Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Welcome to the Verizon Megathread on Something Awful.

Update: I have to ability now to either send you a referral code, or directly call people who need help making whatever purchase with Verizon. Please post or PM , let me know what you need, and I can help you get it figured out.

You are not required to take a referral code or have me call you, I will absolutely help regardless, but I do have commission goals , so referral links and such do help me and are always appreciated ‘

Why Verizon over the others:

-Verizon's slogan is always something around better network. Verizon owns the most towers, has them on lower frequencies (better coverage), and has the farthest spread across the country.
-The whole point is that whether you are in New York City NY, or in Fargo ND, Verizon has towers and has higher tower capacity than the others.
-Verizon shoots to have more capacity at both big events (think sporting)
-Verizon is the last network standing or to go down during a natural disaster. For example, during Hurricane Sandy Verizon was the only network functioning for periods of time.
-As of now, customer service wise its really easy to get a Verizon service rep on the phone

So basically, why Verizon comes down to always having coverage, coverage, coverage.

For reference: old thread link:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412884

Plan update May 2023: I haven’t updated the OP in quite a bit, but here’s a helpful link on the new plans:

Dancing Peasant posted:

Shamelessly stolen from the Verizon subreddit:

Plans: Verizon has unlimited plans and plans with data caps: I am listing current plans. Questions on older plans please post them.

Unlimited: Fancy chart to be posted soon

We are now on Verizon Mix and Match 3.0 !

Base Unlimited plan is Start Unlimited : you get a $10 discount if you do autopay with a checking account (not a credit card). Prices below include autopay discount, it goes up $10 PER LINE if you don’t do autopay (so obviously I highly recommend it).

1 line: $70 a month
2 lines: $60 * 2 = $120 a month
3 lines: $45 * 3 = $135
4 lines: $35 * 4 = $140
5 lines: $30 + 5 = $150
6 or more: add $30 per line, max is 10 lines

Play More and Do More are the premium data plans, they are $10 more per line. Both get premium data, 15GB hotspot. Play More gives you the Disney+ bundle, Do More gets you 50% off the data line of a tablet , hotspot or watch line.

Work discounts: work discounts have been replaced with the Auto Pay discount. There are 4 exceptions, and they stack with the autopay discount:

-Military: both active and retired
VZW.com/military

-First Responder: Police, Fire Fighter and EMS.
VZW.com/firstresponders

Teacher: Anyone with a teaching certificate
VZW.com/teachers

Nurse: Nurses only, at this time Doctors do not qualify
VZW.com/nurses

To qualify: besides employment , the person has to be listed as either account owner (main person) or account manager.

Example: Joe has 4 lines, including his dad Howard, who is retired military. As long as Joe lists Howard as an account manager , he can then submit for the discount.

Discount:
$10 off one line
$20 off 2 or more

Student discount: most people are not aware, but there is a student discount. Here are the terms

-Must be account owner or account manager (like the others)
-most public and private colleges qualify
-Max of 2 lines (emphasis here)
-$10 off 1 , $20 off 2 lines
-expired in 4 years
-VZW.com/students

5GB and 10GB plans: to be updated.

I'm a scrub who has a basic phone: Basic phones can get a $30 a month single phone plan, unlimited call, text and 500MB of data. No sharing, no smartphones allowed. Note if you have 4 lines on one of the unlimited lines, you can do this as line 5 or more on unlimited as well.

PREPAID to be updated

Prepaid just means an account not attached to your credit:
-You pay every 30 days. if you don't pay, the account goes on hold for one month, then expires (number goes away)
-All plans do get Congestion managed
-SD Video
-3G hotspot speeds on unlimited
-No Device Payment. must bring own phone or buy outright
-No insurance options
-I will warn you now, customer care is not great, and definitely not US based.

Extra Stuff:

I Manhandle and Break All my Phones, How does Insurance Work?

