Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

1969 was a special year. Not only was it the sexiest year, it was also full of filthy hippies. It was also the year in which mankind's greatest achievement was realized: The first Led Zeppelin album was released, and Stairway to Heaven was preemptively banned in music stores everywhere. Some other events also happened, like the Beatles last public performance, the first flight of the Boeing 747, Puff Daddy stole his first beat (it was a heart beat), and, oh yeah,
:patriot:WE LANDED ON THE loving MOON:911:

So what is this, other than an excuse to grossly inflate my post count? Why, it's a Let's Build, featuring

holy poo poo that's a lot of bags. How many parts did the box say this was?

gently caress me. This is going to take forever.

"Belay that bullshit, son. Did I give up when they had me floating in that cold as hell dunk tank for five hours straight until my all-American testicles were like shriveled up raisins?"

Well Mr. Armstrong I

"NO I DID NOT, and that's because I'm not a pussy, and I'm willing to bet you aren't either! So open up your manual, find some motivation, and put my pale white rear end on the moon!"

Sir yes sir!

Okay, step one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
...uh. Okay.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Needs audience participation. And maybe firing the result in the general direction of the orbit.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

A.o.D. posted:

"Belay that bullshit, son. Did I give up when they had me floating in that cold as hell dunk tank for five hours straight until my all-American testicles were like shriveled up raisins?"

Well Mr. Armstrong I

"NO I DID NOT, and that's because I'm not a pussy, and I'm willing to bet you aren't either! So open up your manual, find some motivation, and put my pale white rear end on the moon!"

This is more something that Buzz Aldrin would say, just before taking someone denying the Moon landing, snapping their spine in twain over his knee and mounting their corpse in front of a NASA building like a scarecrow but for Flat Earthers. Armstrong seemed to be more of the Mr Rogers type.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Man, those were good times, weren't they? I remember them like it was just last year. However, what's the point of a Let's thread without context? After all, very nearly no one who will read this was alive when last Man walked on the surface of another world, and there's a non-zero chance that there's at least one person who will read this that will believe that the whole thing was an elaborate hoax.

I, however, do not intend to discuss those things with you today. Today, you will LEARN.

The man pictured here was Robert Goddard. He's the father of the Space Age. This fact is not open for debate. If you want to learn more about the minutia of his life, the whos, whats, whens, wheres, and whys, there are a ton of books available at your local library where you can learn more about the man and his contributions to modern rocketry.

Instead, let me just illustrate where he stands in the history of the world.

Before: Chinese fireworks, idiots with poo poo artillery.

After: Nazis bombing London with impunity, Russians putting a dog in space, ICBMs ready to rain death on everyone's heads at a moment's notice, :patriot:WE LANDED ON THE loving MOON:911:, Instantaneous global communication, exploring the vast reaches of the solar system, seeing further and more clearly than anyone before us has dared hope for, landing rockets the same way we launch them (this last one might unironically be the most difficult engineering feat to date).

Goddard was the God of modern rocketry.

But enough of the history lesson, you didn't come here to actually learn anything, you came here to boss me around or tell me what Buzz Aldrin would have said. I'm now going to disappoint you. Building this rocket isn't going to be very interactive. I'm not going to be naming a 4x4 beige Lego brick "buttface mcworthington" or inaugurating two pieces that will never meet into a long distance romantic relationship. I will also not be going off-script and end up building some sort of frankenrocket like this was "Twitch builds a Saturn V". This rocket is going to be built, and it's going to be built on time and under budget. Also, there's no way for Buzz to talk to me from beyond the grave because he's still alive, so Neal Armstrong was definitely the one that gave me that pep talk.

Oh god, I hope Gus Grissom doesn't visit, that would be grody.

Without further ado, let's get to building:

Our first chapter begins with assembling the skeleton of the first stage of our rocket. We can't get to space with it, but we sure as hell can't get there without it. We'll talk more about the particulars of this component's function as we start building those sections, but for now, let's begin our assembly.

Some of you might be thinking we'll be taking shortcuts on our journey to the moon. No. Every step of this 1,969 piece journey will be lovingly, shittily documented by my camera phone as we slowly work our way to the top. If you want to play the home game, think of this as a replacement set of instructions in case Laika eats yours.

As you can see here, we're building some very innocent looking components, which, while appearing unassuming, will eventually have to bear almost the entire weight of our assembled structure. Proper seating of pieces is very important if you want this thing to stay together!

