Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I feel like I have fun 1 out of every 5 games in Overwatch because I have to play heroes I don’t enjoy to have it not be an utter stomp. In TF2 I can play whatever and enjoy 4 out 5 games. That one game is usually bad because of blatant hackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I think there are certain things TF2 could crib from OW, but overall TF2 is generally the more enjoyable experience. I really only get annoyed with TF2 if there are blatant hackers. Even with missed matched pubs I can usually do well enough to make it enjoyable. If one person isn’t playing well it really makes OW a chore.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I totally agree. I think tanks make Overwatch stale and it’s not really fun to play as or against, but if you don’t have one you lost already.

If TF2 could bring over functionality like Lucio, Moria, Doomfist I think it could as a some interesting dynamics. We already have superior versions of most of the offense and defensive hero’s as it is, a few new healers might add new strats.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I agree with the community servers committed suicide stance. I remember clearly when they first added it how 8/10 servers had forced ads. A lot of the bigger communities avoided it and they still have decent numbers today. Hell, skail for all of its BS still fills up pretty consistently if you’re looking for a specific map.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’m east coast US and I’ve never had a problem with casual. It usually takes under 30 seconds for normal modes. I haven’t tried comp matchmaking in months because it’s abysmal between hackers or no one actually trying.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Welp. B4nny continues as the most successful and potentially best TF2 player of all time.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
They changed the way flame particles work so you most likely are dying quicker. Luckily most people are bad about positioning so you should be able to out play the vast majority of pyros.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Isn't this all of TF2 tho

Some maps benefit Scouts.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Same here. I’d say you’re in good company but we all probably need to be committed.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
7/Prolander is a unique take on Highlander. It’s a middle ground between 6s and HL that plays both 5CP and Payload maps. Because it’s a 1 class limit you get a lot of variety without the exact same dynamic of HL. Also there’s no item whitelist and teams pick and ban at the start of the game to make things have an extra layer.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Good ole cookie. Did he ever get actually caught? I thought he just avoided lans then fell off to obscurity

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Yeah, I wouldn’t say his stream is indicative of the current state of TF2. I get a bad match maybe 1 in 10. It’s usually a blatant aimbot, I’ve only seen a lag bot once.

People watching Star’s stream are going to snipe him. I don’t know if comp would really save them. Pro OW players get sniped all the time, and they are in GM Elo, which isn’t particularly easy to get into. Even PUBG and Fortnite streamers get sniped regularly, and that’s with huge maps and very fast, random turn around on new games.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I too have had the opposite experience. I came back after playing OW for a while since I enjoy shooting people in my shooter game, instead of tanking or healing only. I’m rusty as hell, but it’s still a good time. I haven’t gotten a lag bot and only a few aimbots.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Matchmaking isn’t as bad as not playing a preferred team comp in my opinion. Even if I’m on my best game, my team can lose pretty easily because we picked the wrong tank/DPS/healer and the teammate refuses to switch. That’s not really the case in TF2 because there is only one hero, and if your team has a decent amount of generalist you can get by.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Brazil was added in the Jungle Inferno update. The point itself isn’t too bad but I agree the remaining space is pretty awful.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
That’s super strange. I run a GTX1060 and i5 and maintain 180+ with everything maxed regardless of the situation.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I don’t know of a goon discord but there are quite a few TF2 discord’s that are active. Usually they are tied to larger youtubers though so you get a mix of kids and young adults depending on the one your in.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Jippa posted:

I play mainly soldier with conch (so no shot gun). I have these really weird interactions with good pyros where he is standing there looking at me wanting me to fire a rocket and I'm waggling my mouse faking firing a rocket to bait out his air blast then firing after that. Some times we just stand there and look at each other like it's a western.

I play gunboats almost exclusively and I can usually just jump( since most soldiers jump to fire) to bait an airblast. Also putting a Rocket right on the edge of the airblast seems to throw them off too.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I do 5CP, Koth, and a select few PL maps and I never have trouble queuing in under a minute. I’m also east coast US so that helps as well.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
6s and 8s works well on 5CP and Koth. I don’t know how anyone can enjoy Junction considering it’s basically a HL2 map with nothing but corridors. Gravel pit and Steel can be a slog, but at least they allow for some strategy, junction is just a spammy meat grinder.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I know you’ve said it before but where are you queuing from? I’m on the east course of US and get matches in VA servers within a minute or two.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Irrelevant because the ham is the superior weapon for all classes anyway.

Your autocorrect changed pan to ham. That’s weird.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Otacon posted:

Thanks all, definitely knew I missed a few

I think I've used the Iron Bomber for all of 5 minutes when it was first released, and I typically don't see many Demo's running it... how do you use it differently compared against the standard grenade launcher?

Most top players that main demo use it because the grenades don’t roll so near misses deal consistent damage. Psychology it feels better to shoot for me because the grenades are spherical.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I mean I was a little disappointed when all the comments weren’t simply “git gud.” Clearly he doesn’t like arcade style shooters, but to say TF2 is ugly and difficult to navigate maps is objectionably wrong. Kids these days.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I mean there are pyros that do things that are fun and skillful, but the would always be better spent playing soldier, scout, or demo instead.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
OW has some cool concepts that I think could be cribbed by TF2, but they also have some mind numbingly awful gameplay decisions that make it bad as well. The amount of heath and healing in the game can make it quite a slog. That doesn’t get into crowd control, shields, and hard counters.