Verizon Offers 3 main insurance:
-Wireless Phone Protection: Insurance on phone, no Extended Warranty: $7 monthly
-Total Equipment Protection (TEC): Insurance plus Extended Warranty: $11 monthly
-Total Mobile Protection (TMP): Insurance plus Extended Warranty Plus Tech Support: $15 monthly

Deductibles:
-Extended Warranty: No Damage. $0
-Cracked screen: Certain markets get screen repairs for $30
-Lost/Stolen/anything else: $99, $149 or $199 depending on damage

Claims go through phoneclaim.com

I have to get to ___, what number do I call?

Here is a current list of useful numbers I have:

Customer Care: 800-922-0204 ; hit 0 to get to live rep
Verizon International: 800-711-8300
Verizon Port: 866-881-7165 ; also try vzw.com/port
Verizon Activate: 877-807-4646 ; call this to activate a phone you ordered
Verizon Fraud: 888-483-7200
Verizon Assumption of Liability: 888-832-4540

Verizon Retention / Loyalty / Cancelation: if you have issues care cannot resolve, call here.
Verizon Loyalty: 800-392-0717

Fios: I don't do anything directly with Fios, so I don’t have too much here

Rewards you’re paying your bill, please get the most of the free stuff:

Verizon Up: login to your app , hit Verizon Up. Two main options:
-Gift card: Verizon offers a $3-5 gift card , choice of like , 10 different companies. Personally, this is what I do every month. Free money
-Device Dollars: you can get $5 to later use towards purchase of a phone. You can have a max of $50 at a time. Not bad, I personally recommend the gift card because you can more immediately use what you are getting

Disney+ Bundle: the Play more and Get More plans (the current ones, not old ones) now include free Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ . All other unlimited plans you can get 6 months free.

-Discovery+ : unlimited plans get 6 months free of you are on a base unlimited plan, 12 months free of you are on a premium plan. You can then either start paying or cancel.

Apple Music: Get more unlimited includes free single Apple Music (not family), all other plans will give you 6 months free.

Privacy settings:
-Verizon actually makes it pretty easy: go to the VZ app, hit settings, and hit “manage privacy settings.”

FAQs:

[b]Q. Golly Gee Duckman, you really put work into this. How can we thank you?

A. I get paid for referrals. Certainly do not feel obligated, but if you are buying through Verizon's website, PM me, and i can send you a link with my code that gives me credit.

Q. I have ____ plan and want to know what to do?

A. Post here or PM me. Post Plan name, plan base price, and price per line. If anyone is in an older contract, that is really good to know.

Q. How do I transfer a number from my name to someone else's name on Verizon?

A. In Verizon speak, this is called an Assumption of Liability. To combine, merge, uncombined, whatever, call 888-832-4540. Both parties have to agree, and as always it requires credit check.

Q. What's the best way to get phone/price/plan

A. Ask me

Q. I am having ___ issue. where do I go to fix it?

A. Depending on what it is, either over the phone or a company store. I strongly recommend avoid "Authorize Retailers," which are franchise stores. If it says "Verizon by ___" on their sign, they're a dealer. They tend charge more, not know as much, and sometimes just lie to get a sale.

In general, its a very big company. So the key to remember is that usually any issue has to get solved by where it came from. If a store messed up or misquoted, Care will send you back to that store. If Care messed up, the store isn't going to an issue a credit for them. In my experience most bill credits will go through care unless its due to store fault.

Q. What is Verizon Up?

A. New rewards program. every $300ish you pay on your bill, you get a point. points redeem for stuff. Bear in mind, you have to opt in for targeted advertising to get Verizon Up.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Reserved

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Can I easily return an iPhone X if i cannot flip it locally for a sizable profit?

