Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

cock hero flux posted:

there has been an ongoing robot apocalypse for several years now, casual is basically unplayable

This hasn't been my experience at all. I also returned after a bunch of years, and have almost exclusively been playing casual. Yeah there are some bots, but they get kicked pretty fast, and a couple of times I've gotten into a match that is taken over by bots, and have to re-queue.

Game is great, medic is great, demo, pyro are great, why are there no tf2 smilies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Solarin posted:

greatly appreciate this. it feels impossible to actually play the game with certain classes with terrible FPS. If I could even get 30 consistently that would be miraculous.

A large number of casual matchmaking game I join have bots initiating vote kicks against random players. I’ve been kicked a few times and attempted to be kicked even more. It’s kind of really loving bad, I barely know what is happening as a returning player. I don’t know what a bot even looks like besides them spamming vote kicks and saying ‘f1 bot’

Yeah that sucks, I've been lucky I guess.

In my experience, bots have weird movement, always plays sniper, insta headshots (including snap turns), sometimes plays music/voice clips, sometimes spams chat with a link to some site (omegatronic dot cant remember or a discord link). And are quite often named doeshotter.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Dieting Hippo posted:

i main pyro but you bet your bottom i still slam that thank you command and mumble out the line when i get healed.

"Thanks!" show up in chat as well

I always appreciate thanks as a medic, especially if it's saving someone doing something dumb, or some stuck low health soldier or similar across the map shouting for a heal arrow.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00aSeAwkRiI

Let's see if "copyright lololol" is legally binding

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Thumbtacks posted:

apparently i liquidated my inventory at some point, or i was hacked, not sure which but either way i have no alternate weapons at all, which is unfortunate. are those still random drops or do i have to do bullshit to unlock those now?

Random drops, then use scrap.tf to get the ones you need.

Also hats, a lot are really low in trade value

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Thumbtacks posted:

man you can tell this game has been out for a long rear end time i am getting my poo poo kicked in by EVERYONE. i'm rusty and everyone has been playing for a decade

Trust me, there are plenty of noobs

I met a medic that didn't know vaccinator could swap, not to mention every pyro running past burning teammates.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Thumbtacks posted:

wow i forgot about uncle dane, this is perfect. will watch this now and see how it goes. actively resisting the urge to buy a bunch of cosmetics

As posted upthread, $2.50 in refined metal gets you dozens of hats on scrap.tf. Go wild.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

I dont get class limits, tbh

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

ArfJason posted:

you will get it once you play against a normal team while youre all spies.

I've played this game since before pyro got airblast. I've been in, and played against plenty of dumb and/or funny team compositions. I don't think it should be restricted by server rules.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Reiley posted:

Earnestly asking but: do you play with any sort of stake in possibly winning the match or is the game about the joy of the moment for you? Class limits exist so both groups can find a reasonable gameplay experience, and so the latter group doesn't wash out any hope of the former group finding what they're looking for.

Yeah, I always play to win, thats part of why i main medic, but I don't really mind losing as long as it's not a stomp.

I guess my view is that sometimes 4 demos is the play, and someone joining as the 5th sniper on offence is actively sabotaging the team, forcing them to play something else isn't going to fix them. Maybe I'm underestimating how easy it is to herd players.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

khwarezm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbPFCp-3Dx0
Sick taunt, wanna see it next update.

Great, scout with a solo cup is perfect, as is snipers thermos

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Yeah, had 3 casual matches with bots in a row, and retreated to uncletopia :smith:

It's sad that they can't keep their servers clean, what with the influx of new players.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Eh, spy isn't that bad. They only really negatively impact the game when you have teammates who are playing without sound and can't help but lemming their way into a Kunai.

x2
x2
x2
x2
x2
x2

c4

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

khwarezm posted:

While I've gone on the record saying I don't agree with most of the anti-sniper sentiment these days some guy on youtube actually did run a server for 3 days with sniper completely banned and got some data on the before and after:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFXGwko225k

According to him it basically didn't effect the game much at all beyond making particular chokepoints a lot less dangerous. Now, I imagine that the result could be very different in a much more high skill environment but I thought it was funny nonetheless.

"Some dude" is shounic, who does some amazing tf2 bug videos.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Geight posted:

It should be noted that the Shounic video/experiment was a whopping 96 rounds of TF2 total, 48 with Sniper and 48 without, so it says a lot more about how badly we're teaching statistics these days than anything meaningful about the game's balance.

Whats your statistics background? I can't remember enough from university to set up a confidence calculation, but you kinda sounds like one of the "you can't poll people with only a 1000 participants" people.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

They should just make tribes. Flags in the open, soldiers and demomen capping as fast as their explosions can carry them.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Radiation Games posted:

The only class I do not enjoy fighting is the heavy and that is for silly reasons caused by the way the game was advertised; i.e. they always seem to have a pocket medic

I don't think heavy is pocketed due to marketing.

He's a solid choice that has a lot of health and pushes the frontline, and unlike soldier and demo, doesn't explosive jump away from you constantly.

He's also the only pocket target that can heal you back.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I hate to say it, but for better or for worse, Overwatch IS the sequel to TF2.

:frogout:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

girl dick energy posted:

When Scout is not on screen, other characters should be asking “where’s Scout?”

That is just sensible defensive play

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

the holy poopacy posted:

Having a bunch of buildings to constrain spy movement does make smacking spies a bit less risky, at least until they start climbing your buildings and then all bets are off.

TF2 is a horror game

khwarezm posted:

Look, don't craft any hats, just go on backpack.tf and look for something you like, the average cosmetic will probably cost less than 2 refined metal.

:hmmyes: I've had good experiences with scrap.tf

Milo and POTUS posted:

Good news is I doubt I had anything like that.

Bet you had some green promo tie in gear

Milo and POTUS posted:

For god's sake I wanted to wear a hot dog hat what do I know about style.

...you wanna buy some boots

Good news:
https://backpack.tf/stats/Unique/Bootenkhamuns/Tradable/Craftable
https://backpack.tf/stats/Unique/Hot%20Dogger/Tradable/Craftable

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

UltraShame posted:

does TF2 still have huge endemic bot problem? my kid wants to play and I don't know any dedicated servers. If so, not going to bother.

Play on uncletopia, now you know of several.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

:justpost: its always fun when someone argues against orthodoxy