Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Am I understanding the Verizon deal correctly that, as a current Verizon customer, I can trade in my original Pixel and get $400 off a Pixel 5, in effect getting it for $300 new (prorated over the course of a two-year contract)?

I'm on the 2 GB plan, though, which I think might disqualify me? It looks like there's some fine print suggesting that you have to get certain monthly plans (which I think are way more expensive) in order to qualify for the trade-in.

Also, I have some text messages on my phone from a loved one who passed a few years ago. I really, really don't want to lose those and would love for them to transfer over to my new phone (along with my contacts and other data, I guess). If I go in-store to do this, can they do that transfer? Or can they not transfer text messages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Duckman2008 posted:

Few things :

-sorry for your loss 😔

-I highly recommend screen shotting those text messages so they at least save to google photos.

Thank you, and that is such a good idea. I'll do that right now.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

DrDork posted:

I think Verizon's site was just making GBS threads itself last night. I couldn't get past its "do you want to change your plan to 5g?" question because it just errored out every time.

That said, I think for the $400 trade in you do need to be on one of their "current" plan offerings, so if you haven't changed your plan in the last year or so you may need to do so to qualify. It should let you change your plan as part of buying the phone, so you can check that all out without actually making any changes to your account.

I tried to go through the steps just to figure out what this process looked like, and I got all the way to the screen where I would be clicking the "Complete purchase" button and it still showed my 24 monthly payments as being at $29.16. I can't seem to get the flat $350 discount to trigger. I think that that may need to be a new line in order to qualify?

Also, even though their deals page said that I could trade in my original Pixel for $400, the trade-in page while actually trying to do the purchase says that "This device can't be traded in and is ineligible for the promo due to its condition." even though I selected the "Good condition" option. That would kind of be a wash anyway because the cost of moving from my current 2 GB plan ($55) to the cheapest unlimited plan ($70) is $360 over the span of two years, but I guess that's not an option anyway.

gently caress me, I guess.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, your plan is now grandfathered and you won’t find a cheaper plan. If you aren’t going over 2GB keep this plan.

I have this same plan (Small 2 GB). My total bill is $60/mo, with the data being $35, my phone line being $20, and $5 in fees and taxes.

Can I upgrade my phone without losing the plan? Either way, when the Verizon site says the Start Unlimited plan is $70, is that just for data or is that data + phone line? In other words, assuming the taxes/fees are the same $5, would my new bill be $75 or $95?

edit: Thanks!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 16, 2021

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

If Verizon doesn't do preorders and I end up buying a Pixel 6 directly from Google, will I be able to go to Verizon and have my current plan switched over to the new phone? My current plan is the "The new Verizon Plan Small 2 GB" for $55/mo, which I know they don't offer anymore.

If I do need to switch, it looks like the current options are:

- 5 GB plan for $65/mo
- 10 GB plan for $75/mo
- Start Unlimited for $80/mo
- Play More Unlimited for $90/mo

I'm not sure whether those prices include the paper-free billing + auto-pay discount.

Also, if I wait until the holidays, are there decent odds of an upgrade deal if I do change to an unlimited plan (even if my current phone is worthless as a trade-in to them)? I know there are no guarantees, but maybe there's a pattern that would suggest what's more likely.

Thank you!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

You can always keep your plan. If you get the phone from Google, it’s just a SIM swap, which doesn’t change the plan at all.

You’re right on the new plans, subtract $10 from each of you do autopay with a checking account.

No idea if the $800 trade in for upgrades is coming back this year (rip). Tbh, they didn’t offer more than like, a $400 trade the past two holiday seasons , which was why people were rushing to take the recent promo (obviously you couldn’t with the phone not being out).

We’ll see what pops up for Black Friday.

You rock, thank you. So, at least based on the past few years, there's probably going to be some level of relevant deal available if I'm willing to switch to an unlimited plan. I have been butting up against the 2 GB limit fairly frequently this past year, so I'm open to that.

One more follow-up: if I do preorder through Verizon and/or change my plan, is there any way I can do that through you so that you get the commission? You provide a wonderful service here.

edit: I guess that even if I didn't upgrade my phone, I should still move to the 5 GB plan since it literally costs the same with the discounts as my 2 GB plan.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 16, 2021

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

What’s your current phone? I should say trade ins depend on the model. I’ve been off a few days (thank god) so I don’t know if the Pixel 6 hit the promos or not yet.

And yeah, you can always PM and I literally call you via the 800 number (I’m in the official sales department). And thanks, I try and do what I can !

Oh nice, that's easy.

My current phone is the original Pixel. I poked around last year (or two years ago?) on Verizon's trade-in deals because I was considering the new Pixel at that time, but they weren't interested, lol. My recollection is that the upgrade deals last year were a mixture of (1) a really amazing deal if you have a desirable phone to trade-in and you're willing to do a certain type of plan and (2) an OK deal if you're willing to switch to an unlimited plan.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I'm a dummy and can't figure out whether my phone is unlocked. I've got a paid-off Pixel 6 Pro from 2021; is there a way to figure this out from the Verizon website?

Thinking about making a swap from Xfinity internet to AT&T fiber, and they offer a discount if you bundle in phone service too.

I've got Verizon's Welcome Unlimited plan at the moment and that's $71/mo, and I think the comparable AT&T Value Plus VL plan would be about $15 cheaper with taxes/fees factored in, so I'd be getting a discount on both services with similar phone and better internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Thank you, Duckman! Greatly appreciate the help.