Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Do they have decent Black Friday deals? Missed out on the BOGO Note 9, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Thinking of switching to Verizon, but looking at the prepaid options because I really don't use unlimited. At the most, we might use 5GB on my daughter's phone, and I use 2-3GB with my wife using 1-2GB. Hope you don't mind answering a couple of Qs.

1. Is the current 4 lines /$100 a great deal for them or pretty similar to previous options?

2. Does prepaid ever do deals with phones?

3. While I get that postpaid gets the best service, what about their prepaid service? Specifically, I want to ensure that the coverage you would get with postpaid in the boons is the same as you would get with prepaid. I'm not concerned with download speed, I just want my phones to work around my daughter's school where T-Mobile has a huge dead zone currently.

4. I use a T-Mobile booster in my house to get signal. Does Verizon offer the same or the ability to use wi-fi calling?

Thanks!
Keith

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Verizon does have wifi calling for supported devices.

Duckman2008 posted:

1. The 4 lines thing is 3GB per line. So it depends on whether that works for you.

2. Very rarely, and usually the deals suck when they do.

3. Coverage should be the same. The customer service department is a bigger difference

4. Verizon offers boosters but not for prepaid. WiFi calling I believe works on prepaid.

Thank you both. As for #1, I only need three phones at the moment and could work with 3GB, I would just need to put the fourth SIM in a closet somewhere until my son needs a phone, then he could have a free line.

What's the cheapest way to try the prepaid service without giving up my current numbers? Buy a cheap burner-type phone and pay for one month to test the coverage?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

Is your current phone compatible with Verizon ? You could buy a month service with a number, turn on call forwarding to that number , pop SIM in phone.

Probably the best idea, thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

No idea, but the Note 9 is on sale for $200 today and tomorrow, so if you want one, I would decide soon.

$200 off or $200 exactly?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kensei posted:

So uh, my Pixel 4XL did a strange thing where it showed -1% battery. I restarted it and now it will not go above 50% battery even if I charge it wirelessly for an extended period or time or plugged in. Guessing I need to take it in and have someone look at it?

No battery optimizing apps or any of that installed.

Ugh, sorry Kensei, sounds like the battery shenanigans we had on the wife’s Nexus 5 and my 6P. Hope you have a better outcome than we did.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Duckman, if I have the $40 military discount on my account but want to switch from Go Unlimited on three lines to Start on 2 lines and Play More on the third, how do I ensure that the discount doesn’t get removed or changed?

The only reason I ask is because I had another $10 military discount that went away when I tried to add my state employee discount, not knowing that it would wipe that out. Then even after reversing that and six months of trying they never could restore that discount. It’s made me gun shy of making any changes whatsoever.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Silly Burrito posted:

Duckman, if I have the $40 military discount on my account but want to switch from Go Unlimited on three lines to Start on 2 lines and Play More on the third, how do I ensure that the discount doesn’t get removed or changed?

The only reason I ask is because I had another $10 military discount that went away when I tried to add my state employee discount, not knowing that it would wipe that out. Then even after reversing that and six months of trying they never could restore that discount. It’s made me gun shy of making any changes whatsoever.

Duckman2008 posted:

The $40 off is a grandfathered military discount code. So that is account level, not plan level, and doesn’t go away with plan changes (it would go away if you filed for a different work discount though yeah). It *should* stick moving to the start and play more plans. If you want to be sure (I don’t blame you), call care and they can confirm it over the phone before switching it.

Want to follow up on this post from a few months ago. I never did make the switch, but I'm thinking about doing it now. However, when I just called, they told me that if I switched to 1 Play More and 2 Start Unlimiteds, my military discount would go down from $40 to $25. She said it has been like that for at least a month. Would you know if that's a new change, or a CSR that had incorrect information? I don't want to make the switch if it drops my discount down $15, that would defeat the purpose of me doing so. Thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

I thought it still gave you the $40, but it could have changed. I can always check for you if you want to PM me your number (give a few days turn around time).

Thanks! Sent you a PM, appreciate it as always.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Not that this thread didn't know already, but Duckman is the man! He helped me out and cut through a lot of the misinformation that I'd seen other places. Thank you so much for your help, Duckman!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I had the free Disney+ for a year, but it expired, so I went ahead and subscribed to the Disney+ bundle on my own. But then Duckman helped me out, and I went to a plan that has the bundle free. So I cancelled my own Disney+ bundle and tried to subscribe to it using the same email account.