Yes. If unwrapped no restock fee, if still wrapped no restock fee. So in this case it sounds like you’re going to leave wrapped, so you’re fine. 14 days to return, I’m sure any company store will gladly take it since inventory will be super low.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

comper posted:

So I tried to activate my Pixel 2 (bought directly from Google Store) the official way through the VZW website tonight instead of just swapping the SIM card from my iPhone 8+ back and forth, and the only option for insurance was to decline protection. If I just swap SIMs, everything works fine and it just shows up as "Non-VZW Pixel" or something like that, but Total Equipment Care stays on the line that way.

I guess my question is, will Verizon/Asurion (I know it's Asurion actually providing the coverage) cover my Pixel 2 in the case I just swap SIMs but keep TEC on the line or will they deny it and say I circumvented the system by just swapping SIM cards? I wouldn't be upset if I ever had to get it replaced by a Verizon Pixel 2 model if need be. I just don't want to think I'm covered when I'm not, and I definitely don't want to pay the $9.00/mo for TEC if it won't actually help me if something were to happen. Do you know if that insurance is covering the line/user or the phone itself? Thanks.

No, TEC does not cover non Verizon bought phones. The google pixel from Google is different than say, buying a Pixel at Best Buy. It’s more akin to buying an unlocked iPhone, so Verizon and asurion won’t cover it. I would remove the insurance, no sense in paying for it if it doesn’t apply.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hdip posted:

My dads note 4 broke. Replace it with an iPhone 7? He’s not a power user or anything. Just phone, text, email.

Just PMed you. Only reason to get the Note 8 is if he must have a stylus. Otherwise, Droid Z2 force is on sale, iPhone 7 or 7+, or Pixel XL 1, would also be fine.

Just don’t get a Pixel 2 XL. I’m really hoping that doesn’t become a whole fiasco.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

Other than him not needing a flagship phone, why not? The 2 XL is a fantastic phone.

Screen looks blue and their are reports of sealer issues. I’ve already seen 3 returns.

So a little bit of an exaggeration, but I would be cautious about saying the Pixel 2XL is a great phone buy yet.

Reminder that it’s made by LG.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LordOfThePants posted:

Can you mix the plan type for unlimited plans on an account? Can my account have one Beyond Unlimited line and two regular unlimited lines?

Sadly no.

averox posted:

Hey Duckman I hope you can shed some light on this in regards to iPhone X orders.

So myself and other people who have ordered on Verizon's site for the iPhone X mostly opted to keep our original plan. Much more so if we're hanging on to the grandfathered unlimited data plans. After receiving confirmation emails people have noticed this:

https://imgur.com/a/AttLU (not my image)

More specifically near the bottom lines that reads

Now obviously people are trying to keep their unlimited. Is this some kind of mistake? Do I have to go and cancel my order and end up waiting a month? In ordering the phone there was only a "keep original plan" for our Nationwide xxx minutes plan and no "keep old data plan" option but it showed a list with 2GB through maybe 12GB of personal data under device protection. I hope this isn't the case.

Help me man!

Ugh that’s a weird one. You are supposed to be able to get phone on payment plan and keep that old old unlimited plan. I would advise being proactive, I would call customer care and confirm you aren’t losing your plan.

I haven’t seen anything saying that old unlimited can’t upgrade, but those plans are so rare I also don’t see them often anymore.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

averox posted:

Already cancelled my order. Someone on the customer service line just said to call in when I get my phone and they should straighten it out. Not sure if I trust them to not gently caress things up so I'll just wait for loving ever to get the phone from Apple. Waiting is one thing. Losing my old old UDP and trying to get it back is an uphill battle that I'll likely not win.

And I was buying it outright too so I don't even know why it's asking me about changing my plan.

Thanks for the help though Duckman

Yeah that makes no sense, but def get it from Apple then just in case.

FYI ship times from Verizon are in early December for all but 64GB white (which is 11/15). That’s from this morning, def subject to change.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Quick question. I have an iPad with Verizon through work. I also was just given a Lenovo Yoga laptop that has a spot for a sim card. Are the plans such that a tablet sim card would work in a PC? I know for some carriers you cannot use a mobile phone sim with a tablet and vice versa and wasn't sure if that was true in this situation.

