Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Apple announced that they are raising rates on AppleTV+, Apple Arcade, Apple News and Apple One subscriptions.

We just recently started using Verizon to get Apple One for $10 a month. How long will it be before Verizon raises the cost of that or stops offering that bundle? We just got a year of Netflix through Verizon (for an $84 year subscription to AMC+) but we get that guaranteed for a year. Apple One is month to month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Apple announced that they are raising rates on AppleTV+, Apple Arcade, Apple News and Apple One subscriptions.

We just recently started using Verizon to get Apple One for $10 a month. How long will it be before Verizon raises the cost of that or stops offering that bundle? We just got a year of Netflix through Verizon (for an $84 year subscription to AMC+) but we get that guaranteed for a year. Apple One is month to month.

Legit not sure, but this is something I will be keeping an eye on , similar boat here.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hey Duckman, any insight on the Unlimited Ultimate offer I just got?

Looks like the same as what I have now with Play More (I think it's that on my line), but more hotspot (60GB) and interesting offers.

From what I'm reading, I can get the Disney Bundle (which I currently have for free on my plan) for $10/mo, but then a $15 monthly credit that could be used toward that bundle? So essentially still getting the bundle free but with $5/mo extra (would pay for part of my no-ads on Hulu, or all of our Apple TV+)?

Plus, it looks like 50% off 2 connected devices instead of just the one.

I didn't see what the monthly is, but if it's pretty close to where I'm at now, it might be worth it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Hey Duckman, any insight on the Unlimited Ultimate offer I just got?

Looks like the same as what I have now with Play More (I think it's that on my line), but more hotspot (60GB) and interesting offers.

From what I'm reading, I can get the Disney Bundle (which I currently have for free on my plan) for $10/mo, but then a $15 monthly credit that could be used toward that bundle? So essentially still getting the bundle free but with $5/mo extra (would pay for part of my no-ads on Hulu, or all of our Apple TV+)?

Plus, it looks like 50% off 2 connected devices instead of just the one.

I didn't see what the monthly is, but if it's pretty close to where I'm at now, it might be worth it.

Did you get a specific offer?

The unlimited ultimate normally is $10 a month more than Play more. Disney plus would be $10 a month instead of free.

You would get a discount off two connected devices, but don’t you have a few lines on Do more unlimited? If so, you’re already getting that discount.

The $15 off is for one service via “plus play,” which could be like, HBO or Netflix. Disney and Apple are different.

I would be hesitant to switch unless you are going over the 50GB priority data you get with play more. Which most people aren’t.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ahh, ok. Gotcha. It was just a marketing email.

I don't ever hit my hotspot cap, but it wouldn't hurt to have more.

If I were able to use the credit to pay for the bundle, then it would end up only costing another $5/mo, which might have made it worth it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Ahh, ok. Gotcha. It was just a marketing email.

I don't ever hit my hotspot cap, but it wouldn't hurt to have more.

If I were able to use the credit to pay for the bundle, then it would end up only costing another $5/mo, which might have made it worth it.

Oh yeah, for sure, but yeah basically it’s $20 a month more for you. I really only recommend that plan if someone travels 10+ days international.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
What's the best way to upgrade an iPhone XR to something recent without adding a new line? It's currently on the go unlimited plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TwoDice posted:

What's the best way to upgrade an iPhone XR to something recent without adding a new line? It's currently on the go unlimited plan.

Call sales at (800) 256-4646 and ask if there are any retention offers for upgrading on your current plan.

If you are lucky , the answer will be yes and you get a $400-700 trade in over 3 years.

If you are unlucky, for $7 a month more you can get a $400 trade in.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Same thing with an iPhone 12? I’m thinking I wanna bump to a 14 while I wait for a model that doesn’t have hamstrung USB C.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

Same thing with an iPhone 12? I’m thinking I wanna bump to a 14 while I wait for a model that doesn’t have hamstrung USB C.

The iPhone 14 sometimes is discounted as a loyalty offer, I would call sales at (800) 256-4646 and ask them what retention offers you can qualify for. Mileage will vary, all discounts are 36 month contracts.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Is there still a subsidy on the P8P?