Bit by bit the supports are mounted to the baseplate of the rocket. The result of our efforts today look like this:

Whew! All of a sudden I'm getting tired from all of this constructing. Not only that, but I have procedures I have to submit to QC and DCMA for verification and approval, but not before I use my personal stamp (#41789) to buy off all the steps I've performed on the procedure. Before I go, let me say this: I actually used to build real space ships and my buy off stamp actually was 41789. The Space Shuttle External Fuel Tank, to be specific, and I'd be happy to chat with you about rockets, space, dumb space stuff, space politics, space history, the space core, or whatever else you want to talk about that I find appropriate or interesting and that I have personal knowledge of. I won't go to the e-libraries for information, only photos, so expect me to get plenty of details and facts wrong, which is sure to be hilarious for you!

Thanks for reading.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Yes, yes good

Space chat: my grandpa worked on various space things, like the CANADARM. I might see if my folks have any of his files sitting around, see if there's anything neat in them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

dumb space stuff,

How many floating space poops jokes ended up getting made besides the famous Apollo poop? Just how much has humanity poo poo up space?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

How many floating space poops jokes ended up getting made besides the famous Apollo poop? Just how much has humanity poo poo up space?

That depends on how many of you're posts were broadcast into the void!!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A.o.D. posted:

That depends on how many of you're posts were broadcast into the void!!!

i am undone

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Today friends, we will continue our build of the Saturn V Lego set.

Yesterday I briefly spoke about an American scientist and inventor who created the field of modern rocketry, so now it's only natural that I continue the discussion with a Nazi aristocrat.

Of course I'm speaking of Werner eine große Anzahl von zweiter Vornamen von Braun. He was born in a year, and did some things, and joined the Nazi party shortly before the outbreak of World War II. He was an important figure in the V-2 development program that indiscriminately rained destruction and terror on England during the later stages of the war. The allies were quick to realize the revolutionary nature of the vengeance weapons von Braun and his team had developed, and as the war came to a close both sides rushed to capture the personnel and facilities. Von Braun took himself and over 100 of his fellow workers over to the Americans, while the Russians got the bulk of the documents and the facilities at ( a word that means End of the World).

In exchange for amnesty the now former-nazi von Braun agreed to assist the Americans with their own rocketry program. This was facilitated by several things, the first being that von Braun had a difficult relationship with the Nazi party and so he wasn't seen as one of the true believer war criminals that had to be dealt with in the aftermath of the war. Second, and most importantly, holy poo poo the Soviets captured the Peenemünde facility and they're already building hundreds of those drat things and I don't care if he slept with Hitler we need von Braun to get our rocket program jump started RIGHT loving NOW.

Fortunately for the 'mericans, von Braun and his team had the goods, and he kickstarted the United States ICBM program. What, you thought I was going to talk about how he developed manned space flight? Ha, ha, no. The first thing the US did with their spoils of war was work out how to deliver canned sunlight to any point on the globe in under an hour, or your next one's free! Despite all the official talk about peace dividends and leading the free world, almost all of the American rocketry effort was focused on securing a one-sided imbalance of power with which to dictate world policy. If it hadn't been for a beeping silver ball, a doomed dog, and a handsome Russian lad, the United States' policy makers might never have realized how small time they were, and probably would have never have invested in the glorious vanity projects that we all know and love.

Just ask your бабушка how wet her шаровары got when she saw comrade Yuri for the first time.

So, thanks to the Russians beating us to all sorts of important rocketry milestones, and the fact that von Braun and his team were so easy to work with, greater leeway and trust was placed with ze Germans and the United States' manned spaceflight program begun in earnest.

So many pieces, and yet nothing that is visible from the final product. However, like any good politician we have to build our base support, so there's no choice but to keep plugging along.

If only I had a Nixonian silent majority to call upon, perhaps this would be done more quickly. Alas, none of the pieces I've touched so far could consider themselves the most common type, much less a majority.

Now that I've told a pack of lies, kissed a bundle of babies, and accepted a ton of bribes I can show off the base of support I've built!

It still doesn't look like much, does it?

Next time:
code:
what do you do with a Nazi?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

A.o.D. posted:

Next time:
code:
what do you do with a Nazi?

Oh, this is going to segue into a LP for The New Colossus?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

OAquinas posted:

Oh, this is going to segue into a LP for The New Colossus?

I am not that clever.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

LashLightning posted:

This is more something that Buzz Aldrin would say, just before taking someone denying the Moon landing, snapping their spine in twain over his knee and mounting their corpse in front of a NASA building like a scarecrow but for Flat Earthers. Armstrong seemed to be more of the Mr Rogers type.

I totally want to tweet this to Buzz, but I'm afraid he'd still punch me regardless.

Edit: VV That's exactly my concern. He'd read it, laugh at it, then come fly to my house and punch me anyway. Which...I might actually be okay with.

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Nah, pretty sure he's see the humor.

May still punch you though. Gotta love that he has a legal precedent for suckerpunching anyone saying it's a fake to his face.

• Locked thread