Thanks!

Not sure, it used to be $10 more, I get that so seldom I don’t know. It’s more a question of just making sure your company is ok with it, because it’ll provision and show as a laptop In The system for sure.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rye Bread posted:

I have 2 X's coming Friday, but am unsure what to do insurance wise. Applecare would run $400. I heard that Verizon changed the insurance plans. Are they worth it at all? I definitely need coverage as I have an almost 3 year old that loves to grab phones, and a wife that constantly leaves hers within reach.

If you want insurance, Do the $9 TEC and cancel when you don’t want it. $199 deductible but covers lost or stolen as well.

Apple Care isn’t bad, and it’s cheaper for screen repairs, but it’s an expensive phone to lose.

It’s removable at anytime, so I guess 6-12 months?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Yeah I can’t say having a phone stolen or go missing is something that has happened since the iCloud stuff was rolled out in either organization I’ve worked for, which is anecdotal but across over 100 people.

I mean, cool I guess, but not seeing the value proposition for anyone except the guy who posts the thread and works for the company offering it.

Also, the number of accidental damage or general problems that required a trip to the Apple store are very, very frequent.

Hi, I said it was cool if it worked for him. It’s a $1,000+ device, so not bad for 6 months. That being said, for the record, I don’t personally get insurance.

Also, go gently caress yourself. Don’t post here when you next drop and break your phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Btw, iPhone X inventory will be there for stores. Stores around me are getting 20-40 give or take. It a lot, but I was expecting close to 0, so I’ll take it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Yeah, Verizon totally isn’t going to push their own third party insurance contracts, which bill monthly, and are sources of profit for the company.

http://m.sfgate.com/business/article/Asurion-cell-phone-insurer-reaping-profit-3246308.php

Compared to AppleCare, which doesn’t offer much if any of a kickback given the price is equal to buying from Apple directly.

All good. Sorry, OP, for implying that your motivations may not be 100% pure and unbiased.

I debated a few responses, but I’ll just leave it as I post here to help people where I can, and i don’t think really anything in my last few years of posting have shown I’m trying to shill for any of the carriers.

Edit: there are two good things about these stupid forums:
1. Keeps a somewhat realistic view for me on how regular people view carriers. So for the record, I’m sure I’m biased, but i try to keep it in check.
2. Here I can tell assholes to go gently caress themselves. Can’t do that at work.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 2, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

All good.

People who buy phones outright and don’t need insurance: cool and good

People who lose phones and want to protect themselves: cool and good

People who choose the option that works for them after considering all options: cool and good

Everyone ok, now?

Sounds good and reasonable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hey man, I’m just trying to stop the derail.

Let’s go back to what the next month or two will inevitably be: complaining about iPhone X inventory.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

comper posted:

Isn't stock universally better than expected? I remember thinking after reading several articles that if I didn't order right away that I could very well not get one well into next year but even now it still says ship by 12-1 and that's worst case scenario.

As always, I guess we shall see. Honestly, I thought my store would get, at most, 5-10, and we got 30+ for tomorrow, so who the hell knows.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there an end date on the Pixel 2 50%-off-with-trade deal? Last year there was a 50% off deal at Black Friday with no trade necessary, so I'm wondering if this is as good as it's going to get.

I didn’t look at the dates. I’ll check tomorrow, but likely it’ll be the Wednesday before Black Friday. We won’t know Verizon Black Friday deals until around then unless they leak.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Over There posted:

I just got verizon and it's slow as poo poo. Does the extra $10 a month for prioritization really help?