For some reason, Disney does not see my account as active. I've spent time with both Verizon and Disney CSRs ever since Thursday trying to figure it out. I called yesterday to Verizon, they transferred me to Disney where that rep said that my reference number was invalid. So back to Verizon where I was told to put in a ticket with IT with their tech support. So I did that yesterday, and the guy said it might take 7-10 days before they get back to us.

I've removed and readded that bundle to my account multiple times through the app, different PCs and different browsers, but that reference number is the same. So I'm hoping that whoever is in the Verizon IT does their reconfiguration this week.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

Burrito: For the Disney reconfiguring , not sure why it’s giving an issue. Maybe when the bill date cycles over? All I can think of, although I made it same day so it shouldn’t matter.

The multiple Disney CSRs I spoke with have said that they have seen this issue before. Only the one on Saturday suggested the reference number trick, so hopefully that works.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
For you Playstation gamers, check out the myVerizon app or log into your account. It looks like they're giving away three free months of PS Plus and PS Now.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

If you upgraded a phone on a premium unlimited plan. 1 year if it was new service.

That may be why then. Best Buy had/has the Note 20 Ultra for $849, and then gave me $300 for my XR. Couldn't really pass that up as no other deals were close on BF.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Can you get the upgrade if you're on the Start Unlimited plan, or will they make you go to Play More or above?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

Play more or above.

Edit: oh I saw your PM, PMed back.

Thanks, PM sent back. Appreciate the help!

Edit: Duckman hooked up both me and my wife. This is a drat good promo. Her XR was worth a free iPhone 13, no sense not to trade up for that for the cost of sales tax and activation fees. And Duckman explained everything to us fully. Thanks so much!

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 18, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
People like good deals when they see them!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
In the MicroCenter parking lot in Houston, I got my first ever taste of 5Guw today. I tested it on fast.com and speedtest.net and got 930Mbps and then 1.6Gbps download speeds.

Never came close to that at home, much less with my phone.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
How is the battery life on the iPhone 12 mini for you all on Verizon? Still haven’t decided if I want to get my other two kids phones for Christmas (and if I do, I’m shooting you a PM Duckman), but Verizon has a deal for them free with new lines. I figure my kids would just be thrilled to have an iPhone but don’t want to invite problems if they exist.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

12 Mini has reviews of smaller battery life. Great otherwise, and I don’t think it’s like , not usable, but def something they would likely just get in the habit of charging like, at some point during the day.

Interested in the regular iPhone 12? If so, PM me, tomorrow (cyber Monday) may be a good day to get the regular iPhone 12.

Possibly so, PM sent, thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
As always, Duckman hooked us up, and we now have two new phones and lines for the kids. What have I done....... ;)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I live out in the boons. Only one bar of LTE for me even still today. Thank goodness for Wi-Fi calling.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Josh Lyman posted:

I got an email saying the Verizon Up program is ending. I'll miss my monthly $3 Amazon gift cards :(

Not even an Amazon card this month.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Yeah, I’m thinking that if they do the “free” iPhone total upgrade in September/October again, I’ll be calling Duckman to trade in the iPhone 13s we got two years ago.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Stealing from Slickdeals, but if you have Verizon, you may be eligible for a free year of Netflix premium with a bundle of something else. Since I already had Netflix, this would pay for itself in six months.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16506664-netflix-premium-1-year-free-verizon-up-members-only-bundle-required-5-83-mo-minimum#comments

Calm and Netflix Premium $69.99/yr
STARZ and Netflix Premium $74.99/yr
AMC+ and Netflix Premium $83.88/yr
Super Duolingo and Netflix Premium $83.99/yr
Paramount+ Premium and Netflix Premium $99.99/yr
Peloton App and Netflix Premium $129.99/yr

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

OldSenileGuy posted:

$70 for a year of Netflix Premium is a good deal, and...I'd probably use the Calm app once and then forget about it.

I've still got half a month left on my current Netflix billing cycle - any idea if this promo will still be running in 2 weeks?

I had just paid my Netflix monthly bill. I asked the CSR chat and they refunded me the bill as a one time courtesy. Can’t hurt to ask.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

And fyi for people here, I’ll have a better grasp again in about 2-3 weeks when I have my teams taking calls, and onward from there.

Yes, I am training people to take sales calls. Everyone here should be scared of the outcome.

Duckmanager2008

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The main gotcha I see is that the iPhone 12 only has 64GB of storage which is really tiny, and the iPhone 13 will cost you $180 at $5x36 payments.