That said, I do have to admit that 36 months' worth of bill credits is less palatable than the old 24 months' worth, even though I've every intention of keeping the P8P for at least four years of the seven it'll apparently get updates for.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Is there still a subsidy on the P8P?

That said, I do have to admit that 36 months' worth of bill credits is less palatable than the old 24 months' worth, even though I've every intention of keeping the P8P for at least four years of the seven it'll apparently get updates for.

I’m off until tomorrow, but it should still be there yes.

3 year contracts do suck yes.

One unofficial hack for them is you can always try 3rd party purchasing if you decide to upgrade early. Example: last year I was halfway through my 24 month promo for the 13 Pro. I went through Apple directly, traded in my 13 Pro for the 14 Pro, I think I got like, $550 (I paid outright the difference, no financing).

Apple’s trade in terms technically say the trade in can’t be on a payment plan, but I rolled the dice and didn’t have an issue. So YMMV for sure on this.

I’m going to upgrade closer to Christmas , and I upgrade my phone every year, so I may keep going through Apple. My wife upgrades every 1-2 years depending on the promo, so I may do the 36 months for her, and upgrade her early via outright trade in with Apple at 24 months ish.

The big reason 36 months can suck is battery depreciation. My wife wouldn’t be looking to upgrade her 13 pro except her battery life is already meh, and would be terrible waiting a 3rd year.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

The big reason 36 months can suck is battery depreciation. My wife wouldn’t be looking to upgrade her 13 pro except her battery life is already meh, and would be terrible waiting a 3rd year.

why not just do a battery replacement?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

why not just do a battery replacement?

Well, I’m actually doing both this year.

I’m going to upgrade my wife’s phone, trade in my Mom’s iPhone 8 ($400 trade in), get the battery replaced in the 13 Pro and pass that down to my mom.

In general , I’ve worked in phones 15ish years, so the one indulgence I do for myself is upgrading my phone yearly (I’ll swap around promos to minimize cost as much as I can). A side result is I try not to let me wife get “too far behind” because I would feel a bit hypocritical if I am getting a new phone every year and I leave my wife on like, an iPhone 11 or something.

Plus, I can tell you I realized a long time ago the worst thing for me is to work all day answering phone questions, and I come home and my wife goes “my phone is having issue x, y and z.” So keeping the phone up to date helps avoid that issue too.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hey Duckman, I'm getting double billed for the Disney Bundle on my account. I've got an $18 account charge for it and then a $10 charge on one of my lines for it too. I've clicked around on the site and can't figure out a way to fix this on my own, I assume I need to call customer care :negative:, or worse go into a store?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

Hey Duckman, I'm getting double billed for the Disney Bundle on my account. I've got an $18 account charge for it and then a $10 charge on one of my lines for it too. I've clicked around on the site and can't figure out a way to fix this on my own, I assume I need to call customer care :negative:, or worse go into a store?

Yeah, of course you should not be billed twice for this. I assume it’s accidentally a feature code on there twice, but the system shouldn’t allow it (yeah I know, key word shouldn’t).

Dial care at (800) 392-0717 , give it 30-40 minutes and they should fix it and credit you.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Hey Duckman, not sure if you’re still answering questions in your new position but here goes anyway:

I bought my wife a new iPhone today from the Apple Store. I had them do “post sale activation” because I’m giving it to her tomorrow for her birthday. Despite that, they still had to run it through my Verizon account and had me confirm a bunch of stuff, including the plan she’s on.

However, the plan it listed her as being on is not the plan she is actually on. The plan she’s actually on is 5G Start 1.0, but in the Apple rep’s Verizon app it said she was on something like “4G LTE Hotspot 1500” or something like that. I asked the Apple Rep, but he was pretty clueless when it came to Verizon questions and said all he could do is confirm the plan that was already there or change me to one of the new plans.

We confirmed the existing plan even though it was wrong, but I haven’t activated the phone and probably won’t until tomorrow or Sunday.

My question - when we activate the phone, will it let us keep the same plans that we’re currently on, or is it gonna force us to one of the new plans, or even worse, this mystery “4G Hotspot” plan?