Honestly don't know, but I would say try it. Do you live in a city / densely populated area?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hmmxkrazee posted:

So the Verizon BF deals are out and they're pretty underwhelming.
http://www.verizon.com/about/news/get-50-google-pixel-2-samsung-galaxy-s8-moto-z2-force-and-more-black-friday-verizon

Was hoping for something better on the Pixel 2 but I can't do Unlimited since my family plan ends up being more expensive on that.
Guess I'll just pull the trigger on the "up to 50% off with trade-in" deal they have going on.
I'll be trading in a Galaxy S6 so for a Pixel 2 64GB it'll be ~$17 a month which ain't bad.

Yeah , the Black Friday promos would be a lot better if they didn’t require unlimited. Verizon drives me crazy when they do that. And the iPad and android tablet deals aren’t bad, but that doesn’t drive people in the door.

Like, no one is discounting iPhones, so I can live without a promo there, but plan requirements for the android phones just makes it difficult.

Btw, wild card: rumor is Verizon is getting a bunch of iPhone Xs in Wednesday and Friday. Certainly can vary by region.

Either way, Thank god I hit my base goals already.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clamiam45 posted:

I'm already an unlimited customer who was looking for a discounted pixel, so that's a no go right?

If you have unlimited you get the 50% off the Pixel 2,so actually you should be good. Not sure if it applies to the old school unlimited plan, but if you got one of the newer versions you are fine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clamiam45 posted:

I read it as though you have to sign up for unlimited.

Sorry, not “new to unlimited.” You just have to have unlimited.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clamiam45 posted:

Cool, I purchased a Pixel 2 XL yesterday, so I'm hoping they'll just give me the credit instead of making me return and re-purchase. Do you know how that works usually?

What Kitten Smoothie said. It should just be “exchange, price adjust” in the system and it usually processes it fine. It’s a Credit over 2 years, so it’s likely still that’s how it will show, lump sum is nice but not expected at this point.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

How do I not pay an activation fee?

I bought a Pixel 2 XL off Google and didn't have to do this. Just popped in my old SIM card and I was off and running.

I just bought a Pixel on sale for my wife from Verizon's Cyber Monday sale (it was "$10/mo" yesterday so it was hard to pass up considering her current phone is dying a painful death), but they nailed us with a $30 "activation fee" which was to "keep bringing [me] the best coverage." Pretty sure it's to cover the teenager's 10 minutes to set up your new phone in the store, but we can do that ourselves. I don't need a new drat SIM card.

There is no option when buying online from Verizon's site...and the tracking came and sure enough there was a 2nd line item for a SIM card.

Can I fight this ever, or am I perpetually screwed when buying phones directly from Verizon?

Whenever you buy w phone from Verizon there’s a $30 act fee. The reason is because they can. You can call care and ask them to waive it. Mileage will vary on whether they do or not.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

future ghost posted:

Got a notification for a phone update, which is always good to see. However the update also includes some mandatory security nightmare ad app called Appflash. Cool, so if I want the November security patches I have to also install literal spyware on my phone? gently caress you yet again Verizon.

How awful is this app and can I block permissions+disable it, or does it integrate permanently into the launcher?

Edit: it's still bullshit but at least it can be disabled under system apps.

Hats good to know it can be disabled, but def ridiculous.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Luchadork posted:

Thinking of doing the Pixel 2 24-month credit deal but I'm reading a lot of horror stories about Verizon "forgetting" to apply the credit and customers having to fight with support to get it applied each month. Anyone have experience with that and know if it's a common thing or just a vocal minority?

This was a big issue last year, the kinks are worked out at this point. $300 off is a good deal so I would go for it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rotaryfun posted:

I've been looking at switching from verizon to project fi for my phone service. I'm on a plan with my wife with verizon and I'm curious what happens if I leave the plan with my pixal and put it on project fi, what would that do to our bill?

We're currently paying 118 (final price) a month for 2 lines, both phones paid for, 6 gigs of shared data.

