Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Pretty much that. lovely servers didn't kill TF2 and all accounts point to the decline of community servers starting when Valve first introduced quickplay meaning people were directed to official valve servers since getting on quick play required you to be approved by Valve directly and required the same settings pretty much which a bunch of servers didn't in the first place. The only community servers that have managed to survive is Skial which lives on purely from everyone knowing about Skial among fps that still have proper server browsers, and youtube personality ran servers which can keep a couple servers full each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I don't want to queue up for matchmaking. I want to play on a server where one round rolls into the next, people can come and go over time, and "who's on which team" is permeable. When I want to play more competitively, that can be arranged, but "casual matchmaking" muscling the idea of servers to the sidelines was a huge misstep. Quickplay was the first step down that road, but at least you could still manually join.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The fact that all matchmaking servers end up with half or more of the people leaving makes me really sad, because my favorite aspect of older tf2 was playing with a bunch of people over a bunch of match rounds and learning how to avoid or to target. Also casual chat making more sense if you aren't just going to ditch after the first 2-3 rounds.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The stakes feel lower but also more rewarding when you might be either teamed or against any given player from game to game. You learn who's good, they might be your nemesis one round amd the teammate you rely on the next.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
It's a great feeling when That One Spy, That loving Goddamn Spy finally lands on your team and now you can have the terror unleashed on the other team.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

You need Ron Jeremy to program a system that kicks random strangers whenever you feel like playing, making an entrance doesn't feel the same if it's not at someone else's expense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yup, Matchmaking made this game immediately harder to play. It did not need to be added and Valve knew they were fad chasing. It makes me real sad to open the server browser and see that even legacy barrel-bottomers like Skial are getting low playercounts because there's no visibility anymore.

edit: just checked and my first post itt 6 years ago was complaining about matchmaking, and calling the new flamethrower cool

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The new flamethrower IS cool

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's very good at murdering directly and rewards aiming much more than all the others along as being good against buildings. Just wish the air blast wasn't so massively nerfed on it but there's always shotguns for compensating I suppose.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I just started playing this again for the first time in a while and I for some reason am having huge problems with my mouse leaving the screen? I play in windowed mode because my monitor is too big and it doesn't seem to be an issue in other games yet during heated playing, I'm constantly flicking off to one side and pulling up whatever is behind the tf2 screen. Usually to the left, but I moved the screen to the bottom left to fix it and... it flies off the right. I play every other FPS like this and I have no problem. I have tried looking it up but everything I'm getting is just about multi monitor setups.

ChaseSP posted:

The fact that all matchmaking servers end up with half or more of the people leaving makes me really sad, because my favorite aspect of older tf2 was playing with a bunch of people over a bunch of match rounds and learning how to avoid or to target. Also casual chat making more sense if you aren't just going to ditch after the first 2-3 rounds.

It's doubly frustrating because it can take a while to find games at certain hours and you'd think people would want to stay in a reliable room wouldn't you? You've got a full house without one side getting steam rolled, keep playing damnit. I can understand a few people but the entire room drops more often than not.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Especially during a bot crisis when you think people would want to stick around in rounds that can keep bots out mostly instead of playing roulette to find another round with people capable of doing this!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I figure it's people mad that the map they wanted didn't win.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Roth posted:

I figure it's people mad that the map they wanted didn't win.

drat, now I'm on their side

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

why in the good god drat is HAARP a holiday-restricted map??? :mad:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

JAnon posted:

why in the good god drat is HAARP a holiday-restricted map??? :mad:

My guess is because it's a really weird map mechanically due to how it uses TFC's mechanics for CP, so it doesn't really fit with regular CP maps and it doesn't really fit as a CTF map either

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
why do people call heavy fat when he's not even fat? did people forget he carries a heavy weapon?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"fat scout" is a funnier way to describe a Heavy playing with just a shotgun.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Heavy is Strongman fat.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ChaseSP posted:

Heavy is Strongman fat.

strongman who's let himself go a little, even. he's more muscle than fat but he's got real belly flab.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are a couple cosmetics that show his actual physique and yeah he's pretty ripped, his arm muscles are bigger than his head.

But you'd have to have biceps like that to handle a lady like Sasha

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hunger Force is....... less flattering to the man

edit: mobile posting

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Meet the scout was the first tf2 video out and the heavy is eating on the job. Ignoring the ham that everyone can use, he's the only class with food items.

Hell just check the domination lines; every single class with class specific domination lines calls him fat in one way or another, well, except soldier but he just plays the commie angle..

so that's probably why people think heavy is fat, because apparently everyone he works with does.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Scout has consumable drinks

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Scout has consumable drinks

Well, he runs it off.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They're lo-fat, like the scout

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What year was quickplay introduced? I mostly stopped playing by whenever that was. The wiki doesn't say, only when the post-quickplay casual mode was introduced

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 25, 2024

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

CJacobs posted:

There are a couple cosmetics that show his actual physique and yeah he's pretty ripped, his arm muscles are bigger than his head.