I would like to upgrade my daughter’s iPhone 8 for cheap, but if I have to lock in a 36 month upgrade, I want a newer phone with more storage for “free”. I think the last upgrade spoiled me.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just got an email that my phone bill is going up $3 per line because we’re on the old plan (we have 5 lines). This is after they just added a $2 per line bogus fee a couple of months back. I’m honestly thinking of switching back to T-Mobile, maybe when the new iPhones come out.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m back on the phones in mid august. I want me to check for you ?

Thanks, and you’re switching back??? Hope all is well. From what I’ve read, you can’t switch to the newer plans without losing your iPhone promo. I only have four payments left but I definitely don’t want that to hit early if I can avoid it.

I found that T-Mobile actually allows you to download an e-Sim to test their network free for 90 days, so I’m trying that just to see how well they work in comparison.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I did speak to someone who said that moving to the unlimited plus plan would allow me to keep my promos, but the military discount on our account would likely drop from $40 to $20.

Damned if you do either way.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Danhenge posted:

I mean, the actual discount matters a lot less than your total bill at the end.

This is the truth, plus you have to factor in the other perks like the Disney bundle and Apple Arcade that are included.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

My coach role was a temp role, so my time is ending in it. Rip but it’ll be fine.

Tbh, I haven’t sold in 6 months so I’ll have to look up all these questions lol. But I’ll def be able to help in mid august or later.

I’m on vacation for the next week, so I don’t have an answer today, but I figure a week or so won’t hurt waiting wise.

Not sure about the military, but I’ll be able to tell you for sure pretty quickly whenever I call you.

No worries, enjoy your vacation. You’ve earned it!!!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

Putting this as a separate post.

*stretches arms*

Ok , so I am officially (well as of Monday) back in a customer facing role. This means that anyone that needs help ordering stuff, that is what I do again.

As always, I base any assistance I do on being transparent. I give advice here whether you order from me or not, and I don’t Bullshit. Anything I help with I’ll of course help maximize any promos, pricings, and discounts. I cannot offer like, random credits or anything outside of the norm.

So post away questions, or PM. If you need to order whatever , PM and I reach out and set up a time to follow up (I usually work Mon-Fri).

Last year digital referrals were not working, I think? That is now fixed. But that said, I do recommend having me call to ensure no issues, but everyone has their own preferences , so digital referrals are also appreciated (and again I help regardless of whether you do anything through me).

I know I’m not the only one in this thread but if you’re thinking of doing anything through Verizon, I highly highly highly recommend Duckman. He helped us out quickly and got us a great deal last time.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Jaxyon posted:

So all the new phones have chucked expandable memory and physical sim cards.

That sucks.

How do you do international poo poo? Suck it up and pay verizon?

Use international e-SIM cards?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

C-Euro posted:

Does Verizon sell anything that you can use to improve cell signal in your home? My wife works out of our basement and has been complaining about a lack of reception down there lately, and I'd rather buy some sort of signal booster (if one exists) than haul her entire office up to our spare bedroom.

Are you using Wi-Fi calling? Can you bring another wired router down there?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Once again singing the praises of Duckman, he helped save us about $30 on our Verizon monthly bill in about five minutes. Thanks!!!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Congrats Duckman! Thanks for all that you’ve done for us and this thread!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I’m (obviously) not a fan of it.

They’ve had multiple so I can’t even keep track. I think 6-8 months ago.

This is the first one affect “premium” plans, so it’s gonna be a lot of people and probably a lot of posters here. If you are on any play more, do more or get more you are impacted.

The Plus plans usually are around the same price, they just won’t include free Disney plus, that’s gonna be the kicker.

Yep, got the email. Looks like the Unlimited Welcome plans aren't being hit, at least I don't see that on mine. I do see a notice that my 5G Play More is going up by $4.

I thought all of the plans were going up, so I went ahead and got my kids the "free" iPhone 15 since I already had three other three year phone plans. Now we have one iPhone 14 and four iPhone 15s for three years. My oldest will be in college then, I wonder how long people keep their kids on the phone plan once they go to college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

I donno if you want to hear this or not, but I’ve seen kids stay on parents plans into their 30s and 40s lol. Although usually kids move off in mid to late 20s, the prompt is usually significant other / getting married. But like, my very good friend, him and his wife are both on his in laws plan because it’s just cheaper for 4 lines shared than 2 and 2 lines shared.

:ohdear:

But I do get it. If it’s cheaper all around, makes sense.