This is my guess on what your plan likely is:

$60 for 6GB (grandfathered plan)
$20 for line 1
$20 for line 2
= $100+ tax

Moving your line would only remove $20. However, call in afterwards and ask to be moved to the 5GB single plan to save another $20. Single plan is

$40 for 5GB. $5 off with autopay
$20 for 1 line
= $60 (or $55 with autopay).

Btw, check and see if you get a work discount , both your current and the single line plan can get a Work discount.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rotaryfun posted:

Thanks for taking a second to look at that for me.

I looked at my bill to match up with what you're guessing. I do get a 15% employee discount on my account so maybe it's not worth moving?

MORE Everything Unlimited Talk, Text & 6GB ($70 before 15% Emp Discount) - $59.50
Line 1 - $24.00
Line 2 - $26.00
Surcharges - $4.28
Taxes and government fees - $4.40
Total - $118.18

Yeah that looks correct. Are there any extra charges on the lines? That plan you have should be $15 per line before tax. Your work discount would apply to that 5GB plan if you do switch.

How much is Fi, like $20-30 if you use 2-3GB? if so, you’re looking st say, that for you, $50ish for the other person. Before taxes (I always compare before tax). Currently you’re at $90+ tax. So it’s close. Factor in coverage difference of T-Mobile and Sprint (although T-Mobile has gotten better for sure) in your area as well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

averox posted:

Hey Duckman what's your opinion on the February Unlimited plan? My grandfathered unlimited data plan's contract has finally lapsed and Verizon took no time in putting the +$20 fee on. I'm hearing that this Feb UDP plan is unlimited calls, texts, 10GB hotspot 4G, and 22GB 4G or something before you're subject to slower speeds and prioritization (or unless there's heavy congestion everyone gets hit with prioritization) or something like that.

Paying about $108 a month now for a 450 minutes, grandfathered UDP, 1,000 texts plan.

The February unlimited plan was great, but it’s gone gone gone. Unless you have it already, the equivalent if Beyond Unlimited which is sadly just a little bit more.

Beyond isn’t that much more for one line though, it’s only a big chunk more once you get to 2+ lines. That being said, your plan is supposedly not capped st all, vs 22GB on beyond unlimited. The question is probably whether you want tethering or not.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

I'd seen some people mentioning on Reddit that they were having success getting put onto the February unlimited plan even now, if (and only if) they are moving off of the grandfathered plan.

That would be via the retention department, because in store, and likely via standard customer care, there is no way. But if you call threatening to cancel and get sent to cancellations, they probably do have more options.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Will I see any of you fine people outside my store tomorrow?

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/net-neutrality-protests-start-thursday-how-to-find-one-near-you/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

So, did you see anyone protest?

The protests aren’t until 5pm. So we will see.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

phosdex posted:

So I guess my employer has a 22% discount with Verizon. The info is pretty vague, just says it’s on a plan that costs 39.95 /mo or more. But op says that doesn’t apply to the unlimited plans, is that still correct? Would it work on the prepaid?

Only on data capped plans, so no unlimited, and not on prepaid.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have a decent Verizon signal in my home but it occasionally drops to one bar. Is there any benefit for me to use WiFi calling or does the normal network do fine?

WiFi calling will help with signal. So no reason not to use it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=19920

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bitprophet posted:

What's my recourse, if any, when it seems like my local cell(s) are having data network problems? Looked around VZW's support site but there's nothing useful there, it all wants to pretend it's my phone's fault. Going by the OP I'm wondering if calling the Tier 2 support line would get me any answers (or be providing VZW with any useful feedback.)

It feels like network-level congestion or some recent degradation of network config/equipment to me:
  • Prior to a couple months ago, everything worked normally, both data and non-data.
  • Since then, the phone continues to register LTE signal, but actual network connectivity is gone; everything simply times out as if there's significant packet loss or very high latency. Web, Twitter, games, other apps, etc.
  • Non-data uses continue to work same as before - phone calls, non-iMessage texts, etc.
  • Affects my phone & my wife's phone equally (both iPhone SE on iOS 11.)
  • If we travel far enough away from our home neighborhood, data works again. For a while this had a very clear boundary and thus felt a lot like a single tower was screwed up.
  • Recently, the issue appears to have spread to a second nearby tower, though at least in this case the 2nd cell just feels extremely latent and not completely defunct.
  • It seemed better for a couple days after a neighborhood-wide power outage (:v:) but has quickly reverted to its prior malaise.