My guess is that the “4G Hotspot” plan it said she was on is just a placeholder to signify a plan that is no longer offered, but if that’s the case, hopefully we can still upgrade the device without changing the plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Hey Duckman, not sure if you’re still answering questions in your new position but here goes anyway:

I bought my wife a new iPhone today from the Apple Store. I had them do “post sale activation” because I’m giving it to her tomorrow for her birthday. Despite that, they still had to run it through my Verizon account and had me confirm a bunch of stuff, including the plan she’s on.

However, the plan it listed her as being on is not the plan she is actually on. The plan she’s actually on is 5G Start 1.0, but in the Apple rep’s Verizon app it said she was on something like “4G LTE Hotspot 1500” or something like that. I asked the Apple Rep, but he was pretty clueless when it came to Verizon questions and said all he could do is confirm the plan that was already there or change me to one of the new plans.

We confirmed the existing plan even though it was wrong, but I haven’t activated the phone and probably won’t until tomorrow or Sunday.

My question - when we activate the phone, will it let us keep the same plans that we’re currently on, or is it gonna force us to one of the new plans, or even worse, this mystery “4G Hotspot” plan?

My guess is that the “4G Hotspot” plan it said she was on is just a placeholder to signify a plan that is no longer offered, but if that’s the case, hopefully we can still upgrade the device without changing the plan?

1. I am always here answering questions no matter my position. lol.

2. I think their systems are just being weird. I’ve never heard of what you posted, although it mirrors ish some really old plan. But again, I think it’s their system.

You can def upgrade without changing plan. Always be proactive. Once she has the phone and such , call care at (800) 392-0717 and confirm that the plan is the same.

Should be fine, but always double check.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thanks for the info! Would you recommend we call that number before we do all the self-activation stuff on the phone? Or after just to confirm?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Thanks for the info! Would you recommend we call that number before we do all the self-activation stuff on the phone? Or after just to confirm?

I would say after. Probably either way is fine.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

As of today, I'm back on Verizon after ~7 years with T-Mobile. It's my wife and I along with what I will call two "charity" lines. Is there a way to block a line from adding on various add-ons (Verizon cloud, upgraded spam blocker, etc.) as if they were phone lines for children?

I feel like the Verizon site is obtuse as hell and if this is an option, I haven’t found it yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kirk Vikernes posted:

As of today, I'm back on Verizon after ~7 years with T-Mobile. It's my wife and I along with what I will call two "charity" lines. Is there a way to block a line from adding on various add-ons (Verizon cloud, upgraded spam blocker, etc.) as if they were phone lines for children?

I feel like the Verizon site is obtuse as hell and if this is an option, I haven’t found it yet.

In theory they shouldn’t be able to at all, but I don’t know if there is a block. Care may know, although care is outsourced now so have patience when you call.

Direct number: (800) 392-0717

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This isn't VZW-specific, but anyone with Google Play Store Gold (or above) status might want to check their offers. Google is offering 40% off the Pixel 8, Pixel 8 Pro, and the Pixel Tablet, not model or storage specific, just 40% off blanket.

With 40% off and a $230 trade-in value on my Pixel 5, I'm getting an unlocked P8P 1TB for $656.78 after taxes (and pending their approval of my trade-in, which has been in a case since the day I bought it and is in near-flawless condition) and a whopping $2.98 off in Google Store credit. *And* I get ~$84 in Google Store credit because I'm on Google One at the moment.

Presumably newer phones would get more of a trade in credit. P7s and above seem to be ~$300-350.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 12, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This isn't VZW-specific, but anyone with Google Play Store Gold (or above) status might want to check their offers. Google is offering 40% off the Pixel 8, Pixel 8 Pro, and the Pixel Tablet, not model or storage specific, just 40% off blanket.

With 40% off and a $230 trade-in value on my Pixel 5, I'm getting an unlocked P8P 1TB for $656.78 after taxes (and pending their approval of my trade-in, which has been in a case since the day I bought it and is in near-flawless condition) and a whopping $2.98 off in Google Store credit. *And* I get ~$84 in Google Store credit because I'm on Google One at the moment.

Presumably newer phones would get more of a trade in credit. P7s and above seem to be ~$300-350.

Does this stack on top of the existing discounts Google is already offering on the devices, or is it in place of those?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

Does this stack on top of the existing discounts Google is already offering on the devices, or is it in place of those?

I *think* it might? I remember the stock price of the 128GB version being $799 and the 1TB being $1199 when it was tabulating the discount(s). It also stacks with the trade-in credit if you're going that route.

