design

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Entered about 10 games in a row with >70% bot occupancy. I think I'm just gonna have to migrate to that off-steam platform. Why exactly do they gravitate towards this game anyway? Free being obvious but is it just popular enough to be worth the effort and just under the radar to avoid vac bans and so on? What's their goal, are they making money somehow or are they just the lowest effort griefers of all time

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I just reinstalled this after a good year or so and the casual experience is very much improved regarding bots and stuff. You can actually play at like 4 in the morning now in pubs! When did this happen? I had kinda forgotten how good it was and how much I suck too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The map is fun to play until you get to the elevators but the endgame is tedious. I bet it'd be amazing without carts

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Pretty sure you can keep halloween items all year long but can you wear them? I've been playing enough at this point I kinda would like some cosmetics. I was going to buy the kittens but good lord not at the asking price

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Also Helltrain is a strong contender for most visually impressive map in the game's history, it even changes up the rules for CTF to make more sense than the baseline ones

I was running with the intel and saw some sniper just staring out at the environment. I didn't bother him because I could relate and I kill snipers every chance I get

e: for my good deed I even got a pretty uncommon achievement too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Just the coolest poo poo. It's nice seeing old people out and about having fun

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It did get worse again once halloween started up it feels.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Someone said that TF2 still makes a killing for steam selling cosmetics despite its age, how did they find these numbers? I tried googling it but all I'm getting is how much the people who make the items have earned collectively or stuff along those lines.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I just started playing this again for the first time in a while and I for some reason am having huge problems with my mouse leaving the screen? I play in windowed mode because my monitor is too big and it doesn't seem to be an issue in other games yet during heated playing, I'm constantly flicking off to one side and pulling up whatever is behind the tf2 screen. Usually to the left, but I moved the screen to the bottom left to fix it and... it flies off the right. I play every other FPS like this and I have no problem. I have tried looking it up but everything I'm getting is just about multi monitor setups.

ChaseSP posted:

The fact that all matchmaking servers end up with half or more of the people leaving makes me really sad, because my favorite aspect of older tf2 was playing with a bunch of people over a bunch of match rounds and learning how to avoid or to target. Also casual chat making more sense if you aren't just going to ditch after the first 2-3 rounds.

It's doubly frustrating because it can take a while to find games at certain hours and you'd think people would want to stay in a reliable room wouldn't you? You've got a full house without one side getting steam rolled, keep playing damnit. I can understand a few people but the entire room drops more often than not.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Roth posted:

I figure it's people mad that the map they wanted didn't win.

drat, now I'm on their side

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They're lo-fat, like the scout

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I was watching a fishstickonastick video about the direct hit and he's talking about scouts. He fades something in on the screen and I don't know what he's referencing, I thought it was a kill icon but it's nothing I recognize? 14:28 timestamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP93_x2lR2w&t=867s

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

TF2's most revolutionary feature was making the healing class (kinda) fun to play

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

cock hero flux posted:

hard disagree, in fact it did basically the opposite and removed everything interesting or enjoyable and reduced it to a pure heal hose as opposed to most other shooters where the healing class was "the guy who shoots thing(and can heal, also)". the end result being that medic's primary purpose is to bumble around behind their teammates holding M1 at them so that they can go play the game while the medic himself cannot. people who "like" medic actually like winning and have associated playing medic with winning and not playing medic with losing, because medic is very powerful and teams without medics tend to lose. medic itself is not likeable because you are literally a dispenser with legs and the only people who would find it fun are the sort of people who would find it even more fun to watch paint dry

I did say kinda

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Endorph posted:

i saw a red tape recorder named 'valve time inducer' which made me lol

What's the joke? (I don't play spy lol)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh so it's a Valve™ joke?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Endorph posted:

TF2 runs on a literal potato so its much easier to have multiple instances of it running or run it in a virtual machine or whatever, or set up bot farms for it.

like even when it was new it was notable for how old a machine you could run it on.

It wouldn't run on mine lmao. Man I wish I got in on the ground floor.

Oxyclean posted:

Are the botters just not trying as hard to sink those games?

Is that what they're trying to do for real?

... Why?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh god if you think people hate sentrys they're really gonna love mines.

Dongicus posted:

Love tf2. Hate valve.