So again the main question is just...is there anything I can do about this at all or am I just at the mercy of whenever VZW notices or decides to allocate resources?

It's gone on long enough that I'm pondering switching providers again (ironic given when I moved here 7 years back, I had to switch from T-Mo because they had a permanent dead spot in my new apartment...)

Some part of cell phones is always that you are always at the mercy of he carriers, they all have disclaimers that they can’t guarantee 100% US coverage, etc.

All I know is I would call tier 2 tech support for sure, do whatever trouble shooting , have them file a ticket. If it keeps being an issue, I don’t know if I have an answer beyond ask to be let out of your payment plan or switch service.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

I am thinking of upgrading my wife to an iPhone 8 and taking advantage of the BOGO option to get my in-laws a smartphone. I didn't want to do this before because it necessitated trading in a phone, but it appears they've recently removed that requirement.

Suppose later on we exercise the annual upgrade option on my wife's phone and reset the installment plan, or just outright pay it off. Will that kill the bill credits?

The fine print uses the singular balance and line and not plural, so I'm assuming it's referring to the credits being applied against the "get one" line, but I don't want to go accidentally making a $350 mistake a year from now.

The credit for the free phone should be on be add a line. That one you can’t upgrade early or pay off without losing the credit.

So for your wife should be fine, she should be able to upgrade in 12 months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jury is out on how they are doing the unlock.

Allowing customers to unlock say, after 1 week of service: I’m ok with that. If they start doing wait 1-2 year poo poo then obviously that isn’t a great policy.

Verizon isn’t bullshitting with the fraud and theft problem. It’s a big issue. I have fraud customers come through my store daily. And while we catch it, places like Walmart, target, etc , are not exactly as thorough as the actual stores are. And sometimes it’s still hard to catch.

Most of it is people get stolen identities , come in with fake ID, intent is to sell phones outright overseas. I got the same stuff at ATT, but I would think Verizon gets hit harder because criminals know the phones are unlocked. Also, Equifax leaking half the country’s credit info doesn’t exactly help, I haven’t noticed a huge uptick since that came out, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Obviously I’ll always be a little biased, but it is an issue that needs safe guards, it’s not just to screw over customers.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Any Verizon users here have an old iPhone for Verizon they’re willing to sell? I’m looking for a first iPhone for my dear mother.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

My whole neighborhood has had mediocre-at-best service, and starting in the fall it looks like they began putting up those "small cell" sites.

The towers are plain old wood utility poles with what looks like an oversized coffee can bolted onto the very top, and they're building them out at like 1/3 mile intervals from one another. I noticed they must've finally switched them on, because yesterday I realized I was getting full bars on my phone at home when it was otherwise marginal.

I did a speed test from inside my living room and it pulled down 275Mbps, so I'm glad my Spotify won't go skipping anymore when I go on walks in the neighborhood.

Awesome to hear. What city?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Does Verizon still allow assumption of liability transfers for grandfathered unlimited accounts? I've been thinking about switching as I don't use as much data as I used to.

If so, does SA-Mart allow sales of accounts like that? I'd rather sell to a goon than deal with ebay nonsense.

Nope, that plan is now non transferable. Any transfer require going to a current rate plan now.

Goober Peas posted:

I got a weird email from Verizon today that was appreciated. I currently have the 8gb plan.

The gist was "we can move you to unlimited for the same rate or down to the 5 gb plan and save you $30 a month"

Glad to hear it, and it is correct since you only have 1 line.