Again, pending their approval of my trade-in, I just scored a 1TB P8P for ~$660, even though the immediate cost was $889.76, minus $230 when the trade-in for my P5 is approved.

I'm a little peeved in retrospect because I didn't realize my preferred shopping portal was offering 1mi/$ for Google Store purchases so I missed out on nearly 900 Alaska miles. :smith:

EDIT: No, it seems I was charged $1399 - 40%, before the $230 trade-in. *Not* $1199. Still, I got a 1TB P8P for $656, and buying the base 128GB model with just the $200 off and $230 trade-in comes out to $616.94. I'm happy. >.>

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 12, 2023

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Snowy posted:

Thanks, it took talking to a few people and being slightly nudgy but it worked. They offered $15 after w while and asked if that was ok, I said it’s better than nothing but since the phone buying process had nothing to do with Verizon and my service wasn’t upgraded in any way the charge is completely unfair in the first place. I was nice about it, and eventually that worked.

Myself and P2 are on the iUP, where yes, the ritualistic fee dance has to be done each year. At least for the last 2-3 years, I've been able to get 1 out of 2 waived. Agreed, it's BS though.

Also, congrats Duckman! Thanks for all of your help, both to me and everyone in the thread.

Specific moment, you steered me from leaving 5G Get More where I'd be basically be paying more money for the same or less on one of the new plans.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 25, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EconOutlines posted:

Myself and P2 are on the iUP, where yes, the ritualistic fee dance has to be done each year. At least for the last 2-3 years, I've been able to get 1 out of 2 waived. Agreed, it's BS though.

Yeah, it sucks but you have to be polite but persistent on asking.

If ordering through VZ sales directly, they’ve been pretty lenient on waiving fees, although mileage varies on the supervisor and who knows what it’ll look like when it’s Jan 1st.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, it sucks but you have to be polite but persistent on asking.

If ordering through VZ sales directly, they’ve been pretty lenient on waiving fees, although mileage varies on the supervisor and who knows what it’ll look like when it’s Jan 1st.

I should post my entire thought process vs editing later on.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Android thread, but, here we go.

I have a Motorola Edge Plus 5g UW on a Verizon plan.
My house is a deadzone.

For awhile, I had the phone set to use WiFi when the mobile network wasn't available, which is pretty much anytime anywhere inside my house, and that worked fine.

The other day, I upgraded my router to a Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 (the old one was also a Netgear, but I can't remember anything except that it was on Docsys 3.0 and capped out around 500mpbs)
Ever since I upgraded, my phone will not let me make calls or do any of the mobile stuff over wifi like it used to. I've tried every troubleshooting thing I could find online, which basically amounted to "Reset your network settings, disconnect/reconnect the wifi, reboot the phone"
Still nothing. Anytime I try to make a call, it says the mobile network is not available and I need to connect to a wifi network, despite the fact that I'm already connected to it.

I contacted Verizon tech support, and after trying the same troubleshooting steps, they said the issue must be on my ISP's end.
When I contacted my ISP about it, they said that made no sense and certainly wasn't a them problem.

Is there something else I can try? Or barring that, any recommendations on a cellphone booster?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Android thread, but, here we go.

My house is a deadzone.

For awhile, I had the phone set to use WiFi when the mobile network wasn't available, which is pretty much anytime anywhere inside my house, and that worked fine.

The other day, I upgraded my router to a Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 (the old one was also a Netgear, but I can't remember anything except that it was on Docsys 3.0 and capped out around 500mpbs)
Ever since I upgraded, my phone will not let me make calls or do any of the mobile stuff over wifi like it used to. I've tried every troubleshooting thing I could find online, which basically amounted to "Reset your network settings, disconnect/reconnect the wifi, reboot the phone"
Still nothing. Anytime I try to make a call, it says the mobile network is not available and I need to connect to a wifi network, despite the fact that I'm already connected to it.

I contacted Verizon tech support, and after trying the same troubleshooting steps, they said the issue must be on my ISP's end.
When I contacted my ISP about it, they said that made no sense and certainly wasn't a them problem.

Is there something else I can try? Or barring that, any recommendations on a cellphone booster?

Yeah that sucks but not sure.