No argument there

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I've definitely had real people kick me even though I protested. It's not like I'm good either. I might top the scoreboard in pub casual once every 200 matches. What's really weird is I've initiated kickvotes for a platypus: sniper and spinning nonstop and again the same name as so many other bots out there and people started saying he was real and getting real lovely about it. Game's an absolute mess.

Why do snipers look up when they're botting anyway, seems like they wouldn't see anything below a certain threshold.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Can't believe i'm gonna say this but... I kinda love the shortstop. I know it's weird, but I can't help it. Like I know it's not the "meta" but I'm so far behind that curve that it's kinda pointless for me to even concern myself with it and due to my mouse issues, playing up close with the scattergun and having to deal with the occasional flick shot is pretty much impossible and I just kinda love mid range scout and being impossibly annoying. I go pure bleeder as the theme so I get to actually use all my weapons and I'm pretty sure (or maybe it just feels that way since you're moving) that the cleaver and ornament have different ballistics and while that's annoying sometimes, at least it keeps me engaged. I am tempted very often to switch to the healing pistol because you live forever hanging back with the cool kids as is and would doubtless live longer if I plink away at buildings with the pretty boy after mag dumping them with the peppergun but god I love bleed so much. It's like afterburn but much less bullshit. Boy do I suck at landing hits with it though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Evil Kit posted:

isn't bleed more bullshit since you can only heal it via medic or medkit (counting heavy food items here)? Afterburn you can jump in water or a sniper, scout, pyro can put you out in addition to the original two classes mentioned.

You got to jump into sufficiently deep water I think and that's rarer than it seems like it should be. Also I really hate most games "getting out of water" rigmarole and tf2 is no exception. So many deaths struggling to exit the water, usually after I've been set on fire. As for the pyros, I play casual and lol nobody extinguishes you in casual it seems because they're insane, new or phlog users. Plus it feels like it lasts forever though it might just seem like that because I'm on fire.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I like that engi weapon where it bleeds for anti spy work it's hilarious to me and it's awesome when it works.

Usually they just shoot them

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Engi is such a cool class and one of these days I'm going to play as him

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Played a match on lakeside last night and the other team went 8 spys. It was hilarious, guy's on comms being like "do NOT melee them" which obviously everybody wants to beat a spy in a melee fight. One of the funniest matches I've ever played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Please tell me someone else got fleeced by the crafting poo poo initially right? So when I realized that all the cosmetic items I had on my characters to this point were halloween only, I kinda got bummed and decided I wanted something to wear. I don't want to spend money if at all possible, so when I saw the "craft class headgear" I got kinda excited and said oh well I'll at least settle for a hat. Maybe I'll get lucky and get the hot dog one because it's cute and funny (truthfully, I want the cool cats cardigan, but beggars can't be choosers). So I went through and pruned my inventory, using up several pages of items. I didn't have any metal at all because I play pretty off and on and usually I'll just craft a weapon if I want to try it which doesn't take that much. I used a shocking amount of my items and it was pretty difficult since so many of them had the not tradeable quality so I didn't want to use them. Anyway, I go through all that poo poo, click craft and eagerly await at least something to wear on my head since, yknow "headgear" and... I got the ugliest loving pair of shoes I've ever seen in my life. I think we can all agree, shoes are pretty much the polar opposite of a hat.

I have absolutely no idea how cometics and poo poo work in this game because I've never hitherto used it. I did watch this pretty decent little vid on strange and and unusual poo poo but I have no idea how any of the stuff with warpaints and keys works. I assume I buy keys and use them on my cosmetic cases and hope I get something useful? Like you get a paint and apply it to a weapon you get randomly or craft? Other than a couple cosmetics for the scout I'm looking to do something with my current loadout (shortstop, flying guillotine, wrap assassin) which should simplify things. I'm watching a video now on the economy poo poo and I think I would have gotten more value just holding onto the refined metal? As for the shoes, at least I can sell them I assume. Probably for not much from the looks of things though

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I also spent one round of Thundermountain, on defense at the last point, doing literally nothing but airblasting a Kunai spy off the top. I didn't even chase him to kill him, just knocked him off the tower. We won and he ragequit as the game reset back to the first point. Felt good.

Airblasting idiots is the most fun you have as pyro and that includes landing crits with the flare guns and ambushing the entire enemy team with the backburner