Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm in the process of buying a house; for a number of reasons I'd like to have a few cameras scattered around the property. For this to be maximally useful to me, I need to be able to access the feeds from a phone, so that means letting the cameras talk to the broader internet.

I've never done this because I'm not much of an infosec geek, and have the general perception that most of these systems are not very well designed. I saw a presentation at shmoocon a few years ago where one such camera was found to be throwing data into discoverable, unencrypted files in unprotected s3 buckets.

Does anyone have any general guidance here, or know of a good guide to "setting up a camera system without allowing random bored teenagers to watch you cook"? Is this even a reasonable idea, or should I just abandon the phone idea and resort to something that's not connected to the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
It's definitely a legit concern, and a safe assumption that any built in security on these devices is worthless. I would probably also ignore any "cloud" features the device comes with as those are probably worthless as well. I have an Amcrest camera that I access over VPN from my phone, using the OpenVPN app on Android & the Amcrest app. Seems to work well enough and also reasonably secure.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Most of the cloud based ones are either dogshit tier coding on top of moronic security systems, or rebranded and packaged version of camera boards from people with dogshit tier coding standards.

Your best bet is to get regular old IP security cameras, and use Zoneminder or iSpy or another free/cheap/open source camera management tool. Host the data local and stream it through a VPN and you should be more or less safe from incidental lovely practices from the people you bought your cameras from.

If you have the equipment needed to do so, you can also vlan off the cameras into their own little ghetto and only allow a single port on the Zoneminder VM to access it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Hardlines is the only answer. From there you can feed them into a computer and manage security far better. Other than that, you'll just have to be slightly concerned some weirdo can watch you cook naked in the kitchen. If you do go wireless, buy a different router and put them on their own network. I'm less concerned about someone watching me than the potential backdoor into the network.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The security on those things is laughably bad and cannot be relied on. I hardwired mine but if that's not an option, I definitely echo the previous posters comments about putting them onto a separate network. If I had to use wireless I would VLAN all of them for sure, don't leave that poo poo accessible or on the same network as your other stuff.

• Locked thread