The Verizon “signal booster” retails for $250. It plugs into your home internet and creates a micro cell in the house. Works fine, just expensive.

I’m a bit cynical of Motorola phones, so I would recommend having a friend on Verizon test their non Motorola phone.

Wish I had a better answer.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

the_steve posted:

My house is a deadzone.

This is 3 years old at this point, but my assumption is this is the problem:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Gateways/CAX-80-WIFI-calling-issues/m-p/2031537

It looks like the issue is on the the modem side of the device, not the router/AP side, and afaik ISPs handle firmware updates to the modem side of it while Netgear would handle the updates to router/AP side.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Thanks. I shot Netgear a message about the ipsec alg thing, so if that doesn't work, I'll splurge on the Verizon booster that Duckman mentioned.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
Was hoping for some advice before I try to straighten this out... Ahead of the holidays we went into an official Verizon store to get a phone for one of our kids and get two watches for other kids. The sales person basically just lied to us to get us to transfer from prepaid accounts to a contract plan saying the monthly cost would be the same. It's over $100 more and we lost our prepaid loyalty discounts if we go back.

We were told we would get one of the watches for free and we didn't. We were told they would waive the activation fees and they weren't (have already been in once about this). The taxes and fees are like four times what they are on a prepaid plan. We went back in and were told that the manager does the discounts at the end of the day and two days later nothing.

Is it better to go through the corporate help system or go back to the store to try and get this fixed? I am pretty mad and honestly considering switching providers and have been with Verizon forever.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cascadia Pirate posted:

Was hoping for some advice before I try to straighten this out... Ahead of the holidays we went into an official Verizon store to get a phone for one of our kids and get two watches for other kids. The sales person basically just lied to us to get us to transfer from prepaid accounts to a contract plan saying the monthly cost would be the same. It's over $100 more and we lost our prepaid loyalty discounts if we go back.

We were told we would get one of the watches for free and we didn't. We were told they would waive the activation fees and they weren't (have already been in once about this). The taxes and fees are like four times what they are on a prepaid plan. We went back in and were told that the manager does the discounts at the end of the day and two days later nothing.

Is it better to go through the corporate help system or go back to the store to try and get this fixed? I am pretty mad and honestly considering switching providers and have been with Verizon forever.

You can reply here or PM me.

What was your prepaid plan?

What postpaid plan did they put you on?

What plan were you wanting to be (unlimited , not unlimited , premium data, etc?) ?

Are you in any of these categories: military, teacher, nurse or first responder ?

Which phone and watch(es) did you get?

The act fees one way or the other someone will waive. The watch Se was free on a postpaid plan with purchase of phone, so if it was that one of them would be free.

Tax and fees is tough, it def would be more on postpaid. That said, $100 total more sounds way more than I would expect, so I don’t mind checking the numbers.

Going back to prepaid there will be no way that I am aware of to get those pricings back.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Duckman is the go-to here for this, but also curious if maybe the free watch is via bill credits and cycles were just off and the first bill credit hasn't hit the account yet? Have no idea about the rest of it though.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

You can reply here or PM me.

What was your prepaid plan?

What postpaid plan did they put you on?

What plan were you wanting to be (unlimited , not unlimited , premium data, etc?) ?

Are you in any of these categories: military, teacher, nurse or first responder ?

Which phone and watch(es) did you get?

The act fees one way or the other someone will waive. The watch Se was free on a postpaid plan with purchase of phone, so if it was that one of them would be free.

Tax and fees is tough, it def would be more on postpaid. That said, $100 total more sounds way more than I would expect, so I don’t mind checking the numbers.

Going back to prepaid there will be no way that I am aware of to get those pricings back.

We had two 15 gb plans and two $10 post paid watch accounts. This is plenty of data for us.

We ended up with 3 unlimited phone plans and three watch plans. Total for the first month is $414 which includes the activation fees.

We got an iPhone 14 and an apple watch.

Work does not qualify for a discount.

My main frustration is the stores are staffed only by salespeople and they specifically look at our account and said they could upgrade us and it wouldn't cost any more than we were paying now. They also lied to us twice about waving the fees and about the free watch applying to a less expensive plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

Duckman is the go-to here for this,

Goddamn right I am (joking).