But you'd have to have biceps like that to handle a lady like Sasha

He only looks bigger in these because they have to mould the cosmetics overtop of his t-shirt.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Ditocoaf posted:

The stakes feel lower but also more rewarding when you might be either teamed or against any given player from game to game. You learn who's good, they might be your nemesis one round amd the teammate you rely on the next.

as someone who mained spy i basically had a mental list of who would actually play pyro on the Lost Continents so i knew when they joined the other team what to expect

ChaseSP posted:

Pretty much that. lovely servers didn't kill TF2 and all accounts point to the decline of community servers starting when Valve first introduced quickplay meaning people were directed to official valve servers since getting on quick play required you to be approved by Valve directly and required the same settings pretty much which a bunch of servers didn't in the first place. The only community servers that have managed to survive is Skial which lives on purely from everyone knowing about Skial among fps that still have proper server browsers, and youtube personality ran servers which can keep a couple servers full each.

has the furry pound #4 finally fallen?? they were one of the last servers running vanilla-ish tf2 last time i played lol

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

While we don't have quite as many community servers as back in those golden years there's definitely still quite a few so plenty of places to play on, just requires a little digging around

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"

abraham linksys posted:

as someone who mained spy i basically had a mental list of who would actually play pyro on the Lost Continents so i knew when they joined the other team what to expect

has the furry pound #4 finally fallen?? they were one of the last servers running vanilla-ish tf2 last time i played lol

The Furry Pound will never die https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/192.99.19.228:27015/ & https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/192.99.19.228:27016/ --I'd just recommend disabling sprays and concious objector decals https://gamebanana.com/mods/440269 before you join

drrockso20 posted:

While we don't have quite as many community servers as back in those golden years there's definitely still quite a few so plenty of places to play on, just requires a little digging around

Skial / Uncletopia / Furry Pound are the best community servers for NA although personally I still enjoy the random games of valve casual queue.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Shounic's 100 player server is also really fun, and if one is willing to do a little work setting it up Team Fortress 2 Classic is a fun twist on the formula

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Warpy posted:

The Furry Pound will never die https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/192.99.19.228:27015/ & https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/192.99.19.228:27016/ --I'd just recommend disabling sprays and concious objector decals https://gamebanana.com/mods/440269 before you join

Skial / Uncletopia / Furry Pound are the best community servers for NA although personally I still enjoy the random games of valve casual queue.

what about the LazyPurple servers? those are also good community servers for NA :3:

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

JAnon posted:

what about the LazyPurple servers? those are also good community servers for NA :3:

LazyPurples only really fill up with events, but they are fun. They also are mainly community maps too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I was watching a fishstickonastick video about the direct hit and he's talking about scouts. He fades something in on the screen and I don't know what he's referencing, I thought it was a kill icon but it's nothing I recognize? 14:28 timestamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP93_x2lR2w&t=867s

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I was watching a fishstickonastick video about the direct hit and he's talking about scouts. He fades something in on the screen and I don't know what he's referencing, I thought it was a kill icon but it's nothing I recognize? 14:28 timestamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP93_x2lR2w&t=867s

That’s the icon/avatar of a pretty good Scout main who goes by j_peg :0 He has a reputation of being a big tryhard, but he’s a cool dude.

E: He has a YouTube channel too: https://youtube.com/@J_peg?si=hMtClt-ynmaRGWAv

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
j_peg is part of the endangered species "guy who posts unironic tf2 frag videos set to 90s gangster rap" and must be protected at all costs

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm still of the camp that the Direct Hit's damage bonus should only apply to players and not buildings as well as I feel that makes it too much of a hard counter to Engineer(and honestly even if it didn't do the bonus damage against buildings it would still probably be the best rocket launcher against buildings due to the increased speed of its rockets)

Mind you with this hypothetical nerf to the Direct Hit I'd also be advocating for the Wrangler and Short Circuit to be nerfed a lot harder(with the former I'd chop the damage shield in half from 66% down to 33% or maybe even all the way down to 20% while keeping the repair rate nerf at the current 66% or maybe even raise it higher, and with the latter I'd probably just rework it entirely and get rid of projectile deletion for good) since I don't like either of them

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
only thing I'd change about short circuit is adding a "you can't get metal from payloads" downside

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the direct hit is incredibly overpowered and only held back by the fact that the people who would be using it have a deep-seated primal aversion to clicking on enemies instead of vaguely near them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I'm still of the camp that the Direct Hit's damage bonus should only apply to players and not buildings as well as I feel that makes it too much of a hard counter to Engineer(and honestly even if it didn't do the bonus damage against buildings it would still probably be the best rocket launcher against buildings due to the increased speed of its rockets)

Mind you with this hypothetical nerf to the Direct Hit I'd also be advocating for the Wrangler and Short Circuit to be nerfed a lot harder(with the former I'd chop the damage shield in half from 66% down to 33% or maybe even all the way down to 20% while keeping the repair rate nerf at the current 66% or maybe even raise it higher, and with the latter I'd probably just rework it entirely and get rid of projectile deletion for good) since I don't like either of them

Don't let me stop anyone from saying their piece again, but I just want to point out that the argument from the last time you raised this opinion ended on the previous page of this thread.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 1, 2024