I think a big part of the issues with OW maps is they really don’t iterate much. It comes out then remains unchanged, where TF typically made a lot of changes to maps in the early days (pre-F2P). Also TF2 had a better design philosophy with the 2 1/2 entrances per choke point so it wasn’t easy to lock down.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Sininu posted:

What's that meta and design philosophy about?

The current meta is 3 tanks 3 healers, lots of health and sustain, no one dies until ults are used. It’s typically Reinhardt, Zara, DVA, Brigette, Lucia, Zen. There are variations where DVA is switched with Sombra or Zen with Ana. Games are slow until a clean fight is one, then fights snowball with ult advantage.

My personal belief is that if tanks weren’t a thing, and cc wasn’t a thing that it is, OW could be better than TF2, but dumping a ton of resources in one character then as effective health in the 1000 range can be pretty annoying. Especially when they can be stack healed to full in two seconds.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I disagree. Hit boxes in OW are huge and everyone moves relatively slow. Outside a few hero’s weapons are hitscan or auto-aim. I’d say only Genji and Tracer are extremely mechanical extensive. It’s really more of a first person MOBA than a shooter as far as what skills are needed.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

Crit boxes are still way smaller than TF2 hitboxes, and there's way less falloff so you can't just rely on point blank shots as much as TF2.

That’s not true either. Head hitboxes in TF2 are smaller than the average one in OW. Just because only sniper and spy can hit critical damage headshots doesn’t somehow mean it’s a difficult thing to do in OW. I’d argue the opposite, landing Mcree headshots seems a lot easier than landing with the ambassador, even on more mobile characters. Widow also seems easier than Sniper because the time between shots is substantially shorter.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’d say there are some things in the game that are pretty glaringly wrong considering the original design, but overall it’s still really fun to play and the issues that detract don’t do so in such a way that ruins the game.

Most of the main issue with the game are that valve used it as a test bed for other projects that never took off and then left this 1/4 assembled thing in the game that no one really uses except for people dedicated to that specific niche. MvM has gone a lot longer than the main game without an update and it shows. However, loot crates and weapon skins took off for them so they ported it to all of their other games.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’m an American in the east coast and most of your issues don’t really occur to me. I never wait more than a minute for a casual match, unless I’m playing a super obscure map (and I wouldn’t refer to foundry as obscure either).

As for community servers, they killed themselves during the quickplay changes, well before the change to matchmaking. I also think you forget that the majority of community servers were rtd, donator perk, 24/7 one map, instant respawn garbage. The Lost Continents fizzled our before the match making changes, as did most good community servers because, well people moved on. We were left with heavily modded servers and for a while pinion ads. Those type of servers still exist, and are randomly populated, but most normal play is fine on the casual servers.

Obviously there are still a ton of issues with the game, and the issues may be worse in regions that aren’t the US or EU. I think the experience could use an overhaul for new players since it’s now a very complex game compared to the last time it loaded up. I can still play pretty normal matches on CP, AD, PL, PLR maps without issue.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
In my horrible opinion it’s the following for “try harding:”

Scout - Stock
Demo - Stock
Spy - Stock
Heavy - Tomislav/ Stock Minigun, sandwich, fist of steel
Soldier - Rocket Launcher, Gun boats (shotgun if there are a lot of decent scouts or good air blasting pyros), escape plan
Pyro - Degreaser, shotgun(detonator for mobility or harassment), powerjack
Medic - crossbow, Uber/kritz, ubersaw
Sniper - Stock Rifle, Jarate, Stock
Engineer - honestly this really is all dependent on map and play style, I generally go Shotgun, pistol, gunslinger because I hate baby sitting a sentry, but there are too many options to list an optimal without going into great detail.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I agree with the iron bomber, Buswacka, and I don’t know about any of the pyro changes because I rarely play pyro, so I could be completely wrong.

I’d still argue the Soldier is best with stock, gunboats or shotgun and escape plan. The backpacks are kind of gimmicks that I don’t think add to the always usefulness of the gunboats or shotgun. In comp 6s the Cow Mangler could be switched out, but I hate the effects of it and rarely use it.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Jurf maps are the true test of skill.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’ve put myself on a self imposed no power class play to spice things up (no Demo, Soldier, or Scout). That means I’ve been playing a lot of pyro. I never played more than 10 hours since the release of TF2, so I can’t speak of how he used to play, but it’s definitely awkward to use him. If it wasn’t for air blast and having good shotgun aim I’d be a horrible burden to my team.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

Since there's apparently a market for World of Warcraft Classic, is there a market for Team Fortress 2 Classic?

TF2 Classic is a mod, but it’s TF2 alpha/beta instead of release, so it’s funky.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Community tab is what you want. Valve servers cannot be directly logged into since meet your match I believe

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Peanut President posted:

a button that lets you turn off unusuals :popeye:

Or just turn off all cosmetics. There is something beautiful about the original esthetic of the game.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

hi do people still play this game and do you want a goon medic to fail to heal you but try?

hit me up if so

I think there are some of us that still play. Most of us have kind of aged out of playing daily and catch a few games or so when we can.

You can feel free to add me, I’m US east coast; http://steamcommunity.com/id/oxygenpoisoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Really, the only time this game gets me frustrated is when there’s a blatant hacker that the other team refuses to kick. Luckily, the last 3 times I’ve seen a hacker, we’ve gotten them kicked in a few minutes. Less blatant ones are a little more difficult, and honestly I can live with a wall hacker just because it can be out played.