Cascadia Pirate posted:

We had two 15 gb plans and two $10 post paid watch accounts. This is plenty of data for us.

We ended up with 3 unlimited phone plans and three watch plans. Total for the first month is $414 which includes the activation fees.

We got an iPhone 14 and an apple watch.

Work does not qualify for a discount.

My main frustration is the stores are staffed only by salespeople and they specifically look at our account and said they could upgrade us and it wouldn't cost any more than we were paying now. They also lied to us twice about waving the fees and about the free watch applying to a less expensive plan.

Ok, so there’s both a lot to unpack here, but also we can keep this pretty simple.

To address the store stuff: i can’t speak for individual stores. Obviously something got hosed up, I would hope it was either good intentions gone wrong, or (worse) they didn’t know what they were doing, or (even worse) they were too aggressive on pricing. Sorry to hear it, end of the day, the transaction happened so I’ll try and focus on how you can fix it.

I don’t work in stores anymore, but I talk to managers, etc, and I will say they’ve been actually given a budget to waive fees (in the past they couldn’t), so I believe that they actually did mean they could waive the fees. Going prepaid to postpaid actually should waive those fees automatically, so it was really only a phone act fee and 2 watch fees I guess. Long story short, one way or the other either the store or customer care will waive that for you.

Good news: the 15GB prepaid plan is still there. It’s technically newer, the only difference is it requires auto pay to get the monthly discount of $10 a line. Whether or not you are comfortable with auto pay (I personally dislike it but what can you do) that’s how it works.

So I know watches didn’t work on prepaid, but I don’t know why you had two watches on postpaid unless they were standalone kids watches. I’ll go with that assumption for now.

Plan comparison:
Prepaid phones: $35 * 3 = $105 before taxes.

There are taxes on prepaid, but it varies a lot and yes is usually lower than postpaid. So whatever you were paying , just add one more phone lines worth.

Phone: iPhone 14 is $700ish outright , you’ll have to buy the phone out if you go back to prepaid.

Watches: $10 and $10 for the lines, before tax and fees. Note: a watch discount will also go away if you go to prepaid, the discount was with phone + watch purchase on postpaid plan.

The other poster is correct, all postpaid discounts are over 3 years (36 months) for a discount.

Ok , so I don’t know what postpaid plan they did, but there’s only 2 logical ones:

Unlimited welcome: $40 * 3 = $120

Unlimited Plus: $55 * 3 = $165

I would hope they put you on welcome. You could move it to that anyway. And yes that is before tax and fees being $6-7 a line. Prepaid tax and fees are like, $2-5 a line? It really varies, some states it’s close some it is not.

For the postpaid plan: what you want to check for is, did you setup the auto pay discount, and did it take effect? The biggest thing that inflates first bills are:
-autopay discount misses first bill, and sometimes you get billed 1.5-2 months, so it’s like a double whammy
-Act fees
-promos can take a month to show up

So really, the question is what your actual bill *would* be once the dust settles, and then just keep it simple: would you want to keep your phones on postpaid to get the discounted phone and watch, or do you want to go back to prepaid?

If you post more details I certainly can answer. I don’t quite understand why you had the watches on postpaid unless they were kids watches.

Anyway, here are 2 useful numbers for you:
Customer care: (800) 392-0717

Sales: 800-256-4646

Note: sales is the only department that can move you back to prepaid, last I checked the store can’t do it. You would pay 1 month prepaid up front and postpaid would auto credit whatever days paid in Advance a bill cycle / month later.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yo Duckman,

What's the current trade-in promo for iPhones? I see on the VZW site up to 830 off, which would be a 'free' base iPhone 15. But it also looks like the trade-in for the iPhone 8 (base) would be $415?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yo Duckman,

What's the current trade-in promo for iPhones? I see on the VZW site up to 830 off, which would be a 'free' base iPhone 15. But it also looks like the trade-in for the iPhone 8 (base) would be $415?

When upgrading it’s $415 yeah.

If a new line it’ll go up to $830

Both require premium plan.

Sometimes there are retention upgrades, although I donno if it would bump an 8 up to $800ish. Sales department where I used to work can see if there is a retention upgrade. Direct number (800) 256-4646

Let me know what questions you got on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Anything for the 14s? It's for my BIL so he just needs something that's not an 8, heh.