Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Baloogan posted:

earth is the best its ever been and getting better every day

it is sending us warm regards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Feranon posted:

misanthropy is lazy and cowardly and bougie as gently caress

Counterpoint: Your carbon footprint

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Feranon posted:

tbh I don't think the vast majority of people deserve to have their carbon footprint held against them, contrary to :smug: liberal belief. not even the coal rolling redneck idiots. we're all just itsy bitsy specks in a consumer culture that promotes and rewards ignorance, and has been built around the extensive use of fossil fuel and automobiles for pretty much every-drat-thing. the rich assholes who made it that way to further enrich themselves, and the rich assholes who are keeping it that way to stay further enriched, and the officials who do their bidding all represent a very tiny and lovely minority of the human population and should be guillotined asap.

us regular folks can take measures to avoid waste and overconsumption, and we can even feel warm and fuzzy and pat ourselves on the back about it if we want. but even people who aren't conscious of their carbon footprint are just living life on the most enjoyable terms they can in the soul-sucking world rich assholes constructed for them.

You sound like a misanthropist since you're trying to justify human extinction tbh.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Frijolero posted:

Climate Change has been personalized and made to be about individual action instead of holding the 70 largest polluting corporations responsible.

The March for Science was a bunch of suburban Libs grabbing rear end instead of holding the oil lobby accountable for their very real climate change denial actions.

It actually needs to be about both things. Also the paper you are talking about only looks at pollution by CO2e footprint not by plastic proliferation, deforestation, soil misuse, etc... metrics.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

bartlett posted:

I wonder what would happen if all humans did in fact die one day? Would the planet really be better off?

Answer: No, you idiots who claim this. The Earth would one die perish in a fiery solar storm as the sun went nova and took out the inner four planets in one titanic purge (as in everything dies). Geez, read Asimov once in a while and stop trying to project your secret suicide fantasies on other people for a change.

Yes thank you for letting us know that one day the sun will go nova and take out our planet which will likely have an atmosphere composed mostly of supercritical carbon dioxide by that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Wheeee posted:

lol if you think anything short of a planet killing asteroid is going to wipe humanity out

I like how we've convinced ourselves that "greenhouse effect" is somehow not on the same tier of threat as "asteroid impact"

• Locked thread